Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3D WIP for Vir Inter Astrum universe

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    It's awesome never the less! The missile armed version are equipped by FTL missiles (seems a bit small for me then), or anti-fighter missiles?

Thanx. I just have to find materials that will look good for the hull of the ships. But this is quite hard for Kerkythea, since there are very few "premade" materials :(

And yes, those are the same FTL missiles as on frigate. Interceptor missiles are packed in two hexagonal pods on top and bottom of missile-carrying module.
    Looks more like ftl missiles to me, for example, Yan class frig is 77meters long and its antifighter missiles pods carry much smaller missiles, 4 per pod.

If you look back at what stonecold said, this corvette is not that small, the look and size of the missile pods looks coherent with the weaponry we see on his frigates.

As usual, your work is awesome Stonecold. I'd buy two or three of these babies to fulfill my dreams of space piracy :)

*Setting destination to Tortuga Space Station*

Thanx, my work is far from being awesome, but I`ll try to fix this to some extent :)

Yes, "supply" corvette is 114 meters long, and missile corvette is 95 meters long. Spin habitat on supply corvette have ~30 meter radius of rotation. As you may remember, HRE use smaller missiles for defensive purpose, while other countries mostly use larger "multi-purpose" missiles, capable of damagin capital ships at close range. HRE simply don`t need the extra "close range punch", since their lasers are lethal at that distances.

As for piracy - yes, some variations of this corvettes could end in the hands of criminals. However, most likely, in configs, similar to Yan`s "gunslinger" variant. Its hard to believe that pirates would be able to resupply FTL missiles easy enough.
  • CifuCifu0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I'm always take the Devil's Advocate role, but i had to point out the FTL missile-carrier Corvette with 4 FTL Missile plus one Large Laser Canon, Two block of anti-fighter missile, and two CIWS are close enough to the Малахит class Frigate (4 FTL missile, two Large Laser Canon, six CIWS and 2x5 block of anti-fighter missile). Even if the Corvette are probably have much lower normal space and FTL speed and/or range, this weaponry are seems to be a bit overpowered. :)

If i check the other nation Space Forces, this kind of firepower are unparalel for such a small battleship. The CEGD Yan's only have one double Laser canon and 16 anti-fighter missile or three double laser canon. The UOE's Sabro class capable to carry 2x4 short range non-FTL anti-ship missile or two block of anti-fighter missile, the Jetlanco have one point-defense laser and 72 anti-fighter missile. The US Rio Grande class carry only two FTL missile, 24 anti-fighter missile and one laser canon.
    Well, I'm always take the Devil's Advocate role, but i had to point out the FTL missile-carrier Corvette with 4 FTL Missile plus one Large Laser Canon, Two block of anti-fighter missile, and two CIWS are close enough to the Малахит class Frigate (4 FTL missile, two Large Laser Canon, six CIWS and 2x5 block of anti-fighter missile). Even if the Corvette are probably have much lower normal space and FTL speed and/or range, this weaponry are seems to be a bit overpowered. :)

Keyword is "Cheap". Some nations and some systems will be unable to field anything more or less equall to Малахит - class. However such corvette will do the trick for a system guard. It have relatively low FTL range (enough to get to any point in the system and, with additional coolant tanks - to nearby systems). It is virtually unarmored, so it will hardly be able to stand against any frigate of any nation (with some luck anything possible, but that`s exclusion, not the rule) since the frigate can survive the direct hit and continue combat, but corvette is hardly capable of this. Additionaly, Frigate is more maneuverable, then corvette with such config. So, basicly "missile boat" is a "FTL-missile delivery platform". BTW, laser cannon on a corvette equipped with a smaller lens and is less powerfull and accurate then those on HRE capital ships. The ship is build with outdated technology (thou on modern plants). However, the ship have good points. It`s cheap to build. It is easy to maintain even in relatively low-tech colonies. Easy to find and produce the spare parts. The ship is very durable, since all components are proven themselves over long time. So it makes an exelent choise for a "budget" substitute for a smaller capital ships.

It`s like you are trying to compare IS-7 with a modern T-90. Yes, IS-7 carried monstrous 130mm cannon, weighed 68 tonns and runs at 60km/h over difficult terrain, and modern T-90 with it`s 125mm cannon looks inferior to this ancient behemoth... however it is easy to guess, wich tank will win in 1 on 1 duel.
    I take your point, but we are talking about weapon systems. The Corvette are equipped by the same type of the FTL missiles, as the larger capital ships. It's like the IS-7 get the T-90's 125mm 2A46M gun and the Refleks anti-tank missile system. Even is the armour, the off-road capability and the night-vision equipment are outdated, the "teeth's" are the same. Yes, it's cheaper, but many times the cheaper, but still effective ship are far more usefull, than the opposite.

