Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DNCC-1701-E

• SnowCrashSnowCrash191 Posts: 279Member
    Additional weapons systems were added to facilitate the chase scene. Primarily a rear facing torpedo launcher and a pair of phaser arrays on each nacelle strut.
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    the saucer is more blended into the sec hull on the upper side, the nacelles are moved upwards and forwards slightly, and there are extra torpedo launchers and phaser arrays here and there.
  • JDRJDR0 Posts: 0Member
    2cvbloke wrote: »
    Well, the physical ILM model used was shorter as the nacelles were moved forwards for some reason

Actually, the First Contact model came out a bit longer and flatter than the designer wanted. The new mesh built in LW at Digital Domain was "taller" and the nacelles moved forwards, shortening the ship overall slightly.

I like the First Contact version the most though.
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    2cvbloke wrote: »
    (but in reality, the modellers probably couldn't stop tinkering with the design!!!)...

Err, no, John Eaves made all the changes. Jay didn't add anything IIRC.

M
    JDR wrote: »
    Actually, the First Contact model came out a bit longer and flatter than the designer wanted. The new mesh built in LW at Digital Domain was "taller" and the nacelles moved forwards, shortening the ship overall slightly.

I like the First Contact version the most though.

Correct. The Nemesis version is exactly what John wanted it to be.

M
    Meanwhile, Mr T says....

Move along, fools. Nothing to see here.

M.
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    heh, couldnt put it all into one reply? :devil:
    On a side note: Aye, Dave. I'd like to see you work more on her, but it's understandable you've better things to do.
    Pish posh......
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    ok one last time...

exactly 6 months ago to this very day I had a hard disk crash, just as I was getting back into modelling this, but that's life I guess

I only recently got this model transferred to a useable computer again, but I have a couple of other models to do for a project I'm committed to right now, once those are done I'll get back to either this or voyager, probably voyager because it's closer to being finished, and because some people just need to be shown how it's done properly :p then i'll do the sovvy

I doubt you'll be seeing any work on this before february, but I didn't loose anything on it in the hard disk crash except some modelling rhythm, so apart from the 6 month gap the model is fine

the end
    small update, I'm taking advantage of LW9s new surface baking camera and redoing the illumination map for the observation lounge

I've actually done 2 maps this time, one for interior lighting and one for skydome lighting, rendering them both together was a whole 10 hours faster than rendering the old one on its own, and they look miles better, if you want a comparison I've attached 2 renders below, you can see how washed out, grainy and full of errors the old one is

here's a quick flythrough animation, there's still a few errors that I need to paint out (you can see a few on the chairs), ones I didn't spot in the viewports so I'll do that next, but I think they look great for 1024x1024 greyscale maps

Animation

a render of the lounge with real lighting is on the first page if you want to take a look
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    *awaits the flood*

Nice rework Dave- you got your modelling mojo back with this one? :)
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • Shadowman99Shadowman99331 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome. That could be a freakin photo. You're really doing justice to the Ent-E.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Awesome! I'm so happy to see that this is moving forward again :-) I've admired your work on the ent e a lot, and the help you gave me in the past has pushed me to a point where I can work on my current project. :thumb:
  • Icon1Icon1331 Posts: 0Member
    It's back, oh thank god it's back.:D Glad to see you didn't forget about this.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    IRML wrote: »
    I think they look great for 1024x1024 greyscale maps
    They just look great. Period!

Beautiful work.
    IRML wrote: »
    small update, I'm taking advantage of LW9s new surface baking camera and redoing the illumination map for the observation lounge

Aren't you glad I showed you how to do that, now ;)

M.
    btw the voyager model you can see at the start (the top left of the cabinets) is the sub-d object for my proper voyager
  • SnowCrashSnowCrash191 Posts: 279Member
    Nice work Dave - 'bout time we saw some more of this :)
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Wow! Wow! Wow!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    IRML you scare my computers CPu :p The level if detail you put into your models is truly stunning...
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Looks excellent, though it does look a little blotchy in places. In the animation however it looks excellent! Did you do it in Fprime, or the lightwave camera?
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Unf***ing-baleavable!!
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    My one regret is that i do not have the time to be able to sit down and take on a project like this. The last several years of my life have been jam packed.

Amazing work IRML, as always.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    I'm wondering... never surface baked anything before. Is it one single image map for the entire model? Or do you get several maps (for the chairs, the table, etc...)?
    tobian wrote: »
    Looks excellent, though it does look a little blotchy in places. In the animation however it looks excellent! Did you do it in Fprime, or the lightwave camera?
    I used the lightwave camera, it rendered quick enough having no lights in the scene :p

I did have to use ray traced reflections though
    :P No I meant did you render out your map using Lightwave renderer, or do the radiosity solution in Fprime, as 3.01 does support baking UV maps.

You can render to any UV map you've made on the model: It simply outputs the rendered view of the 'UV View' to an image file, which you can then re-map onto that UV map, presumably with different surfacing properties :)
    Mr. Wilde wrote: »
    I'm wondering... never surface baked anything before. Is it one single image map for the entire model? Or do you get several maps (for the chairs, the table, etc...)?
    it bakes to whatever UV you set up, in this case I just did an atlas of the lounge, ignoring the windows and glass

I've attached a copy of the background lighting map at half res so you can see
    damn you and your fast posting tehbian!
    :P No I meant did you render out your map using Lightwave renderer, or do the radiosity solution in Fprime, as 3.01 does support baking UV maps.
    I did the maps with LWs renderer too, although all my tests were with fprime, it's great being able to see the surface bake interactively when you're setting it up, and it's great to be able to apply buffer exports to the baked surface too, neither of which you could do with the old one, it also comes out much more accurate to the actual lighting conditions
    hehe near-parallel posting :)

Ahh cool, and yeah the buffer export thing is handy in LW, I do wish they'd do buffer channels in FP!

You might get less wierd errors if you added a tiny bit more space to the UV map (the UV atlass spacing percentage) and overbaked the edges a little (I think there's a setting there for something like that?) Otherwise yeah, it'll have to be hand painting! and yes LW radiosity modes are MUCH improved! Unless I do them, and my station kills the joy :D
    You might get less wierd errors if you added a tiny bit more space to the UV map (the UV atlass spacing percentage) and overbaked the edges a little (I think there's a setting there for something like that?) Otherwise yeah, it'll have to be hand painting! and yes LW radiosity modes are MUCH improved! Unless I do them, and my station kills the joy :D
    you're correct there is a setting for expanding the edges, but it's really ****e :p, it's the only bad thing about the new baker, the old baker actually could expand the edges quite well

but it's an easy fix, I can expand the edges myself in photoshop in a couple of minutes without having to do any hand painting, I've already done it with the interior lighting map, the errors you see in the video are because I haven't yet done it with the exterior lighting map