Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1117 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,570Member
    No worries. What counts is that you like it... it's your baby. :D
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I too like that command area! It's always good to have variation. :D I did ponder once that it might be better with Conn-sized consoles for Riker and Troi, so they could access Tactical and (at a guess) Communications functions more easily...

The background colors aren't entirely disimilar to how I've always thought the Nebula-class should have looked (based on what little we saw of the Phoenix, the Sutherland, etc), bearing in mind it was a slightly earlier class, and that it tended to be more of a workhorse compared to the "stately" Galaxy-class.

The only thing that sticks out to me (I won't go into the label colors :lol: ) is that the red carpet clashes a bit with the relatively grey-blue bridge. Maybe a faded teal to go in line with the seating might work better? :)
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Starscream wrote: »
    I too like that command area! It's always good to have variation. :D I did ponder once that it might be better with Conn-sized consoles for Riker and Troi, so they could access Tactical and (at a guess) Communications functions more easily...

The background colors aren't entirely disimilar to how I've always thought the Nebula-class should have looked (based on what little we saw of the Phoenix, the Sutherland, etc), bearing in mind it was a slightly earlier class, and that it tended to be more of a workhorse compared to the "stately" Galaxy-class.

The only thing that sticks out to me (I won't go into the label colors :lol: ) is that the red carpet clashes a bit with the relatively grey-blue bridge. Maybe a faded teal to go in line with the seating might work better? :)

Well, you do have a point about that, I never really asked much about the colors - a faded teal/aqua might go better as well.

Actually, I pictured the USS Nebula having a slightly higher registry that the USS Galaxy (e.g. NCC-70863) and the lower NCC-6xxxx registries were ships that were going to be one class but something changed and they decided to make 'em all Nebulas. In my books, registry numbers aren't strictly chronological. We saw Constitution-class ships with registries as low as NCC-1017 (or even NCC-956) when the Constitution herself was NCC-1700. I know some sources have the Nebula-class as NCC-60147 or NCC-60xxx, but there really isn't one that's chiseled in stone so I'll take artistic license.
    I'd agree on them not being strictly chronological, but also consider that contradictions would be the exception rather than the rule (eg the generally accepted point that some older classes have batches of newer builds, with accordingly higher registries, in existence; while old TOS registry conflicts can be rationally ignored on the simple basis that these were either outright production flubs, or just the result of lack of time and money). :)

RE the Nebula, to my mind an entire 10,000 registry entries out of date seems a little excessive... particularly when we also bear in mind the slightly older, rougher interiors.

I'd considered a "true" Nebula bridge when I commissioned Rekkert, but we both agreed it was too soon to modify Bolian's Quasar set. I've also got in mind a "devolved" Galaxy bridge design for the New Orleans class from around the time of the Cardassian War, based on a tiny fragment of a comic book illustration and various other bits of inspiration, so may have to stump up for another commission fairly soon if Rekkert'll take it! :D
    I'd agree on them not being strictly chronological, but also consider that contradictions would be the exception rather than the rule (eg the generally accepted point that some older classes have batches of newer builds, with accordingly higher registries, in existence; while old TOS registry conflicts can be rationally ignored on the simple basis that these were either outright production flubs, or just the result of lack of time and money). :)

RE the Nebula, to my mind an entire 10,000 registry entries out of date seems a little excessive... particularly when we also bear in mind the slightly older, rougher interiors.

I'd considered a "true" Nebula bridge when I commissioned Rekkert, but we both agreed it was too soon to modify Bolian's Quasar set. I've also got in mind a "devolved" Galaxy bridge design for the New Orleans class from around the time of the Cardassian War, based on a tiny fragment of a comic book illustration and various other bits of inspiration, so may have to stump up for another commission fairly soon if Rekkert'll take it! :D

Well - here's my two cents - the dedication plaque for the USS Phoenix (which had a lower registry than Galaxy) indicated it being launched on Stardate 40xxx.x - which was 2363, less than a year before the Enterprise-D was launched (and in six years after the Galaxy was commissioned!).

The Sutherland bridge that we saw I always presumed to be temporary, since it seemed more like an auxiliary control room. Perhaps her previous bridge was damaged and the one we saw in "Redemption Part II" was a fill-in.

