Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    About Battle Bridge Mk II for the USS Galaxy, I've been brainstorming ideas.

1. I think Starscream's idea of raising the center area would work excellently. Again, it would get rid of the handrails. The Conn / Ops stations would be close to each other in the center, possibly angled a bit together a la first season TNG main bridge.
    2. Perhaps you could squeeze in a replicator terminal flanking the system status display aft of the command chair. Not sure what to do about weapons lockers.
    3. I'd get rid of the parameter stations on either side that are closer to the main viewer and replace them with isolinear trunk/equipment bays a la main bridge (again, since the bridge is upgraded too - it would have the panels be a bit more like ""Yesterday's Enterprise""/""Future Imperfect.""
    4. The other two parameter stations could be changed to stand-up ones (the Science and Engineering stations), which would also have a pair of standing stations with chairs similar to Battle Bridge Mk I opposite the parameter stations.
    5. Of course, you'd have to have an emergency hatch (like my other bridge requests)
    6. The lighting above the parameter stations, again, should be more along the lines with the lighting above the aft stations of the Chekov/Dobrovolsky bridges.
    7. Command chair same as Galaxy battle bridge Mk I (the season 2-7 main bridge chair with solid back), with Conn/Ops chairs like Season 2-7 chairs (elevated some). Same seats used on Chekov bridge to be used for Engineering / Science stations.
    8. Aft doors lead to regular turbolfit (portside) and emergency turbolift (starboard)
    9. Modern 24th Century Fire Extinguishers and weapons locker (might go well on a support pylon).
    10. LCARS displays like these (http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x01/the-best-of-both-worlds-part-two-hd-185.jpg) and (http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/season-4/4x01/thumb_the-best-of-both-worlds-part-two-hd-205.jpg) on parameter stations.
    11. Red indicator flasher over main viewer similar to clocks over TUC bridges. Prefer Excelsior style, perhaps with LCARS panels on both sides (similar to what you did with Constellation bridge, but both sides instead of one.
    12. Parameter padding and upholstery being aqua colored.
    13. And of course carpeting
    14. I was thinking that the ceiling should be like the Brittain/Zodiac style
  • RekkertRekkert4129 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,314Member
    You made quite a compelling image of that bridge on my head! There's something about the segmented straight consoles that I like quite a lot more for a battle bridge rather than the curved lines of the TMP era bridge.

Some more work on the Belknap. The idea I had for the top of the consoles didn't quite work out as I intended, so I'm switching it to a retractable circuitry access panel covered in fabric, similar in function to those found 80 years later on the bridge of the Defiant. Though of course the inside circuitry would be quite different.

As for the Master Situation graphic, I went with an Enterprise-C style (again, signaling that 'lost era' aspect of this bridge, it's clearly not the first bridge module the Belknap had). The other stations will keep the existing graphics, but for this one I wanted to kinda show the beginning of the MSD that would become so prevalent by the 24th century.

I've also changed the carpet color to a much deeper blue, I felt the bridge was looking quite desaturated.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1545039402
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    There's something about the segmented straight consoles that I like quite a lot more for a battle bridge rather than the curved lines of the TMP era bridge.

Agreed! In fact I'd had an idea some time ago for a ""generic Warship and Battle Bridge module"" based on a Defiant-ised version of those consoles, that could be plugged in to both newer dedicated warships, and for the larger classes' Secondary Hulls (eg Galaxy). I'll post it to 2D wips later if anyone's interested.
    Some more work on the Belknap. The idea I had for the top of the consoles didn't quite work out as I intended, so I'm switching it to a retractable circuitry access panel covered in fabric, similar in function to those found 80 years later on the bridge of the Defiant

Given the depth of the panel, it might be better IMO as one that slides vertically ala the early Enterprise-D panels, as it's more of a cupboard than a drawer. :)
    As for the Master Situation graphic, I went with an Enterprise-C style (again, signaling that 'lost era' aspect of this bridge, it's clearly not the first bridge module the Belknap had). The other stations will keep the existing graphics, but for this one I wanted to kinda show the beginning of the MSD that would become so prevalent by the 24th century.

I love it! We've got the Excelsior-class examples that set the precedent for it anyway, so it makes perfect sense, and this certainly looks like an Excelsior contemporary. :thumb:
    I've also changed the carpet color to a much deeper blue, I felt the bridge was looking quite desaturated.

