Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Indeed, that's becoming one of my favorite "ideas that worked" (that and the seating, I love how Rekkert has perfected them - makes me want to sit at each one to try them out :D )!
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Seems we're stuck with links for the time being, sorry everyone :( I've sent DeviantArt a support ticket, if they don't reply or this is by design (as I suspect) I guess I'll have to find a new service.

I've finished the graphics for all the wall facing stations, plus I've tweaked the Captain's chair a bit more.
    Image 1
    Image 2
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Seems we're stuck with links for the time being, sorry everyone :( I've sent DeviantArt a support ticket, if they don't reply or this is by design (as I suspect) I guess I'll have to find a new service.

I've finished the graphics for all the wall facing stations, plus I've tweaked the Captain's chair a bit more.
    Image 1
    Image 2

I suspect you're right regarding DA... :/

Okudagrams are looking awesome! I have some minor notes re: placement; will send over shortly on email. :)
    Some slight modifications to the Captain's chair, plus some revised okudagrams, and a start on the ceiling mounted astrogator, which still needs more work.

Also, I'll start posting my WIP images on ArtStation. I'm paying for the pro subscription in order to have my portfolio there anyway, so I better make full use of the service. I hope these don't have timed tokens...

tadeo-d-oria-c1-38.jpg?1543728711
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-39.jpg?1543728715
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-40.jpg?1543728719
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    I am just loving that ceiling graphic!
    @BolianAdmiral: I'm loving how it's coming together as well. :D

So... I did a thing... It's not perfect, but it's certainly promising if I have the time to continue playing with it
    That's awesome!!
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I agree. Looks great!
    I've been playing around with Eevee's baked lighting some more.

On the previous video, I just had a grey environment map "lighting" the Constellation scene; but for the Anchorage, I used an Irradiance Volume, which you can place surrounding your mesh and use to then bake the lighting from the Cycles PBR renderer into Eevee. The more sample points you have, the higher the quality (but also the longer time it takes to bake). I used 8x8x4 samples on that video, hence why the lighting was quite pixelated on some areas.

The Constellation is quite a complexly shaped room in comparison, so even a 64x64x48 samples bake (which took almost two hours) looks quite bad, with a lot of black spots.

I've also used a Reflection Cubemap to bake in the reflections you see off of the consoles, but being just a cube, the reflections aren't nearly as accurate as they are on a Cycles render.

Once the model's complete maybe it'll be worthwhile to invest more time into this and do an ultra long bake, but then again the end result will never look as good as it does on Cycles, not only due to reflections but also stuff like transparency being non-existent for now.
    Heh, looks kinda like she took a little battle damage as is :D
    @Starscream: Haha, yeah I had the same though. :lol:

I've started work on the helm console, which is a blend of the TFF and TUC styles, with some TWoK thrown in the mix as well. Pretty early so far, so expect changes in layout.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-42.jpg?1544053636
    I love the new positioning! Have sent updated notes on details etc :)

Two other things stood out: That ceiling reflection is actually quite mesmerising, and: I can even make out the seating fabric in the closeup! :thumb: :D
    @Starscream: Hahaha, that fabric is a pain, I'm still tweaking it. It's really hard to do a convincing grey granular fabric that doesn't look like bad white noise.

More work on the helm console. The keyboards are now in place, along with the switches at the base of the station (which like the TWoK switches have a little light to indicate when they're on and off) and several other details, though still most stuff's subject to change.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-43.jpg?1544136274
    Well it's looking convincing enough to me, for what it's worth! :thumb:
    Some more progress, almost there! :lol:

tadeo-d-oria-c1-44.jpg?1544255844
    I've tweaked the UV map of the helm so that the graphics align better with the physical bits, plus I've added a throttle to the helm (controlled by the left hand given it's position, so it's inverted from the one Sulu had in TMP) and other elements. The remaining controls are already planned and laid out, so they shouldn't take long to add them in.

