Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Rodger Young (Starship Troopers stuff)

• japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    Did the big tower mostly today, and fleshed out the large scaffolding thing also, will add rivets tomorrow i suppose..

rodger-young015.jpg
    rodger-young016.jpg
    Lizzy777TinukedayaFreakBrandenbergJES
    Made a random panel map in Substance Designer...testing using displacement on some of the large interior areas. Definately not a final loook, but glad the test worked, especially on 1 subobject material vs another.

rodger-young025.jpg

rodger-young024.jpg

rodger-young023.jpg

rodger-young022.jpg

Lizzy777McCBigd524FreakBrandenbergsrspicerJES
    edited September 2020 #34
    Tried to plow through one of the areas that's really hard to see in my references, finally found Max's newish super extrude feature where you can shift click extrude on geo and even when you extrude back into the geo it rebuilds it for you so you don't get weird coincident faces, really sped up extruding out the thin greebled areas! Turned off displacement for now...

rodger-young027.jpg
    rodger-young029.jpg
    rodger-young028.jpg
    This one was too colorful to pass up:
    rodger-young030.jpg
    rodger-young031.jpg

Edit: added more renders

Post edited by japetus on
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergRekkertMcCLizzy777srspicerFreakJES
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Wow, that's really looking great.
  • richiewilchrichiewilch57 Posts: 41Member
    This is awesome. Haven't seen the movie in a long time, so this is really cool to see.
    Render test using Vray Triplanar mapping, so I don't have to unwrap most things, the triplanar mapping does the trick instead also added more greebles on and on but don't want to bore with renders of those...also added some lights like the closeups of the dropship area which I think start to give it a great scale...

rodger-young032.jpg
    rodger-young033.jpg

srspicerFreakLizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralBrandenbergJES
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Triplanar mapping the panels is not working well because the paneling does not respect the modeled plating and it is limited to a 90° box projection. I use triplanar only for grime.
    edited September 2020 #39
    nightfever wrote: »
    Triplanar mapping the panels is not working well because the paneling does not respect the modeled plating and it is limited to a 90° box projection. I use triplanar only for grime.

Yeah there are some areas that will have to unwrap like the large angled beam, but I think for the objects at 90 degrees it could work. I'm sure for at least the front of the ship I will hand paint the panels to be more exact like the model
    trudging through greeble land! This top area really doesn't have much reference besides the side of the tower...glad to be getting through it, windows are still very rough

rodger-young034.jpg
    Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralBrandenbergJES
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I always appreciate the physical models even more with you guys going in and building them in 3D. So so good.

I keep hearing the main theme in my head every time I visit this thread. ;)
    BolianAdmiral
    Making more greebles...

rodger-young036.jpg
    rodger-young037.jpg
    rodger-young038.jpg

Lizzy777Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBolianAdmiralsrspicerMcCBrandenbergJES
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Nice Roger Young.

Don't forget the Millennium Falcon hiding away behind the primary dorsal tower unit.
    japetus
    edited October 2020 #44
    I think that is on the other tower that gets destroyed by the asteroid but I will double check! I try to include the 4-5 R2D2s though 😉
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 156Member
    I'm watching this build with interest and you're doing a great job. This is one of my favorite scifi ships and was on my modeling bucket list as well. Your attention to greeble detail is inspiring.
    I've collected TONS of reference over the years. If you're short on ref for an area, let me know.
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
    I'm watching this build with interest and you're doing a great job. This is one of my favorite scifi ships and was on my modeling bucket list as well. Your attention to greeble detail is inspiring.
    I've collected TONS of reference over the years. If you're short on ref for an area, let me know.
    Thanks man! It is hard to come by....especially the 18 foot model. I'd take some if you're offering...especially the smaller towers and the rear..
    Would you like to know more? Link expires in 30 days.
    http://ge.tt/9zUgly73
    The green one is an 18 footer, the photos were take somewhere on the Sony lot, so I think it would be the Thunderstone model, not the Boss Film one. I don't think that's the true color, but who knows.
    There's 2 fonts in there that are close to what's used on the ships - Gnaw Hard and Saved By Zero.
    The gray/purple damaged one is a 9 footer from the Prop Store auction. There's various other stuff too, like the Chronicle Collectibles model, an edit of all the spaceship scenes.
    Enjoy, and shoot the nerve stem to put the bug down for good!
    edited October 2020 #48

Awesome! You're a hero, thanks so much!
    Here's an image dump...been adding tons of greebles and trying to finish up the engines and towers...very close although I keep finding sides I forgot to do... :s Thanks for the ref Mustang!! I've been plowing on those areas cuz that ref is so good! Renders progress from top to bottom:

rodger-young041.jpgrodger-young042.jpg
    rodger-young043.jpg
    rodger-young044.jpg
    rodger-young045.jpg
    rodger-young046.jpg
    rodger-young047.jpg
    rodger-young048.jpg

BolianAdmiralLizzy777McCBrandenbergWarp Propulsion LaboratoryMustang13Camaro68FreaksrspicerJES
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Man what a big project. You're doing great.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Inspiring.
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
    Some more greebles down...
    9bcc732jw2pd.jpg
    uuu5y33uj1cl.jpg
    rojrenLizzy777BrandenbergMcCashleytingersrspicerJES
    Finished up the side of the nose....one of the larger chunks of greebles on the ship :s Hoping to just copy and mirror chunks around for the other side...c59ludwr3805.jpg

Lizzy777FreakMcCWarp Propulsion LaboratorysrspicerJES
    Some more areas greebleized...broke down and used a greeble plugin on 1 or 2 places cuz the model is just random boxes there...beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

rodger-young059.jpg
    rodger-young060.jpg
    rodger-young061.jpg
    rodger-young062.jpg
    rodger-young063.jpg

Lizzy777FreakMcCWarp Propulsion LaboratorywolfmanBigd524srspicerJES
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Light at the end of the tunnel.. well as long as its not New Jersey.. :#

Looking excellent! Don't even want to ask the poly count ...
    Light at the end of the tunnel.. well as long as its not New Jersey.. :#

Looking excellent! Don't even want to ask the poly count ...

1.5 million and counting...but objects...probably like 8000 at this point. Will definitely be doing some attaching...
    Been posting in the discord channel a lot, but I've completed some more areas....getting closer and closer uu6dxu3eetwt.jpg
    kwv74eh85hs9.jpg
    u4hfel0bh1hi.jpg
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryLizzy777rojrenMcCFreakBigd524xiaorobearsrspicerJES
    The detail above the drop ship doors is fantastic. Excellent that you're also putting in all the R2D2s.
    Thanks! Hoping to break 2 million polys tomorrow 🤣
    Bigd524
  • StarshipStarship464 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Wonderfull work all around Mike!
    japetus
    I so very much want to see this 3D printed. But I doubt you're modeling with that in mind. And all those greebles might just kill a 3d printer.