Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    eve7fvxcol1k.png
    f1ljgnvh0tgb.png
    u0zjx3m0ilt4.png
    vmryb7ls97ic.png
    zept1ke1are7.png

lennier1evil_genius_180StarCruisertrekkicaveat_imperatorscifiericLizzy777publiusrRory1707Mustang13Camaro68and 1 other.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I like the paneling. One of these days I need to dive further into procedurals.
    backsteptscifieric
    Got some more windows cut in, pretty much just the secondary hull left to do.
    2kw4vtsbpox6.png
    8j35c12ivz7o.png
    5ns99bud5psc.png
    jdwuckoazpkf.png
    ashleytingercaveat_imperatorevil_genius_180rojrenscifiericLizzy777StarCruisercool65publiusrRory1707and 2 others.
    I don't know why, but I always love self illumination shots.
    scifieric
    I like the paneling. One of these days I need to dive further into procedurals.

They're very powerful! I don't think I've scratched the surface of what can be done with them. Blender 4.0 seems like it'll be a great step forward with regards to the principled shader and conservation of energy. In 3.x and earlier the metallic, roughness, sheen, clearcoat etc don't completely accurately model how light interacts with the surface so there can be cases where a material reflects more light than it receives.
    scifiericevil_genius_180
    vqhoy5dg6rm0.png
    dmjij4cynxju.png
    by6hm0rtnrrc.png
    ashleytingerscifiericevil_genius_180StarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777JESpubliusrRory1707Mustang13Camaro68
    edited October 2023 #368
    Every time I go back and look at Howie's model I see tons of detail I didn't notice before. I think this is nearing good enough for my purposes, though.
    Still need to do room boxes and the shuttle bay. 4hocwm4oawkj.png
    60865jz9rwag.png
    Post edited by backstept on
    StarCruiserLizzy777trekkiashleytingerevil_genius_180publiusrcaveat_imperatorMustang13Camaro68srspicer
  • bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    Wow, this is really looking fantastic in a very short time. By the way, of you are interested in procedural materials, I can send you a link to the one I'm using for the ship I'm working on.
    bloknayrb wrote: »
    Wow, this is really looking fantastic in a very short time. By the way, of you are interested in procedural materials, I can send you a link to the one I'm using for the ship I'm working on.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a look
  • johnl2112johnl211248 Posts: 54Member
    I am not a particular fan of the enterprise-G but your take on it redeems it I think.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    johnl2112 wrote: »
    I am not a particular fan of the enterprise-G but your take on it redeems it I think.

This is a recreation of Bill Krause's original movie era ship that caught the producer's eye and got hooked into the project.
    He suggested a modern take on the design, but instead they just slapped the Stargazer-2 nacelles on it, changed a few details and pulled a ton of excuses out of their ass.
    backsteptStarCruiserpubliusrMustang13Camaro68
    lennier1 wrote: »

This is a recreation of Bill Krause's original movie era ship that caught the producer's eye and got hooked into the project.
    He suggested a modern take on the design, but instead they just slapped the Stargazer-2 nacelles on it, changed a few details and pulled a ton of excuses out of their ass.

Yeah, I definitely can't take credit for the design!
    publiusr
    edited October 2023 #374
    She's a beauty, @backstept. In line with your usual standard of excellence.

Yeah, it's the NX-01 all over again. Sure, Doug Drexler talked them into letting him redesign the ship to fit the era, but they literally just wanted to use the Akira-class as it was. They figured nobody would remember the Akira-class because many of the ST producers don't understand their audience and how important to them these things are. Though, I daresay the Titan/Ent-G was worse since, as you say, all they did was change the nacelles. I think they borked the scale too. :eyeroll:
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    lennier1

Yeah, it's the NX-01 all over again. Sure, Doug Drexler talked them into letting him redesign the ship to fit the era, but they literally just wanted to use the Akira-class as it was. They figured nobody would remember the Akira-class because many of the ST producers don't understand their audience and how important to them these things are. Though, I daresay the Titan/Ent-G was worse since, as you say, all they did was change the nacelles. I think they borked the scale too. :eyeroll:

There are several differences across the entire ship, but the silhouette is very close.
    evil_genius_180
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2017 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Yeah the Titan/Ent G ship looks WAY better as a TMP era ship as it was intended. Your model of it is fantastic
    backsteptevil_genius_180
    edited October 2023 #377
    backstept wrote: »
    There are several differences across the entire ship, but the silhouette is very close.