Good call! The carpet texture looks great too; I can practically smell it! :D Though I will say the circumference ""strip"" still seems a bit odd (the Ent-B had strips, but those were red carpet placed specifically for the VIPs in Generations)... Have you considered making the lower deck levels carpet instead, per both Generations and VOY ""Flashback""? It'd be nicely consistent with what we've seen. :)

ETA: Just went back a page and saw the video of the Bradbury! HOLY SH**, I love it! :o
    The music choice gives it a bit of a ""Lost Ship of the Week"" vibe, so I'm a little worried now :lol:
    Since that main engineering request was a bit too pricey, we might very well go ahead on Battle Bridge Mk. II. I requested something alternative to Rekkert that would most likely be easier for a main project.

I was thinking after I am done with my latest installment - though I may change it from ""Act of Terror"" to ""Scorched Earth,"" jump things to the era of the beginning of TNG's second season - 2365 (the main idea being that the Galaxy had a big role in the Tzenkethi Wars that were mentioned in DS9).
    @Rusty0918 did you start a thread for your fanfic in the Science Fiction Writers' subforum? All I can see of late is Bolian's Entomalians thread...
    I put mine up on DeviantArt. Though perhaps maybe I should put one up.
    Definitely! :)
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    Well, with the captain’s chair so far back and displays directly behind him he can swing his chair around and easy read in information on those aft displays.
    @JMP11 - I like Rekkert's idea with the Starfleet emblem being behind the center seat. It just works better IMHO.
    Starscream wrote: »
    Given the depth of the panel, it might be better IMO as one that slides vertically ala the early Enterprise-D panels, as it's more of a cupboard than a drawer. :)
    My reasoning was that it's quite high, so if it simply opens like a cupboard, crewmembers would have a hard time reaching inside; while if it comes out like a drawer, it would make maintenance and repairs easier at ground level. Then again it could be used both ways if the ship has one of those floating platforms used on TMP laying around. :p
    Good call! The carpet texture looks great too; I can practically smell it! :D Though I will say the circumference ""strip"" still seems a bit odd (the Ent-B had strips, but those were red carpet placed specifically for the VIPs in Generations)... Have you considered making the lower deck levels carpet instead, per both Generations and VOY ""Flashback""? It'd be nicely consistent with what we've seen. :)
    It is indeed a unique aspect of this bridge, I wanted to evoke the 'all carpet' TFF bridge without being so out of place in the era. I originally was gonna make the lower deck all carpet as in the B (and yes, I hate those orange carpets and orange chairs for VIPs), but I preferred to go this route, making it a bit more unique.
    I had already mimicked the B a bit too much with the Nomad; here I wanted to expand the design language of the era rather than copying the very few designs we saw to the letter once again. :)

I've finished modifying the okudagrams for the Belknap, and I've further refined the helm console with some added details. I think I'm ready to call this one done... Thoughts?
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-05.jpg?1545103417

As for the Valkyrie bridge, I'll probably repurpose it as the Ops center for the Regula-type Deep Space 5.
    I have to say, I do like the cleverness of the split helm/nav done this way, and a different style of late 23rd century/early 24th century bridge.

It definitely seems to fit as a transition between eras.
    Thanks Rusty! It was a happy accident; it's the same kind of console used on the Valkyrie pit, but I noticed it looked cool and wouldn't be very visible there, so that's what started the whole Belknap idea. :)

I've increased the overall light levels of the bridge, plus here's a shot of the viewscreen area, which has some add-ons lifted from the Excelsior.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1545123985
    I like how you've put that lower deck carpet in @Rekkert! It makes the upper level no longer "out of place" :)

As far as final recommendations, I'd only suggest:
    Nixing the "bridge piece" between the two helm support struts, or at least reverse the upper edge curve so that it's concave instead of convex,
    Swap out the aft roundels for something approximating the early proto-Isolinear chips seen in Generations, (I like what you did to the colors, btw!),
    Eliminate the Tactical emblem from the displays - I put that on the Connie to intentionally "date" her, but they work against the post-TUC vibe that the bridge is giving here. :)

You're making DS5? Awesome! So are you "refurbing" it to the style seen in the 2370s, or are you going with how it would've looked at construction? (do we know where Ops is on the deckplans? I don't have my pc with me...)

ETA: Stupidly misremembered DS5 as being Starbase 375... :shiner:
  • SuddenFrostSuddenFrost171 Posts: 0Member
    Rekkert, your Valkyrie bridge made me think of Strategic Design's deck plan for the Enterprise-A, which has a CIC and flag bridge on Deck 2:
    https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/sd-constitution-ncc-1700-rebuild/sd-constitution-ncc-1700-rebuild-sheet-9-X.jpg

Would you consider making a model of it?
    @Starscream: Some good points in there!
    Nixing the "bridge piece" between the two helm support struts, or at least reverse the upper edge curve so that it's concave instead of convex,
    That stays, I really like that bit (and it doesn't look as good when concave). :p
    Swap out the aft roundels for something approximating the early proto-Isolinear chips seen in Generations, (I like what you did to the colors, btw!),
    Yeah, I wanted to outright put iso chips in there but they aren't era-appropriate. I did swap one of the screens with the similar looking dilithium status indicator though.
    Eliminate the Tactical emblem from the displays - I put that on the Connie to intentionally "date" her, but they work against the post-TUC vibe that the bridge is giving here. :)
    Oops, I forgot about that! :lol: I have now replaced them with the TVH version of that graphic.

