Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise Season Five A– NX A‘Toon

• somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    So you"ll be finished when? Tomorrow? Wednesday? :shiner:

^runs :runs:

Hey hey let's be realistic here. How about christmas ? :p Seriously, I think I will get some quality time with it tomorrow and day after that. Then I have some more important stuff to do ... until saturday. However, just like it was with the NX I am sure that the refits / cleanups will carry on until we get the first episode out. Don't forget that it's Ent's 5th year so we never know when will it need some upgrades (even though she may not come home as frequently as she did in the 4th season). Anyway we will have to wait and see what Pheon decides because my role here is just to make some grphics :D
    Wow the sentence about christmas was true :lol: (and only about the bridge...) Anyway, let's check the project's status ...

business-ekg.jpg

Yep, it's alive :D Pheon had a lot of real-life stuff to take care of and I was busy with my university but now we're both getting a break and will continue to work on the series. Here is today's update for the NX bridge. (will it ever end ? :mad:)

bridge24.jpg
    bridge25.jpg

Massive updates and actual footage (probably in forms of singular screenshots) is on the way so stay tuned ! I know that it should go to the recruitement forums but if anyone wants to join Pheon's team (which right now includes him and me), just post your will here and I will get the message through. It's a non-profit project so there aren't any real profits apart from gaining experience but I'm helping out Pheon for a few months now and it was pretty cool so far :cool:
    ps. if you check the first page you will know that this isn't one of those projects that will disappear after a week.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    ps. if you check the first page you will know that this isn't one of those projects that will disappear after a week.

Well, this project runs for a week or two, then disappears, and rematerializes when you least expect it. :p

^runs :runs:
    Hahahaha well that's true actually :lol: But even that way it's the most-resurrected project ever :D
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Hm. So it's a cloakable Ferengi?

Looks nice.
    Aresius wrote: »
    Hm. So it's a cloakable Ferengi?

Looks nice.

Hmmm not a Ferengi - we're more like the Xyryllians from third Enterprise episode (the one where Trip got pregnant :D) - we can cloak but also replicate everything :devil: (although the speed of that process can be varied ...)
    Fascinating.
    ;)
    I don't know why Aresius, but that one word made me laugh for quite a while :D
    Ok what you may find really fascinating is that Pheon is already doing test shots with the bridge set and characters. I'm not sure if he wants people to see them yet so I will ask him that later ... but I don't guarantee anything :p All I can say is that it will be one hell of a ride once complete :D Pheon did an amazing job with the script and I'm sure it will appeal both to core fans (no more time travel, returning characters,places and events that will no doubt tie up many loose ends), Enterprise fans (it will be more like the 4th season) and new people (the story is related to events that occured outside of the episode but there's no need to know them if you want to understand what's happening).
    Christmas has just started for me today so expect new updates today :D
    I'm really looking forward, however I wonder about the voices... If need be, I offer my help in that corner.
    I recently read on Memory Alpha that it was intended to have Guinan appear in the 5th season, to give another hint onto her miraculous and fascinating nature.
    The voices aren't going to be recorded anytime soon (mostly because the second part of the script isn't finished yet) but thanks for the offer - either I or Pheon will contact you once that process starts.
    When it comes to any character appearance or events, I can't really get into those details. Pheon has some plans for further episodes but they're focused on explaining "why something is that way in the future" and I fear that other races won't get much screen time.
    However, we still haven't got through the first trailer so there's still plenty of time before the first episode airs. Luckily Pheon and I have some free time now and we'll be able to finish the most important stuff and think about the rest.
    Updates will come later today. I am refining the bridge right now - adding missing details such as lights on the walls and painting shadows on the set (we're not going to use calculated maps because the cel-shaded material can only work with sharp shadows and they make the bridge look like a mess - check out earlier images). Oh and Pheon is doing characters so stay tuned for that too :D
    Thanks for the support !
    Update. I decided to do shadows by using maps that will imitate them (soft shadows are hard to work with when using cel-shading so I decided to use that technique because it saves time and processor power) and here are the first results of a 20-minute work :

bridgeshadows1.jpg

And an updated ceiling. I rebuilt some parts of it because they looked blocky and there wasn't enough detail in them.

bridgeshadows2.jpg

Opinions ? :D
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Looking nice!
    You using Mental Ray? Just asking because I think I can spot the glare shader there :D
    This stuff is total garbage- i cant believe you wasted all this tim.......:idea: oops! i mean, this stuff is awesome dude!!! :flippy: :thumb:

btw, if you need some help refining the script, i dont have any practical experience, but a fresh set of eyes couldnt hurt ;)
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Hey great work!
    Melak wrote: »
    Looking nice!
    You using Mental Ray? Just asking because I think I can spot the glare shader there :D

