Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3D WIP for Vir Inter Astrum universe

• CifuCifu0 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold wrote: »
    No, you can. Fire both upper and lower thrusters on front-left side and both upper and lower thrusters on rear-right side, and your ship will turn around yaw axis. Every other maneuver is performed using the same method. The number of thrusters is high, because each part of the ship can perform undocking and simple adjustments of their position separately. In example, the basic config, that is depicted, can split into two parts, and dock with the third module. All done by remote controll, without any use of the tug-boat. Still not sure about this idea, but I think it worth a try.

Yupp, but then two 45A° angled thruster provide the same force as one 0A° angled thruster... Not the most efficient solution.
    I`ve thought about this, but shuttle is something more, or less expendable, unlike the ship. And if anything happens to shuttle, the ship will be left "headless".

I accept this argument, but my arguments are:

-The shuttle is a dead weight most of the time, wich is cannot be negligible in such a small space ship.
    -The shuttle means plus cost to the ship.
    -The two argument of the above have been reinforced by the fact, to the command module can act as a standalone space-ship in short range, without extra weight or cost.

OFC it's only true, until the shuttle atmospheric reentry won't be counted.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Yupp, but then two 45A° angled thruster provide the same force as one 0A° angled thruster... Not the most efficient solution.

Think about the saved mass from separate installation of horizontal and vertical thrusters ;) BTW, on a smaller frigate, frontal thrusters work the same way. I just was unable to find a space to place both sets in.
    I accept this argument, but my arguments are:

-The shuttle is a dead weight most of the time, wich is cannot be negligible in such a small space ship.
    -The shuttle means plus cost to the ship.
    -The two argument of the above have been reinforced by the fact, to the command module can act as a standalone space-ship in short range, without extra weight or cost.

OFC it's only true, until the shuttle atmospheric reentry won't be counted.

There are two types of shuttles.

1) light transatmospheric shuttle,
    2) forced boarding module.

The second one, while able to perform emergency landing on a terra-type planet, isn`t supposed to do so, and, most likely will be unable to return to space. However, boarding module is well armored for it`s size and used to deliver boarding party to the enemy ship. Probably, under hostile fire. This is hardly the work for a sort of separated bridge of the ship. So, safety of the ship comes first in here.
    Think about the saved mass from separate installation of horizontal and vertical thrusters ;)

I do, but thinking about the wasted fuel mass too. :Đ
    There are two types of shuttles.

1) light transatmospheric shuttle,
    2) forced boarding module.

The second one, while able to perform emergency landing on a terra-type planet, isn`t supposed to do so, and, most likely will be unable to return to space. However, boarding module is well armored for it`s size and used to deliver boarding party to the enemy ship. Probably, under hostile fire. This is hardly the work for a sort of separated bridge of the ship. So, safety of the ship comes first in here.

Again, it's just my opinion, but there is several obstacle of this kind of forced boarding. First, the forced boarding are very hard to execute, when the target ship are constatly change her speed, heading and orientation. And you can bet, the target ship are try anything, to make the boarding fail, if they wont want them to board. They even can use their own ship as a giant baseball bat, to hit (collide) the shuttle. Second, if the target ship has weapons, then the shuttle have a very rough ride, because she can't make excessive evasive maneuvers, tough against laser (the most popular close-in weapons systems in VIA-verse) those maneuvers are almost useless anyway. If you make the shuttle with very thick armour, then the shuttle become slow (if not, then she need a very powerfull engine, compared to their weight and size), and/or cumbersome (if not, then again need powerfull thrusters and lots of fuel) - both make harder to board a maneuvering target ship. So it's a not a likely situation.

I get the picture, how you imagined the border patrol: like a coast patrol ship, with a zodiac boat in the wet navy, i just point out the problems. My opinion are simply those ship to get to be boarded only can be boarded, when they co-operate, for this, a detachable command section can do the job flawlessly. :)
    Again, it's just my opinion, but there is several obstacle of this kind of forced boarding. First, the forced boarding are very hard to execute, when the target ship are constatly change her speed, heading and orientation. And you can bet, the target ship are try anything, to make the boarding fail, if they wont want them to board. They even can use their own ship as a giant baseball bat, to hit (collide) the shuttle. Second, if the target ship has weapons, then the shuttle have a very rough ride, because she can't make excessive evasive maneuvers, tough against laser (the most popular close-in weapons systems in VIA-verse) those maneuvers are almost useless anyway. If you make the shuttle with very thick armour, then the shuttle become slow (if not, then she need a very powerfull engine, compared to their weight and size), and/or cumbersome (if not, then again need powerfull thrusters and lots of fuel) - both make harder to board a maneuvering target ship. So it's a not a likely situation.