My idea of a "true" Nebula bridge is similar layout to the Galaxy design but instead of the horeshoe rail, it's one of those utilitarian consoles a la the Zodiac's tactical or the Ent-D Battle Brige's tactical as seen in "Encounter At Farpoint" and "The Arsenal of Freedom."
    True, but I think we all know by now that the model shop team and the set designers don't always line up! :lol: IMHO it's easier to accept such flubs as what they are, and thus ignore them, rather that doing mental gymnastics to make it all fit :)

I wouldn't eliminate the horseshoe rail entirely for the Nebulas, but we know that the Odyssey for example had a more generic handrail of some sort, so it's not exactly out of the question to have something different on some vessels (I like the BBridge consoles, too). I'd expect there to be at least as many subtle variations for Nebulas as there are for their more hotel-esque Galaxy cousins...

I think we're both of similar minds as far as a slightly more utilitarian look for it, in any case! :)
    Rusty0918's bridge design is already giving me some ideas for both my own 'verse's version of the Nebula and Galaxy bridges. I can totally imagine the iteration he has, as it is now (with the season 1 Captain's chair), being the original "testbed" version of the ship, meaning that while the exterior form of the ship and modules has been finalized and fully completed, the interior equipment isn't the final installed equipment - just what's needed for the yard engineering teams to test out the workings of the ship and her systems - the final interior layout will be installed following the first open space trials and shakedowns are completed.

As for the Quasar vs. Nebula/Galaxy bridge... my intent was that while both bridge modules are physically identical, the systems on the Nebula-Class were where the systems on the Galaxy were largely tested and proved, and we see the result of that in the Galaxy bridge, which is why there's no bulky bit on the main viewscreen or on the tactical horseshoe, and why there are no large twin isolinear banks on either side of the bridge - by the time the Galaxy was completed, those systems had been streamlined to the point where they could be integrated in a far less visible manner.

At least, that's MY take, lol.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Just a thought, but if you really want to keep it period-accurate (just prior to TNG), I would really use the 1st season Captain's chair, since that's what we saw on the 1st season 1701-D, the Yamato, and the Hathaway, Lantree, and Brattain, not to mention the 1701-C. Again, just what I would do.

Unless you count the flashback sequences in All Good Things, where the Enterprise had the Season 2 and later style chair in the Encounter at Farpoint time frame. :p
    Unless you count the flashback sequences in All Good Things, where the Enterprise had the Season 2 and later style chair in the Encounter at Farpoint time frame. :p

Well there's no saying that the season 2 chair onward couldn't be used prior to 2365. And yes I did notice a lot of discrepancies with "All Good Things..." and "Encounter at Farpoint" (among them also being the viewscreen "chaser lights" moving in a diverging pattern as opposed to a converging pattern in Season 1).

We could assume that the Ent-D was always meant to have the Season 2-onward chair but when she was launched, they put the Season 1 version in by accident, if you catch my drift.

Keep in mind also the Odyssey (from DS9's "The Jem'Hadar") didn't have the Season 2-onward chair. You don't see it much, but given the color, they re-used the command chair from the USS Pasteur from AGT (which is in turn redressed from the Battle Bridge command chair).

You might have a variety of different options when it comes to seating arrangements, just like you do in vehicles (though none are available with such anymore - some vehicles could be available with a front bench seat or front bucket seats).

It's also possible that the Enterprise-D rendevoused with the Galaxy or the Yamato (the latter of course being a time before it went bye-bye) and Picard liked Captain Sonal Chandra's chair (Captain Sonal Chandra is captain of the Galaxy in my TNG: Galaxy Chronicles stories) or Donald Varley's chair and wanted it changed.
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 413Member
    here is my bridge
    111921.png
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    SATR wrote: »
    here is my bridge

I like it.
  • RekkertRekkert4101 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,310Member
    On the whole Nebula/Galaxy conversation, I like to take into account the behind-the-scenes info when possible, and originally the Nebula-Class was supposed to be a smaller vessel for its appearance in 'The Wounded'. Similarly, we know that other ships with the same parts or similar style to the Galaxy are around (the Wolf 359 ships), and that they all have a lower registry number. Given this, I imagine that all this ships are offshoots of the bigger Galaxy Class project, and were quickly put together in order to test the viability of the newer technology being developed for the new flagship. So, I do imagine them all as older, and it's plausible that the Nebula does have an NCC- 6XXXX registry, but that's just my interpretation.

Regarding the Captain's chair, I imagine that what design to use is literally the Captain's prerogative, so indeed that Picard saw the Season 2 style chair in another ship and liked it is perfectly possible to me.

