Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1114 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,560Member
    Starscream wrote: »
    Yeah, the lighter metal would definitely not work! :lol: I suspect though that if you went with the standard bulkhead grey used elsewhere, then the black of the viewscreen itself should draw enough attention - bearing in mind plenty other bridges need no such emphasis. :) Hey, speaking of other bridges: Have you thought about having moving blinkies like so many others do?

Maybe the Ahwahnee was simply a later production run; since as you say the Nebula-class numbers originate in the 60000s and this looks to be slightly older if the nacelles are any indication.

I sometimes forget just how small the Cheyennes are...

I thought about blinkies, but I really didn't want to modify the Sutherland-style screen too much, as I really love the look. The version you see here was one of three options Rekkert showed me, which I liked the best - it provided something with light and color, adding a splash of visual interest to the viewscreen, without detracting from the rest of the look.

My big fear with this, was that being so cramped a bridge, it would be REALLY easy to overdo things, and make it look way too busy. As much as I wanted to keep adding stuff, I had to keep in mind that the finished version would be full of LCARS displays, too... so that would add to the visual activity going on. I wanted a feeling of cramped, without one of sensory overload.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Technically there is one blinking light on the viewscreen area. If we assume the small screens below function as in the 'Parallels' Enterprise, the middle screen has a light going on and off.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I'd never noticed that little blinkie before! :lol:
    That bridge was supposed to be for an Ambassador Class, I wanted it to be a mix of what we saw in the Ent-C with the Excelsior, hence the doors at the back.

Ah, I think I understand the scaling issue a bit more then - at the size of the Enterprise-B you'd be able to fit probably another 4 of those console segments in...
    As for the dark grey on the columns, keep in mind that all the screens will add a lot more light to the bridge, particularly the aft section, so those columns will look brighter once the LCARS are added.

I'm coming at it from more of a "what feels right for the era" - these elements of darker metal look like an anachronism to me, as TNG era bridges (certainly those put together on more than a shoestring!) seemed to eliminate the cold metal surfaces of the past... ;)
    And on the Cheyenne registry numbers, indeed most likely the only seen ship in canon was a latter production model, while the original run with the USS Cheyenne was probably on the 5XXXX. After all, the Springfield-Class uses the same nacelles and the Chekov had the registry NCC-57302.

Yup, my thoughts exactly! :thumb:

I'd never realised those support struts were actually empty space inside; what a bizarre idea by the Brattain set builders... :confused:
    @Starscream: You're right about most TNG designs eliminating metal elements, though the Sutherland, which is a big inspiration for this design, has them in abundance, and it's what's being replicated here, particularly on the viewscreen area. Being such a large portion of the bridge, it feels unbalanced to have the front be completely metal and no other metalic details present on the back, so the columns balance it out a bit in my view as well.

I've added textures to the materials now that everything's UV mapped, and started working on the LCARS.

c2_02_by_rekkert-dbhp22e.pngc5_18_by_rekkert-dbhp17n.png
    Oh, wow, that MSD is looking GREAT! And I love the carpet texture!
    Fair enough; as I said the trend doesn't apply to the "shoestring" Bridges, of which the Sutherland set was definitely one - maybe the Cheyennes were built on a budget! :lol: For what it's worth, I think your Galatea screen would have worked exceptionally well on that wall.

Of course, Sutherland also had some nicely unusual features, such as the isolinear banks and simple side consoles - both I'd thought would look good in a "proper" Galaxy-style bridge, and of course you've already done the isolinear banks successfully! :)

The LCARS displays are coming on nicely, as usual! :thumb:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    I see what you mean about the dome light. The green light was an odd choice in that bridge as well.
    @BolianAdmiral: :D

Starscream: Thanks! Yeah I love the Sutherland, it's so uncomfortable looking and unique :lol:

Vortex5972: Yeah, the green and orange were weird, however due to the set lighting equipment it didn't overwhelm the Brattain bridge. Of course for a 3D model with realistic illumination only coming from the supposed lights of the bridge... they would look awful :lol:

I've finished the MSD and moved to several other areas of the aft consoles. I'm basing the arrangement mostly on the Relay Station 47 set, which is the only instance where this console was used with TNG style LCARS (as far as I could tell).

