Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

15678911»

• ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    ...and don't forget the roll-bar and the shuttlebays! x3

Actually, if you go all the way back to page 23 and look at the screencaps, the Mayflower type doesn't actually have a rollbar. It should, because I think it looks damn ugly without it, but thats the "canon" source.
  • MeteoMeteo171 Boardinghouse in Federal WayPosts: 0Member
    unnamed ship IV.bmp

Unnamed ship IV, from STXI's Stardock Scene.
    77349.bmp
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, all... And no offense taken. Whether ugly or not, I'm just going off what few screencaps we have from the film. Also, the saucer is flatter than some of the other ships on purpose... Comparing and contrasting, there's not as much height in the B-C-D deck (visually from the screencaps again) as there is in some of the other ships...

For this little "bike" or Mayflower, I'll prolly leave her alone until I get more evidence, whether or not it's "ugly" (seems to be a prevailing theme through all the ST:XI ships... no one seems to like them but me...)

:)

So, lets see... Which one should I work on next?
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    How about the "Newton" Type, the two nacelled, two engineering hull one.
    (Also, I'm one of the few that likes, nay LOVES, the ST:XI ships)

Maybe even take a stab at the Klingon "warbird"? :D
    Thanks for the suggestions, all... And no offense taken. Whether ugly or not, I'm just going off what few screencaps we have from the film. Also, the saucer is flatter than some of the other ships on purpose... Comparing and contrasting, there's not as much height in the B-C-D deck (visually from the screencaps again) as there is in some of the other ships...

For this little "bike" or Mayflower, I'll prolly leave her alone until I get more evidence, whether or not it's "ugly" (seems to be a prevailing theme through all the ST:XI ships... no one seems to like them but me...)

:)

So, lets see... Which one should I work on next?

I really like the Kelvin, Newton and Armstrong types personally. The new Constitution class is nice but not my favorite. Its just that Mayflower that annoys me.

Anyway, I decided to cut up a screenshot and compare the Bike and Trike. I guess the nacelles are actually Kelvin length, but I think it shows that the Saucer is still just as thick.
    77366.jpg
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Mills, you're certainly not alone in liking the background ships of ST:XI - even though I'm a TOS purist, I actually like their EXTERIOR designs a lot. They work well as pre-TOS designs, and as someone who was starved for new ship designs, my hunger was satisfied after seeing them. I don't like their interiors, and I hate the new Connie, but the Bike, Trike, Quad...they're cool. :)

I think Paragon is right in that the Mayflower's saucer isn't any less thick than the Quad's or the Trike's. I think it's safe to say that the saucers are standardized, and that the other designs are more or less kitbashes without any actual variation in the different parts themselves.

I still stand by my opinion that your work on the background ships is better/more accurate than Tobias Richter. ;)
    How about the "Newton" Type, the two nacelled, two engineering hull one.
    (Also, I'm one of the few that likes, nay LOVES, the ST:XI ships)

Maybe even take a stab at the Klingon "warbird"? :D

Yeah, Warbird, because everyone knows that Klingons and Romulans are interchangable.
    Meteo wrote: »
    Yeah, Warbird, because everyone knows that Klingons and Romulans are interchangable.

You realize knowing the term Warbird traditionally refers to Romulan ships, not Klingons, is why he put that word in quotations, right? And that he did that because in the movie, McCoy actually says, "Three more Klingon warbirds decloaking and targeting our ship", right?
    I know what quotations are.
    Oh, and Paragon, thanks a bunch for cutting up that screenshot - it seems simple but it's a lot of help. :)
  • IronscytheIronscythe0 Posts: 0Member
    Meteo- Stop POSTING HERE ALREADY. I reported your last submission to this thread, and it was removed. But you REPOSTED it! Take a hint! Even the admins agree with me on this!
    Meteo, I'm going to ask you ONE. LAST. TIME.

Either make designs that are ACCURATE TO THE FILM, or stop posting here.

