Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    bloknayrb wrote: »
    This seems like an odd place to put RCS thrusters:
    isdc9fig9tw5.png
    But this looks awesome overall.

It's there on Howard Day's model, which I gather he consulted with Bill Krause on some of the details that were added.
  • bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    backstept wrote: »
    bloknayrb wrote: »
    This seems like an odd place to put RCS thrusters:
    isdc9fig9tw5.png
    But this looks awesome overall.

It's there on Howard Day's model, which I gather he consulted with Bill Krause on some of the details that were added.

Yeah, I figured you probably hadn't added it, its just a weird detail.
    Recent stuff. Been making a 67 Cougar, played around with a space station in Lunar orbit and making a variant executive shuttle.
    zxke4pho2ie1.png
    alheicnzm43a.png
    buw8rcc4b1js.png
    wj2bsotcofdq.png
    Rory1707wibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryStarCruisertrekkiRekkertLizzy777MadKoiFishsrspicerSeverusand 2 others.
    36zu1dgfaevb.png
    oq7j038nh95c.png
    Rory1707rojrenRekkertLizzy777ashleytingerStarCruiserMadKoiFishBolianAdmiralwibblesrspicerand 4 others.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Love what you're doing with that shuttle!
    backsteptBolianAdmiral
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Love what you're doing with that shuttle!

Thanks! I didn't have great references for the filming model so I decided to make it a variant. I'm working on the interior as well, but haven't made any renders or screen grabs yet. I'm thinking it's wide enough to have a pilot and navigator on the left and right, and a 'skipper' in the center. It could probably seat 60 people comfortably. I'm also debating whether to separate the rear passenger compartment and the forward cabin. The doors on each side would make the most sense as the dividing line with an airlock complex and hallway running the width.
    ashleytingerRory1707wibble
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    Lovely rendering of that shuttle, I can almost feel the warm glow of the engines from here!
  • anthscoanthsco349 Raleigh, NCPosts: 72Member
    That Galaxy class looks fabulous and that shuttlebay for HunterG's Constitution will be very welcome.

Can't wait to acquire both.
    sz2ov90cdnk6.png

Lizzy777lennier1StarCruiserMadKoiFishRory1707wibbleSCE2AuxSeverussrspicerBolianAdmiraland 1 other.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Excellent!
  • srspicersrspicer391 Posts: 335Member
    Liking the Exec. shuttle variant.
    For reference, here are images of my model kit I put out through Federation Models. I cannot access the images of the filming model I have right now, but my kit is an exact replication of the details/kit parts used.
    a1jexl2qnrrz.jpeg
    1rezb8mk6ukm.jpeg
    3xuztyobzijt.png
    backsteptLizzy777StarshipStarCruiserRory1707scifieric
    Been making one of my favorite cars. p1ascw3eoym8.png
    The tires and brakes are from Jane_cgi https://janecgi.gumroad.com/
    StarCruiserLizzy777ashleytingerRory1707scifieric
    kf8c39mh5m89.png
    za1t5bix3zk1.png
    StarCruiserRory1707ashleytingerwibbleCoolhandLizzy777scifieric
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    srspicer wrote: »
    Liking the Exec. shuttle variant.
    For reference, here are images of my model kit I put out through Federation Models.
    3xuztyobzijt.png

Lovely….I might have Raan nacelles with supports curving out and down from where that F-18 cutwater/ Leading Edge Root Extension (LERX) is at its widest.

srspicer
  • FenniusFennius163 Posts: 82Member
    Well these are all lovely - did I read right you're using procedurals for your hull panneling shaders?

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share some of the node setups? (He said very hopefully :D )
  • CoolhandCoolhand287 Mountain LairPosts: 1,296Member
    That C4 is stunning, maybe just needs a couple of tweaks in the door handle inset (softer edges?) and the panel line is just a little off/inconsistent but you probably already noticed it.

kmxxchppcfb8.jpg
    backstept
    Fennius wrote: »
    Well these are all lovely - did I read right you're using procedurals for your hull panneling shaders?

