Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

1131415161719»

• BrandenbergBrandenberg2065 CaliforniaPosts: 2,206Member
    It particularly has my attention because of the ambient occlusion? Or am I wrong that you did that?
  • backsteptbackstept2344 Posts: 969Member
    It particularly has my attention because of the ambient occlusion? Or am I wrong that you did that?

It's a HDRI from Polyhaven, specifically this one.
    MadKoiFish
    HDRI? It's escaping me.
    High Dynamic Range Image - most commonly used in 3d apps to provide environment and lighting. I don't have any lights in the scene, it's all baked into the HDRI
    Brandenberg
  • PheylanPheylan534 Posts: 99Member
    Nice start! I googled the source images for this and its a really cool, rugged design....but then I'm kinda partial to flying armored vehicles. =)

backstept wrote: »
    High Dynamic Range Image - most commonly used in 3d apps to provide environment and lighting. I don't have any lights in the scene, it's all baked into the HDRI

So you are saying you used the image in the link as your backdrop or is the download about settings. My initial question (ambient occlusion) is about render settings that make the gaps and grooves dark and dirty looking.
    backstept wrote: »

So you are saying you used the image in the link as your backdrop or is the download about settings. My initial question (ambient occlusion) is about render settings that make the gaps and grooves dark and dirty looking.
    Yes, the image is the backdrop.

Ah, OK. Yeah the shader on the hovertruck uses the ambient occlusion node for the crevices and an edge detection node setup for the edge wear on the corners.

Brandenberg
    zww1vy8mc1eb.png
    Rory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777
  • wibblewibble1300 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 583Member
    How do you manage that it looks like your models actually standing on the ground?
    wibble wrote: »
    How do you manage that it looks like your models actually standing on the ground?

Add a plane, scale it up so the shadows aren't cut off, then in object properties check the box next to shadow catcher.
    There are addons that make mapping the HDRI to a dome and ground plane easy, but I prefer just using a shadow catcher and finding a good camera angle.
    evil_genius_180
  • wibblewibble1300 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 583Member
    Okay cool, that's fairly simple. Thanks. Your models also seem to be on scale with the backdrop. Was that just luck or do you scale your models so that they fit the background? Scaling up or down the hdri so that it fits the model doesn't seem to work.