Do you understand what we are saying?
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Guys - Being that this thread wasn't created by any of you kind of precludes you from having a say as to what is "appropriate" for this thread, who should be allowed to post in it, and what they can post.

Seriously, enough already. There's enough antaognising in the last few pages from all sides. Grow up guys.

Meteo - If you want to keep posting your designs and opinions, do so in your own thread. You might get more interest in your work that way anyway.

Ironscythe - Tone it down. Considerably. Personally attacking a member is not acceptable regardless of the circumstances.

The SFM staff have a pet hate and that is something we call "member patrol". Promus, Ironscythe - you are not Mods and you don't dictate what happens in threads. Especially those that aren't your own. Thank you for reporting the thread but you are not helping the situation at all by running about demanding that members do your bidding. Do you really think that's going to work anyway? I assure you it will do little but have the thread degenerate further.

And now back to our regular scheduled programming...
    Comco wrote: »
    Meteo - If you want to keep posting your designs and opinions, do so in your own thread.

That's all we've been trying to ask him, to varying (and degenerating) degrees of civility, as his repeated postings continued to ignore our requests and raise our irritation.
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    Gentlemen, please....we mustn't fight over this debate. I'm sure Meteo never meant to irritate you. If you want accurate drawings, I know a couple of people that did it...umm...make that three: UniversalTim, Madman1701A, and Capt. Shade. They're accurate.

Capt. Shade: captshade's Gallery
    Madman1701A: MadMan's Shipyard | Starship Projects
    UniversalTim: http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/52700-itrek-new-enterprise.html
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Promus wrote: »
    That's all we've been trying to ask him, to varying (and degenerating) degrees of civility, as his repeated postings continued to ignore our requests and raise our irritation.

Which is why you report the posts and move on. Don't keep exacerbating the situation.

And you're missing my point entirely. You're certainly entitled to ask someone not to do something but leave the demands and orders to the staff.

I am now asking Meteo to stop posting here in the interests of keeping this rubbish out of the thread. If it continues, the next step would be to just close the thread entirely but I'm trying not to do that.
    I don't mean to sadistically torture you in some dark area somewhere. I'll probably make a few minor comments on this page, but nothing else other than that.

I'll finish up a few ship designs and put them up elsewhere.
    I'll finish up a few ship designs and put them up elsewhere.

Sounds good, man. Feel free to post a link to your thread when you do. Your designs may not have been in the spirit of the thread but I did like how you added more TOS influences to your designs (particularly the primary hulls). :thumb:

If you look back at my previous posts you'll see that I never wanted to get short with you, so I'm glad we've all reached an agreement. :)

Gardner, thanks a ton for those links - I really liked MadMan's designs. Beautiful stuff! :D
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-gallery/74916-stxi-ships-backdates-new-post.html

...I came up with backdated 60s versions of the background ships and the Kelvin, and a few new designs with the new STXI shipkit nacelles will be up soon.
    Thanks for the link, Meteo! :)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    Can I just say, as someone who contributes very little to this forum, that I am so happy a thread I started got THIS long?

Chris
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-gallery/74916-stxi-ships-backdates-new-post.html

...I came up with backdated 60s versions of the background ships and the Kelvin, and a few new designs with the new STXI shipkit nacelles will be up soon.

That seems to have vanished
    It wasn't relevant to the thread, so the moderators removed the post. Still, if you want to see the designs, check out Meteo's thread. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    You know, it's funny because when I saw the Kobayashi Maru in the movie, it reminded me of the design that's been going around for a few years now. I've attached the image (I can't remember who actually drew it). I think you can find it on Starship Schematics Database

It's always fun when I see my old ship pop up somewhere, even though the gridded-up version in the unauthorized (by me) version that Jackill did. I put up the story a while back on my site. Though I dabble a bit in meshwork, most of my modeling is old school plastic, glue, and paint.
  • Orion's beltOrion's belt0 Posts: 0Member
    sorry to Forum-res but I was curious if anyone remembers the other Star Fleet ships redone in TOS styling by some artist using sketchup?