Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3Dbackstept's Shipyards - Various WIPs

• backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    gae48sj4zhkr.png
    d2qx93k7xpdn.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180ashleytingerscifiericwibbleLizzy777caveat_imperatorMustang13Camaro68RekkertJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Nice! I love the Danube class.
    scifieric
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    If you hop on the SFM discord i can give you a bunch of studio model reference images for the runabout.
    backsteptscifieric
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    I have some, but if you've got some that I don't, then I'd be glad to see them!

made a procedural texture for the Galaxy. The Galaxy class saucer, if you create it by extruding a circle to fit the oval shape in side and front ortho views, the mesh doesn't line up with the apparent grid lines. So until I get around to making one that does, here's an oval plane with the verts pushed around to match the grid lines and then shrinkwrapped to fit my previously created saucer.

The texture is a voronoi passed through a color ramp with hull colors sampled from Lewis Niven's Galaxy. I had to mess with the UVs a bit. I deleted all but a quarter of the oval shape and mirrored it in x and y, and with the resulting 12 radial quad strips I arranged them in a rectangular grid using the addon UVSquares and ripped each strip and with grid snap on I arranged them in UV space. I scaled every other strip by -1 in the X axis to get the alternating mirrored shapes, and overlapped strips 2&3 4&5 and so on except 1 and 12 which get mirrored by the modifier.
    It's not accurate to the pattern on the filming model, but I like how it looks, and I'm lazy so I found a way that didn't require me to source the aztec patterns and use image textures.

n0iwoeaguhfp.png
    iae8itojbnoy.png
    ashleytingerwibblescifiericevil_genius_180Lizzy777StarCruisercaveat_imperatorRekkertJES
    edited September 2023 #336
    Looks good. It looks close enough to what was on the studio models. Besides, there were multiple models and the 6' model got two vastly different paint jobs, as it had to be done in higher detail for Generations. So, you can always say you just blended different references. ;)

Your dedication to not doing texture maps always impresses me. :lol: Some of the workarounds you come up with are pure genius, but I know some of them also have to be at least as much work as making textures.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    scifieric
    Your dedication to not doing texture maps always impresses me. :lol: Some of the workarounds you come up with are pure genius, but I know some of them also have to be at least as much work as making textures.
    I like a challenge. Making textures is a perfectly valid method, but with my ADHD if my hobbies verge into tedium I switch gears to something else. Just look at the subject matter in my thread, I have lots of things in working on a piece at a time 🤣

I thrive on a problem to solve.
    scifieric
    mxjbyv90721b.png
    9le1rmb4v9vn.png
    scifiericevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777Rekkertashleytingerwibblecaveat_imperator
  • vfxartvfxart1246 PNWPosts: 267Member
    y5uvjksh9q6r.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777backsteptseanrscifieric
    It's dumb, but you know how the Danube Class is supposed to have a modular capability for the rear hull section?
    Well . . . I mean they could have the smallest shuttlebay in the fleet if they really wanted.
    tbu1nx73twwt.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777RekkertwibbleseanrscifiericpubliusrJESBolianAdmiral
    The Defiant is gorgeous. I love that metallic hull material.

And, yeah, you technically could put shuttles back there. But should you....
    scifieric
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Would make for a good dropship.
    scifieric
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,327Member
    Shuttle delivery service. :p
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Shuttle shuttle 😂
    evil_genius_180scifieric
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    backstept wrote: »
    MadKoiFish wrote: »

Shuttle shuttle 😂

A shuttle shuttle shuttling shuttles.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2018 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Shuttle-ception!
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777scifieric
    Did a little bit on the Shangri-La. Secondary hull was giving me some trouble, so I'm trying out a Constitution style hull. I've messed with it a bit to have a deeper belly and undercut than the Constitution.
    1vwgpzkaostf.png
    mxifedkse8rt.png
    3pt8ohi0ao3i.png
    lennier1rojrenevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorscifiericJES
    9gfx4ltismqi.png
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserLizzy777caveat_imperatorscifiericJES
    2qnwldwf89ev.png
    p06pdvdr14v6.png
    y1wcd15lo31n.png
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777caveat_imperatorashleytingerwibblescifiericpubliusrJES
    Redid the secondary hull more in line with the original Shangri-la but with a more excelsior flavor, and working on the hull shader a bit.
    ndjpf2tdetkt.png
    evil_genius_180RekkertashleytingerscifiericStarCruisertrekkicaveat_imperatorLizzy777JESsrspicerand 1 other.
    I think that secondary hull works better than the one you had before, and I love the Excelsior style deflector inset.
    scifieric
    I think that secondary hull works better than the one you had before, and I love the Excelsior style deflector inset.

Thanks! The Shangri-la has that inset as well but I had trouble with recreating AdmiralBuck's original design. Howie's rendition of it is superb and even with his crystal clear renders I just can't seem to see into the images well enough to understand the shapes and replicate them. Do you guys ever see things in the world and imagine what the base wireframe would be?
    ashleytingerscifiericevil_genius_180
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Do you guys ever see things in the world and imagine what the base wireframe would be?
    I thought that's what everyone does! I guess not ...
    evil_genius_180
    scifieric wrote: »
    Do you guys ever see things in the world and imagine what the base wireframe would be?
    I thought that's what everyone does! I guess not ...

Yeah, I thought so too. Weird that they don't.
    scifieric
    zadmmum05avv.png
    1i8fazvd7rz1.png
    ashleytingerStarCruisertrekkievil_genius_180scifiericcaveat_imperatorLizzy777publiusrwibblesrspicer
  • bloknayrbbloknayrb138 Posts: 44Member
    I like a challenge. Making textures is a perfectly valid method, but with my ADHD if my hobbies verge into tedium I switch gears to something else. Just look at the subject matter in my thread, I have lots of things in working on a piece at a time 🤣

I thrive on a problem to solve.

Oh god I feel this so hard.
    backsteptscifieric
    quick eevee render with another try at the secondary hull. I think I'm closer to the final shape. I wasn't going to let it beat me!
    g4biawwrud0i.png
    scifiericStarCruisercaveat_imperatorLizzy777evil_genius_180JES
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    WE KNEW you would get it done!
    8th time's the charm!
    Actually I didn't count, but finally I think I got the shape right.
    5dafc3m5abhg.png
    Mustang13Camaro68Lizzy777StarCruiserpubliusrevil_genius_180ashleytingerscifiericwibbleJESsrspicer
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    It's dumb, but you know how the Danube Class is supposed to have a modular capability for the rear hull section?
    Well . . . I mean they could have the smallest shuttlebay in the fleet if they really wanted.
    tbu1nx73twwt.png

You could put a work bee in the back of a shuttle ;)

I liked your Connie type Secondary hull---but that needs a full saucer and taller nacelles to get that swan look--a future project I hope.
    StarCruiserscifieric
    8th time's the charm!
    Actually I didn't count, but finally I think I got the shape right.
    5dafc3m5abhg.png

I definitely like that one the best. I feel you on the struggle to get a shape just right. It can be a headache when you try version after version. But, you persevered and the results speak for themselves.
    backsteptStarCruiserscifiericCptBenSisko