Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

• captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Ok... so, I've started my own thread in the 3D WIP's section and I invite you all to check out the in-progress ships I've so far designed. I just can't seem to come up with a sketch of a "rollbar" that I like, besides the one that's currently on there. So, here's the link:

My Versions of the XI Fleet

CMills
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    Bernd Schneider has finally noticed that there was no "triad", and has updated his database accordingly. Ex Astris Scientia - Star Trek XI Ship Classes
  • kennethmdkennethmd341 Posts: 0Member
    The starship that the cadets were assign to in the book base on Star Trek XI, written by Alan Dean Foster are.
    USS. Armstrong
    USS. Defiant
    USS. Newton, commanded by Captain Alexander.
    USS. Mayflower: Wreckage seen on screen.
    USS. Excelsior
    USS. Endeavor
    USS. Antares: mention in the movie.
    USS. Farragut: mention in the movie
    USS. Odyssey
    USS. Drake
    USS. Potemkin
    USS. Bradbury
    USS. Kongo
    USS. Enterprise
    Regula One, It's either a ship or space station. Mention in the movie.
    Starbase Three.
    Starbase One

The top five ships were shown on the Enterprise tactical screen heading into the Vulcan system. That' is in the book by Alan Dean Foster.
    Ah, yes... the USS Antares instead of the USS Centaurus... This is a great list! Thanks for sharing! Wish we had registry numbers to go with them! :)

CMills

Edit:
    p.s. Weren't there only 7 ships? Or is this a difference between the book and the movie?
    Yes there were seven ship mention in the movie. Ayel had reported to Nero, that seven star fleet ships had enter the system. In the book, he doesn't announce it to Nero. But only talk about the progress of the drill.

Usually a book that is base on a movie, is the same as the movie itself. But the book have more detail in it. The same the other way around.
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    The book version of a film is usually written when the film itself is in it's early stages of development, so there are generally many differences between the novelization and the film. The film is usually the canon one, and whatever "extra" or conflicting content that the book might have is non-canon.
  • RekkertRekkert4045 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    Here's a new image from the ComicCon preview video for the Star Trek DVD/Blu-Ray, showing some concept images of some ships.
    71085.jpg
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Damn, you beat me to it. XD

Of course those names aren't canonical (or at least they're not any of the ships sent to Vulcan), but they provide good views of the Quad and the Bike. :D
    Not trying to resurrect a dead thread or necro post anything, but I'm wondering...

Last time we left this thread we were all eager to get better views of the ships from the DVD/Blu-Ray... Has anyone got a Blu-Ray computer and can take screencaps zoomed in of all the ships? I wouldn't mind a nice view of the Kobayashi Maru either...

Thanks!
    CMills
    Thanks for posting, Mills - I was wondering the same thing!! I don't have access to so much as the DVD, but hopefully one of the other guys who helped on this thread might have the movie. :D
    Lo, for I bring forth tidings of goodness and joy! Namely, Blu-Ray screencaps of the movie's ships. :thumb:

They don't provide too much insight that we hadn't already figured out, but they're still enlightening. And...how did the USS Mayflower's saucer go from being under the Enterprise to directly in front of it and slightly above? :confused:

th_trekxihd0799.jpg th_trekxihd0820.jpg th_trekxihd0821.jpg th_trekxihd0822.jpg th_trekxihd0823.jpg th_trekxihd0970.jpg th_trekxihd1010.jpg th_trekxihd1011.jpg th_trekxihd1012.jpg th_trekxihd1015.jpg th_trekxihd1017.jpg th_trekxihd1194.jpg th_trekxihd1198.jpg th_trekxihd1199.jpg th_trekxihd1202.jpg th_trekxihd1208.jpg
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    The magic teleportation of the Mayflower wreckage is thanks to budget cuts.
    Why make a new model for something that's only going to be seen for a few seconds. They just reused the same debris bit. Sound like classic Trek at it's best. :p
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    In classic trek, they at least repainted the names and stuff. :p
    The magic teleportation of the Mayflower wreckage is thanks to budget cuts.
    Why make a new model for something that's only going to be seen for a few seconds.
    The fact that the movie had a bigger budget than the original TV show was something that the production crew pompously boasted about incessantly, to the point of seeming overbearing - like they're somehow better than the old show purely on the basis that they could throw more money into their project. I hate that.
    Melak wrote: »
    In classic trek, they at least repainted the names and stuff. :p
    Exactly. :thumb:

They didn't bother repainting ANYTHING, from the obvious barcode scanners on the Bridge that didn't even have the wires removed to the Dyson hand-dryer in "Sickbay." They could have at least spent $1 on a can of spray paint, if they gave a damn about it...but we're getting off-topic.

