Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Awesome job!

It just occurred to me, maybe that window in the tactical "wall" can display holographic interfaces (like the glass schematics in Parallels). It'd explain why you have a touchpad set to the portside of it - or is it something you were hinting at intentionally anyway?

I know we almost never see that kind of holographic display in use... but we should! :D
  • RekkertRekkert4041 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,303Member
    I don't know what BolianAdmiral thinks but it could be possible. As for why the touchpad is there, the simple answer is that it was here. :D

Here's the cutaway, I went for something more elaborate this time, and I'll do the same for all bridges from now on (I'll maybe go back to the old ones as well).

uss_zodiac_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-dbiahto.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Nice! Did you use your actual mesh to construct the floorplan, or did you draft it separately?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Awesome work, dude. This came out great. :thumb:
    @Starscream: Thanks! I used a top orthographic view of the model.

@evil_genius_180: Thank you!

I've started my next commission, from our very own Starscream. It's a substantial modification of my Charybdis bridge, I'll give more info and some progress shots in the coming days.

In the meantime, before starting I worked on an updated cutaway graphic for the Quasar, in a similar style to the Zodiac one.

uss_quasar_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-dbg9fr6.png
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @Starscream: Thanks! I used a top orthographic view of the model.

@evil_genius_180: Thank you!

I've started my next commission, from our very own Starscream. It's a substantial modification of my Charybdis bridge, I'll give more info and some progress shots in the coming days.

In the meantime, before starting I worked on an updated cutaway graphic for the Quasar, in a similar style to the Zodiac one.

uss_quasar_bridge_cutaway_by_rekkert-dbg9fr6.png

Rekkert:Oh, wow, that looks awesome! Thank you so much for making that! And, once again, I just have to offer my most sincere thanks to you for not only accepting my projects/commissions, but providing me with such a high-quality product! You took the concepts I had in my head, and despite any fears I may have had about how the end result would look, made them look above and beyond what I could have hoped for, and it was such a special treat to have my visions given life in this way! Thank you!

Starscream: Your project is in THE BEST possible hands! The quality of Rekkert's work speaks for itself! I very much look forward to seeing what you have in mind, with your project!
    Rekkert interesting.. do you have one from the Charybdis at all? It might help for when I'm describing positioning etc. :)

BolianAdmiral It truly does! The feedback so far has already been very insightful; I'm looking forward to what he can make of my jumbled ideas! :lol: (I have to say, I very nearly caved in and decided to go the whole hog with a fully circular Enterprise-C bridge using those perfect consoles from your Zodiac, but my wallet wouldn't extend that far! Next time...)

Incidentally Rekkert, are the Zodiac console wall segments positioned at 30A° to each other, or something more like 25A°?
    @BolianAdmiral: Hehe, thank you very much my friend. :)

@Starscream: I don't have a top vector view from the Charybdis but I'm sending you a top render right now so that you can use it in the same way. Of course this new bridge will include a vectorized view.

As for the Zodiac console walls, yes the three aft walls are exactly at 30A° from each other.

I've been having some personal issues again (from the same nature as before), so I've only been able to start truly working on Starscream's commission today. Said commission is the bridge of the USS Bradbury, a mentioned but never seen ship from the TNG era, which we're basing on this interpretation from the late 90's, making it a bridge between the Galaxy and Intrepid classes.

So, interior wise it'll also be a link between eras, with a lot of details and style choices from the Voyager bridge added into the Charybdis design, and of course some original ideas thrown in here and there. The first order of business was to change the materials. A lot more changes (and colors, and chairs :lol:) to come!

c5_01_by_rekkert-dbivzg6.png
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    LOVE IT! Like there was any doubt. Oh man, I could see this ship being far more automated than a lot of other Starfleet ships.
    Nice! I look forward to watching this take shape!
    Rekkert awesome! It's going almost exactly as imagined - I got the deckplan by the way, thanks :) I had some thoughts about Tact/Ops that I might try to put down using that. It'll let me jot down the complete idea for the steps and handrails also.

BlueNeumann this probably won't be, in actual fact... More on that below!

BolianAdmiral Me too :D I've been umming and ahhing over parts of it for days, Rekkert is very patient :)

On the USS Bradbury:

The ship as described here is a prototype (NX-72307, launched in the mid 2360s - per several TNG episodes), at a point where further advancements such as Bio-neural gel packs haven't been refined yet. If we take the Galaxy-class as the pinnacle of roughly two decades of development (starting way back with classes like the New Orleans and Cheyenne), then the Bradbury is ground zero for the next stage of developments. Some of the elements of the interior are "hand me downs" from existing classes, until the design can be refined and finalised.

