Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3D WIP for Vir Inter Astrum universe

StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
edited June 2013 in Work in Progress #1
This is a wip thread for VIA - universe. The models are more of 3D-blueprint, than actual models, so, I guess, they are permanent WIP`s ;) If the model will fit into universe, you will see the result in VIA thread some day.

Comments, critics and advices are welcomed.

Here is the first one under construction. Should be the destroyer class spaceship fielded by RE, for quite a long time. As you can see, I`m building the model from the internals outside - rear section of the ship still have no support structure or external armored hull.

The bridge and central section are mostly a placeholder (but the shape will be somewhat close to this).

destroyerconcept2.th.jpg

destroyerconcept3.th.jpg
101625.jpg
Post edited by Stonecold on
Tagged:

• J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! I'm a bit confused about how the spin habitats fold up. Also, what are those components aft of the lasers and forward of the bridge? Cargo? Box launchers for antiship missiles?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I like the overall design a lot - specifically the bow and the engines. Overall, the model "feels" like it belongs in the VIA-verse.

RE is the Russian Empire, right? The ship kinda has an old-school pre-WWI dreadnought/armored cruiser feel to it's aesthetic - it looks almost like it could have been in the Russian fleet at Tsushima Straights.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! I'm a bit confused about how the spin habitats fold up.

Thanx. The connection to the rail is articulated, and can flip the habitat at 90 degrees for thrust gravity position. On pics there are three positions - spin gravity (habitats parallel to the ship and spinning), thrust gravity (habitats perpendiculat to the ship) and combat (habitat closed).
    Also, what are those components aft of the lasers and forward of the bridge? Cargo? Box launchers for antiship missiles?

Hangar bays for two fighters. Also in two positions - cruise and catapult launch. Fighters can be launched in both positions, but if launched from linear catapult - they can save some propellant. Just after the lasers there are another two hangars for shuttles or additional fighters, buth those are standard ones, without articulation.
    RE is the Russian Empire, right? The ship kinda has an old-school pre-WWI dreadnought/armored cruiser feel to it's aesthetic - it looks almost like it could have been in the Russian fleet at Tsushima Straights.

Yes, RE stands for Russian Empire. As for the ship - I`ve started at something like space station with thrusters, but eventually, the design started to look more and more like naval ship. Rear section thrusters will be mostly covered by armored hull, it`s an internal structure, after all :)

As another design note - the external hull is NOT sealed, its just for protection purpose. Actual sealed area of the ship is very small, including habitats, part of central section and a few corridors in the front and rear parts of the ship. And of course, hangars are sealed during the maintenance.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    I like this design...only thing missing is a good render!
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    I really like the look of the design, the engines (fore and aft) and the lasers (I tried convincing bbzwbbzw from the start to use domes instead of barrels), and the unpressurized hull (which is needed for a proper Whipple shield). But, the design comes off as significantly over complicated.

The complexity of the spin system, not just for the crew but for the fighter hangers is redundant, can be remedied by just using decks perpendicular to the line of thrust, and modules which swing out from the front while spun up. You can also put the skirts of the modules on the spine to reduce the mass that needs to be spun up. That will cut down on mass and mechanical complexity dramatically, making the ship cheaper in construction and maintenance. You could also make it so the ship doesn't spin the modules separately from the ship, but instead spins the entire ship and uses an internal flywheel for more efficient spin breaking. This eliminates a spin collar exposed to space, and makes the spin system far more robust since it's based on the maneuvering system, which will be redundant and which already exists.