Onto the ships! :D
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    Promus wrote: »
    Lo, for I bring forth tidings of goodness and joy! Namely, Blu-Ray screencaps of the movie's ships. :thumb:

They don't provide too much insight that we hadn't already figured out, but they're still enlightening. And...how did the USS Mayflower's saucer go from being under the Enterprise to directly in front of it and slightly above? :confused:

th_trekxihd0799.jpg th_trekxihd0820.jpg th_trekxihd0821.jpg th_trekxihd0822.jpg th_trekxihd0823.jpg th_trekxihd0970.jpg th_trekxihd1010.jpg th_trekxihd1011.jpg th_trekxihd1012.jpg th_trekxihd1015.jpg th_trekxihd1017.jpg th_trekxihd1194.jpg th_trekxihd1198.jpg th_trekxihd1199.jpg th_trekxihd1202.jpg th_trekxihd1208.jpg

Finally, Blu-Ray shots of the Kobayashi Maru! Finally I can make some better schematics, and probably even design a card model.

Looks like I was mostly right about the shape, but there seems to be something hanging down from the middle.

Edit: I take that back, my original schematic was still pretty accurate, I just keep mistaking the front "wedge" of the starboard cargo pod for some sort of pylon leading to a secondary hull between the pods. So the configuration I posited was correct, its an extended primary hull with two Kelvin type nacelles slightly above and two the sides, and then two cargo pods hanging down catamaran style. There does seem to be some large structure on the primary hull just forward of the bridge though.

We finally got the other type of ship in the fleet too! Interesting that it turns out to just be a Kelvin style saucer with two Kelvin style nacelles. Should be an easy one for me to make a physical model of. Unlike the concept, the "Mayflower" type appears to have lost the rollbar.

I should also consider changing the saucer shape of the "Newton" type.
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    I still have to say though, none of the ships at the spacedock have saucers big enough to match that wreckage, not even the "quad".
  • MEATLOAFrMEATLOAFr331 Posts: 0Member
    It's the JJverse - size matters not, or kept track of
  • MEATLOAFr wrote: »
    It's the JJverse - size matters not, or kept track of
    Paragon wrote: »
    I still have to say though, none of the ships at the spacedock have saucers big enough to match that wreckage, not even the "quad".

Let's be fair folks. When has size ever mattered in trek? How many scaling issues are there with the Excelsior, the Defiant, the Galaxy vs. the Excelsior. The Klingon Birds of Prey, the Neg'Var....the list is endless.

At the end of the day both old school trek and JJ verse abandon reality for the sake of drama.
  • MEATLOAFrMEATLOAFr331 Posts: 0Member
    so true, but it is annoying - just wish they could stick to how big they say they are, perspective can only account for so much
    I KNEW IT!!! The Bike doesn't have a rollbar! My original 3D model didn't have a rollbar on it. However, the Bike does seem to have a nice shuttlebay coming out to the back of the top of the saucer.

Also, the pylons on the Quad that go to the Shuttle Bays are friggin' huge!

I'm not as picky... I see the film and am in awe at wonderful things. The fact that the Mayflower hull appears in two places doesn't occur to me until I see the stills. We do this in 3D modeling all the time. I have cut and pasted my own work on countless occasions. I create one nacelle I'm proud of and then duplicate it for the other side. If they're going to work on great looking damaged hull and then duplicate it for the sake of a debris field, then whoop-de-doo (don't jump on me, just an opinion...)

In the mean time, THANKS FOR THE IMAGES!!! They're awesome... But it does make me want a bunch of styrene kits of them... for all the kitbashing fodder!!! :D
    It's great to see Paragon and Captain_Mills back in action once more! "This is exciting!" :thumb:
    Finally, Blu-Ray shots of the Kobayashi Maru! Finally I can make some better schematics, and probably even design a card model.

We finally got the other type of ship in the fleet too! Interesting that it turns out to just be a Kelvin style saucer with two Kelvin style nacelles. Should be an easy one for me to make a physical model of.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I also can't wait to download, print, and model them myself... :D

What was the "Newton" type? Are you talking about the Bike?

I KNEW IT!!! The Bike doesn't have a rollbar! My original 3D model didn't have a rollbar on it. However, the Bike does seem to have a nice shuttlebay coming out to the back of the top of the saucer.

Haha, I knew you were right all along. I would never have guessed about the shuttlebay, but I like the fact that it's there; all of the ships I design (without a secondary hull) have shuttlebays behind the Bridge, as well. :)
    It's great to see Paragon and Captain_Mills back in action once more! "This is exciting!" :thumb:

We finally got the other type of ship in the fleet too! Interesting that it turns out to just be a Kelvin style saucer with two Kelvin style nacelles. Should be an easy one for me to make a physical model of.

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I also can't wait to download, print, and model them myself... :D

What was the "Newton" type? Are you talking about the Bike?

Haha, I knew you were right all along. I would never have guessed about the shuttlebay, but I like the fact that it's there; all of the ships I design (without a secondary hull) have shuttlebays behind the Bridge, as well. :)

And you're quite welcome for the images! I was only too happy to discover and post 'em!
    It's a busy time of year, but as soon as I get a chance, I'll see what I can do about adding a shuttlebay to the back of my Bike (I'm calling it the Mayflower). I might have to resurrect the old thread (what on page 42 of the 3D WIPs? LOL).

