Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I agree with Promus - there's no point shoving arbitrary labels on these classes; they'll likely end up confusing the less well-informed fans later down the line when (if) actual names become official...
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Meteo, don't curse in your posts and replace it with "****." Either use curse words that are acceptable within the forum rules or just omit it entirely.
  • MeteoMeteo171 Boardinghouse in Federal WayPosts: 0Member
    Which ones? The good old reliable Red Green expletive, "crap?"
    Or find a better way to phrase things if that doesn't suit you. It really isn't necessary, and since this is a forum that younger children are allowed to join, just be careful.
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Just an observation, but I wouldn't put Lord William Kelvin and Socrates in the same category. I'd put Kelvin in the same category as Newton, Keppler, Brahe, Huygens, Bernoulli, Euler, Lagrange, Laplace, Gauss, Lorenz, Maxwell, Einstein, and other such prominent mathematical physicists of the1700's, 1800's, and 1900's...

Or maybe in a different category of Scottish rivers and Tributaries...

:D

Again, just an observation...
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    Or just don't post here anymore, Meteo. Your ships are pretty much terrible, your ship class names are pointless, and swearing in the form of asterisks is really very immature.
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    ouch....now that was rude, Iron. His ships may be terrible, the class name's pointless...and his swearing's immature, but you have to give him credit. He tries hard...we all do.
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, it's always good to stay away from personal attacks as well, regardless of their relative veracity. ;)
    Woah... I'm gonna have to spend some time working on my 3D versions just to steer this back on course...

Seriously, ditto Promus' remark... Let's have fun with this and avoid personal attacks... I've never personally seen any of Meteo's work...

Personally, my work sucks worse than anyone else's! If ever there were an amateur posting here, it's me...

CM
    You do yourself a tremendous disservice, Captain. Your versions of the STXI "background ships" are certainly some of the most accurate floating around - moreso than even Tobias Richter's versions! I've always really enjoyed your work, and I look forward to seeing more of it in the future! :)
    *blush* You flatter me...
    The cussing isn't immature, even if it was, it's not my fault, the programming blots out most expletives.

...And some of my STXI Class names come from the film, some I make up. I don't name a class after the first representative on screen, except for some of the time.
    *blush* you flatter me...

kawaii!!!! He blushed!!!!!! X3
    *blush* You flatter me...

Haha, I only speak the truth, my friend! :thumb:
    Redone STXI nacelles.bmp

Here's how my modification of the STXI Shipkit nacelles are coming. I took the ones used in the Philadelphia and Centaurus side views and modified it, to get it to be even more like the movie nacelles.
    76804.bmp
    ...And I've modified them a little more, they're now more rounded, like the ones on the background ships.

Redone STXI nacelles.bmp
    76808.bmp
    Please don't double-post; if you could just go back and edit your original post, that would be appreciated. :)

Those don't look like anything from the movie.
    That's also thread-jacking, which is generally frowned upon.
    Made a few changes to each one, so it's not exactly double posting, but yeah.

...AAANNHHHH. They looked somewhat like the nacelles on the background ships, and since I've rounded them a little more and changed the aft rods, they look even more like the ones in the movie.
    I'm afraid they're not exactly in the spirit of this thread. If you want to make your own thread to show your updates and link us to it here, that would be great. But maybe it's best if you don't post them here. Thanks.
    Thanks for the complements...

Anyway I wanted to run a thought past everyone here...

When I sit down to work on a model, whether in 3D or a physical model, I purposefully try to make subtle differences between my work and what is seen onscreen. So, in a way, I go out of my way to make things not entirely accurate. To me, each ship is given certain details and modifications based on it's particular mission... even if from the same class.

For instance, in the old "Ships of the Line" series, I remember seeing several versions of the Constitution Class ships, but with different modifications. Some have shuttle bays in the saucer, and some have different deflectors. Also, there are visual differences between the 1701 late version and the 1701-A (re-christened from the Yorktown). Both ships were Constitution Class, but visually different.

