Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3D WIP for Vir Inter Astrum universe

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Not exactly for VIA-verse, but here`s the finished (more or less) model of hand for my yet unfinished mecha.
    mechaarm.th.jpg
    mechaarm1.th.jpg
    mechaarm2.th.jpg
    Based of of the avatar`s amp suit design, as well as the mecha itself. However, there are quite a few improuvements made by me :).
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    amazing? you have to manually position those or have you rigged it somehow?
    Well, there are no "bones" in sketchup. Sketchy physics seems to work instead of them, but I have to conquer that plugin yet ;) In case of arms and other complex articulated objects, I`ve worked out some sort of workaround.
    1) you have to mark all joints (those orange-black circles serve that purpose)
    2) all segments have to be components to avoid merging
    3) then you group the components (in case of hand - from fingertips- upward). 1`st group - fingertip and the next segment. Second group include first group and the next segment and so on up to the palm. This way, you can allways bend finger in required joint and be sure, that everything that is bellow this joint will bend alltogether (since those segments are grouped and you rotate the whole group)
    Some update of the mecha design. Added the cockpit, chest armor and "backpack" with the 250 hp 6-cylinder diesel engine as a power generator. Half of the backpack is ommited to show the engine.

Lower legs will suffer major re-design to be more simple and robust, as well as to increase the fuel capacity.

viamecha4.th.jpg

viamecha5.th.jpg
    Redesigned leg skeletal structure in favour of more durable and robust hydraulics. Also, managed to make hip a bit smaller, by moving some hydraulics to the inside of the "bone". Next will be fuel tanks, then torso`s internal structure (yes, for now, the armor plates are hanging in the air ;)).

viamecha6.th.jpg
    viamecha7.th.jpg
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    [Uhm]

Notice that I like mechas more than spaceships and that I'm doing a "research" [quite a big word for my work but I don't know any others to explain it] about mecha designs from the beginning to nowadays, and notice that you're getting a really nice result, surely better than your "inspiration-font" (I mean the Avatar's mecha)...

well noticing all this, isn't it unbalanced?

Looking just at the design, that backspace, I mean the engine-box, seems to be really heavy..
    It will may be balanced by some kind of weapon?
    I'm just talking about the design, what it needs to seem balanced is just another element that leans out from the frontside..

Most of the mechas that have volumes on the back are balanced by long arms with weapons or by their own pose: instead standing up they're always inclined forward.

And now that you added the engine box legs seems to be really smaller.. maybe too small.. or maybe just too "close" to support all the weight.... could you enlarge them [just 10-20%] and put more distance between? It could help a lot fixing the "sense of unbalance"

[All this is about what it seems to be and not what it could be in the real world.]
    I.g.(. wrote: »
    [Uhm]

Notice that I like mechas more than spaceships and that I'm doing a "research" [quite a big word for my work but I don't know any others to explain it] about mecha designs from the beginning to nowadays, and notice that you're getting a really nice result, surely better than your "inspiration-font" (I mean the Avatar's mecha)...

well noticing all this, isn't it unbalanced?

Looking just at the design, that backspace, I mean the engine-box, seems to be really heavy..
    It will may be balanced by some kind of weapon?
    I'm just talking about the design, what it needs to seem balanced is just another element that leans out from the frontside..

Most of the mechas that have volumes on the back are balanced by long arms with weapons or by their own pose: instead standing up they're always inclined forward.

Well, partialy it is balanced by batteries under the frontal armor plate, and the plate itself (armor is quite heavy, you know ;) and frontal armor plate is about 60mm thick). Also, that is not a normal standing position - it`s just easier to model around the standing straight frame. On the late models, I`m going to use turboshaft engines, they are significantly smaller and lighter (around three times, actually). Let`s say, this one is the prototype, built around more conventional and reliable diesel engine.
    And now that you added the engine box legs seems to be really smaller.. maybe too small.. or maybe just too "close" to support all the weight.... could you enlarge them [just 10-20%] and put more distance between? It could help a lot fixing the "sense of unbalance"

[All this is about what it seems to be and not what it could be in the real world.]