:D
    Well, I wouldn't mind at all if you resurrected your old thread! What leads you to believe that the Bike might be the Mayflower? Somehow (maybe the fact that the disc suddenly gets so huge next to the Enterprise in the un-realistically dense debris field) I picture it as being a Trike.
    The Newton class, is a half saucer four nacelles starship. We saw one when the Enterprise was turning away from the space station. The Mayflower class has only two nacelles. The ship that have the three nacelles below the saucer is the Armstrong Class. The starship that have two nacelles above and connected to the saucer; And, either a third nacelle or engineering hull below the saucer. That one should be call the Truman class.

Correction, The Newton Class has a half saucer, two nacelles above the saucer and connected to it, and with a roll bar connected to both nacelles; And has two engineering hulls below and connected to the saucer.
    Where'd you get that info, Ken?
    Kennethmd,

I too am curious to know where you found this information...

Promus,

Just from what I've seen of the films, the only one of the "fleet" ships with an entirely complete saucer is the Bike... The saucer debris that the Enterprise encounters has a half of a saucer, but there are no "cut-outs" in the aft portion of it... Examining the photos you posted, this picture here shows all the types of ships in this fleet

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Deloravius/Star%20Trek/2009%20Movie/Ships/trekxihd1017.jpg

There's a Trike, a bike, and two quads... the trike and quads all have partial saucers, with shuttle bays or other details tucked into them. The Bike is the only one with a saucer that goes all the way around without interruptions. Now, in this picture,

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Deloravius/Star%20Trek/2009%20Movie/Ships/trekxihd1208.jpg

... there are missing parts from the damage, but no "cut-outs" or purposeful interruptions in the saucer, even though we only see about half of it (I'm guessing that they're mostly symmetrical).

Whatcha think? Is my logic sound?

EDIT: Post-Thought: Which is the first ship to warp out of Sol1? Is it the Bike? The damage to the saucer (split along the seam from front to back, along the shuttlebay) looks as if it may have been attacked first, and then had another ship run into it... Just like the Enterprise almost did... If another second or third ship warps into the system without warning, and comes into the debris field, it may have collided with the saucer, splitting it down the middle, after it was already damaged beyond recognition by the Narada... Just a thought...
    Kennethmd,

I too am curious to know where you found this information...

Promus,

Just from what I've seen of the films, the only one of the "fleet" ships with an entirely complete saucer is the Bike... The saucer debris that the Enterprise encounters has a half of a saucer, but there are no "cut-outs" in the aft portion of it... Examining the photos you posted, this picture here shows all the types of ships in this fleet

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Deloravius/Star%20Trek/2009%20Movie/Ships/trekxihd1017.jpg

There's a Trike, a bike, and two quads... the trike and quads all have partial saucers, with shuttle bays or other details tucked into them. The Bike is the only one with a saucer that goes all the way around without interruptions. Now, in this picture,

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/Deloravius/Star%20Trek/2009%20Movie/Ships/trekxihd1208.jpg

... there are missing parts from the damage, but no "cut-outs" or purposeful interruptions in the saucer, even though we only see about half of it (I'm guessing that they're mostly symmetrical).

EDIT: Post-Thought: Which is the first ship to warp out of Sol1? Is it the Bike? The damage to the saucer (split along the seam from front to back, along the shuttlebay) looks as if it may have been attacked first, and then had another ship run into it... Just like the Enterprise almost did... If another second or third ship warps into the system without warning, and comes into the debris field, it may have collided with the saucer, splitting it down the middle, after it was already damaged beyond recognition by the Narada... Just a thought...

I've gotten the information of the ships from Ex Astris Scientia. I'm just guessing on the name of the starships class themself.
    Hell yes - you'd better believe it is!! Wow...NICE job! Finally, for the first time, we have a confirmed name-to-ship matchup. Thanks, Mills! :thumb:

Regarding your "post thought," I'm pretty sure that the Bike IS the first one to warp out. So that's a very interesting theory of yours! Although considering that they just reused the same saucer to represent different pieces of debris, I doubt that it was an intentional thing. :)

I don't think that Ken's sources are very good, since Ex-Astris-Scientia is kind of behind on the 2009 Background Ship info. If someone wants the cutting edge of discoveries (as it were), they need to check out this thread! :D
    Promus wrote: »
    Hell yes - you'd better believe it is!! Wow...NICE job! Finally, for the first time, we have a confirmed name-to-ship matchup. Thanks, Mills! :thumb:

Regarding your "post thought," I'm pretty sure that the Bike IS the first one to warp out. So that's a very interesting theory of yours! Although considering that they just reused the same saucer to represent different pieces of debris, I doubt that it was an intentional thing. :)

I don't think that Ken's sources are very good, since Ex-Astris-Scientia is kind of behind on the 2009 Background Ship info. If someone wants the cutting edge of discoveries (as it were), they need to check out this thread! :D

Which thread you referring to? Oh, by the way. I thought there were four different class type of starships that were at the space dock with the Enterprise. But there were only three types. That's not counting the small starship that was there to. But didn't leave with the fleet.

Oh. I have the Star Trek DVD. Anyway, When I played the movie, I turn on the close caption on my television. According to the Caption. The ships that were mention, where USS. Hood, USS. Farragut, USS. Wolcott, USS. Newton, and USS. Antares. These ships were mention in the hanger bay.