Even if the ships are cheaper, the FTL missiles are probably not, so i'm wandering why the UOE, the US and the other space navy's are not take such ships in order. Well, my bad, perhaps the CEGD's have the Han class Guided Weapons Destroyer (armed with 8 (FTL?) anti-ship missile and a sole laser cannon), but that's one of the first capital ship desinged in Via-verse, and maybe won't fit to the current Via-verse.

And actually it's new to me, to the Corvette laser system are weaker than the Frigate and BattleFrigate lasers, i belive in the first sight they are the same.

Afterall, i'm only suprised a bit what kind of powerfull beast emerged from this cute little Corvette. ^^
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    As far as we now, the missiles may very well be as antiquated as the lasers or any electronic system onboard. Even if the explosive charge is the same, i guess in terms of FTL range, precisions of the jump, quality of the STL terminal flight, ECM and ECCM, quality of the shape (most missile probably have directed energy bombs) they can't compete with modern ones.
    Still, a civilian smuggler trying to break a blockade would get its butt toasted.
    Well, laser looks the same (the shape is almost identical) however, the diameter of the lens and the size of the whole system is different. Without the frigate nearby, it`s hard to see the difference, for sure. Missiles are supposed to be the same as on frigates, and their cost is comparable with the cost of the rest of the ship. Version with FTL missiles is surely an overkill for a patrool mission, it supposed to be a substitute for normal frigate, to those who can`t afford them. For "patrol duty" much less armed ships are used, with STL or cheaper FTL missiles, or second laser turret. The frigate can even be configured t carry 2 pairs of fighters (without hangars - on external docking hardpoints) to serve as micro-carrier.

As for missiles, my idea that main warhead variant will be a simple kinetic rod. Or multiple rods, to ensure the hit. This is no way the official info, since it was never discussed as far as I remember :D BTW, corvette isn`t officialy approved by Bbzw2 too, so he can scrap is as "too powerfull" for sure ;) (while in my opinion it would be better to "upgun" the obsolete ships as their shedule for re-design comes)
    Khay wrote: »
    As far as we now, the missiles may very well be as antiquated as the lasers or any electronic system onboard. Even if the explosive charge is the same, i guess in terms of FTL range, precisions of the jump, quality of the STL terminal flight, ECM and ECCM, quality of the shape (most missile probably have directed energy bombs) they can't compete with modern ones.
    Still, a civilian smuggler trying to break a blockade would get its butt toasted.

It's hard to tell, until the background are not fixed, but i'm started vith the fact the Corvette use the same missile-container model as the Frgate and Battlefrigate, so the FTL missiles are the same.

Yes, there is possibility to the container itself is the same, but the missiles are evolved over the time, so perhaps this anticipation is actually wrong.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Well, laser looks the same (the shape is almost identical) however, the diameter of the lens and the size of the whole system is different. Without the frigate nearby, it`s hard to see the difference, for sure. Missiles are supposed to be the same as on frigates, and their cost is comparable with the cost of the rest of the ship. Version with FTL missiles is surely an overkill for a patrool mission, it supposed to be a substitute for normal frigate, to those who can`t afford them. For "patrol duty" much less armed ships are used, with STL or cheaper FTL missiles, or second laser turret. The frigate can even be configured t carry 2 pairs of fighters (without hangars - on external docking hardpoints) to serve as micro-carrier.

So actually the whole Soviet Space Force are basicly flexible force, if i'm understand. Each ship can be configured for the needed task.
    Stonecold wrote: »
    As for missiles, my idea that main warhead variant will be a simple kinetic rod. Or multiple rods, to ensure the hit. This is no way the official info, since it was never discussed as far as I remember :D BTW, corvette isn`t officialy approved by Bbzw2 too, so he can scrap is as "too powerfull" for sure ;) (while in my opinion it would be better to "upgun" the obsolete ships as their shedule for re-design comes)

Why need a "rod"? If you make the missle frame strong enough, that's do the job, and you need to be made strong to whitstand the forces of the maneuvers and resillient enough against the CIWS lasers and kinetic canon rounds. For a APFSDS round, the "rod" is understandable, because the shapes and the aerodinamics. But in space those are not really relevant anymore...
    So actually the whole Soviet Space Force are basicly flexible force, if i'm understand. Each ship can be configured for the needed task.

It supposed to be Russian, not Soviet, but could be exported enywhere ;) This is sort of multy-purpose "lego" ship that could be configured virtually for any given task, but will allways be inferior to dedicated warship.

Why need a "rod"? If you make the missle frame strong enough, that's do the job, and you need to be made strong to whitstand the forces of the maneuvers and resillient enough against the CIWS lasers and kinetic canon rounds. For a APFSDS round, the "rod" is understandable, because the shapes and the aerodinamics. But in space those are not really relevant anymore...