I've UV mapped the new platform and modified the aft stations, which now use the late TNG version of the chairs rather than the original on-rails ones. I'm also adding back the LCARS bits that won't have to be modified for this bridge.

I'm mostly researching and looking for the best references I can find for the new Captain's chair right now, so there's not much visible progress.

c5_01_by_rekkert-dbm2hbp.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Looking great, dude. :)
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    Well there's no saying that the season 2 chair onward couldn't be used prior to 2365. And yes I did notice a lot of discrepancies with "All Good Things..." and "Encounter at Farpoint" (among them also being the viewscreen "chaser lights" moving in a diverging pattern as opposed to a converging pattern in Season 1).

I was being silly with my All Good Things comment. Obviously, there are issues with that episode. For one, there's no escaping the season seven carpet on the bridge. The worst was them giving Data Lt. JG rank, when he was a Lt. Cdr. throughout the entire series and movies.
    Looks good too! Anyways, with this being underway, I'm working a bit on "ST:TNG The Galaxy Chronicles" pilot "The Sound of the Shiant." As I say, the series starts in 2360 (four years prior to the first season of TNG) on board the USS Galaxy.

In this, the USS Galaxy is called to investigate an unusual spate of ion storms that have been wrecking ships in a frontier sector of the Federation after the previous Starfleet vessel sent to investigate went silent, whether this is a natural occurring phenomenon, or the machinations of an unknown intelligence.

The captain of the Galaxy is not quite what you'd expect (wanted to get away from the gray/white haired males). Her name is Captain Sonal Chandra (and if this was any TV series I'd picture her being portrayed by Archie Panjabi of "The Good Wife" and "Blindspot," among others). Her great-great grandfather was part of Kirk's court-martial board in TOS's "Court Martial." The first officer (who doubles as science officer and mans that station typically right next to the command chair) is Lieutenant Commander Sorista, a female Shrostian. As for her appearance, try to picture what Jem looks like in the Jem and the Holograms IDW comic series, except with cotton-candy blue colored hair and blue facial markings (not makeup but standard part of the Shrostian anatomy). Oh and the chief engineer is vertically challenged (picture him being portrayed by "Game of Thrones" Peter Dinklage).
    Rekkert wrote: »
    On the whole Nebula/Galaxy conversation, I like to take into account the behind-the-scenes info when possible, and originally the Nebula-Class was supposed to be a smaller vessel for its appearance in 'The Wounded'. Similarly, we know that other ships with the same parts or similar style to the Galaxy are around (the Wolf 359 ships), and that they all have a lower registry number. Given this, I imagine that all this ships are offshoots of the bigger Galaxy Class project, and were quickly put together in order to test the viability of the newer technology being developed for the new flagship.

My view is similar, but that designs like the New Orleans were earlier testbeds for a new hull form and other new technologies. I imagine that originally the larger-scaled Galaxy would have had an almost identical set of proportions to the New Orleans (minus the sensor/torpedo add ons), but then during testing they determined that for the larger vessel the extended height would be better for either warp field stress, or perhaps specifically related to the separated Battle Section.

With the distinct similarity in external hull forms, I tend to imagine that at the very least, the basic internal structure (ie the bridge, quarters, corridors) would look much the same.

Coming along nicely, so far. I had no idea the rear seating had ever not been on rails. We're all learning as you go! :D
    Progress is coming along nicely on the new chair, only the armrests and some minor details left.

c5_02_by_rekkert-dbmbasc.png
    Progress is coming along nicely on the new chair, only the armrests and some minor details left.

c5_02_by_rekkert-dbmbasc.png

I like I like!

Anyways, I just finished my first draft of "Sound of the Shiant." If any of you would like a copy of it, E-mail me at [email protected]. This is the USS Galaxy's first proper misssion!
    Looking great, dude. :)
    VERY nice! I love the worn leathery texture on the chair!
    @rusty0918: I'm glad you like! You have my address, feel free to send me a link! :D

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! It was always there, but I guess the blue makes it stand out more. :lol:

I've finished the chair. For the armrests I reused the one from the Charybdis/Anchorage version of this chair, as it was fairly accurate; however I did some heavy modifications to it to make it as accurate as I could.

c5_03_by_rekkert-dbmc933.png
    @rusty0918: I'm glad you like! You have my address, feel free to send me a link! :D

@evil_genius_180: Thanks! :)

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! It was always there, but I guess the blue makes it stand out more. :lol:

I've finished the chair. For the armrests I reused the one from the Charybdis/Anchorage version of this chair, as it was fairly accurate; however I did some heavy modifications to it to make it as accurate as I could.

c5_03_by_rekkert-dbmc933.png

Well it looks good to me!
    Anyways, to all you folks - here's the first "draft" of "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" entitled "The Sound of the Shiant." It's a Word document, BTW. Feel free to call me out on any problems, any qualms, etc.

https://sta.sh/028wg0mz6dor
    I hopped over to the TrekBBS and noted some of their comments. I have to admit I'm leaning in their direction re: the asymmetry - it's rather at odds with the horseshoe and support pillar in the background.

