Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3D WIP for Vir Inter Astrum universe

• StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    That would be good. It seems that my mail provider is banned on that forum.
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    spoke to admins at sketchucation what mail provider are you using / service provider etc, just give me all the details you can that are relevant and ill sort it out.
    @mail.ru, and it look`s like it is forbidden at that forum.
    Also, it seems that "Tools on Surface" isn`t loading. At least I couldn`t find any new toolbar :(
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    If you've got a banned mail provider, try registering using a gmail or hotmail account. When you're going to use the 3DWarehouse a few times and upload stuff you'll need a Google account anyway...

It could be that the plugin needs to be activated. Go to Windows --> Preferences --> Extensions and make sure that the Tools on Surface box is checked.

Liam, I suggest you remove the plugins now that Stonecold has downloaded them, I myself wouldn't like it if someone registered at my site and then continues to throw all the content you need to register for out in the open :)
    yeah I was planning to do that anyway because it takes up loads of space but i didnt even think about what you said oops...

Yeah just sign up with a live account just to get access it will only take 5 mins. Also make sure you have put the files in the right directory when installing, an yes you need to activate them also.
    Tols on surface has two installation files remember one for the tuby script and one for the visible tool bar you need to have installed both.
    Coen Naninck wrote:
    Original Message
    Subject: Problems Registering
    Date: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:03 am
    To: Coen Naninck

liam887 wrote:Hi there I have a friend over at SFM that would like to join the site to get some of the great plugins but he cannot join up, he said 'It seems that my mail provider is banned on that forum', hes in Russia and thought maybe that had something to do with it?
    Thanks for the help!

To: Liam887

Hi Liam,

Tell your friend to contact me directly via the "Registration / Login Help" link at the top right of the forum index. If he cannot register, I can register him manually.

well there you go just do that with your russian account and he can manually cicumvent whatever is happening, good luck! You need to contact the admin called 'Gaieus' ok.
    Well, that`s even better. And the problem with plugin was the activation. Never used the activation before, even never thought it was there.

Here`s a bit of update. Panelling, ful set of maneuvering thrusters.

destroyerconcept6.th.jpg

destroyerconcept7.th.jpg
    nice! are you going to fully texture this or is it just a guide to paint over. You should add a reflective surface to the lenses on the laser turrets. Nice owrk anyway, shame all the engine detail is covered by plates.
    That model is mostly a guide to paint over. And technological blueprint, to guess, what, located in each part of the ship and how it will work out. So, if I will find some texture that can be tiled nicely in SU, i`ll use it. Othervise, the model will be left untextured.

Each time I export from SU to Kerkythea, it replace the "glass" surface with ordinary material. I`m just too lazy to repair this each time ;) Will fix this on final renders.

And yes, all vulnurable parts are covered with at least some armor. It`s a piece of military hardware, after all.
    While I`m working on central part of the ship, here`s one of my oldies - could be also in VIA universe. And yes, some parts are taken from the models of other authors from 3D warehouse (don`t remember from who, exactly, it was quite a long time ago)

obt.th.jpg
    looks good only bad points are the low rez texture maps and the turret looks way to small and feeble to hold a giant barrel like that! Traveling at speed and firing would cause the barrel to flex unless it was super strong.
    Texture maps, are a sketchup issue, there was no attempt to re-texture the model after that. Turret, is too small, due to a point of view :) Here is it from the other angle.
    obt1.th.jpg
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    i just looked at this post and I love the laser ball turret design.
    Mostly copied existing laser turret, placed on Boing 747 (If I`m not mistaken). It seems to be most practical, since the range and effectiveness of the beam heavily depends on lens radius...
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    becuase of the use of that i would recomend making this an ship from an earlier era seeing that there is now a more 'gun' look to laser cannons. make this a late 22nd/early 23rd centrury era battleship.
    Well, it IS a ship, designed and produced at the late 22nd century (or even mid 22nd). However, such turret design could be the mark of RE manufacture. Additionaly, those lasers are the main, long-range artillery. As far as I can see, most of the VIA universe ships use laser turrets mostly for point defence and for medium-range engagements, relying on fighters and anti-ship missiles for a long range combat.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    Texture maps, are a sketchup issue, there was no attempt to re-texture the model after that. Turret, is too small, due to a point of view :) Here is it from the other angle.
    obt1.th.jpg

Very nice model!...But the texture problem is not with sketchup really. You have to unwrap the texture and align it properly on every face individually along a curved surface. SU will not do this for you automatically.