I get the picture, how you imagined the border patrol: like a coast patrol ship, with a zodiac boat in the wet navy, i just point out the problems. My opinion are simply those ship to get to be boarded only can be boarded, when they co-operate, for this, a detachable command section can do the job flawlessly. :)

The problems you pointed are completely correct. That`s why forced boarding of military warship is all, but impossible. However, corvettes are used for a "border patrol", and all they can actually face is an armed cargo ship or an extremely outdated and just partially operating corvettes. So, if need be, the ship is disabled first (point defences and thrusters are the primary targets for a main laser of corvette) and then the forced boarding could be performed. Still, it`s quite a risky trick. Another usage - cargo/passenger check of suspicious ships. While they can let the module to board, it`s still risky to let the detachable command section do this work.
    Yepp, i suppose something similar background. :)

So the next move is the Shuttle, i think?
    Yes, I guess so. Without it I won`t be able to finish this ship.
    At last got some time to work at my shuttle design. Re-built everything from the scratch. The over-all shape is more or less the same, However, I`m trying a new method for lifting-body creation, and I like the results so far. As you can see, the shuttle is really small, about the same size as most fighters, and surely not suited for long-distance travels. It could be used to carry up to 8 passengers (and 2 pilots) in relatively comfortable conditions, however, it can carry more in case of emergency. Cargo of adequate mass and size could be carried also, but it`s size will be restricted by "passenger" docking ring diameter.

lightshuttle1.th.jpg
    lightshuttle2.th.jpg
    And finaly I`ve managed to put together the background for the frigates. Planet in the background is HRE colony Asgard. Large bright star is Procyon B (white dwarf), while the main light sourse (Procyon A) is out of the picture.

frigatesenroute2.th.jpg
    Great update for the picture, i see you choose the mixing the naval position lightning (red on left, green on right, white lights on center) and the aerial position lightning (red (strobe?) on ventral).

Like the small shuttle too, very nice! :)
    Actually aircrafts use almost the same position lights colour marking as naval ships ;) However, since, unlike an atmospheric aircraft, spaceship have no strict "up" direction, I`ve marked top and bottom with white lights and nose with another red (no, it isn`t strobe). So, if you see, for example, 2 whites and 2 reds - you know for sure wich way the ship is facing. Not sure if it will be actually needed, but at least it looks good on the picture :) And damn, I`m a looser at painting an overlay texture in photoshop :( So, the ships a not textured and most likely will be left as is.
    Well, it's a good question such position lightning need it, or not, but i belive it's can be usefull even in the future - after all those lights are say the ship position and orientation without question.
    Actually aircrafts use almost the same position lights colour marking as naval ships

Well, it's not widely known, but the naval position lights have a very complex rule system.

"Masthead lights": white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel. If the ship length exceed 50 meters, then two separate masthead light needs to be use.
    "Sidelights": a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side, each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side.
    "Sternlight": a white light placed as nearly as practicable at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135 degrees and so fixed as to show the light 67.5 degrees from right aft on each side of the vessel. If the Ship are towing something, the Sternlight usualy yellow instead of white, and called "Towing light".

There is some specific light used tough, for exampke All-around lights, with unbroken 360 degree light, and flashing light with yellow color and with regular interval of 120+ flash, on the hovercrafts. If your ship towing, your masthead lights need two vertical line, if you towing length exceeding 200 meters, then three vertical line. The towed vessel when the towing range exceed 200 meters, have to be placed a diamond shaped masthead lights. Partially submerged ships and objects need one all-around white light until 50m meters length, two, if the ship or object between 50 and 100 m, and three, if exceed 100 meters.

If a fising ship engage trawling with towed net or such aplication, shall be had two all-around light in the masthead, the upper is green, the lower is white. When engage fishing other than trawling, then the upper all-around light is red, the lower is white.