Now that I think about it, you're right. I actually became obsessed with the Titan-A/Enterprise-G when Picard season 3 was on and I did a pretty fair bit of studying the ship. Looking at the ship you're building, I can see several things that are different. For one thing, the secondary hull and neck are blockier on the Titan/Enterprise, and it's missing the weapons cut-outs in the front of the saucer. But, it's for sure the same overall design. I don't know if I'd really consider that a bad thing, though. Using a fan design in an official project goes to show how highly they regard the design. If they ever used anything I designed (yeah right) I'd be stoked that they thought that much of my work.
    backstept
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member

The differences between the Titan-A and the original are rather subtle, but they at last tried.
    Shame is, Bill had even started to help them into the right direction, with a sketch how a Picard-era take on it could look:
    aeflai6vuil1.png
    backsteptpubliusrcaveat_imperatorRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777
    Been working on making some gas giants with rings to use as HDRI backgrounds. qd2l08ch97wk.png
    caveat_imperatorRory1707ashleytingerStarCruiserraztovLizzy777MadKoiFish
  • Yeah, it's the NX-01 all over again. Sure, Doug Drexler talked them into letting him redesign the ship to fit the era, but they literally just wanted to use the Akira-class as it was. They figured nobody would remember the Akira-class because many of the ST producers don't understand their audience and how important to them these things are.

I know producers, despite being in charge, are not the brightest of bulbs most of the time, but stories like this astonish me on how rock stupid some can get. They probably still think using a ship designed for stories that take place centuries later totally unaltered is a great idea.
    edited October 2023 #381
    Yeah, it's the NX-01 all over again. Sure, Doug Drexler talked them into letting him redesign the ship to fit the era, but they literally just wanted to use the Akira-class as it was. They figured nobody would remember the Akira-class because many of the ST producers don't understand their audience and how important to them these things are.

I know producers, despite being in charge, are not the brightest of bulbs most of the time, but stories like this astonish me on how rock stupid some can get. They probably still think using a ship designed for stories that take place centuries later totally unaltered is a great idea.

John Eaves designed an era appropriate Klingon Battlecruiser for the Enterprise episode "Unexpected." The powers that were didn't like it and instead decided to use the K't'inga CGI model. That model of Klingon Battlecruiser was supposed to have been new in the 2270s, and they decided to put it in a story that took place in the 2150s. So, no, definitely not the brightest bulbs.
    StarCruiser
    3mwd80t7aeas.png
    cwz9kgj3q99r.png
    ashleytingerRory1707StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777Ostermondcaveat_imperatorMadKoiFishwibble
  • bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    Oh man, the D is my weakness...
    backstept
    eagglq42cyhe.png
    lwdc46son8q9.png
    ss5rny3s3xxe.png

Rory1707rojrenevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruisertrekkicaveat_imperatorraztovwibbleLizzy777
    edited October 2023 #385
    I'm loving the Galaxy so far. That ship is the most elegant and beautiful Star Trek ship ever designed, in my opinion, and you're doing a fantastic job on it.
    backsteptlennier1
    I'm loving the Galaxy so far. That ship is the most elegant and beautiful Star Trek ship ever designed, in my opinion, and you're doing a fantastic job on it.

I agree, and thanks! It's the ship I've made the most tries at and never finished. It's my favorite and I never feel like I have it just right.
    evil_genius_180lennier1
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2017 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    I think you've nailed the deflector on the Ent-D. That area is just nuts to model.
    evil_genius_180backstept
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Very nice. The Neo Constitution after all ?
    Nice.
    backstept
    trekki wrote: »
    Nice.

yeah why not? :)

0sgni9iurfnk.png
    Rory1707evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777publiusr
    backstept wrote: »
    trekki wrote: »
    Nice.

yeah why not? :)

It's a nice design. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it really grew on me while I was watching Picard Season 3.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    John Eaves designed an era appropriate Klingon Battlecruiser for the Enterprise episode "Unexpected." The powers that were didn't like it and instead decided to use the K't'inga CGI model. That model of Klingon Battlecruiser was supposed to have been new in the 2270s, and they decided to put it in a story that took place in the 2150s. So, no, definitely not the brightest bulbs.

Watch the clip of the NX-01 returning to Earth at the end of the Xindi arc and you can see a Steamrunner. I spotted it earlier today.

@Backstept, your Galaxy is looking awesome.
    evil_genius_180