Giving the hanger decks gravity is admirable, because even slight gravity would simplify maintenance. But, if you use spin gravity, then you could have a deck which rotates parallel to spin, not constantly but to just flip the fighter out for launch. In the close position, with the ship spinning, which makes the deck's apparent gravity outward, you have the gravity you need for work. You can't work while under thrust, but you wouldn't be able to anyway since the ship don't use continuous thrust gravity. The hanger really needs robots for under thrust fighter work, including in-combat launches. Especially since launch involves evacuating the deck to depressurize. In this case, a small portion of the deck flips 180 degrees. If the ship is spinning, the fighter can just release and will be flung outward, or it can stay attached and be launched by rail even under spin or acceleration changes. That will complicate what needs to be compensated for in launching, but killing the ship's maneuvers is worse than a complicated fighter launch. I wonder if that principle is similar to US all weather, all hour, carrier operations. If that's the case, there would be stellar navies that won't do in-combat fighter launches, they'll only launch when in the clear. Besides, with this ship, two fighters would be more for scouting than anything, wouldn't they?

Really cool ship, I had a lot of fun thinking about it and you're obviously putting a lot of thought into it, too. :)
    Thanx for comments.

sorceress21 - Sorry, no renderer at all, and won`t be any, at least untill model will be nearing its completion. As I`ve said before - it`s a blueprint, not a 3D-art model. Also, I like "anime outline" that sketchup uses, and have no time to texture the model correctly :(

Major Diarrhia - actually, design is quite robust, as far as I can see, you are wrong on several points of the design.
    The complexity of the spin system, not just for the crew but for the fighter hangers is redundant, can be remedied by just using decks perpendicular to the line of thrust, and modules which swing out from the front while spun up.
    Giving the hanger decks gravity is admirable, because even slight gravity would simplify maintenance. But, if you use spin gravity, then you could have a deck which rotates parallel to spin, not constantly but to just flip the fighter out for launch. In the close position, with the ship spinning, which makes the deck's apparent gravity outward, you have the gravity you need for work. You can't work while under thrust, but you wouldn't be able to anyway since the ship don't use continuous thrust gravity. The hanger really needs robots for under thrust fighter work, including in-combat launches. Especially since launch involves evacuating the deck to depressurize. In this case, a small portion of the deck flips 180 degrees. If the ship is spinning, the fighter can just release and will be flung outward, or it can stay attached and be launched by rail even under spin or acceleration changes.

Well, fighter hangars do NOT spin around the ship and have no gravity during the ballistic flight. However, during constant thrust, gravity in hangar is directed normally. Both launch and recovery is complicated, if you use fixed hangars perpendicular to the thrust direction. If you use some sort of lifting ramp for the fighter to be rolled into vertical position for launch - you have to use much more of sealed space, more hull armor and more space between the hangars. It is really much more simple, to tilt the whole hangar in vertical position, and use one robust joint in place of the complex launch system. Such design will allow maintenance over the constant thrust, and allow required launch without loosing the ship maneuverability. Also, the fighter CAN be launched from the hangar in "storage" position, just without using the catapult.
    You could also make it so the ship doesn't spin the modules separately from the ship, but instead spins the entire ship and uses an internal flywheel for more efficient spin breaking.

This could be done, for sure, but you`ll need the main hull of the ship to be totally unmanned, since the ship constantly spinning around you is a bit... disturbing. Also, the hull should be completely symmetrical, with observation and radar system at central axis, to avoid unnecessary errors in navigation. Well, that`s not usable with this design.
    Besides, with this ship, two fighters would be more for scouting than anything, wouldn't they?

Yes, more for surveying and precise weapon delivery/support/interception. We`ve talked with bbzwbbzw, about how to make fighters really usable, without "star-wars magic", and my opinion was, that larger ships are unable to performe precize FTL jumps, unlike smaller ships. This way, fighters and shuttles, became "faster" then the capital ships, much like in seagoing navy. This ship design uses the same concept - fighters are used in-system to "get there fast, stike what you can and get back", while capital ship moves in real-space, providing long-range fire.

Also, you are forgetting the payload capabilities of RE fighters. 2 Su-247 could be just enough for an assault mission ;)
  • SuddenFrostSuddenFrost171 Posts: 0Member
    This ship design looks a lot like the Valiant from Jovian Chronicles:
    Dream Pod 9
    Yep, I`ve used the catapult and tilting habitat design ideas from that ship to some extent (got some illustrations by unknown author). However I`ve got no idea that it`s from Jovian chronicles - never seen them :)
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Looks great! It almost has a sort of crocodile look to it, very organic. I can't wait to draw it!
    A bit of update. It seems a workload desease is highly virulent :D

About 90% done with internal frame of engine section, and the outer armored shell for engines.