Thanks. You're right - that's the material. It's very helpful for making all kinds of glowing stuff :D
    This stuff is total garbage- i cant believe you wasted all this tim.......:idea: oops! i mean, this stuff is awesome dude!!! :flippy: :thumb:

btw, if you need some help refining the script, i dont have any practical experience, but a fresh set of eyes couldnt hurt ;)

Banned for writing a post that bashes my work :flippy: Gah it's not the GD :mad: I will ban you there ! When it comes to working with script it will be best if you contact Pheon (I can drop you a PM with his email). Remember that it's top-secret and it will be hard as hell to get to it :D
    uniderth wrote: »
    Hey great work!

Thank you very much :D

I'm not sure if I will find a few minutes of free time to do anything else today but I already started doing the mess hall so you can expect something new tomorrow !
    Looks indeed great, I like it.
    And frankly, for a toon, it's quite realistic.
    Thanks :) The realism is one of the good "side effects" that you get when you model an image in 3D. First of all, it makes the scene feel familiar to the viewer and since it's polygon-based, it looks a bit different from 2D characters and helps us (well it's mostly Pheon's job to do the compositing) to avoid the situation where the background "melts" with the characters. Pheon already did some shots and once they're ready for the public release, you will get what I mean :D
  • baxartbaxart0 Posts: 0Member
    The voices aren't going to be recorded anytime soon (mostly because the second part of the script isn't finished yet) but thanks for the offer - either I or Pheon will contact you once that process starts.

Count me in on the voices. PM me and I can send demos!

Bridge looks sweet!
    baxart wrote: »
    Count me in on the voices. PM me and I can send demos!

Bridge looks sweet!

Ok I will get your (and Aresius's) message to Pheon and then he will decide what to do :D

I'm extremely busy today so here's the smallest update you could ever imagine; the mess hall (made in less than 5 minutes :lol:) :

messhall1.jpg
    5 minutes for that...
    Impressive, impressive indeed.

Great work.
    Glad you liked it :D I will try to update it today and add chairs, tables and some lights near the windows.
    Christmas special ! :lol: This time about 10 minutes of work time ... Small details near the wall, raised windows and tables with chairs. Shadows were scaled a bit wrong but I didn't even look at them before I uploaded them :rolleyes:

messhall3.jpg
    So, nothing for Hanukkah? :p

sweet update!

BTW, never got why having the metal beams was considered de-tech, in the ENT architecture. I would assume that 100 years from now, we could build spaceships without visible beams..../*rant :D
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Very cool!!
    Nice work.

@Homer, I think that's due to the (IMHO wrong) assumption that the lwoer the tech, the less improved the aesthetics are over the effectiveness.
    However that only applies to the Human design concept. Klingosn care less for the aesthetics...
    @Aresius: Honestly, i think it was just a matter of making it obviously "lower-tech" so it fits in better in a prequel setting. Frankly, i dont believe it would be practical; in an alert situation, crewman need to be able to get to their posts quickly; having huge crossbeams could potentially get in the way. Besides, if the ship were to lose gravity, then it would be dangerous for a crewman to bash his head against a sharp-edged pillar :lol:

@somacruz: still waiting for more updates!
    I thought the edges are smoothed up and.. kinda with hand grip? Y'know, especially in case the gravity's gone...
    Thanks guys :D
    About the beams - I seriously have no idea why anyone would design them that way ... the horizontal ones are high and could be covered while the angled ones have no reason for not being covered with another layer of wall ... anyway, new updates will come tomorrow because I'm going to church at the midnight and I have to rest :D
    Thanks for the support and merry christmas ladies and gentlement ! (and younger SFM users too)
    ps. if you have a different holiday then happy *insert the name here* :D. If you're an atheist then you should be happy because you get some days off for nothing ! :devil:
  • uniderthuniderth1 Posts: 0Member
    Maybe they aren't really structural beams. Maybe the designers said, "Hey, let's just put some cool looking beams here with holes in them."

"But sir, what are they for?"

"Kuz dey lookin' kewl!"
    Hahaha yeah that's probably the most "logical" explanation for them. It's like the glowing tubes on Columbia's bridge (seriously that was 100%-WTF moment :lol:)... I can guarantee you that I won't be doing anything like that with new sets/ships (even if Pheon designs something useless I will just refuse to do it :p)