Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D3D WIP for Vir Inter Astrum universe

18910111214»

• TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    The key word there was capital :p
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    no reentry at all, why are some of the fighters aerodynamic? very nice modelling and detail, you've done a good job of making the ship look menacing.
    Fighters: transatmposheric. Capital Ships: vacuum only.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    bbzwbbzw wrote: »
    Fighters: transatmposheric. Capital Ships: vacuum only.

good thinking, gives you an excuse to make atmospheric streamlined fighters but still have realistic capital ships. similar things apply in my sci-fi verse.
  • StonecoldStonecold331 Posts: 0Member
    Some minor detailing and re-designed radiator array. Shadow shields will be next step.
    31015_Frigate_Reboot1.jpg
    92821_Frigate_Reboot2.jpg
  • Mikey-BMikey-B0 Posts: 0Member
    The detailing and lighting on this is phenomenal. The radiators look great. I like your take on the centrifuge as well, and the exhaust nozzles... magnetic?
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    I'd fly that ^^ It was already one of my favorite ship in its former version.
    Detailing is WAY bellow the level that Bbzw2 reached on his last craft. But, I`m still struggling :) Lightning is basic for Kerkythea. That`s the main reason I love this simple renderer. It provides awesome ambient light effects.

Nozzles of main thrusters are purely magnetic, since HRE ships use antimatter ignited fusion drives as their main propulsion. Spectacular torch of light. Skeletal magnetic nozzles, are a good way to waste parasitic heat and gamma radiation. Maneuvering and retro thrusters are NERVA-style.
  • bbzwbbzwbbzwbbzw1 Posts: 0Member
    Looking spectacular Stonecold. I really don't think it needs a ton of detail because the shape is so strong.
  • BorklessBorkless171 Posts: 0Member
    Cool ship, and interesting design for the centrifuge. Even if she's not atmo-capable, it looks like she could at least do a little kiss-and-go aerobreaking, what with the recessed RCS thrusters and generally streamlined-ish shape.

However... at least from that angle, it looks like the main engines are off-axis with the Center of Mass. You've got that big wedge on top, and nothing to counter balance it on the bottom(other than the missile racks, which don't seem like they'd be heavy enough)
    Added some railing for safe spacewalks, but sadly enough, it is hardly visible on main renders. Re-built vertical part of shadow shields. I think, I will do the side parts as a separate plates. Will make the procedure of replacement much easier. And there`s a view from side. As you can see, main thrusters aren`t symmetricaly positioned.
    13338_Frigate_Reboot3.jpg
    30828_Frigate_Reboot4.jpg
    22400_Frigate_Reboot5.jpg
  • cavebearcavebear179 Posts: 623Member
    They may be hard to see but I really like the addition of the rails. You are doing a great job!
    :thumb:

Edit:
    The railings remind me of an old Chris Moore painting that graced the cover of Steven Eisler's book "Space Wars Worlds & Weapons"
    I found a two part scan of the cover. The left side is the back of the book and the right side is the books front cover. This particular scan was taken from a French edition. The railings appear on both sides.

Left side and right side of the painting
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    sorry, i cannot spot the railings. very nice model, good details.
  • TomboTombo0 Posts: 0Member
    sorry, i cannot spot the railings. very nice model, good details.

I had to squint a bit too, but between the name and the flag then up and towards the bow. also near the yellow hatch above the flag.

Stonecold that looks fantastic :thumb:
    Right click, then select "Open image as a new tab". Its easier to view the railing on full-size image. Still, not good enough, thou. Now experimenting with different rendering mechanisms, to make image "sharper". Currently, it can be "fast" but like last renders, or VERY slow, but sharp enough to see small details. Trying to set something in the middle, but no luck yet.

BTW, Cavebear, thanx for the images. After inspection of them, made railing tubes dark - easier to see them on the picture. On the renders, that you can see, the tubes are polished metal/silver, and blends with the ship hull color too good.

edit: Just to show that I`m still alive.
    1st render - simple raytracing+photon mapping&AA Takes about 3 minutes.
    26186_Frigate_Reboot6.jpg
    2nd render... or, rather - mid of the render - "Metropolis light transport". By sheer look of it, seems to be the same method, Raylecton use. 1 hour, still rendering.
    8748_Frigate_Reboot7.jpg
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    A lot more grain on the first one. The ship looks badass anyway, though :)
    Another hour of rendering. Noise almost gone, and no "artifacts" and geometry merging visible. Guess, 3-4 hours will do the trick. I think, I`ll stick with this method for final renderings.
    70230_Frigate_Reboot8.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Stonecold, what is your render program?
    Kerkythea.

Update - re-designed one of the radar antennas. Some other minor fixes included. Those are "fast" renders, so details are lacking.
    64056_Frigate_Reboot9.jpg
    49867_Frigate_Reboot10.jpg
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    What 3D program it looks great.
    Saquist wrote: »
    What 3D program it looks great.
    Made in Sketchup, rendered in Kerkythea.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    That antanna disk farm underneath is really nice. I'd like to see that on ST dreadnaughts--to tek it up.