Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• BrandenbergBrandenberg2176 CaliforniaPosts: 2,300Member
    It particularly has my attention because of the ambient occlusion? Or am I wrong that you did that?
  • backsteptbackstept2403 Posts: 975Member
    It particularly has my attention because of the ambient occlusion? Or am I wrong that you did that?

It's a HDRI from Polyhaven, specifically this one.
    MadKoiFish
    HDRI? It's escaping me.
    High Dynamic Range Image - most commonly used in 3d apps to provide environment and lighting. I don't have any lights in the scene, it's all baked into the HDRI
    Brandenberg
  • PheylanPheylan541 Posts: 103Member
    Nice start! I googled the source images for this and its a really cool, rugged design....but then I'm kinda partial to flying armored vehicles. =)

backstept wrote: »
    High Dynamic Range Image - most commonly used in 3d apps to provide environment and lighting. I don't have any lights in the scene, it's all baked into the HDRI

So you are saying you used the image in the link as your backdrop or is the download about settings. My initial question (ambient occlusion) is about render settings that make the gaps and grooves dark and dirty looking.
    backstept wrote: »

So you are saying you used the image in the link as your backdrop or is the download about settings. My initial question (ambient occlusion) is about render settings that make the gaps and grooves dark and dirty looking.
    Yes, the image is the backdrop.

Ah, OK. Yeah the shader on the hovertruck uses the ambient occlusion node for the crevices and an edge detection node setup for the edge wear on the corners.

Brandenberg
    zww1vy8mc1eb.png
    Rory1707evil_genius_180Lizzy777wibblecaveat_imperatorBrandenberg
  • wibblewibble1374 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 613Member
    How do you manage that it looks like your models actually standing on the ground?
    wibble wrote: »
    How do you manage that it looks like your models actually standing on the ground?

Add a plane, scale it up so the shadows aren't cut off, then in object properties check the box next to shadow catcher.
    There are addons that make mapping the HDRI to a dome and ground plane easy, but I prefer just using a shadow catcher and finding a good camera angle.
    evil_genius_180wibble
  • wibblewibble1374 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 613Member
    Okay cool, that's fairly simple. Thanks. Your models also seem to be on scale with the backdrop. Was that just luck or do you scale your models so that they fit the background? Scaling up or down the hdri so that it fits the model doesn't seem to work.
    That's all in the camera angle. If I moved the camera back the background wouldn't change, but the object would seem to shrink
    wibble
    xioodvm7lriv.png
    ndfihufkniwg.png
    evil_genius_180MadKoiFishStarCruiserRory1707BrandenbergtrekkiLizzy777adjunct37betaRekkertStarshipand 4 others.
    Don't remember if I posted these.
    q73nfwt8xiah.png
    b4q5tpk61w0h.png
    evil_genius_180raztovMadKoiFishStarCruiserRory1707BrandenbergtrekkiLizzy777Starshipashleytingerand 3 others.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish10501 Posts: 5,420Member
    Really like the light dust grime on the Klingon man. Reminds me ofa model after it has been in a cabinet and dusted for years. Also replicates that light grime on soem of the old TMP model photos. Wish edge shaders didnt kill render times in max. (least I am guessing that is what was used for the effect.)

The late tmp look better fits that ships design so much more than the Picard livery. Also loving that gas/dust cloud.

backsteptevil_genius_180
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Really like the light dust grime on the Klingon man. Reminds me ofa model after it has been in a cabinet and dusted for years. Also replicates that light grime on soem of the old TMP model photos. Wish edge shaders didnt kill render times in max. (least I am guessing that is what was used for the effect.)

The late tmp look better fits that ships design so much more than the Picard livery. Also loving that gas/dust cloud.

Yeah the K'tinga shader uses a mix of AO and edge wear. Not sure if the reference I was looking at was from TMP, but it had the look of a light gray wash that I liked. It sets off the darker hull colors better than a dark wash.

And, yeah, Howie Day really did a superb job on his interpretation of the Shangri-la class.
    evil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804824 Posts: 11,339Member
    I was trying to think of something to say about how great the Klingon ship looks earlier, but I couldn't put it into words. Then MadKoiFish comes along later and really says it perfectly.
    For the glory of the Empire!
    e0pm7m2ysdea.png
    ak8o49ttth38.png
    7qngkyz8qtsf.png
    ulixo9m3ux9w.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserRekkertStarshipRory1707ashleytingerBrandenbergwibbleHilk_v001Lizzy777and 3 others.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann845 Posts: 1,400Member
    My eyes went as big as Gowron's seeing this.
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser390 Posts: 69Member
    edited August 9 #561
    Tried to post a Gowron image but....?
    Post edited by StarCruiser on
    Like I'm not going to post an image of my second favorite Klingon. :lol:

7t9gm3o5qdle.png

It's all about getting past that WEBP format that sites seem to be using now. :eyeroll:
    StarCruiserBrandenberg
  • LoopholeLoophole114 Posts: 74Member
    Those windows on the K'Tinga/D7 really add a lot to its looks. Are those there in the movies/shows?
    Standing among giants
    Loophole wrote: »
    Those windows on the K'Tinga/D7 really add a lot to its looks. Are those there in the movies/shows?

Here's a screencap from the Theatrical Cut Blu-Ray release to show what windows it had:

cj9gi5o4syik.jpg

So, yes and no. Backstept's version has more windows. He's also modified the neck some, and possibly some other parts too. It looks more like a K'T'Inga class variant, which is really cool.

TOS had windows, but there were even less and they weren't lit:

qlyl0x1yt9gr.jpg

backsteptcaveat_imperator
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser390 Posts: 69Member
    The TOS miniature was made of wood and molded resin parts (there were actually two miniatures, only one used on screen).

Only about 29 inches long as well so, no lighting.
    evil_genius_180backstept
    The TOS miniature was made of wood and molded resin parts (there were actually two miniatures, only one used on screen).

Only about 29 inches long as well so, no lighting.

Yeah, it was what they could afford. But, it did the job and looked great too. The K'T'Inga just shows what they could do with a much larger budget. After all, that model had to stand up to the scrutiny of audiences watching the movie on the big screen, and it was a success.
    LoopholeStarCruiserBrandenbergbackstept
    The neck is original, right? I love the Gowron eyes reference and picture post. Really made me smile.
    backstept
    edited August 10 #568
    Oops, forgot to say, I love the ship. This ship and others lately have made me really want to draw just engines.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    backstept
  • LoopholeLoophole114 Posts: 74Member
    edited August 10 #569
    Oh yeah, now I notice the neck alterations. Those wide portions of the neck are really great, they remind me of trapezius muscles, adding to the "muscular man" look Klingon ships were designed to look like.

Edit: Actually I believe the "muscle man" look was for the bird of prey, but still.
    Post edited by Loophole on
    backstept
    Standing among giants
  • Hilk_v001Hilk_v001139 Posts: 57Member
    that klingon ship is so cool its not even funny. looks better than resin even. great stuff !!
    backstept
    jjcny9rgk8m0.png

rojrenevil_genius_180LoopholeBrandenbergRory1707StarCruiserMadKoiFishtrekkiwibbleStarshipand 1 other.