@SuddenFrost: Oh, I didn't know that was there! To be honest I can stretch a CIC (or a bridge/CIC combo) in a ship we never saw, like the Valkyrie; but for well known ships such as the Enterprise, there's no way that was there and it was never used. :lol:

That being said, for a special ship class such as an Ark Royal-Class carrier or a Proxima-Class battleship, that would make for an awesome bridge!

Here are the finished renders for the Belknap:
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1545184905
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-02.jpg?1545184907
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-03.jpg?1545184913
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-04.jpg?1545184920
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-belknap-bridge-cutaway.jpg?1545184919
    That looks real nice; surprisingly cozy even, considering the color palette! It would have made for a great Ingram bridge. I like! :thumb:

The TVH tactical displays are a definite improvement, they really look the part. :) As for the convex bit, I wonder if all those wide FOV images are affecting your vision... :flippy: (tbh it's only from in front it looks odd - the view from aft looks ideal)

Isolinears definitely aren't era-appropriate, I agree; but the proto-Isolinear (late Duotronic?) chips were obviously a thing by Generations. The chips being wider and horizontally stacked set them apart visually, as did their coloring. In fact, as the vertical ovals were pretty much dead by GEN, I'd say these are more anachronistic!

In any case, having five roundel panels is a bit overkill, IMO (they were designed to be either Emergency Battery indicators ala TWOK, or Computer Core segment Status displays, though I never settled on one! :lol:) and since I only just clicked that you're missing Enviro and Mission Ops stations, I would have recommended some abbreviated panels for them, instead... Oh well, too late now! :)
    @Starscream: I'm glad you liked it! IMO it's way too small for an Ingram bridge given the reduced number of stations, hence why I chose a smaller ship. :)

I've finished the last commission I was doing, and while I'm anxious to show you the results, they won't be available for several months. ;)

Now I've already started my next one, and it's comprised of a record four interiors, commissioned by Rusty. I'll be doing the four of them in a row because three of them are redresses of existing sets, while one is a completely new room. The sets are all from the USS Galaxy:
    -Main bridge, as it looked by 2365 (TNG season 2)
    -Main bridge, as it looked by 2376 (Post-DS9)
    -Battle bridge, as it looked by 2365 (A redress of the Constellation bridge)
    -Transporter room, also as it was by 2365

For the first two sets, I needed to bring the 2360 Galaxy bridge I did last year up to spec. This included changing all the materials to the newer versions using Principled shaders, plus changing the meshes to updated iterations I made for the Enterprise-D bridge, and overhauling the lighting and color management settings to take advantage of Blender's latest updates. Here's the result:

Before:
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-02.jpg?1545548826
    After:
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-04.jpg?1545548830

I might re-render all the shots of this iteration of the bridge, so that once the other two versions are done, a direct comparison is possible.
    I think I mentioned you're missing a few consoles; I did imagine you'd include them on the Ingram :) (though the Belknap is roughly the same size as the Enterprise-A, so there's no need for a ""smaller"" bridge, unless maybe heavily automated?) Intrigued by what you'd actually do with the Ingram! :)

Also intrigued by this secret commission you've done :D

Re: the Galaxy update, the colors are noticeably different on the darker carpet trim as well as the wall fabric and the wall/console colors... Was this intentional or an unexpected side effect?

Other than that I can't really comment as I'm viewing from the smart (dumb, very dumb) phone screen! :lol: I definitely look forward to you tackling a Transporter Room though!
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    Damn... Rusty must have some hella deep pockets... :p
    Well, to be frank, two of them are going to be simple updates. As with the 2365 update of the USS Galaxy's bridge - attached is a picture which showcases what will change between that and the 2360 version.
    112856.jpg
    And here I sort of show some of the changes that will differentiate the Galaxy battle bridge Mk. II and Belknap bridge, apart from the fact that Conn/Ops and the standing stations will all be TNG style, among other things. I gave Rekkert a list of things that are different.
    112857.jpg
    It seems pretty clear and well laid-out Rusty, though I'd recommend two Tactical consoles rather than a separate Security station. Reasons being:
    1) By this point Internal Security functions have been well and truly integrated with Tactical, and
    2) Bearing in mind its purpose, you're better off with redundant Tactical stations for the Battle Bridge, ala the Defiant. :)