Well, "rod" was supposed to be easier to breach ship`s armor (smaller frontal projection), however, that could be just a termin for "kinetic kill warhead".
    At last some update in this tread too. This time the WIP of front-line bomber. While looking much like it`s fighter ancestor, the bomber is significantly larger. The machine is a two-seater, with the crew sitting side-by-side, like in Su-34, wich was the main inspiration for the design. It is built with the same level of technology, as the latest fighter of HRE, so, despite it`s huge size and significant mass, the bomber is nearly as agile as most previous generation fighters and well-suited for anti- warship warfare.

su244.th.jpg
    su2441.th.jpg
    su2442.th.jpg
    su2443.th.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    thats some good Su'ing! nice
    Thanx Liam. I`m still far from your level of modelling (I mean that helicopter :D)

Little refining of the sketch. As you can see from the image with transparent model, most of the work was internal :)

su244transparent.th.jpg
    su2444.th.jpg
    su2445.th.jpg
    su2446.th.jpg
    su2447.th.jpg
    nah your not trust me, youve learnt SU so fast its amazing, much faster than I ever did. I wish I had found a 3D community who used SU when I first started however instead of trial and error by myself for years althought that allowed me to get in depth with the software I think.
    Anyway the fighter is great I was wondering when its done if I could use it to populate my carrier scene for the helicopter im doing. I will just fold up the wings to create a carrier version to be in the background of the hanger? You will get full credit in the renders of course just ive spent so long on the helicopter and still much to do dont want to have to create even more models for the scene!
    Thanx for your kind words :)

As for re-use of the bomber (That`s bomber, not fighter, and it`s quite huge - 28 meters long :D) - i see no problems with this. Wings could be folded allready (forward-swept wingtips could be folded). However, there`s still a lot of work to be done both on exterior and interior of the model. And the especially hated texturing process >.<.
    cheers mate! yeah ive already figured out where it will fold, dont worry im only after the exterior ill create my own low poly cockpit and textures myself. Its only going to be a background model anyway but close enough to be appreciated. Going to have 2 in the hanger and one on the side elevator going up with some tech guys
    Cockpit is allready in place - it`s non-transparent. So, for a background model it will do without the internals. All is left - to do a landing gear and minor external tweaks/details.
    Added the landing gear. It isn`t too accurate for a close-up renders, but will do for a background model, I think. Stil have to incorporate a ladder into the frontal landing gear.

su2448.th.jpg
    su2449.th.jpg
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    I think this is my favorite small craft you have ever done Nick, it's really incredible!
    Thanx a lot, glad, that you like it. The idea and rough concept of the bomber is made by Pan, final model and aethetic changes - made by me ;)
    Almost complete, testing camo pattern... Damned thing crashed on the second render, before I`ve saved the colours. So, have to render from the beginning tommorow. Probably, will add some more details before that...

su24410.th.jpg
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    This is one sweet plane. My only concern would be with the placement of the main gear as it looks to be too far aft of the center of gravity which would cause a lot of stress on the backbone.
    Well, probably you right. I used PAK-FA (T-50) as a reference, its landing gear position is close to what you can see in my plane. Thanx for comments and advice, I`ll try to be more accurate in the next model design ;)
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    It's all good. Still great work. Cool camo. :)
    Thats one sexy plane stonecold cant wait for BBZ to paint it up! and to put it in my carrier scene!
    Pre-final stage. All what left are vernier thrusters.
    Few diagrams with explanations ;)
    su244diagramm.th.jpg
    su244diagramm1t.th.jpg

And actual renders. Note the difference in colours - have to match them more precisely.
    su24411.th.jpg
    su24412.th.jpg
    su24413.th.jpg
    su24414.th.jpg
    su24414.th.jpg
    su24415.th.jpg
    Almost finished. After the posing, found out, that I`ve accidentay deletered the ladder, who knows how long ago. Have to re-biuld it from the scratch. And still, I`m not satisfied with the colours of the cammo. Will fix in the final render.
    BTW, when I`ve turned "meshlights" on, it took 20 minutes to make 1% of the raytraysing. So, there is no "terminator" camera effects, sorry.

su24416.th.jpg
    that loks great and you folder the wings up, bonus!
    Well, the wings are supposed to be foldable on all Sukhoi designs, made by me ;) On this one I`ve just detailed the point of fold a bit. Quite poorly, but, I guess, this will do for a background render. Looks like I will finish this model in a day or two, and then you can play with this plane too :)
    cheers email it to [email protected] please, thanks very much. Does this aircraft have an internal cannon?
    2x 30mm rapid-firing railguns. It is visible on "transparent" diagram in the previous post.
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    Thermonuclear jet turbines... cool! Is that bird atmosphere bound?