Anyways, The model I've created for the Mayflower has parts that were meant to not be identical to the Kelvin, but be similar enough to be identifiable. So in a way, I try not to make them accurate.

What do you think?

Anyway, I have a free day, so to speak, this Monday. I'll try to finish my lousy version of a shuttlebay for the Mayflower. I'll post pics in my other thread in the 3D WIPs section and link them here if anyone's interested.

:)

Edit:
    The font used on the Mayflower looks to be a font called Federation Hull (very TOSish) but it also looks to have a border around it similar to the 1701A hull font. See pg. 23 in this thread...
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    ...AAANNHHHH. They looked somewhat like the nacelles on the background ships, and since I've rounded them a little more and changed the aft rods, they look even more like the ones in the movie.

Meteo, you need glasses. And stop posting stuff in here!! This thread was started way-back-when to create ACCURATE profile images of the unnamed ship classes seen in the new movie, and yours are anything but. So please just post your work in YOUR thread.
    Promus wrote: »
    I'm afraid they're not exactly in the spirit of this thread. If you want to make your own thread to show your updates and link us to it here, that would be great. But maybe it's best if you don't post them here. Thanks.

He already HAS his own thread, in the 2D gallery section. But he stopped posting there for some reason.
    ...I'll put up some new STXI designs in the other thread pretty soon.

...And since I've been revising the STXI shipkit nacelles, they have looked a good deal like the Background ship nacelles, and the middle saucer looks somewhat like the Kelvin's saucer, although not fantastically well done.

...Since the Philadelphia and Centaurus have the non-revised nacelles, I'll have to update those, plus I'm gonna be off, doing other stuff, like doing up a Klingon ship for some guy somewhere.
    Ironscythe wrote: »
    He already HAS his own thread, in the 2D gallery section. But he stopped posting there for some reason.

Then why in blazes is he still posting his stuff here? It's really getting annoying, especially his "unofficially official" class names. :mad:
    Meteo wrote: »
    ...I'll put up some new STXI designs in the other thread pretty soon.

Please do, and it's probably a good idea to keep them there. I've been civil all this time but my patience is wearing thin, as I'm sure is the case with the other contributing posters.
    ...You may not like them, but cobbling together names for the ships, some from the movie, some not, has worked out pretty well for me so far, and if the Trek XI guys actually give the ships official class names, I'll probably switch over to them.

...And it's pretty obvious that I'm going to post new Trek XI ship designs in the other thread, they'll be totally new designs not in the movie.

...AND PROMUS, THEY'RE NOT MEANT TO BE PASSED OFF AS OFFICIAL.
    Ok, well, in my 3D WIPs thread, I posted this image:

76981d1263854890-my-versions-xi-fleet-more-may01a.jpg

Let me know what you think... I'm guessing that I'll have to post a bigger picture of them, since the quality is not as high as I had thought it would be...

CM
    Pretty damn decent ship, Right there. I've assumed that the Mayflower was yet another attempt at a TOS Miranda, and even though that's not fantastically bad, I'm still glad they did some other, different ship classes for the movie, as well.
    Very nice work, Captain Mills. Definately the most screen-accurate Mayflower I've seen modelled yet!
  • ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    Ok, well, in my 3D WIPs thread, I posted this image:

76981d1263854890-my-versions-xi-fleet-more-may01a.jpg

Let me know what you think... I'm guessing that I'll have to post a bigger picture of them, since the quality is not as high as I had thought it would be...

CM

Not to offend you, or discount your excellent work, but something just doesn't look right about that ship. Something about it just looks too flat. Not that I suggest you've got it wrong...just that its an ugly ship. :P

Things I might toy with were I working on this:
    - Shorten the nacelles to the same size as the outboard nacelles on the "trike"
    - Lengthen the pylons, make the slopes of the front and back of them parallel
    - Make the saucer thicker.
    ...and don't forget the roll-bar and the shuttlebays! x3