The only other thought was to maybe swap the Turbo alcoves with the two empty (equipment) stations either side of Master Sit / Systems' Status - to link it a bit more closely with your original Battle Bridge. :)
    I’m looking forward to seeing the transporter room in aqua ;) Seriously though, I’m looking forward to seeing your idea for a mark II battle bridge. I always thought the battle bridge seen on screen was unimpressive, although the changes made to it help a lot in Best of Both Worlds.
    Well, you could easily re-configure the separate security station to act as Tactical II. Or you could use that lovely Emergency Override console that will be present in this battle bridge (should it fit) as such. It won't look like the TFF/TUC helm/nav for the Enterprise-A, mostly a longer TNG-style console like the tactical station on the original battle bridge.

I'm not sure which one Rekkert wants to start working on.

BTW, this is a rough draft (I was going to have someone look it over) of my fourth installment that I completed last summer with the title ""Spellbound,"" though I may change the name to ""Trance"" or ""Entranced"" or something like that. It features the ill-fated Dobrovolsky that Rekkert did the bridge for me: https://sta.sh/01y422je1o9m
    Oh, I fully expected TNG consoles anyway. It'd be weird to have any of the older style in this era! ;) As for the Emergency Manual Monitor, that as I recall is essentially a Emergency Override station, ie the big forward console in this case...

JMP11 raises an interesting point about the BBridge actually: Are you planning on having the same console layout as the TNG version behind the Captain's chair? :)
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Hello Rekkert

STUNNING work. Love the blue/grey colour scheme you've used for the bridge (which also made the Galaxy-class bridge look cooler).

Any chance of seeing any wireframes of the sets.
    @Starscream: Well, the Belknap is the same overall size, but the secondary hull is drastically reduced in size and function (with almost no cargo/shuttle area and a smaller deflector), plus the crew is supposed to be a fraction that of the Constitution as well. I assumed it could do with a less crowded bridge. :)

Regarding the colors on the Galaxy renders, all the materials have the exact same colors they did before, but as the lighting, color management engine, and shaders were all updated in one way or the other, the interaction of these systems resulted in slightly different coloring in some areas. The grey on the walls fabric was particularly drastically changed when I did the Enterprise-D bridges, so I brought over this newer version here.

@Nevets: Thank you very much! I never really thought (or was asked) about wireframes before... I'll certainly see what I can do about that with the new sets! :)

I couldn't help myself, I ended up redoing the renders, plus updating the cutaway to my new style (I'm sorry if someone thinks it's a step back as it has less info, but I prefer the cleaner style).

Now that the 2360 version is properly updated, I'll start working on the 2365 version of the bridge, which is a pretty minor modification, mostly mirroring the changes the Enterprise-D bridge had in TNG's second season. After that, I'll work chronologically, so I'll be doing the transporter room next, then the battle bridge, and finally the 2376 bridge.

In other news, Scragnog finished another video showcasing an interior set on Unreal Engine: the Constellation. This time he worked in conjunction with Jeff_The_Sloth (who was the main lighting artist in Stage 9) on the conversion.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-01.jpg?1545862176
    tadeo-d-oria-c2-01.jpg?1545862180
    tadeo-d-oria-c3-01.jpg?1545862184
    tadeo-d-oria-c4-01.jpg?1545862187
    tadeo-d-oria-uss-galaxy-bridge-2360-cutaway.jpg?1545862191
    @JMP11 and @Starscream - I'm trying to figure out how to word it. The LCARS display graphics themselves would be like BOBW2 (and I'd like those on the Galaxy main bridge 2365 version if possible, but the LCARS displays would be pretty much arranged like they are on the Belknap.
    @Rusty0918 Have you thought about modifying the upper displays to match the ones seen in BOBW2?

1425.jpg
    112859.jpg
    @Rekkert odd, I always remembered the Belknap as being the same but with different pylon/nacelle arrangements... Nevertheless, you still need to control ship's Environment.
    Stop suffocating the crew, dammit! :lol:

I see what you're saying re the colors; shame as I quite liked the bluer hue you had going on - it worked well with the turquoise etc. :)

The bridge video looks incredible! Please pass on my compliments. I would like to ask about the sharp contrast to the lighting - is it a quirk of the Unreal engine?

The cutaway looks fine to me, as do the new renders. Are you getting complaints?

@Rusty0918 I think I understand what you're going for -essentially populating the existing spaces with TNG era LCARS... Would you be going for a bright ""Parallels"" color scheme? I think that could look pretty sweet with the grey/aquas you've got going. Also: will you simply swap the lower display ""monitors"" with the standard TNG style display shape (the ""T"" rotated anticlockwise)? This approach has been used on the show several times. :)