Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAndy Probert's Enterprise NCC-1701-F

• vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work - and another Maya fellow! :)

Surely not the easiest shape to complete - but IA’m sure you have a great time working with Andy! I love how he thinks everything through. If you work with the kind of detail youA’ve done on the latest test, youA’ll get quite a monster in the end...

Hey Tobias,
    nice to hear from you :D Andy told me that you've done together the Enterprise-C model. Really one hell of a modeling you've done for that concept. I am fan of your craftsmanship as well, you've done really great models here :D

Yeh, I'm working in Maya (like more than 10 years now :D ) -really one of the best animation software's.

The shape was quite hard to achieve, because it is actually one big piece (except nacelles) and Ive decided to do it as standard polygon modeling. I am hoping for, that we get deep into the details (as much as Andy can handle ;) ). My idea was to approach it in realistic style (sharper edges etc.). In other words, to do it like a real ship (like those huge container ships). And at the end for materials will go full heavy metal ;) lol (physically correct materials).
    Starship wrote: »
    Other thing that IA’m thinking, is about the naceles. They looks a bit thin and short than it would be. As Gene asked for the "D", I suggest you to make them a little longer and extended a bit longer in the backside. ;)
    Other than that, youA’re doing a good work.

V_05.jpg

;)
    99515.jpg
    V_05.jpg 191.7K
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the shuttlebay going through the "neck," that's cool. Everything is looking good so far. :)

Personally, I think it's a good design that shows forward progress in technology. Remember, assuming the Sovereign-class is successful and the Ent-E doesn't meet an untimely demise like the Ent-C and Ent-D did, it could be in service for many decades, like the original and Ent-B were. The Ent-E was launched in 2372. If it's in space for 40, 50 years, you're talking about a launch date for the Ent-F well into the 25th century. Who knows what designs will look like then? What Andy has done with this design was show a radical departure in design that can happen after a long period of time, much as the Ent-D was a radical departure from the Ent-A. So, when you look at it that way, it works because you don't really know what ship design would be like at the time. Anywho, that's just my two cents on the matter. ;)
    Personally, I think it's a good design that shows forward progress in technology. Remember, assuming the Sovereign-class is successful and the Ent-E doesn't meet an untimely demise like the Ent-C and Ent-D did, it could be in service for many decades, like the original and Ent-B were. The Ent-E was launched in 2372. If it's in space for 40, 50 years, you're talking about a launch date for the Ent-F well into the 25th century. Who knows what designs will look like then? What Andy has done with this design was show a radical departure in design that can happen after a long period of time, much as the Ent-D was a radical departure from the Ent-A. So, when you look at it that way, it works because you don't really know what ship design would be like at the time. Anywho, that's just my two cents on the matter. ;)

Right on the mark ;) :D

Even though, I am not sure what time period would be in the picture, when talking with Andy, I got impression that situation is very similar with that. However, he never mentioned how many years could have passed from E to F, nor what century are we talking about :P
    There could have also been a big gap between ships. The Ent-C was destroyed in 2344, the -D didn't launch until 20 years later.

So, yeah, it can be from whatever time you want it to be. If the Federation is using transwarp or slipstream tech by then, that could also influence the ship's design. The smooth, flowing lines could aid its passing through a transwarp or slipstream conduit.
    So, yeah, it can be from whatever time you want it to be. If the Federation is using transwarp or slipstream tech by then, that could also influence the ship's design. The smooth, flowing lines could aid its passing through a transwarp or slipstream conduit.

Hehehe, nice way of thinking :thumb:

And one other good from that -no more cannibalizing and botched design of other/smaller ships. Every ship class will be designed as compact vehicle for itself and for specific reason or function ;)
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I like the shuttlebay going through the "neck," that's cool. Everything is looking good so far. :)

It would probably be better looking than what they have in STO for the F.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    I haven't dropped in on this thread in a while, but I am so happy that work is continuing on this ship! Personally, I LOVE the design. It's a perfect continuation to the 1701-D, and even furthers the whole "flowing, organic sculpture" look that Probert developed for the Galaxy-Class. I wouldn't change a thing about the design.
    vmblast wrote: »
    Few more beauty shots ;)

It's looking great so far. :D
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    You know, there is almost something "Arthur C. Clarke" about the lack of detail at this stage in the model. Seamless and monolithic. I would almost like to see a version of it done with minimal "greebling". No windows, very few feature except for maybe the glowy bits. Give it almost the chrome finish it has now and some markings. Give it the air of a truly "next level" in technology.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Ditto on what Tobias said.. Nice to have other Maya users around!

Looking good! all kind of shapes in there!
    I never took to that level of detail in my windows (usually so far away..) guess I need to start! :)
  • shawn001shawn0010 Posts: 0Member
    sojourner wrote: »
    You know, there is almost something "Arthur C. Clarke" about the lack of detail at this stage in the model. Seamless and monolithic. I would almost like to see a version of it done with minimal "greebling". No windows, very few feature except for maybe the glowy bits. Give it almost the chrome finish it has now and some markings. Give it the air of a truly "next level" in technology.

We are working on actually putting Andrew's Enterprise into space.

This is a "mock up" and it may look a little different, but its "state of the art" atmospheric reentry materials.

"The heat shielding on this is a "mock up" of a new material fabricated using Boeing Lightweight Ablator (BLA). BLA is a flight proven silicone-based ablative thermal protection material. BLA was used on the X-51 scramjet demonstrator and is the planned thermal protection material for the Boeing ST-100 crew capsule."