Part of the Bradbury's purpose was to test new engine coil designs for a new class of warp drive. With the initial trials proving successful on the Bradbury, the keels of three production models of the class were laid back at Utopia Planetia in late 2366 - the Intrepid, Voyager, and the Bellerephon. However the Bradbury itself went through an extended period of warp drive tests from 2367 onwards (as noted in various TNG Okudagrams), forcing the other vessels' construction to be put on hold while the design went through modifications. By the time the events of TNG "Force of Nature" came about, similar concerns about damage to subspace had been quietly raised by the engineers, and so the propulsion design was completely uprooted. The Bradbury underwent heavy refits to test a modified nacelle and pylon design, while the USS Intrepid would become the new prototype, using the Class 9 Warp Drive based on these modifications.

The bridge itself sits in roughly the same exterior hull shape as that seen on Voyager, with some differences. Much of the internal hull space for this bridge module is taken up by extensive survival equipment and IDF reinforcements, so the bridge is by necessity smaller. The two exits, instead of leading to turbolifts, both lead to out to a series of steps heading down to foyers where the Ready Room and turbolift can be accessed to Starboard, and the Conference Room and Head can be reached on Portside (imagine that the steps on Voyager leading to the Ready Room / Briefing Room are on the other side of these doors).

All thoughts, comments & suggestions welcome! :)
    That's a really nice start on the bridge. I like the blend of eras.
    Thank you all! :)

@Starscream: Great! I'm looking forward to see the result of that! :D

I've worked on the helm station, which per Starscream's suggestion is based on the Patagonia helm. After looking at the blueprints for both Voyager and Equinox, I've made the station a bit smaller (80% of its original size) so that it fits in line better with the helm stations of the era, particularly in regards to its height. I'll add further modifications to the console (and a rail for the helmsman's chair) later in order to make it look more era appropriate.

I've also started working on the floor, which adds a new lower level and changes in the mid area from how it was on the Charybdis. Ignore the texture for now, the UV map went crazy after I started changing the topology, I'll correct it once I've finished working on that area.

On this render you can also see that the aft consoles are illuminated in two different ways, from a hidden source below the console, or from five strips of light at feet level. The idea is to keep only one of these styles, what do you all think about how they look?

c5_02_by_rekkert-dbizjhq.png
    Nice work! Personally, I prefer the five light strips at foot level, but that's just me. IMO, the hidden source light is a bit too dim. The light strips provide more direct light.
    Indeed, we've agreed in the meantime to use both lighting sources on the "seated" consoles. I'll let Rekkert post the latest updates, but it's looking mighty pretty! :)
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks!

Well, in the end, we chose to use both light sources at the same time for those consoles. :lol:

I've kept working on the helm area, the console itself is now as big as it was on the Patagonia again, but set at a lower height as the whole area is two steps below the main level now.

I've kept adding details all over the floor, as you can see the step with the Captain's chair now extends to both sides all the way to the doors.

The seated consoles were also modified to be closer in style to the Voyager consoles, while retaining their original shape.

c5_06_by_rekkert-dbj1icb.png
    c5_07_by_rekkert-dbj1icp.png
    It's looking really good. Extending that step for the captain's chair platform all the way to the walls was a good call, it flows better. Also, going up to or down from the aft stations doesn't require getting as close to the command chair. I like what you did with the lighting things for the side and rear stations. I was going to say I liked the hidden source, so it's interesting you kept both.
    evil_genius_180 the downlighting effect worked really well, but the new lighting strips were too darn good to get rid of! I love the combination Rekkert suggested.

Glad you like the extended step; the reason for this was so that a handrail of some form could be added; hopefully it won't look too cramped once in place.

Those consoles are beautiful Rekkert! *sniff* :thumb:

You were right all along about the forward stations too; they do look better in dark grey. The equipment lockers might end up better in the medium grey of the walls though now, as a contrast...

Am I imagining things or have the exit doors shrunk?
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! Extending those steps will make even more sense in the next update! :D

@Starscream: Yeah those lockers/circuitry access are black right now simply because it was the next color in line when I deleted the red, indeed they'll be lighter once I get to them.

As for the doors, they're smaller than they were before, but are actually of the correct size they should've always been. The main issue with my first bridges is that as I wasn't using any references, they all ended up being waaay bigger than they should. This bridge might seem small from certain angles, but it's actually a lot bigger than the Zodiac bridge, and wider than the Quasar/Enterprise-D bridge! So the door is smaller now, but it actually has the size it should've always had. :p
    Lot of changes, first off the wall consoles are now smaller, they now stop at two meters tall, pretty much at the same level as the door as you can see. For the three seated consoles, the display area is the same, but the console at the bottom is now flatter.

