Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

• kennethmdkennethmd341 Posts: 0Member
    Promus wrote: »
    Well, I really, REALLY like L-Gaim's classification definition ideas!! They REALLY make sense and the ignite that extra little spark of happiness within this ship junkie's heart. :lol:

In TOS, the dish was supposed to be a communications/sensor dish like the kind under the nose of an airplane (and Matt Jefferies' original design even had a "sensor cap" cover like an airplane, but it was removed in the final version to add more detail to the ship). Although the Movie's Enterprise has a "deflector" purpose for the dish, it would make sense that the older versions (Quad, Trike, Kelvin, etc) might not have the same purpose. Either way I'm sticking with what L-Gaim said because I like it a LOT. :D

EDIT: Some of the people over at Memory Alpha (The Star Trek Wiki) figured out the sixth ship's name - the USS Walcott. Which means that now we have:

USS Farragut
    USS Hood
    USS Truman
    USS Centaurus
    USS Walcott
    USS Mayflower

Unfortunately, not even the Memory Alpha people knew the name of the seventh ship, which shall remain a mystery...

The seventh ship is the USS. Voltan. It is mention before the scene of the star fleet officer giving starships assignments to the cadets in the hanger bay.
  • RekkertRekkert4046 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    kennethmd wrote: »
    The seventh ship is the USS. Voltan. It is mention before the scene of the star fleet officer giving starships assignments to the cadets in the hanger bay.

I didn't hear that one, but one instructor mention the USS Antares on the hangar scene, and it's on Memory Alpha. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Earth_Spacedock_(alternate_reality http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/USS_Antares
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I didn't hear that one, but one instructor mention the USS Antares on the hangar scene, and it's on Memory Alpha. http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Earth_Spacedock_(alternate_reality USS Antares - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

It was after the court room scene and before the hanger bay scene. It was the last ship mention.
    Ok. I thought I heard the name Voltan. But maybe, I didn't. Anyway, I heard the name Voltan mention after the Hood was mention.

These are the names of the ships I myself and others heard mentions.
    USS. Mendez
    USS. Regulus One
    USS. Farragut
    USS. Hood
    USS. Walcott
    USS. Nimitz
    USS. Truman
    USS. Antares
    USS. Voltan
    USS. Mayflower
    USS. Centaurus

You should note. Even if you seen the Enterprise and seven other starships dock at the orbiting station. It doesn't mean there was only eight ships in the fleet.
  • NebulaNebula342 MichiganPosts: 43Member
    I wouldn't call all those ships but more like destinations.....

A ship called "Rugula One????"
    Nebula wrote: »
    I wouldn't call all those ships but more like destinations.....

A ship called "Rugula One????"

It was mention after the Mendez was mention. I only heard the Mendez very faintly. The Nimitz the same. Most likely Regulus One. Which I will go ahead and correct above.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    I'm rather certain that Mendez was a cadet's name, not a starship. The novelization noted that some cadets were assigned to stations for the emergency situation, so it's possible that's what happened in the movie if Regula/Regulus One was indeed mentioned.
    Endeavour wrote: »
    I'm rather certain that Mendez was a cadet's name, not a starship. The novelization noted that some cadets were assigned to stations for the emergency situation, so it's possible that's what happened in the movie if Regula/Regulus One was indeed mentioned.

I had never read the book.

In the movie, it went Mendez, Regulus One, Farragut, Enterprise, Walcott, and Hood in that order. With no cadet names mention in between.
    I guest I will have to wait for the DVD/Blue Ray to come out to be sure. Of course, I could look on internet for a stolen version. Which will get Paramount upset. So it better to wait for the DVD/Blue Ray to come out.

I wonder if it was Commodore Jose Mendez that was mention?
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Kennethmd, I'm not saying that you don't know what you're talking about, but I think we should stick with what we've got. It's possible that you may have confused some of the words, because it was made pretty clear that there were only seven starships besides the Enterprise which were docked at the Starfleet orbital facility, loaded up with cadets, and sent to Vulcan. Even the novelization only lists seven ships (although it gets the names wrong from the final script).
    Promus wrote: »
    Kennethmd, I'm not saying that you don't know what you're talking about, but I think we should stick with what we've got. It's possible that you may have confused some of the words, because it was made pretty clear that there were only seven starships besides the Enterprise which were docked at the Starfleet orbital facility, loaded up with cadets, and sent to Vulcan. Even the novelization only lists seven ships (although it gets the names wrong from the final script).

You right, I most likely probably misunderstood what the instructor had said. He might had said, Mendez, this is a regular one alert. Also, Nimitz and Voltan could easily had been names of a person, instead of names of starships.
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    In Trek, this is highly likely... what with the number of aliens and alien names that may be called out... Still, I don't remember. I'm scheduled to go see it again with my brother in a week's time...

CMills
    Just thought I'd share this little mesh I made of the hypothetical "Bike." I'm lookin for comments on the overall shape or details that you may think she should have but doesn't or shouldn't have but does...

mayflower01.jpg

mayflower02.jpg

mayflower03.jpg

mayflower04.jpg

Thanks!
    CMills
    In Trek, this is highly likely... what with the number of aliens and alien names that may be called out... Still, I don't remember. I'm scheduled to go see it again with my brother in a week's time...

