Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks great. It's very clean and no doubt so much easier than setting up all of those cutter objects. Thanks for the look at the shader setup too.
    backsteptscifieric
    I have a question for you. Are the glow effects on your running lights a post processing effect or something you did in Blender? I do mine in post, but I'd love to know if it's possible to do that sort of thing in a Blender render. (it probably is)
    scifieric
  • backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    edited August 2023 #304
    I have a question for you. Are the glow effects on your running lights a post processing effect or something you did in Blender? I do mine in post, but I'd love to know if it's possible to do that sort of thing in a Blender render. (it probably is)

It's in blender's compositor. So I hit F12 and it renders and does the compositing after the render finishes.

I have a couple glare nodes, one for mid tones, and another for highlights like the running lights, and a blur, a lens distortion, a little bit of color grading, and film grain. I saved the whole setup into my default scene so I can start all my projects with it.

Here's a .blend with my post process setup. You can either set it as your default scene or append the post process group, which you can find in the NodeTree subfolder of the .blend file. Then you can add it to your compositor setup under Group in the add menu.
    Post edited by backstept on
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Thanks, I'll have to look into the compositor. I used to use something similar in Lightwave, before they took it out. :eyeroll:
    scifieric
    Also make sure you have compositor checked in the post process section in output settings
    evil_genius_180
    I figured 'backstept's Shipyards' needed a shipyard!
    4b0s1ch176mn.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorLizzy777Severusscifiericwibble
    ct8nfu425cnz.png
    StarCruiserSeverusevil_genius_180rojrenwibblecaveat_imperatorashleytingerpubliusrLizzy777scifieric
    That's just a beautiful image. Nice work on the dock.

One of the last projects I started in Lightwave before switching to Blender was a drydock. One of these days, I should start one in Blender.
    backsteptpubliusrscifieric
    working on a procedural hexagon shader for the Defiant's deflector.
    v05q5w2pwhyp.png
    ashleytingerlennier1scifiericLizzy777StarCruiserraztovevil_genius_180trekkiwibbleRekkertand 1 other.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    Love the execution of that deflector!
    scifiericevil_genius_180
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Wow that does look good...well done!
    scifiericevil_genius_180
    Gotta agree with the others, that does look fantastic. Not only do I like the hexagons, but I love the color variations. It makes the area feel more "alive," if that makes sense.
    backsteptlennier1scifieric
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    Gotta agree with the others, that does look fantastic. Not only do I like the hexagons, but I love the color variations. It makes the area feel more "alive," if that makes sense.

Yes, it really sells the idea that this is merely what we can see of a ton of hardware doing its job behind that grille.
    backsteptscifiericevil_genius_180
    edited August 2023 #315
    Thanks guys! I bumbled around and ended up using two different ways to make the hexagons. I botched together some YouTube tutorials, which I barely understand. The blue with the color variations is one hex pattern with a voronoi node and a color ramp for the blue variations mixed with the color output of the same voronoi for the other color variations. The other hexagon pattern setup is for the hex grid itself which I'm using as a mask and bump for a brass metallic color. Getting the two hex patterns to line up was a real pain!
    Then the blue group goes into a translucent shader, and I have a copy of the deflector faces behind it with an emission shader.

cithcbbhw5i2.png

scifiericraztovashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibblecaveat_imperatorRekkertJESand 1 other.
    6dfmu15vu9a3.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777ashleytingerwibblecaveat_imperatorRekkertscifiericJES
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    looking perfect yo
    scifieric
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    The Defiant is with no doubt one of my favourite designs of the Next Generation era, and you are doing her real justice. Love to see her grow in your hands. Also I would be interested in those YouTube tutorials you mentioned.
    scifieric
    wibble wrote: »
    The Defiant is with no doubt one of my favourite designs of the Next Generation era, and you are doing her real justice. Love to see her grow in your hands. Also I would be interested in those YouTube tutorials you mentioned.

I just searched "blender hexagon pattern procedural" and used the ones I could follow along with easiest.

cutting in more panels
    9xzclc7z7jf0.png
    he4krxgzqya6.png
    lennier1ashleytingerMadKoiFishevil_genius_180caveat_imperatorRekkertStarCruiserLizzy777trekkiscifiericand 3 others.
    Starting to look like a thing.
    wvoo26klhbya.png
    ypcc74gjmt2y.png
    SCE2Auxtrekkievil_genius_180ashleytingercaveat_imperatorwibbleStarCruiserLizzy777scifiericJES
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Defiant seems to be one of those designs that starship modellers have difficulty getting just right. Even the model in Picard S3 looked really off. Your one however looks absolutely perfect, just like it did back in the show!
    trekkiMustang13Camaro68
    just a little more to do!
    k16gy6fx6gti.png
    p8lns8hrc884.png
    88uumd0yuxno.png
    evil_genius_180Mustang13Camaro68wibbleStarCruiserMadKoiFishtrekkicaveat_imperatorLizzy777scifiericJES
    She looks fantastic.
    backsteptscifieric
    pretty close to done, I think!

wwzhtkpfyr6a.png
    lyhsxw4u4jst.png
    x379xx93nfj7.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180StarCruisertrekkiashleytingerWarp Propulsion LaboratoryPreVizscifiericcaveat_imperatorwibbleand 1 other.
    Awesome. Now you just need a DS9 mesh to go with it. :D
    trekki
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    A nice little ship =)
    scifiericLizzy777
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    I love this thread... Modeling and rendering are always superb...
    backsteptscifieric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    trekki wrote: »
    A nice little ship =)

WORF: Little?

scifieric
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    Rebuilding the Essex class. I wanted to start over with a better foundation for detailing with panels like I did on Defiant. This time I didn't use any booleans for the saucer shuttlebay and the secondary hull and the twin necks and pylons are all one mesh. I have a bevel and subd modifier on the secondary hull, but I think I'm going to remove the bevel modifier and add them manually because I'm running into problems deciding which modifier to put first. If I put the bevel first I get oddly round areas in the middle of flat spaces that doesn't make the shading look bad, but makes bad topology, or if subd is first the bevels have less room to work and I end up with a lot of overlap in tight areas and if I clamp it all the bevels get super tight.
    u1m8agy2pz8o.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777publiusrSCE2Auxcaveat_imperatorscifiericJES
    edited September 2023 #330
    I'm a dummy. I'm using HardOps to mark the edges which sets bevel weight, sharpness, and crease all at once. The creases were making those weird loops since the outer edges in the resulting bevel retain the crease info. Didn't really mess with shading, but it made the wireframe look kooky!

Rebuilt the nacelles and deflector doodads and used the previous shuttlebay interior.
    11ubkgi0uzjo.png
    ce1uh96gsq93.png
    53bpctr8jjyu.png
    xsc23vh9uyw9.png

scifiericStarCruiserWarp Propulsion Laboratoryashleytingerevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorJESsrspicer
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Lovely work!
    backstept