Have you guys considered putting two of the "exec" seat & consoles in (either facing directly forward or angled towards the Captain)? I think by using the helm seating you'd still maintain enough of a unique identity from the regular Galaxy-class... :)

Rusty your document link doesn't appear to be working? :confused:
    I hopped over to the TrekBBS and noted some of their comments. I have to admit I'm leaning in their direction re: the asymmetry - it's rather at odds with the horseshoe and support pillar in the background.

Have you guys considered putting two of the "exec" seat & consoles in (either facing directly forward or angled towards the Captain)? I think by using the helm seating you'd still maintain enough of a unique identity from the regular Galaxy-class... :)

Rusty your document link doesn't appear to be working? :confused:

Well, when I first saw the configuration, I thought the command chair should be moved forward to be beside the executive station. I thought the original reason for that was to give the first officer easier access to her seat. But we could move both seats up and move them a bit further apart.

Though - I will say, maybe two secondary command seats with full-length consoles might not be a bad idea after all, if there is enough room. If not, we'll do the Hathaway configuration. Heck, the two-full length console idea was actually originally *MY* idea in the first place way way back!

The link works for me Starscream, but if it doesn't for you, what's your E-mail address? I can send you a copy directly from that? Anyways, my E-mail is [email protected] if you want to contact me that way for it.
    After trying some alternatives and showing them to Rusty, here's the new alternate distribution of the command area. I still have to change the LCARS and change the consoles a bit, but the general idea is here. What do you think?

c5_04_by_rekkert-dbmfywx.png
    c5_04a_by_rekkert-dbmfyxc.png
    It seems kind of cluttered to me with the two big consoles there. Just my opinion. I actually didn't mind the asymmetry you had before.
    Personally I think it looks much better; it reintroduces balance to the area (I normally have no problem with the Hathaway configuration, evil_genius, in fact I quite like it, but it looked incongruous when combined with the traditional horseshoe / command area here). And IMHO the cluttered feeling isn't a bad thing when you bear in mind this was the "prototype" configuration for the class... In fact to be honest, I think it'd go very nicely on a few other variants, not to mention some Nebulas! :)

Still not feeling that red carpet though! :D

Rusty don't worry - the link is working again now, or rather, the page it sends you to is. For some reason the download page was saying the file no longer existed last night. Will have a read when I get a spare few. :thumb:
    Just a side note - I also found these labels being used in a 3rd season episode... white with red lettering.

white.jpg
    Personally I think it looks much better; it reintroduces balance to the area (I normally have no problem with the Hathaway configuration, evil_genius, in fact I quite like it, but it looked incongruous when combined with the traditional horseshoe / command area here). And IMHO the cluttered feeling isn't a bad thing when you bear in mind this was the "prototype" configuration for the class... In fact to be honest, I think it'd go very nicely on a few other variants, not to mention some Nebulas! :)

Still not feeling that red carpet though! :D

Rusty don't worry - the link is working again now, or rather, the page it sends you to is. For some reason the download page was saying the file no longer existed last night. Will have a read when I get a spare few. :thumb:

I told Rekkert that he can experiment with the carpeting, I'm not too crazy about it either.

To be fair, the original Ent-D command seating was a bit cluttered too with those chairs all together like that. The chairs are farther apart with this one.

Let me know what you think of "The Sound of the Shiant," Starscream!
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    To be fair, the original Ent-D command seating was a bit cluttered too with those chairs all together like that. The chairs are farther apart with this one.

Obviously, the chairs aren't that close together and there are less seats than there were on the Ent-D bridge. It also has the same amount of consoles, one each for the seats left and right of the captain. What I meant by the cluttered comment is that the two full size consoles take up a lot of room. However, that's just my opinion. What's important is that you like it, as you're the one paying for it. And, if that's how you see your command center, then that's how it should be. Rekkert's work is, of course, fantastic.