Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DThe Rodger Young (Starship Troopers stuff)

japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
edited November 2021 in Work in Progress #1
Maybe I've finally gone insane from quarantine lifestyle...but now I've decided to try the big one (to me). One of the ships that really got me excited about 3D at the time, even though it's mostly a gargantuan model...The Rodger Young from Starship Troopers! I found a lot of great photos of the 9 and 18 foot models posted by some of the model makers, otherwise it's rather spare reference for the greebly bits. Also found a pretty close orthographic renders by someone, although there are noticeable differences. We'll see how far I get on this one before I get worn out! Should be a fun ride....dunno how much people know about the model, but it is INSANELY detailed. The Rodger Young hero model was 18 feet long so the say. Anyway, here's my blockout so far...at least the general body shape is pretty straightforward.

76lm7hq91tub.jpg

6sfocgtyj27f.jpg

Post edited by japetus on
scifiericLizzy777FreakBolianAdmiralBrandenbergevil_genius_180Vader1985JES

• scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very cool! I've not seen anyone turn this one out. I'm very interested.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    I have not seen this film in years.
    I hope Arrow Video or one of the other great Physical Media distributors but this out in 4K.

Look like your off to a great start.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    YESSSS... so happy to see this ship getting some love!
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    Good start, I've been researching the Rodger young and other SST models, the orthographics that may have confused you is because there was 3 variants of that ship in the movie. That may help you track down reliable reference material.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    i mean i enjoy looking at other peoples wips... please don't be another one of those guys who knocks out 12 awesome models while i'm still on the one i started 7 years ago =)
    japetus
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    EEEE!! Loved the design of the Roger Young! So looking forward to this!
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    For fun, this was a near attempt back in 2003 in lightwave. I think most of it came from a tutorial that was big back in the day. jao7x3f35w2t.jpg
    In the combo pic you can see other parts of the Rodger Young in other ships. Unfortunately I think these two pics are all I have of those designs.
    0hcaoo3r15vq.jpg
    JES
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    edited September 2020 #9
    markmassey wrote: »
    i mean i enjoy looking at other peoples wips... please don't be another one of those guys who knocks out 12 awesome models while i'm still on the one i started 7 years ago =)
    Our japetus is a prolific one - that's for darn sure. :+1:
    So far, something about yours looks better than the real model.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    japetus
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is outstanding. I love that movie. The book is great too, but it has a totally different vibe to it. I'm glad to see you doing the Rodger Young. I love the design and the original 18 foot model is glorious. I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.
    BolianAdmiral
    Did some more blocking of things, trying to get the main forms right for once instead of jsut flying through...so much damn stuff on this! Still need to get the top bridge and communications towers...
    rodger-young2.jpg
    evil_genius_180Warp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergBolianAdmiralashleytingerBigd524Lizzy777wolfmanEddieLJES
    It still looks sweet without the towers. I could see this being some corvette like variant.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,746Member
    The Auriga from Alien 4 looked a bit similar
    edited September 2020 #14
    publiusr wrote: »
    The Auriga from Alien 4 looked a bit similar

I also thought of doing The Betty from Alien 4.

Also I dunno who this Unusualsuspex guy is on deviant art, but I appreciate the last few models I've made he's already made orthos to get me started 😁 His work keeps popping up when I google for my projects lol. They aren't perfect but they get me going faster than looking at photos.
    BolianAdmiral
    edited September 2020 #15
    Hmmm...after making some towers I realized (if I had thought about the movie) that I have a choice to make now, to make the Rodger Young before it collides with the asteroid, or after. At some point, and I admit I haven't watched the whole movie in a while, after they plow into the asteroid, they get the huge tower repaired and it's a totally different tower on top during the Klendathu Drop. I guess I'll go with the Klendathu Drop one, it is a bit cooler three tower structure and sort of the big moment for the Rodger Young. Also interesting after looking at screenshots, all the different variations in the ships there are that you don't really notice.
    Got the towers roughed in, and finally figured out what was going on with the underslung cargo module underneath the dropship doors. Still have to figure out some more in the back and the rear body, that area is really weird and super greebly so I might just have to be content with close enough...

rodger-young3.jpg
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralashleytingerLizzy777wolfmanFreakEddieLBrandenbergJES
    This ship and the Omega-Class from B5 hold the tie for my favorite sci-fi ships of all time. Great job so far.
    publiusr
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1998 Central OhioPosts: 1,232Member
    I love this ship. Good choice with the rebuilt tower.
    edited September 2020 #19
    I felt pretty good about the shape of the front, and since i had lots of ref for it I decided to start putting in the panels and worked more on the cargo bay and large scaffolding (why is it there? Who knows), kinda working front to back on the nose...
    Edit:updated with MOAR panels!

rodger-young4.jpg
    evil_genius_180BolianAdmiralHoward DayLizzy777FreakBrandenbergJES
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is one of my favorite projects on this site right now. :)
    japetusBolianAdmiralscifieric
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    this is coming along nicely man....
    Worked on it off and on over the last week, lots of proportional fixes to the front and launch bay, it's surprisingly tricky. Tried to slog through modeling the panels in the front, the trick is obviously there are small differences in the scale models they made, so I'm trying to take the best from what I can see. Trying to get the major paneling modeled, then the rest will be texture work. You can toggle between this one and the last and see the big differences.

rodger-young5.jpg

BolianAdmiralLizzy777ashleytingerBigd524FreakEddieLWarp Propulsion LaboratoryBrandenbergJES
    Beautiful.
  • srspicersrspicer390 Posts: 335Member
    Looking good!
  • Bigd524Bigd524406 ScotlandPosts: 178Member
    Looking great! i have always wanted to do this ship too haha. But still a bit out of my skill range... i thinks.
    Bigd524 wrote: »
    Looking great! i have always wanted to do this ship too haha. But still a bit out of my skill range... i thinks.

It's one if those ships, like a lot of star wars ones, where you can make a decent version with not too much effort, but the closer you look the more detail there is! Its definately built out of blocky shapes, which gives it its monolithic look.
    Bigd524
  • TinukedayaTinukedaya182 Posts: 271Member
    This is cool... Makes me wanna watch the movie once again. It's one of my favorites.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
    Cruiser - SFS Suricata --- Freighter - SFS "Crate"
    Think I finally got the back of this beast figured out more of less. Some real weird stuff going on and very little reference. ! I can almost hear the model makers going "Crap! We gotta add more greebles back there!" Got the main shapes in place best I can do, and ready for the second greeble pass whenever I get there...

rodger-young6.jpg
    rodger-young7.jpg
    rodger-young8.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakBigd524Warp Propulsion LaboratoryMadKoiFishpubliusrBrandenbergJES
    Been making my way around the side a bit more, the rollbar area is a bit tricky to get the angles right lots of little shifting around of objects. Also started to put in the escape hatch doors that line the side. Got most of the guns done too except some top in the back..

rodger-young9.jpg
    rodger-young10.jpg
    Lizzy777ashleytingerBolianAdmiralsrspicerpubliusrBrandenbergFreakJES
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Wow. I also think this is my favorite project on this site right now.
    Starting to fill out the back more, finally making more sense in the rear section! And some wire frames...so far it's been remarkably low poly, but lots of small chamfers...
    rodger-young011.jpg
    rodger-young013.jpg
    rodger-young012.jpg
    rodger-young014.jpg
    Lizzy777FreakBrandenbergJES