Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DSeaQuest DSV 3D Internal Deck Layout

• Wbnemo1Wbnemo1341 Posts: 7Member
    Maquette
    I added the vinyl details for placement once scanned
    qlzhcoyulxer.jpg
    Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    [quote=qlzhcoyulxer.jpg
    [/quote]

Oh that's so cool!
    My research suggests James Lima designed the seaQuest on paper, but who sculpted this?
    I've read this was 3d scanned for the show, but I assume they remodeled over it. The show's CGI has too many sharp edges to be scan data, not to mention how heavy a 3d scan would be for their computers back then.
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
  • Wbnemo1Wbnemo1341 Posts: 7Member
    A ton of work went into cleaning up the scan to create the replica
    Mustang13Camaro68
    Wbnemo1 wrote: »
    A ton of work went into cleaning up the scan to create the replica

I bet. I've done scan cleanup for other projects.
    edited May 2023 #96
    More fitting sets into the hull. Trying to fit the Sea Deck inside the hull. My thought was to place it high in the ship so Darwin's pool is at the top of the water contained in the Darwin Tunnels. AND also on a deck with MagLev access. But its a very tall set that just barely fits between the MagLev tunnels - and then I have to have hallways outside the MagLevs AND can't have any hallways crossing the MagLev tunnels of course.
    I think Bridger was high when he designed seaQuest...

6bxe3dtbmk9m.jpg

Post edited by Mustang13Camaro68 on
    Soul ScreamLizzy777srspicerpubliusr
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Huh.... Strange... I always pictured it to be way bigger... How much perception can fool ya....
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Fantastic work! Love the seaQuest.
  • SwiftstrykeSwiftstryke3 Posts: 2Member
    Messed with the comp and materials some more. Added a scan of a fish tank sunken ship to give some more story to the scene.
    0ujwjzxb5cpf.jpg

This. Is. PERFECTION!!
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    Wow!
    Mustang13Camaro68

So, with some time on my hands, I've made an animated preview of the seaQuest being constructed as the camera moves through it.

Everything about this is VERY Work-In-Progress, but I wanted to get the idea out of my head to see if it could work visually. I think the ultimate look should be a time lapse construction.

I'm ok with the camera move, but I was thinking of having it go up and around the bridge as the bridge assembles and then back outside to end in the same way. The bridge is the most seen place in the show, I probably should show it off more.

Feedback is welcome. What do you think could make this cool? Is something not reading well to you? Is the camera moving too fast or slow?
    ashleytingerStarCruiserlennier1caveat_imperatorLizzy777Bridgersrspicer
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    The outer skin feels like it's being pulled on like a sock, but the internals are great. Not sure what to recommend for that as building out plating to apply might take even longer
    The outer skin feels like it's being pulled on like a sock, but the internals are great. Not sure what to recommend for that as building out plating to apply might take even longer

Skin looks like a sock LOL. Yeah, I'm just animating a slice plane right now to "grow" the skin. Lemme see if I can texturize the border somehow & give a better impression of organic growth. Thanks for the comment.
  • trekkitrekki939 Posts: 1,394Member
    I cannot see the animation :'(
    trekki wrote: »
    I cannot see the animation :'(

Sorry I didn't fix this sooner, I was traveling.
    I think its fixed now - "Embedding on other websites" was unchecked on YouTube.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    BTW, what you've described as the "sensor pod" is the Emergency UEO Eband satellite systems. It was used at the end of season 1 to coordinate a global crisis response through encrypted comms. I dont think it's sensors unless you're redesigning the sub.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    count23 wrote: »
    BTW, what you've described as the "sensor pod" is the Emergency UEO Eband satellite systems. It was used at the end of season 1 to coordinate a global crisis response through encrypted comms. I dont think it's sensors unless you're redesigning the sub.

Nah, not trying to redesign the sub. I probably couldn't remember what they called it. Good catch.
  • dcomprimedcomprime195 Posts: 123Member
    I always loved this show...I hated when they change it towards to the end of a war Show and a new captain...that's when they killed the series....so saddddd...Great job on the 3D work.
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    By the way, I got this one from an episode, a deck-count. Looks like it got a total of 7 decks.
    tlv7gndvvtru.png
    lennier1StarCruiser
    Nice! I think I ended up with 7 decks on my Master Systems display too.
    Sometimes I've not shown all the decks in my WIP 3d cutaways, so it might seem like those don't have enough decks.
  • Admiral156Admiral156180 Posts: 76Member
    Awesome work, quite an undertaking to do a model with full interiors. I'm going to have to sit down and watch the show sometime.
    Mustang13Camaro68
    Admiral156 wrote: »
    Awesome work, quite an undertaking to do a model with full interiors. I'm going to have to sit down and watch the show sometime.

Yeah, I originally started this as a 3d aid to make a more accurate cutaway/deck plans like Aresius posted above. And trying to reconcile:
    1.) What's shown in the show,
    2.) What's said in the show &
    3.) Reality/Physics
    has been quite the puzzle. But that's probably what keeps me interested.

Enjoy the show for what it is. I'll let you make your own opinions, but each season is kind of a reboot. Accept that going in, and you'll probably like it more.
    Aresius
  • BridgerBridger341 Posts: 22Member
    Fantastic job on the Seaquest. It might be too late but here is an additional reference of the boat.

hsmgvzG.png
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • Starsailor78Starsailor781 Posts: 2Member
    Awe, that's a beautiful animation! Have you scaled the seaQuest up a bit to fit in the bridge along with the angled corridors behind it, or have you straightened these out? I found it difficult to place them into the ship's body plus the maglev tubes and such in an angle (as on the set plans).
    Awe, that's a beautiful animation! Have you scaled the seaQuest up a bit to fit in the bridge along with the angled corridors behind it, or have you straightened these out? I found it difficult to place them into the ship's body plus the maglev tubes and such in an angle (as on the set plans).

I see you've encountered these problems too. Fitting the corridors and maglev tunnels around the bridge is something I'm still trying to work out. I think moving the bridge forward was my latest solution.
    lyy2f07wk2zz.jpg
    StarCruiserLizzy777
  • RichipediaRichipedia1 Posts: 6Member
    I subbed to this forum just so I could follow this thread. This is astonishing work.
    Richipedia wrote: »
    I subbed to this forum just so I could follow this thread. This is astonishing work.

Thank you. I've been busy either freelancing or trying to nail down a permanent job, so I've been neglecting this a lot. I'm working on an update now.
    Richipedia
  • RichipediaRichipedia1 Posts: 6Member
    Thank you. I've been busy either freelancing or trying to nail down a permanent job, so I've been neglecting this a lot. I'm working on an update now.

Best of luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with next 🙂
    A small update. Playing around with 3DS Max's viewport draw modes. Still trying to fit stuff inside the hull while also trying to maintain "plausibility". Also trying to move stuff into Unreal Engine for faster rendering and to force myself to learn more Unreal Engine. I would kill to have just Unreal Engine's rendering inside of 3DS Max so I didn't have to deal with Unreal Engine itself :(
    x8ekjm4dsbqv.jpg
    Lizzy777StarCruiserRichipediaStarshipcaveat_imperatorsrspicer
    Big animation update.

I've been transitioning this project to Unreal Engine so render times don't kill me.

Interior = Sucks. Models and placement and materials all suck. Its ALSO not assembling as the camera flies through since I haven't figured out the best way to do all that yet, and I'm still modeling the interior, fitting things together, tearing my hair out, etc...

Exterior = OK.

RichipediaStarCruiserLizzy777
    Test Comment
    Richipedia