I also modified the chairs, despite Starscream being happy with them I wanted to make them more unique, so I added some small armrest. First pass on the railing behind the captain as well.

It's not seen here (because there's nothing to show yet) but I've redone the whole viewscreen area wall, as the old one was VERY low poly.

c1_01_by_rekkert-dbj894k.png
    Recoat the handrail in silver / stainless steel and it's a winner! I don't think it needs any extra supports or anything as it stands (no pun intended...!)

Looking at the console surrounds, I'm concerned that even greebled, we'll have a large grey space above the lcars panels. I'd recommend we drop their top edges about a third of the way down towards the tops of the lcars panels. For the rear stations, this would also make the height of the lighter grey surrounds above at roughly equal to their width at the sides.

Did all of that make sense? Apologies if not, it's been a loooong day here and my brain is fried!

ETA: If I've not already said on here, I love how well those wall supports turned out! Those and the Conn console, and the lighting effects, and the new stations, and the Captain's Chair, and the floorplan, and... :cool:
    I like the new console sizes, they look more functional. Also, the chairs look cool with the little armrests. :)
    Nice work! I like the Captain's chair design a lot, as well as the two aft standing consoles and the multi-level floor. I also like the various workstation alcoves and the little gray labels, lol.
    @Starscream: Thanks! :) Changes done, and yeah, that made sense :lol:

@evil_genius_180: haha, the armrests were really easy to do, but I didn't know how to do them when I started with the Patagonia. :p

@BolianAdmiral: Thanks! That's the chair from the Enterprise-B, I had done it for the Nomad and Starscream wanted it here. I'm really proud of that chair, it was the first element I ever tried to copy precisely from the original.

I've changed the walls color to be veeery slightly blueish. They are blueish on Voyager, but here the effect is very dim, only noticeable once you know it's there.

Also, the Tactical station has been added behind the Captain, as well as a viewscreen (which is smaller than the old one in order to preserve our pilot's eyesight :lol:), and I've changed the two wall displays at each side of the aft section to have a small cutout in them, similar to that on Voyager's Tactical and Ops stations. Oh, and the doors are also labeled now.

c1_02_by_rekkert-dbjcbe9.png
    c2_01_by_rekkert-dbjcber.png
    Rekkert wrote: »
    That's the chair from the Enterprise-B, I had done it for the Nomad and Starscream wanted it here. I'm really proud of that chair, it was the first element I ever tried to copy precisely from the original.

Always thought the seat cushioning looked a bit "Voyager-era" when it was on the Ent-B; you did a perfect job on it that does justice to the original. :thumb:
    I've changed the walls color to be veeery slightly blueish. They are blueish on Voyager, but here the effect is very dim, only noticeable once you know it's there.

Good move! Could never be sure myself if that was the actual material color, or if it was more because of the amount of episodes they ended up dimming the lights :rolleyes:
    Also, the Tactical station has been added behind the Captain, as well as a viewscreen (which is smaller than the old one in order to preserve our pilot's eyesight :lol:), and I've changed the two wall displays at each side of the aft section to have a small cutout in them, similar to that on Voyager's Tactical and Ops stations. Oh, and the doors are also labeled now.

Doors and rear stations are looking awesome! As are the reduced heights on the station surrounds. :)

I wonder, have we gone too far into Voyager's style with the tactical panel? Perhaps a simpler wedge shape might work better (like a miniature Conn console without the curve)... Thoughts, everyone?

I hadn't realised how much space there is to the sides of the new viewscreen! I'd still like the "plant ons" from the Battle Bridge screen above and below if possible (even if a full screen at the bottom isn't viable), and I think something like the displays to either side would be a good idea to fill that space:

screen2-battlebridge1-encounteratfarpoint.jpg

Guess I'd better nix the idea of putting the plaque up front :lol:
    111835.jpg
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I just popped in from TrekBBS to say how awesome this looks! I love the work on the Quasar too! :flippy:
    Glad you like it Homer! Rekkert is doing an awesome job interpreting my mental ramblings and putting together a solid design. :)
    @Starscream: I'm glad you're liking it so far! :)

@homerpalooza67: Thank you very much! :)

I've worked on the consoles at the back of the bridge, they're a mix between the freestanding TNG console and the enclosed Voyager console now. I've also added some covered isolinear banks behind these stations.

c5_16_by_rekkert-dbjmsko.png
    c5_17_by_rekkert-dbjmsl3.png
    Oh, sweet! I love the hybrid console style, as well as those VOY-like isolinear banks!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Nice work!