I don't suppose you'd be willing to share some of the node setups? (He said very hopefully :D )

I shared it somewhere back in the thread, but here's the link to my basic aztec shader
    wibble
    Working on a new ship.
    dasc8nx24fe3.png
    o74fffzk7tod.png
    2hv7luptcxkl.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerCptBenSiskoStarCruiserRory1707srspicerwibbleBolianAdmiralscifieric
  • CptBenSiskoCptBenSisko4 Posts: 12Member
    can already hear the music in my head. Looking good
    here's a new one
    bf6ek4wrr9g4.png
    StarCruisersrspicerLizzy777Rory1707raztovxiaorobearwibblescifieric
    Completely remade the hull, and started on the deflector.
    pl9cyl57tkh7.png
    62s9xyl4s8mq.png
    guubxefan406.png

ashleytingerRory1707raztovrojrenStarCruiserLizzy777wibbleWarp Propulsion LaboratoryMadKoiFishBolianAdmiraland 1 other.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looks really good.
    backstept
  • ExcaliborExcalibor4 Posts: 4Member
    The other day I opened the Defiant I had started a while ago . . . learned a bunch since then, and also tried out a new paneling method on the warhead. It involves applying all the modifiers in the stack, deleting half the mesh, and adding a mirror modifier again. Then in this order: Edge Split, Solidify, and Bevel. Cut panels with Knife tool, mark those edges sharp, and boom, non-destructive panels that can be easily re-done or changed.

Not currently very visible since I haven't worked on the materials yet.zpimx97awrmh.png

Sorry to bring this back from the past, but I have been trying this method and can't see a thing (the hull looks clean and smooth like baby skin). Could you elaborate on this method for paneling, please? It's a really tedious part that always introduces shading problems when don with bevel and extrude.

Thanks a bunch!
    Rory1707
    edited March 23 #445
    Excalibor wrote: »
    The other day I opened the Defiant I had started a while ago . . . learned a bunch since then, and also tried out a new paneling method on the warhead. It involves applying all the modifiers in the stack, deleting half the mesh, and adding a mirror modifier again. Then in this order: Edge Split, Solidify, and Bevel. Cut panels with Knife tool, mark those edges sharp, and boom, non-destructive panels that can be easily re-done or changed.

Not currently very visible since I haven't worked on the materials yet.zpimx97awrmh.png

Sorry to bring this back from the past, but I have been trying this method and can't see a thing (the hull looks clean and smooth like baby skin). Could you elaborate on this method for paneling, please? It's a really tedious part that always introduces shading problems when don with bevel and extrude.

Thanks a bunch!
    Simplest answer would be to check if you have clamp overlap checked under the geometry tab of the bevel modifier.

I would recommend going into your preferences and changing some interface colors, specifically for face orientation. Then in the viewport overlay drop down check the face orientation box. It'll show back faces in red and everything else in blue. I changed my color to 0 alpha so it's invisible, then I can easily see flipped normals in red. It also makes it easier to see overlapping bevel errors.

If you find you're getting a lot of bad overlaps you can go in and slide some verts around.
    Post edited by backstept on
    Excalibor
  • ExcaliborExcalibor4 Posts: 4Member
    Simplest answer would be to check if you have clamp overlap checked under the geometry tab of the bevel modifier.

I would recommend going into your preferences and changing some interface colors, specifically for face orientation. Then in the viewport overlay drop down check the face orientation box. It'll show back faces in red and everything else in blue. I changed my color to 0 alpha so it's invisible, then I can easily see flipped normals in red. It also makes it easier to see overlapping bevel errors.

If you find you're getting a lot of bad overlaps you can go in and slide some verts around.

OK, I managed to make it work, it's really fantastic! The problem is that I have to make this as soon as I can and apply all changes, because due to my 1:100 scale modelling, the solidify really mangles everything, and if I have the viewports already cut it's basically a big mess, and if I cut with all the operators in use, the geometry goes through the window (heh).

I might start modelling at 1:10 so I have more leeway with these operations. Thanks for your help and for taking the time to answer. Keep up the fantastic work, you are an example to follow and an inspiration!
    backstept
    edited March 28 #447
    No problem! Glad to help!
    Biggest thing I've learned in the years I've been doing 3D modeling is that there's no single correct way to model something, but usually there's one best way to do what you need, and it's often different for everyone.
    Post edited by backstept on
    Excalibor
    Rebuilding the refit from scratch!

1i0d1y302oz8.png
    k8ope0uih45s.png
    n7atevi24edd.png
    ashleytingerSeverusStarCruiserwibbleRory1707scifiericLizzy777wolfmanExcalibor
    j0iblfuqylvn.png
    ashleytingerSeverusraztovStarCruiserwibbleRory1707wolfmanscifiericLizzy777CptBenSiskoand 1 other.
    Back to working on my second try at the Shangri-La class, this time as the Titan.
    I think all that's left is the windows.

0p1odxlv9iue.png
    5o0rgs5wc4t2.png
    u6m6ta5rh0q9.png
    ashleytingerLizzy777Rory1707StarCruiserwibbletrekkipubliusrExcalibor
    Been fooling around with one of my favorite ship types, the Vaygr fighters.
    I'm going to make a modular set that can have interchangeable modules to make the Interceptor, Lance, and Bomber variants.

1a0lo562vcaw.png

okaurxg2tddu.png
    StarCruiserLizzy777