With hidden geometry turned on..right click on the face of a texture you want to align and click on texture then open the alignment dialog, Once you do it on one face you can then copy that alignment to other faces by using the eyedropper tool in the materials window.
    Thanx, that helped. Here`s a bit updated texture. No attempt to make a detailed texture were made, just to show an improuvement ;)

obt2t.th.jpg

If I intend to "complete" the model, it should look somewhat like this (that`s one of earlier, but finished models. Rendered in Poser 7, no postwork.):

promo01w.th.jpg

And now an update for a warship. Central part still not finished. Docking system took surprisingly a lot of time to design and model :(. On the front and rear parts - those are not a new turrets, but frontal and rear telescopic array.

destroyerconcept8.th.jpg

destroyerconcept9.th.jpg

destroyerconcept10.th.jpg
    Bridge redesigned. Look`s like this shape will be final. It seems that kerkythea have problems with solid transparent objects... Or at least it`s not that easy to render them.

destroyerconcept11.th.jpg
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Just curious as to why you chose such an exposed position for the Bridge?
    The bridge is retractable. Here`s a render of the same bridge, in combat mode. The orange "danger-line"marks the separation of stationary, and retractable part.

destroyerconcept12.th.jpg

As for exposed bridge - there were several reasons. First of all - the ship was intended to look "ancient". It was designed (and most likely, it`s main frame was constructed) in early-to-mid 22nd century. It was one of the first ships, that used antimatter initiated fusion drives (thats why there are "secondary" main thrusters), it was one of the first, to use laser weaponry, FTL ordinance delivery system, and so on. Exposed bridge and "naval" coloration, is intended as a part of that "old ship with proud history" appearance. Also, coloration is a joke homage to "Space Battleship Yamato" and other classic anime, with "naval ships in space".

Other than appearance purpose - direct line of sight could be usefull, when you need to accurately maneuver the ship. In example, during docking approach. Or, when video input systems are damaged. It could be a logical choice for a ship that goes "no one knows where". And that`s exactly, what the first exploration and colonisation missions were.
    Look`s like the destroyer is nearing its completion. Save for a few minor details, such as basic bridge interior, Radiator/solar pannel system and anchoring system - everything is ready.

destroyerconcept13.th.jpg
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Looking good! Are the 'funnels' on either side of the bridge missile silos?
    Yes, those are launch tubes, but not for missiles. Or, not only for missiles, to be exact. If you remember, I`ve said before, that "destroyer" in Russian fleet is actually a "squadrone minelayer" ship. Well, that`s sort of "space minelayer". Silos house 12 drone crafts. "FTL ordinance delivery system". Basicly, it`s sort of "smart reusable FTL missile". Thrusters, limited proppellant, miniature FTL drive and mission dependant "warhead". However, unlike FTL missile, drone can be programmed for a much wider range of tasks, and its FTL drive is not "single use". Drone can house anti-warship or anti-fighter artillery (laser, railgun, missile), to serve as "mothership extension", or could be assigned for guard duty, providing additional assault or defence capabilities to the guarded ship. Also, drones could be used as self-propelled mines, if they are left behind in debris-rich area, with programmed target data. Sensory warhead allow the drone usage as "spy sattelite". And, of course anti-warship/anti-surface nuclear fission or fussion warheads are possible. However, this turns drone into ordinary FTL nuklear missile.
    Look`s like this is the last update for the destroyer. Of course, I can add more and more details, since the size of this thing is HUGE, but... no one ever will see this. So here are the renders of "final" model. Background image is build in a hurry, so, its just there to give the "space feeling" to the whole image.

Ballistic travel mode. Solar panels/radiators extended (yes, on one side - solar panel, on the opposite side of the same module - radiator. No idea if this will work in real life), bridge extended and habitats are spinning to provide gravity in living quarters.

destroyerconcept15.th.jpg

And this is combat mode - all fragile elements are closed and hidden under armor. Launch silos and bays are ready to deploy the fighters and drones.

destroyerconcept16.th.jpg
  • J.WildeJ.Wilde0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work! I'm assuming the ship has a bank of heat sinks for combat since it retracts its radiators.
    Those are additional radiators, there are also standard ones, built into the armor and several banks of heat sinks of course. Also, its possible to close habitats and leave radiators extended, thou it will make the ship a stationary target. Hower it can be used for long range fire support missions, where rapid fire is required.
    Here`s very early WIP for the same VIA- universe. Thats going to be one of the early fighter/bomber designs from Sukhoi KB.

su232.th.jpg
    Mostly done. Still have to make undercarriage and weapons. Instead of that, played with texture for a few hours :D

The motto under the lightning emblem reads "Гарантия качества!" (Quality guarenteed!). That`s an editted a bit actual motto from Su-17M3, 1st Sqn of Fighter-Bomber Regiment, based at Bol`shie Shiraki, 1982.

su2321.th.jpg
  • Looks kinda like a MiG-23/SU-24 hybrid.