c5_18_by_rekkert-dbht87s.png
    I want to push all the buttons! :p Everything looks great!
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann615 Posts: 1,275Member
    xcBVvCJ.png
    Rekkert wrote: »
    Starscream: Thanks! Yeah I love the Sutherland, it's so uncomfortable looking and unique :lol:
    Hahaha too true! :D And I think that's what best suited the script - i.e, cramped, claustrophobic, tension-inducing (submarine-esque). It was merely that the model used for the Sutherland exterior was unsuitable. Ideally it should have been something like a small, sensor-laden vessel, rather than a full ship of the line...
    I'm basing the arrangement mostly on the Relay Station 47 set, which is the only instance where this console was used with TNG style LCARS (as far as I could tell).

Your engineering display is looking sweet, what I can see of it! I like those nacelles :)

I think they had the right idea merging the various panels into one unobstructed surface for RS47 - looks more "TNG" versus the original version, which was ideal for ST:VI era Okudagrams.

As I recall, these stations also got split down the middle later on, for use in the Pasteur. Did we see them ever again after TNG, anyone?
    @BolianAdmiral: Hahaha, you'll have to wait for me to finishing up installing them. :p

@BlueNeumann: Yeah? They aren't chairs either, but go and try to tell that to Riker. :lol:

@Starscream: I didn't show the entire engineering display because it wasn't finished. :D Now that you mention the fact that they merged them for RS47, it's funny, if you look closely at the image I posted, you can see that all they did was print a large LCARS display and stick it on top of the three separate consoles. At the bottom of the display you can see the shape of the three consoles standing out. :lol:

I've finished the row of small monitors and the aforementioned main engineering screen. I've started work on the lower consoles but they're still in progress, I have to modify the UV maps slightly there.

c5_19_by_rekkert-dbhuwul.png
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Dude, you're really making me want to do something from the Next Gen era so that I can make a bridge for it. :D
    Now that you mention the fact that they merged them for RS47, it's funny, if you look closely at the image I posted, you can see that all they did was print a large LCARS display and stick it on top of the three separate consoles. At the bottom of the display you can see the shape of the three consoles standing out. :lol:

I too noticed that, however looking at the actual LCARS there doesn't appear to be a break in the backlighting - only the panel at 45' has a sufficient black unlit area in the corresponding position.

I suspect that while they did do an overlay (ie, a slightly larger black plexiglass cover) over the existing panels, they also removed some of them where feasible, to allow for no break in the backlighting - certainly on the lowermost "control" displays, and possibly on the vertical "monitor" displays also. So what we can see is part of the leftover divider that wasn't cut out. :)
    Rekkert; wow, man... I really love how this is looking! The bridge is really coming to life now!
    @evil_genius_180: hahaha, I would love to see what you can come up with!

@Starscream: Yeah, I don't know what they did, but their sloppy work was revealed thanks to the power of HD. :lol:

@BolianAdmiral: Indeed, it's almost ready! :D

I wanted to take a break from the consoles so I moved to the top and side displays for a bit. :lol:

c5_20_by_rekkert-dbhwcmq.png
    Niiiiiice!
    Thanks! :)

Ok, a lot of behind the scene changes happened today. Because of some lighting suggestions made by Joe Ralat on the thread over at TrekBBS, I went down a rabbit hole and ended up changing everything. :lol: TL;DR: A lot of materials and lighting changes on Blender, everything looks far more realistic now.

One of the disadvantages of being self taught is that sometimes I miss something that for everybody else in the industry is very obvious. In this case, I wasn't using Fresnel (aka how light bounces off stuff at a higher intensity when seen at a shallow angle) on my materials, and just when I was about to just add it in, I read that the next version of Blender will include a new type of material called principled material. These new materials not only automatically include Fresnel calculations in them, but also are PBR (physically based rendering) materials. In layman terms they behave a lot more realistically on any environment without having to 'cheat' by adding lights or stuff like that.

Anyway, this new material (which funnily enough was developed by Disney for Wreck it Ralph, and then added to Blender by community members) is already available in the test branch of Blender, so I moved over to that. I changed all my non emitting materials to principled, and everything is nicer now.

