Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

• captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    We can add to that ship list the USS Mayflower, since we have it confirmed in the scenes. I'm also pretty positive they mention it in the Hangar scene, also. There's two cuts in the film where there are cadets being assigned to ships, and I'm 95% positive the Mayflower and the Enterprise are mentioned as the other two ships. Oh, and I'm 100% positive that Promus meant this thread when he said, "this thread." :D

As a side note, can anyone make out a speculative Registry number for the Mayflower? I'm seeing something that looks like an NCC-X152 or NCC-X162 (the X and the 5/6 is where I'm getting confused...). Can anyone make out the leading digit, or tell whether the third number is a 5 or a 6?
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Yes, I was referring to this thread. :thumb:

Didn't we already have the full list of ships? If I recall, the movie said that seven ships were destroyed above Vulcan, making the full list we had as follows:

USS Mayflower
    USS Walcott
    USS Farragut
    USS Hood
    USS Antares
    USS Truman
    USS Newton

Apparently, the Blu-ray special on the DVD "Starships" features an eighth ship named the USS Armstrong, and even gives it a registry number (NCC-1769), going so far as to say that it was one of the ships visible in front of the Enterprise before it makes the jump to lightspeed...er, goes to warp. :flippy: Either way, it throws an inconsistency into it all because it brings the list to EIGHT ships, which contradicts dialogue of SEVEN ships being destroyed. Maybe it was a survivor? Man, these people couldn't even be bothered to keep their own personal canon straight!

As for the Mayflower's registry, I think it's NCC-162x (the "x" representing the unknown number). I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the final number is a "1," because then the registry number would be the same year that the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. Probably a little homage to history. Here's the screencaps I used for reference, highlighted by myself:
    75503.jpg75504.jpg
  • kennethmdkennethmd341 Posts: 0Member
    Promus wrote: »

Didn't we already have the full list of ships? If I recall, the movie said that seven ships were destroyed above Vulcan, making the full list we had as follows:

USS Mayflower
    USS Walcott
    USS Farragut
    USS Hood
    USS Antares
    USS Truman
    USS Newton

Apparently, the Blu-ray special on the DVD "Starships" features an eighth ship named the USS Armstrong, and even gives it a registry number (NCC-1769), going so far as to say that it was one of the ships visible in front of the Enterprise before it makes the jump to lightspeed...er, goes to warp. :flippy: Either way, it throws an inconsistency into it all because it brings the list to EIGHT ships, which contradicts dialogue of SEVEN ships being destroyed. Maybe it was a survivor? Man, these people couldn't even be bothered to keep their own personal canon straight!

As for the Mayflower's registry, I think it's NCC-162x (the "x" representing the unknown number). I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the final number is a "1," because then the registry number would be the same year that the Mayflower landed at Plymouth Rock. Probably a little homage to history. Here's the screencaps I used for reference, highlighted by myself:

In your last screencaps, you outline 1621. It most likely that the Mayflower registry is NCC-1621
    Great job, Promus! I didn't even make the connection! I had a fella PM me a while ago (when this thread was first started) and we discussed possible names for a class of ships. After all the research into old frigates and cargo ships, I never recognized the digits in the year the Mayflower landed...
    You can call your ship whatever you want, but I have some suggestions. Just based off what we have seen on screen, we could use the following names:

USS Susan Constant (or just the Constant)
    USS Godspeed
    USS Discovery
    USS Mayflower
    USS Speedwell
    USS Providence
    USS Deliverance
    USS Patience
    USS Fortune

... and I could see the class being given the name of the Providence or even the Discovery Class... And about the registry, again you could assign whatever you want. I was using registries from the Miranda Class ships, but I don't think we have any on-screen evidence as to what the registry is for the Mayflower.

I'll alter my registry of my Mayflower to match that of the 1621...

:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayflower#Pilgrims.27_voyage
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamestown_Settlement#The_original_settlement
    Thanks Mills! It didn't occur to me at first, but it hit me after I thought about it for a while. I hope to get ahold of a copy of the DVD so I can check out the special features, which has a special section called "Starships." I'm sure it will give us a LOT more information on the "background ships!"
    Promus, I think I've seen the Blu-Ray version, and I can't remember there being any information on the individual ships. However, if you find a copy of the movie and I happen to be wrong, lemme know and I'll hunt through my brother's Blu-Ray copy. I just own the DVD, and there's nothing about the ships in it...

Anyway, I thought I'd add that I've put some updated images that I worked on this Saturday. My next step is to add the shuttle bay along the spine...

3D WIP Thread for my Mayflower

Thanks for looking!
    CM :D
    It's in one of the special features - not all of the DVD releases have all the fancy special features included with them. You generally have to pay extra for those... XD
    You have to buy Star Trek: the art of the film, to get any information about the fleet. You can buy it at any books store and also online.
    Based on what I've seen (what, one page?) I dunno if I'd be impressed...

I ought to see if I can find it at my local (4 hours away, lol) Hastings store when I go visit family for the holidays...

:)
    Well, keep in mind that the "Art of the Film" book is only filled with concept drawings, and since things change drastically in any film production between the concept stages and actual production, you can't rely on concept drawings for final names of the ships. For example, some concept drawings I've seen of the fleet shows the Bike being named the "USS Defiant," when we know the final name for it was the USS Mayflower. No ship in the actual film was called the Defiant. So not only names would be unrealiable in the book, but the designs themselves could be wrong. I know it has pictures of early versions of the 2009 Enterprise, showing the Big E with proper orange nacelle caps, different hull coloring, and bronze sensor dish. Obviously the initial designs were too close to what the Enterprise SHOULD look like for Abrams' taste, and it was changed to the final POS ship that could pass for the Enterprise-G.

Anyway, my point is that even if the Art of the Film book DOES have fleet stuff in it, it won't be reliable reference. :D
    Well, keep in mind that the "Art of the Film" book is only filled with concept drawings, and since things change drastically in any film production between the concept stages and actual production, you can't rely on concept drawings for final names of the ships. For example, some concept drawings I've seen of the fleet shows the Bike being named the "USS Defiant," when we know the final name for it was the USS Mayflower. No ship in the actual film was called the Defiant. So not only names would be unrealiable in the book, but the designs themselves could be wrong. I know it has pictures of early versions of the 2009 Enterprise, showing the Big E with proper orange nacelle caps, different hull coloring, and bronze sensor dish. Obviously the initial designs were too close to what the Enterprise SHOULD look like for Abrams' taste, and it was changed to the final POS ship that could pass for the Enterprise-G.

Anyway, my point is that even if the Art of the Film book DOES have fleet stuff in it, it won't be reliable reference. :D

In the star trek novel base on the movie. Even though the book is base on the first draft of the movie script. Both the Defiant and Mayflower are listed on page 111.
    Exactly. The novelization isn't a good source for information either, since it was written using early drafts of the script, NOT the final version. :)
    The best thing to do is to screen capture the fleet when they were dock at the space station. Make sure the image is large enough that you can see the name and registry of the ships. I myself can see two. But I can't make them out. I would do it, but I don't have a dvd player on my computer, and also my computer is old.
    I already posted a screencap from the Blu-ray disc, and none of the registry numbers can be made out. :(
    So, that's where we come in. We make super accurate 2D and 3D images of the ships and then get hired on as consultants and modelers for the next two sequels and we make millions of dollars! Our images and orthos get published in Star Trek magazines and fansites all over the world and we become more famous than we care to be!

Just Kidding...