tadeo-d-oria-c1-45.jpg?1544430968
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-46.jpg?1544430974
    Schplendid :D
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    This isn't a request (at least not yet), but I had mind a variation of this for an Odysseus-class starship (https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/stexpanded/images/1/13/Lexington_Ortho_1.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130205010307) - the prime difference would be a TUC-Excelsior style helm/nav with similar instrumentation (no domes, but perhaps the yaw/pitch/roll deal and the throttle can be integrated) - with some of the switches and push-buttons (the TUC Excelsior had these features if you didn't notice carefully).
    Nice idea! I loved the Ingram and variants back when Jay was working on them way back when, and did a 2D workup of what the bridge might have looked like. :) Would you go on full Excelsior-blue trim, or something else?
    Starscream wrote: »
    Nice idea! I loved the Ingram and variants back when Jay was working on them way back when, and did a 2D workup of what the bridge might have looked like. :) Would you go on full Excelsior-blue trim, or something else?

I had a few ideas of what it might look like. One idea was a TVH-style bridge with TUC-Excelsior helm and nav stations, another being a TUC Enterprise-A style with TUC-Excelsior helm/nav, and of course this one.

I do have a few other requests for Rekkert though for down the line.
    Fun fact: I'm a big fan of the Ingram (I had the original schematics when I was a kid), and I was already planing in my head to do a bridge for it based on the Constellation bridge whenever I had the time.
    @Rusty0918 Nice! Take a look in my 2D thread - the last post might be of interest/inspiration (or not - it's a bit outdated! :lol: )

I imagine Rekkert's queue is getting longer all the time hahahaha

@Rekkert I always loved that aesthetic bridge between the TMP and (bloated, ungainly) Excelsior styles!
    @Starscream - I can imagine it is. The next major commission (from scratch) I have for Rekkert is another set that's NOT a bridge, and a few easier redresses.
    Well, try not to hog the queue! :lol:

I've a few non-bridge concepts myself (Connie's Engineering for one!), but in all honesty they need a lot more fleshing out before they're ready for a commission, IMO...
    Starscream wrote: »
    Well, try not to hog the queue! :lol:

I've a few non-bridge concepts myself (Connie's Engineering for one!), but in all honesty they need a lot more fleshing out before they're ready for a commission, IMO...

Well, the one big one is the USS Galaxy main engineering. It's very similar (but there are some differences) to the Enterprise-D engineering. Part of it will have a TUC feel for it (as if again Nick Meyer had a hand in doing TNG). In fact even have a slight variation of it as well (for later years) as well.
    Ah, hopefully that should be easier then, as there are at least decent floorplans available. :) I always felt that the Engineering spaces on the E-D should've been mostly grey rather than "decorated" like the rest of the ship!

Unfortunately the Connie's Main Engineering is largely custom (though it uses the same hexagonal, corrugated structure seen as the Ent-D warp nacelle control room for the central area), so I'm slowly putting together a 2d floorplan....
    @Starscream - yes it's going to have the gray/aqua tone that is present throughout the other interiors. Furthermore, along the length of the room with the pooltable there I requested piping a la the TUC corridors not to mention one of the side stations being replaced by a greeble pipe bulkhead (not to mention additional vertical piping running parallel to the warp core).
    I've done the little turbolift indicator screen (which got reused all the way to the Enterprise-E), which was the only item I hadn't model yet. All that's left now is to finish the remaining okudagrams.
    tadeo-d-oria-c1-48.jpg?1544516468

Also, completely off topic; I've rewatched TMP on the weekend, and noticed the control tower of Epsilon IX had some very unique looking consoles. I think these would work great for a small bridge, like an Oberth or Okinawa. A shame they didn't reused them for the Grissom. A future project, perhaps...

Also, as far as I can tell, this is the first use of the chairs that would later be on Picard's ready room.
    tadeo-d-oria-screenshot-20181210-165003.jpg?1544516471
    Turbolift is looking spot on; will send some notes on the Helm later today from home :)

Good catch on the Epsilon stations! I like that the displays are a touch closer to TVH than the refit... I'd been working on an Oberth bridge (C24th refit, with TMP aesthetics) but so far it's just a rough idea and collection of images. This definitely adds some more inspiration! :)
    @Starscream - actually I think they're more refit than TVH, well, the coloring might seem otherwise.

I do have two unreleased Galaxy Chronicles stories (one with the working title "The Trance" and the second being "Dishonorable."). I'm working on another one called "Act of Terror" which is an allegory to the violent shootings here in the U.S.