Legs are quite hard to change. Spacing them wider apart will cause problem with keeping balance while walking or standing on one leg. Longer legs will also make the mecha higher (larger target profile) and less balanced.There will be fuel tanks on the lower legs, it will make legs look more beefy :).
    And here are few renders of arm and leg bending angle.

viamecha8.th.jpg
    viamecha9.th.jpg
    So I'll wait to see the final looking :)
    Finished the fuel tanks and started to add armored covers on the legs. Some are not quite finished yet.

Fuel capacity of leg-mounted tanks seems to be enough for 12 hours of non stop work with heavy load. Power-saving performance can extend the work-time to about 24 hours.
    viamecha13.th.jpg
    viamecha12.th.jpg
    viamecha10.th.jpg
    viamecha11.th.jpg
    That's really better now.
    Talking about optical stability it is increased but placing all the bust a little bit lower will helps a lot and there should be more distance between legs, certainly, without touching the arms..
    You could also get a great resul placing some sort of protectives elements on the knees wich attract the eyes on itself. It colud seem silly but it will give a lot of stability. And don't forget to make it leaning forward because the side view is still a bit unbalanced by the engine. PM me if you didn't understand.. It's not easy to explain by words an optical concept..
    Well, I`ve got what you are speaking about :)

1) Knee pads are under construction, I`m still not sure how to shape them. Aside from "optical balance", they are needed to cover upper knee motors from frontal view and to provide stable fulcrum in kneeled position.
    2) Also, some hip armor plates and quite massive armored cover of the lower abdomen (the same design as the chest armor) will shift the optical balance forward a bit. It`s also not only decorative, but required to protect the legs of the operator.
    Knee pads lol.. If you accept hints:

http://digilander.libero.it/Il_grande_Cecco/viamecha10mod.jpg

[made in photoshop]

very simple in design but with the element took from the foot it should greatly catches the eyes and I'm sure given your modelling skills it will be perfect :)
    I`m thinking about something a bit smaller :) Thanx for the hint anyway.
    Well, funny thing, I`ve ended with knee-protection even bigger, then I.g.(. suggested :)

Also, the first attempt to conquer the Thea renderer. Cheesy "olive metallic" paint is a standard material for thea.
    viamecha14.jpg
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    It's nice to have news of your project. The recent progress of the model looks great.
    viamecha1.png

Some update. Added hydraulic pumps to the colar and to the lower abdomen. Added lower body armor and ground tracking sensor system. Will do more renders tonight.
    Very nice Stonecold. Very nice to see you've followed my little hints XD
    but maybe with such big knee protections it could be better if they're incorporated in the lower leg.
    It's just an impression, looking at the global looking of your mecha
    I`ll think about this, however, most likely on current model the design of the knee will remain unchanged. The main reason - since the whole thing`s internals are quite complex. The "protector" is devided into two parts - lower one houses the ground tracking sensor, while upper one is little more then storage bay and shock absorbtion pyston. That`s another reason for such high knee-guards - you can place there something useful, like spare ammo, battery or tool. This design will place the required item just into the reach of hands.
    How many degrees of freedom do the hip articulations have?
    On a aesthetic and functional point of view the feet look uncomfortably narrow. Some kind of toes for balance sensing and correcting would look nice as well as useful, but that may be overengineering the whole thing.
    Hip joints have 3 degrees of freedom (front-back, left-right and around the vertical axis), same as normal human. Feet seems to be ok, for the estimated mass, however, this could be changed, closer to the completion of the project. Most likely, I won`t include toes, but the feet surface can be increased. I`m aiming at 1kg per 1 sqr centimeter at maximum payload, while standing an one feet. Current setup can carry up to 4.5 tonnes. This will supposedly make the mecha able to go anywhere where the tanks can go, but with better speed over broken terrains.
    Belated update. Side by side - current state of internal frame and outer shell. Internals of the chest area are not completed yet. Outer shells of the arms are not done. Shoulder, chest, abdomen and some leg covers are yet to be detailed more then they are now. Head/sensors turret modelling isn`t even started.

viamecha.jpg

Also, I`ve desided to include this design in my own alt. universe "Dual Sun", that was once made by me for a single RPG campaign. Currently, it looks like the universe is going to revive for a new adventures, so I`m adding new and detailing/streamlining the old stuff.