Shawns_F_001.jpg

Shawns_F_002.jpg
    99549.jpg99550.jpg
  • shawn001shawn0010 Posts: 0Member
    vmblast, awesome work on the ship.

Tobias, be great to converse with you sometime if possible. Big fan of your work as well.
    This is the preliminary material testing for base hull material color -duck egg blue. My idea is to make it close to how hull of the huge container ships looks like. It should be like a brushed titanium base with top coat protective layer.

However, its up to Andy at the end...maybe he envisioned something different for this ;)

F_materialTest_001.jpg

And here is some reference photo details.
    3386819919_e7e879dd11_o.jpg tijuca2.jpg Clipboard02.jpg
    99564.jpg99565.jpg99566.jpg99567.jpg
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    the more i see this design the less i like it - the primary hull looks like an upturned frying pan - the secondary hull is virtually non existant - the nacelles are far to pointy and seem to have a triangular cross section which is just not very starfleet and abit 1940's ish flash gordony - the handle of the frying pan is to long putting the primary hull way to high

some changes could make the design good but they aren't small tweaks they are big ones

find it hard to credit this is the same guy who designed the mighty D!!
  • USS MarinerUSS Mariner0 Posts: 0Member
    My main problem is the top surface of the the saucer. The "frying pan" point is accurate, and it really distracts from the rest of the ship's lines. I understand that it might be visually heavy to compensate for the extreme length of the neck, but I'd be interested to see how the saucer looks with a less severe upper saucer.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I just can't stop seeing a sink faucet.
    Its not finished yet :rolleyes:

A lot of changes coming up :cool:
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    find it hard to credit this is the same guy who designed the mighty D!!

well if you understood Probert's design language you can see this is very typically Probert- very simple, very unusual, elegant and spartan. I think its a bit too "tall" myself but not by much, we're talking 10, 15% here.
    well if you understood Probert's design language you can see this is very typically Probert- very simple, very unusual, elegant and spartan. I think its a bit too "tall" myself but not by much, we're talking 10, 15% here.

Im currently working on Andy's latest revisions :thumb: (a lot of modifications) and I will say on this for now -saucer is 10% lower now than before. :p
    Going to be interesting to see how it develops with revisions and changes as it goes. Is Andy mainly giving you written notes, or are you getting the odd sketch or diagram? Would be interesting to see any sketches and notes from Andy, if you have permission to share them, of course.

Might I suggest developing a new window shape? Maybe its time to move on from the tall rounded slots to something different?
    Just did a rough photoshop adjustment, I think having a curved saucer edge and making it slightly lower provides an interesting result. Just an idea...
    99610.jpg
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    First I was like OMGWTF is this when I first saw it, but I have to admit it grows on you when you take a step back and look at it.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
    Going to be interesting to see how it develops with revisions and changes as it goes. Is Andy mainly giving you written notes, or are you getting the odd sketch or diagram? Would be interesting to see any sketches and notes from Andy, if you have permission to share them, of course.

Might I suggest developing a new window shape? Maybe its time to move on from the tall rounded slots to something different?

We had conference skype session months back. He showed me his sketch book for the F (just rough ideas), and we discussed about shape and details forming the shape. He had started working on the F in google sketchup himself, however he was not satisfied with it (because 3D is not his stronger suit as he put it). Ive used this rough model as a base template. After that Andy got very busy (he worked a lot on b"Blood and Chrome" I think) and had no time till end of the year. Now, he continues working on ideas (new dimensions 1620ft/494m). He did some screenshots of the old model and painted over in photoshop the modifications for starters. I am hoping that Ill get some sketches with details soon.

Andy's idea was that this ship evolved from the E and its sharper/flatter hull design, because you cant just jump over it and forget it that it was in the sequence. But he wanted to bring it back to the D ethos again.

Ill ask Andy for sharing here some drafts. If he's ok with it, Ill post it ;)
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    I like it...sleek....sexy.....swift
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Just did a rough photoshop adjustment, I think having a curved saucer edge and making it slightly lower provides an interesting result. Just an idea...

That aft view made me almost think that this ship slides out of the back of a larger Galaxy-class like vessel.

When I look at the aft of the Enterprise-D saucer support pylon, and how wide it is, I can see a smaller ship like this nesting within it, with the small nacelles like that nesting inside the larger outer curve of the ENT Ds nacelles.

Something to think about.
    May I offer some ideas? Here are the issues I have with possible solutions to them.

heavy-neck.jpg
    fix-neck_edited-1.jpg
    May I offer some ideas? Here are the issues I have with possible solutions to them.

Wow, these are some nice ideas and love how this can easily fit on a different class starship, in the same time period as the F :)

I think Andy will follow his own solutions and designs and we all need to have a little more faith in his perception, understanding of structure and engineering skills. Im sure he knows what he's doing ;)

Because these are some nice ideas and design, my suggestion to you is to make it. :D

-Make it so! :thumb:
    Thanks.

I'm sure Andy's ideas will be much better than my own, this is just me being a problem solver (it stands to reason that the F would have much nicer new tech that would allow for that ship design). In fact, I'm sure that a lot of my issues are already in mind, but don't seem visible on the current render (particularly the top image where it tips).

As for the ability to fit on other ships, given that Starfleet likes flat, it makes sense that their tech would move to accommodate that style.