But wait, there's more! The new version of Blender also adds some denoising filters for low resolution renders (the type I use for my 'in progress' shots), making them look a more clear and better lit. This won't affect my final renders as they have a lot more render samples and already look crisp without any cheating filter, but for the everyday render, it's an amazing addition.

And I also came across a new color management encoder which drastically increases the dynamic range of the renders, making for far more realistic illumination without burning out objects near the light source.

So, a lot of changes, here's a before shot on Blender 2.78:
    c1_09_by_rekkert-dbhxypq.png

And here's the same shot on the 2.79 test build:
    c1_11_by_rekkert-dbhy6bl.png
    As you can see, object materials now look a lot more realistic, as can be seen most notably on the reflections added on the Conn/Ops stations and the captain's consoles, as well as on the fabric of the chairs. I had to tweak every single light source and I'll keep experimenting with the new material type but I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

What do you guys think? Does it look better to you as well, or is it just my delusional mind after spending 4 hours tweaking values on material nodes? :lol:
    Hmmm, it certainly looks improved where the walls are concerned, but other elements aren't faring quite as well: The lighting sources have all lost intensity, and the glow from the conn/ops lighting on the carpet doesn't look as accurate - possibly also due to the carpet itself, which now looks a little like rippled plastic...
  • FANGsFANGs414 Posts: 79Member
    I really love it! You are throwing beautiful lcars designs at me, even faster than I can push like-buttons. (shame on me)
    Because of you, I am trying to work with Inkscape for UIs (so far I like it, while I still have sooo much to learn).
    I don't like to do 2d vektor stuff as much as 3d modelling, but after years without, I'm making this step. Thanks for that inspiration!
    Aside from the noise, (which can be dealt with) I like the 2.78 render better. The 2.79 one seems too bright to me. It's almost like the ambient occlusion is too high in the 2.79 one, making the materials look very plastic to me. Also, the glowing objects look less like actual light sources in 2.79. Just my opinion, of course.
    I think evil_genius put it better than I did. :)
    FANGs: Thank you very much, I'm always glad to be able to inspire someone! :) Yeah I don't like it as much as modeling but I do like both very much, and find that alternating between them can be very productive in order to avoid burning out. Of course if you need any help with some particular stuff let me know! :)

Well, after seeing the reaction and experimenting a bit more, I've went back to using the old materials and color management. I'm still using 2.79 as it has some very useful bug fixes, and I did apply Fresnel to most materials anyway, so they do look a bit better, but far more like they did before, and the lights don't appear to be washing over everything anymore.
    c1_10_by_rekkert-dbi12ug.png

Other than that, I've finished the aft consoles, so the LCARS are almost completely done. :D
    c5_22_by_rekkert-dbi12ut.png

And I realized I didn't post it before, so here's the MSD graphic:
    uss_zodiac___master_systems_display_by_rekkert-dbi0qcf.png
    Oh, wow... absolutely beautiful! The bridge looks alive now! And thank you so much for posting the MSD graphic! :D
    I think 2.79 plus the materials you had before is a winner. There are some issues with the 2.78 render for sure that 2.79 still fixes, even without the material change. That latest shot of the "viewscreen angle" render looks great. :thumb:

You do an awesome job on those graphics, they look great. :)
    Definitely improved!! Nice work :)
    Thanks! :)

@evil_genius_180: I did change the materials somewhat to use Fresnel, so that's why they're slightly different now.

I've done the last LCARS graphics for the aft side of the bridge, as well as on the racks at the side of the viewscreen:

c5_24_by_rekkert-dbi5x9g.png
    c1_11_by_rekkert-dbi5xa7.png
    c5_23_by_rekkert-dbi5bi6.png
    Holy God, those look nice! I love how everything turned out!
    @evil_genius_180: I did change the materials somewhat to use Fresnel, so that's why they're slightly different now.

It looks great, better than your previous renders. :thumb:

The whole bridge looks fantastic. The modeling, the colors, the materials, and of course those fantastic displays. I really like these smaller "utility" style bridges.
    Thank you! :D

Here are some final, HD renders of the bridge. As always, a cutaway graphic will follow shortly.

uss_zodiac_bridge__1_by_rekkert-dbi9fof.pnguss_zodiac_bridge__2_by_rekkert-dbi9fom.pnguss_zodiac_bridge__3_by_rekkert-dbi9fpd.png