Current mecha will be the BMP-11, Soviet`s first Infantry Fighting Machine.
    Since VIA - universe is on stall, to avoid the multiplication of never-ending WIP treads, I`ll post the "Dual Sun" WIP projects here.
    Another minor update - mostly the detalisation of the exterior (handles, slings, wievports for secondary sensors, etc.) . Also, I`ve added the internal frame of the chest area and pair of battaries (not visible on the render) and boarding hatches (frontal one is visible).
    viamecha15.jpg
    Building of the head/turred started.

4fbcab67cd6abd4ef6957c6846249920.png
    Trying to make sort of "faceplate" with at least some protection for the optics. Damn PKT`s don`t want to fit inside the head, and I don`t want to saw off the barels, so, chainguns will poke outside, ruining the sleek look of the head.

190d09a41f78cb00aa5647d6dd051838.jpg
    Why am I feeling a sort of PatlaborSense? XD
    Btw.. the head.. why should it be so human like? A paraboloid "cap" armor plate that close the shape of the body isn't enought? something like that should give a better protection..
    Those are not a viewports, those are secondary cameras placement (its impossible, since the cheast is independant from the cockpit area). And yes, the shape is borrowed from Patlabor ;). The shape of the head - mostly for style. The "chin" is really unnecessary. I`ll place there the servos for the rotation of the camera block, but it could be done other way. Also, the simple shape won`t do, since I have to integrate all - the dome for the radar and the leveling mechanism for the chainguns, as well as the package of optical sensors into one piece.

However, the main reason is a stylistical choice. I wanted to have some sort of a mix of both "pragmatic hollywood" and "stylistical anime" feelings.
    Basic shape of the head is finished. Also, some basic shape of the arm`s armored plating is done.
    By the way, any idea, how to make "self illuminated" object in Thea? Or how to work with light sourses? Actually, I want to make "terminator-style" IR optics, glowing behind the face plate.
    viamechaupd.png
    Great lighting for your last pic but please, don't use that view another time.. it makes your work horrible.

Anyway I think you're mixing too much ideas on this mecha:
    Each part has it's own style and now there is too much contrast. You should choose a layout with just some focal elements and use it all over the mecha.
    IE
    the kneepads: big, curved, 4 trapezoidal caps, black on the top.
    shoulders and upper arm: irregular faceted, multi-shaped, quite rigid and "constructed" looking.
    lower arm: simple, clean, rigid, "regular lined".

I'm not saying that those "themes" or "layouts" or "styles" are bad fore some reason, I'm just saying they're too much used at the same time on different parts..
    Keep some Ideas for the next generations of mechas..
    The design elements will be smoothed somewhat, because detelization isn`t finished yet. There will be "trapzoid caps" and some more "irregular shapes" on the arms. Probably, I`ll even add the "rubber" parts, like those on knees, if I find there to put them. There will be some more screws on the knee pads, shoulder pads and lower arms also, to make them look more "mechanical".
    This head seems to be begging for a headshot.

I don't know how hard your "Dual Sun" setting is (I think it would help us a lot give more significant opinion if you talked a little bit about it, i you have the time), but i agree with I.G.(. that the head doesn't works really well along the rest of the mecha. For the no-nonsense VIA universe i think it wouldn't be okay, but again, we can't have an opinion on the way it suits the Dual Sun setting without more information about it.

I really like the legs/torso assembly, but the arms look a bit off to me, too, there is an element between the torso and the actual arm, where the arm is affixed, which put the arm further apart the torso, and slighlty upper (i hope my grammar is remotely correct). I don't know what it is supposed to be, but it seems to me it is the reason i find the arm/torso assembly unbalanced.
    I think the mech would look better with a more compact design of this area, and when you're a 4 meters tall war mecha, offering a slighlty smaller silhouette is always welcome (again, this element may have an absolutely legitimate reason to be there, then disregard my comment). Turning the fierce shoulder-padded shiny cybernetic knight into a brutal and compact giant metal war gorilla may push its level of awesomeness to a whole new height. :) (seriously, who doesn't want giant metal war gorillas ? ^^)

Plus, by pushing the arms down, you wouldn't need such a huge overly high mounted optical system to see over the shoulders. That... head! That... girafesque neck! ^^

But yes, the stylistical anime element would mostly disappear from the design.