Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

1111112113114115117»

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    Recut so it is more even and closer to the hull. Also added the proper super dark blue to the insides too. Also started ripping out sub panels to align the uvw to the panels etc. Can very well uvw them spherical here cause of the unique profile.

emissary-1022.jpg
    StarCruiserBillynom8BolianAdmiralLizzy777Mustang13Camaro68SchmidtFGwibbleJayru
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Too tempting to have a kickback modeling session so out comes this old model for some panels on the strut things.

kling-pretos-vray-067.jpg

kling-pretos-vray-068.jpg
    wibbleStarCruiserSchmidtFGWarp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777BolianAdmiralrojrenJayruRory1707
  • SchmidtFGSchmidtFG209 Posts: 203Member
    Top notch model and render.
    Do you use AO layout here?
    Do you mean the gathered dirt in the shader? I think the hull is using the Dirt shader which is like the old mental ray AO shader. All the rest is just a dated version of Vray Next v3.1
    SchmidtFG
    Yeah, I meant that. So it's not MR it's Vray.
    Skipped many years and just returned into making meshes again and of course I forgot how to use AO effect with MR.
    After watching an ao vid I accidentally recalled the special effect tab, but can't make renders with this result of yours yet.
    Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Beautiful mesh and light setting.
    Yeah Nvidia bought Mental Ray screwed it up really badly then abandoned it so I had to move to Vray as I didnt like the limitations in Arnold and refused to go back to scanline. I think I have been transitioning for the last 5 or so years now. A lot of my models are in the MR limbo and needing annoying conversions to vray.

OH the AO Even in MR I used a shader in the material itself so you can add the AO effect to any slot. Be it gloss diffuse reflection etc (or whatever MR called those slots) in MR there is a shader in the mental Ray shader sets called AO or something similar. (in vray it is called Dirt.

Here is a example of the old mat editor,

vray-dirt-mr-ao.png

In this example it is in the diffuse slot with a composite shader (it is basically max layers in photoshit) SO I do overlay multiply or other layer settings to allow the lower diffuse map to show through the unAOed parts. (stuff in cracks) In my example I have 2 layers of the dirt shader so it has a color shift from the base green to rust then to black.

All it really is is a corner finder, you can even invert it so it will shade outside corners and you can add maps to do stuff like worn corners with mix maps etc.

Oh the one for MR might not be in the MR list but in general "Ambient/Reflective Occlusion (base)" or some such. I do remember there being 2 in my old MR set up one has the settings that are almost exactly like the Vray menu above the other is less complex.

SchmidtFG
    edited May 2 #3488
    Cheers MadKoiFish:)
    The composite with a&d doesn't work for me in MR for some reason, however since I followed your tutorials back to ugh... 2014, your diffuse mix material did the trick. https://madkoifish.wordpress.com/2019/07/21/collected-tut-like-images/
    Didn't even need to use special effects/ao at a&d (since it's a mess), just added an ao layout to the diffuse bracket then the hull diffuse setup to the bright bracket at ao tab.
    It's a raw render ofc but the ao dirt can be seen even at this low setting. The only thing I'm getting sick of is the default viewport now.

ko3h1hbiy5qh.jpg

Post edited by SchmidtFG on
    StarshipStarCruiserJayru
    odd, maybe a bug in max or something? Been using composite for a while but could be version issues as the composite I think is a max shader and it might have been different on older versions. Has been a while since I was on MR.
    Jayru