I`m trying the Kerkythea as renderer. Well, it renders mesh nicely, but textures (or colours, actually) and panel lining are gone.

destroyerconcept.th.jpg

The other ones are direct export from SU, no render.

destroyerconceptrear2.th.jpg

destroyerconceptrear.th.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    looking good, give podium a renderer a whirl its pretty powerful.
  • The Kerkythea render looks great!!!
    SketchUp lines that don't create faces don't translate over to Kerkythea, but it's odd that your materials did not as well. Are you using SU2KT as your plugin for export?
    Yes, I use SU2KT plugin, but, that`s my first time with both SU2KT and Kerkythea. What should be selected in the plugin, to export materials correctly?

Also, any ideas, how to make panel-lining 3d? The only way I see, is to extrude the sections, but on curved surfaces, its quite a pain.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks good Stonecold. I like the idea of the three position spin module, when I first saw it I thought it was just a really complex folding system but your idea makes sense.

One slight problem is the size, at 256+ metres the finished product is nearly twice the length of the USSN's Andrew Jackson-class of heavy cruiser and 75m longer than the R-USSR's Kynda-class. Maybe if you shave about 80m off it you can re-class it a heavy cruiser.
    Let me finish it at first, and then we`ll think about the ship class. Personaly, I think we should enlarge the other ships - there`s simply no space for propellant inside, and too small habitat spin radius. I`m saving the internal space as much as I can, but still the space from the nose to the dropship hangars is filled with propellant tanks! Also, if I make a hangars smaller, the fighters won`t fit.
    Another bit of update. This time - internals of the frontal part, without external armored shell. Long cylindrical things, are the lasers, and most of the free space is used for three propellant tanks. In the first image, a little bit of frontal reactors pair is visible. Also, added a bit of 3D detalisation to the hangar doors - now they are visible on Kerkythea renders :D. However, still no materials transfer - no idea, what`s the problem :(

destroyerconceptinternal.th.jpg
    destroyerconceptinterna.th.jpg
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    That is looking sweet! I'm looking forward to illustrating this!
  • Sweet!!!
    The openings in the front part of the hull - are they for retro thrusters or some kind of weapon?
    Yes, those are retro thrusters. IMHO, it`s quite a bad idea to use "fixed forward" weapons on a warship. If warship is not build around the weapon, of course ;)
    SU2KT should be creating a materials file folder in the same file path as you are saving to when you export a model. Check to see that this is happening.
    you dont know how to install kerk on a mac do you I just cant do it. Ive installed SU2KT and that works, I can export the model fine, ive installed kerk from the dmg but it just has a load of files with windows stuff on? and doesnt behave like a normal app it wont open from SU anyway. After ive exported in SU using SU2KT it says it works and asks me f I want to open KT now when I say yes nothing happens?
    Can't help you with Macs, Liam. Sorry.
    J.Wilde - no, it create such folder in SU directory, not in the target one.

Ok, I`ve found the problem. It was the "clay model export".

Here are renders with materials.

Here`s another little update. This time I`ve rendered the ship with external armor. Added maneuvering thrusters in the front part of the ship and tryed a bit of pannel extrusion, where they were flat.

destroyerconcept5.th.jpg

liam887 - can`t register at that forum - no confirmation mail received. Could you upload the plugin itself somwhere? To mediafire, for example?
    why cant you register its by far the best resource center for sketchup, stay online and ill try and upload it here for you to use ok, with a few other good ones too such as subdivision.
    Right here are the plugins ive sent you so far:

edit: removed them now
    Thanx a lot!
    no worries good luck, they are going to help so much believe me, keep trying to join sketchucation as there are many more resources that are very valuable and even more plugins but some you have to pay for these are free. I can PM an admin over at the site and ask him to help if you like?