If the ship not under command of any kind, then two verticaly positioned all-around red lights need to be placed in the masthead (same lights used when a ship raising anchor). If the ship restricted the ability to maneuver (example diving operations, and such), then the masthead need three verticaly positioned all-around light, the upper and the lower red, the center are white. If a ship are engaged underwater work or such, and need to be clear one of the ship side, then those side need to had two verticaly placed red all-around light, the other side two verticaly placed green all-around light. If a ship undergo mineclearance operation, then three all-around green lights need to placed, one of the foremost of the ship, and one of the each side of the fore yard - this means no ship can close than 1000 meters.

If a ship take anchor, then one all-around white light needed under 50 meters length, and above 50 meters, one all-around white light in the fore mast, and one all-around white light in the stern.
    The rules of above are for the power-driven ships, sailing ships only need to be had sidelights and sternlights, under 20 meters the two sidelights and the stern light can be placed in a common frame, and placed on the masthead. Sailing ships smaller than 7 meters only need a white torch or handlight, ready for use if needed, to avoid collision.

Of course, this only a small portion, but enough to understand, how complex is the system. :)
    That`s for sure quite complex. Lucky aircraft crew - they don`t have to raise anchor or be engaged in underwater operations :D Jokes aside, personaly, I think there is no strict need in position lights, since the ship will be clearly visible on any given distance. Probable application of the position lights could be only if the ship is performing maneuvers i the shadow of the other, more massive object, like planet, station or asteroid. So, I think the complex "naval" marking system is not needed.
    A little update on shuttle.

lightshuttlefront.th.jpg

lightshuttlerear.th.jpg
  • I.g.(.I.g.(.0 Posts: 0Member
    that black border says "I'm a shuttle, I'm a shuttle" XD
    very very nice design.
    Well, it IS shuttle :D And black areas have a purpose - they are supposed to be heat resistant ceramic plates for re-entry (just like on common shuttle).
    Yepp.. that's obvious, I would mean that just the fact of placing some black there made the ship immediately recognizable as a shuttle.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome looking, as usual.

Btw is there any chance to see some day a pirate ship? An armless-looking civilian ship turned into a space predator armed to the teeth to capture unfortunate merchants :) Oooooh yes that would be so awesome :)
    Thanx.

After we finish most common ships, why not? However, That won`t be too soon I guess (at least in my design). I`ve got some hard to do ships planned.
    Here`s a bit of update for my corvette. This version is for long-duration patrols, so it pachs larger crew, full-scale spin-habitat and extensive propellant payload. As you can notice, "command" (frontal) and "propulsion" (rear) sections are exactly the same as on minimal version, but between them, two new modules are loaded. Such corvette can serve as tanker, as well as a place for crews of the other corvettes to rest. Probably will do a "missile-cutter" version too.

Oops, forgot the image :P

hrecorvettelr1.th.jpg
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    nice! what render engine is that?
    Kerkythea, as allways. Don`t like materials on this render. Still have to learn how to use them correctly.
    Looks Awesome!

Just a side note, there is THREE new module, if we count the shuttle. ;)
    Well, shuttle is supposed to be a standard equipment for command module :)
  • originalgaijinoriginalgaijin0 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold are the tank and the six wheeled vehicle going to be a part of the VIR-verse as well?
    Possibly. BTW, APC was 8x8, if I remember correctly. However, this question should be adressed to Bbzwbbzw, who is the author of the universe. I`m just working at some contributions, and will they be accepted or declined, depends on Bbzwbbzw.
    why haven't you kept the design of your previous ships? I mean just for the command module.. especually the frontal part..
    This one supposed to look cheaper and more "civilian-like", while the other ships are high-tech to extreme. On corvette most technologies are from "previous generation" of the ships and have more in common with Moscow-class destroyer (if you`ll find the image of "Moscow" without the armored hull - you`ll see the similarities) then with frigates.
    Pair of corvettes with different configuration. Played a bit with textures and materials. Radiators and windows surely looks better, however shiny metal and "star wars" texture looks out of place :(
    hrecorvettepair.th.jpg
    It's awesome never the less! The missile armed version are equipped by FTL missiles (seems a bit small for me then), or anti-fighter missiles?
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    Looks more like ftl missiles to me, for example, Yan class frig is 77meters long and its antifighter missiles pods carry much smaller missiles, 4 per pod.

If you look back at what stonecold said, this corvette is not that small, the look and size of the missile pods looks coherent with the weaponry we see on his frigates.

As usual, your work is awesome Stonecold. I'd buy two or three of these babies to fulfill my dreams of space piracy :)

*Setting destination to Tortuga Space Station*