CMills
    If you are going to see it again? Why not take a small audio tape recorder with you? You can record the part where they announce the ships. Also you can listen to it over again at home.
    Just thought I'd share this little mesh I made of the hypothetical "Bike." I'm lookin for comments on the overall shape or details that you may think she should have but doesn't or shouldn't have but does...

mayflower01.jpg

mayflower02.jpg

mayflower03.jpg

mayflower04.jpg

Thanks!
    CMills
    Great work on your mesh of the Mayflower.
    I thought of that... my cell phone can record audio... I'll have to try it... :D
    The "Bike" looks great!! One thing I've noticed about the movie's roll-bars, though - the "pod" in the middle of the roll-bar looks like it's more integrated into the bar itself. Basically, the construction of the roll-bar "flows" over the pod which again seems more built into the roll-bar. Check the pictures again to see what I mean - I'm probably not being clear enough!
    No, you're being clear enough... the photos are so poor in quality, I was just guessing at what it looked like. I never noticed that the "rollbar" and the "pod" appeared to be all one fluid piece... I'll take a look at that...

:)
    CMills

Edit: How's this... It's got some issues at the point where it bends and heads down toward the saucer, but I'll have to fix those later...

mayflower05.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    That looks better...

Now you need to add the impulse engine section as well. :-)
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Very nice indeed Captain Mills. I especially like your panelling. good job:thumb:
    How's this... It's got some issues at the point where it bends and heads down toward the saucer, but I'll have to fix those later...

That looks great! Although you're right, the bottom of the pod seems to be level with the roll-bar, while only the top of the pod seems to stick up higher than the bar's level. The pictures on this ( http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/418952-post113.html ) post show what I mean, and because that poster brightened and enlarged the images, I think they'll be easier to see. :D
    Oh yeah... I forgot all about the impulse engines! Oops! :o
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    love the ship captain.
    I'm wondering if I should start posting this in the 3D wips instead of here... I've sorta taken over this thread... Sorry!

As for the rollbar... I see what you mean, but I can't get a good idea what it looks like from the front in that pic... it almost looks rounded at the front and only squared off at the back end. Also, there's more of an angle at the corners where it turns and goes down to the saucer... tell me what you think of the reverse angle, though... This might give you a better idea of what I've got on the pod so far. I'll see about working on that, though...

I did knock out a descent impulse drive at the back of the ship and some saucer details for the heck of it... I like how it turned out. Also, thanks bunches for the complements thus far! :D

Comments?
    69083.jpg69084.jpg
    Hmm, I think your work deserves a thread of it's own - but that's just me. You're free to do whatever you want, as long as you keep posting updates!! :D

The ship looks great thus far, but I'm still not sure that the roll-bar is quite accurate. I've done up another one of my "Crappy MS Paint Visual Examples" to illustrate what I'm getting at...it's attached below.

BTW, do you plan on modelling the Trike or Quad, as well?
    69088.JPG
    Yes, I plan on making the others as soon as I get a saucer and a nacelle that I'm happy with.

As for the rollbar... does a front-on view exist anywhere? I can't remember seeing any of these ships from the front well enough to see what the front end looks like. About your comment on the pod being all "up" and no "down," I agree with you. That'll be my next modeling project... to finalize the rollbar.

But, before I model a third rollbar, there's a couple of things I want to share/inquire/speculate about the rollbar:

1) It doesn't look to me to be one fluid piece. It seems as though the bar itself expands a bit when it meets the pod in the middle, but there definitely looks like a breaking line there (both pics, white circle). The expanded part of the rollbar seems to have some details (like two black dots, left white arrow on trike), and then you can see the breaking line.

2) The green circle shows some "junk" in front of the base of the bar, as it attaches to the saucer, and possibly something protruding out the back of it...

3) Does the rollbar continue all the way down to the nacelle pylons? The two pylons on the sides of the trike are different than the one attached to the middle nacelle. It almost looks like the pylon continues down into the nacelle (blue circle, trike)...

Just things to look for. I'm interested in your comments on the above points before I jump into modeling a third rollbar that's wrong... :)

Thanks!
    CMills

p.s. I'll prolly open a new thread for these in the 3D WIP's section in the next few days or so...
    69099.jpg69100.jpg
  • FlankerFlanker0 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great and have to agree you should open a own 3d thread. I would certainly continue watching it.

1 agreed: it looks like it "continues" through the saucer to the nacellepylons.
    2 perhaps a sensor of some sorts?
    3 I think it does. The middle one is different and 'lacks' greebling making it look stronger.
    I think the "line" that you see on the Quad's roll-bar is just where the shadow is.

I'm not sure if the roll-bar "merges" with the nacelle pylons - I'd probably line them up to be sure, but the green circled part of the picture seems to show them NOT linking up.

The white circled part on the Trike just looks like where the red thingies in the pod stick outwards in the back. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Great work, captain_mills!

My only additional suggestion would be that the bridge, at least in the screen caps of the "trike" and the "quad" type starships, seems to more closely resemble that of the Enterprise than that of the Kelvin.

If you'll notice, particularly in the last two shots that you posted, it's possible to make out the multi-level teardrop shape and greenish upper sensor dome of the 1701-JJ. I don't recall getting a similar look at the two-nacelled ship (the "bike"?), but I'd imagine that it has a more complicated bridge than the Kelvin does, as well.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
    I see everything that you folks are talking about, but at the same time, I don't... The only reference pics I'm going off of are of the Kelvin.

Sounds funny, I know... I'm having a blast discussing this stuff, but in this 2D thread, why don't you guys draw what you'd like/hope/think that the parts look like... I think it would invite more speculation and discussion... I have no artistic talent for drawing, but would love to see what you all come up with! :)

Anyway... I'm finishing up my semester and need to have my grades finalized by tomorrow afternoon. After that, I'll be able to work on getting a 3D thread and just link to the thread and pics in here...

sorry... just a suggestion...
    CMills
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    LongShotSky i think your wrong in saying that the bridge looks more like the Enterprise's bridge because dnt forget tat these ships are kibashes of the Kelvin so it fits touse basically everything identical ust put in different places