Well, we have fun speculating. Ok, I do, anyway... :D
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    Hell yes - you'd better believe it is!! Wow...NICE job! Finally, for the first time, we have a confirmed name-to-ship matchup. Thanks, Mills! :thumb:

Regarding your "post thought," I'm pretty sure that the Bike IS the first one to warp out. So that's a very interesting theory of yours! Although considering that they just reused the same saucer to represent different pieces of debris, I doubt that it was an intentional thing. :)

I don't think that Ken's sources are very good, since Ex-Astris-Scientia is kind of behind on the 2009 Background Ship info. If someone wants the cutting edge of discoveries (as it were), they need to check out this thread! :D

Funny thing is, most of Ex-Astris-Scientia's info on the ships is coming from us. :P

Well, that and the concept sketches, which did list the "bike" as Mayflower. Though it still had the rollbar in that concept.
    Hey, I feel important now!!! :D

"'Cause I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!" - Stuart Smalley
    Paragon wrote: »
    Funny thing is, most of Ex-Astris-Scientia's info on the ships is coming from us. :P
    I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest! Although I AM exceedingly flattered...
    Hey, I feel important now!!! :D
    Same here! We're now (hopefully) leaving a lasting mark on Star Trek fandom, for the benefit of our fellow fans. :thumb:
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    Oh you have no idea. When I realized Ex Astris was using slightly modified versions of my images for the classes (take a look at that Kobayashi Maru, for example) I was incredibly flattered. Now I just need to make better versions for them to use.

Edit: of course, the day I post this, I go back to check and they've changed them.
    Haha...well, the fact remains that he WAS using your images. Which was awesome - and from me, congratulations. :)
  • MeteoMeteo171 Boardinghouse in Federal WayPosts: 0Member
    Yeah, I'm TIRED of that ****, as if they couldn't keep consistant, and despite having a scientific adviser, they still have unscientific BS from time to time. How the **** does that work?

Anyway, I gave these ships class names around several monthes ago, calling the bike "Miranda" (After all, it WAS obviously meant to be yet another typical fannish TOS-Miranda, with or without the rollbar), the Trike became the "Centaurus" (or Antares, depending on which version you go with), and the inaccurately named Quad became the "Philadelphia".

Also, here's a few side views I did of the Philadelphia and Centaurus:

Philadelphia Class Heavy Frigate.bmp
    Centaurus Class Heavy Cruiser.bmp

USS Mayflower
    USS Walcott
    USS Farragut
    USS Hood
    USS Antares
    USS Truman
    USS Newton

76373.bmp76374.bmp
    Here's my version of the name to class link-up:

USS Centaurus - Centaurus Class
    USS Truman - Centaurus Class
    USS Walcott - Philadelphia Class
    USS Hood - Philadelphia Class
    USS Mayflower - Miranda Class
    USS Newton - Philadelphia Class
    USS Armstrong - Centaurus Class
    Not trying to be mean, but where did that rant come from? What were you referring to as "unscientific?"

Again, just trying to catch up and understand here...
    Blowing up the galaxy with a supernova, that's an example.
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    Supernovae are the brightest objects in the known universe, far outshining the light emitted by the 200-billion-or-so other stars in the typical galaxy. Large stars (and trust me, ours is PIDDLY) going supernova could bathe a good portion of a galaxy in enough radiation to thoroughly kill off any life dwelling there.

Trust me, it can happen.
  • Dark SaberDark Saber1 Posts: 0Member
    Great work!!!
    Where the hell did you come up with "Philadelphia?" That name was never heard at any point in the film. I applaud and commend your personal efforts to assemble a STXI fleet, but the main gist of this thread is to assemble a fleet ONLY using what's in the film, rather than creating our own "officially unofficial" names (the Quad and Trike designations aren't meant to refer to actual class names, but are simply placeholders until we know the actual class name). We certainly wouldn't try to come up with our own class name and pretend it's official.
    I don't make **** up and pretend it's official, but having a class name for the Philadelphia (for now) is a pretty good way of handling the class name problem until someone releases extensive details on those ships.

I also assume the Kelvin belonged to the Socrates Class, by the by.
    Oh yeah, but I'll also be using the STXI shipkit to do up more designs elsewhere, so keep an eye on here.
    Meteo wrote: »
    I don't make **** up and pretend it's official, but having a class name for the Philadelphia (for now) is a pretty good way of handling the class name problem until someone releases extensive details on those ships.

I also assume the Kelvin belonged to the Socrates Class, by the by.

I appreciate your contributions, but I think we should probably stay away from using actual names, and stick with nickname placeholders (if that makes sense). :thumb: