Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I think I'll forever be mystified as to why people actively choose vomit-colored LCARS... ;)

Overall it's looking great - certainly feels like one of the "cleanest" bridges so far Rekkert. With all the teal and the blue labels it'd make an ideal Nebula-class medical ship! :D
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann634 Posts: 1,290Member
    I love that LCARS colour scheme, it's very nostalgic... and glowy. Having said that, I wonder if it could be redesigned/rearranged in a way that's a bit more organized without looking blocky, you know what I'm saying? The colours have to indicate something... the designs make sense, visually, but I can't tell if the colour assignment does.
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Attachment not found.

OK this is the USS Galaxy's dedication plaque for the bridge!
  • RekkertRekkert4100 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,310Member
    @evil_genius_180: Thank you! :)

@Starscream: Indeed it looks very sterile with this color combination, ideal for a medical ship. However I still have to add some elements to the design, such as weapon lockers, those are NOT ideal in a medical ship. :lol:

@BlueNeumann: Regarding the colors, well, I've taken what each color means from TNG (even if the colors are different, the relations between them are the same). Other than having one color for the titles or one predominant color for the borders, there's not as much cohesion in these kind of LCARS as there is in latter styles such as the one seen on the Enterprise-E.

@Rusty0918: I'm not able to see the attachment. :confused:

I've done the new LCARS for the tactical console, and added access keypads to all doors.

c5_11_by_rekkert-dbmtowx.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great job on the tactical displays and keypads. :)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @Rusty0918: I'm not able to see the attachment. :confused:

Same here.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1117 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,570Member
    Interesting choice, to put the door keypads on the bridge doors. Are you going to keep the isolinear alcoves on the CONN and OPS consoles? Also, are the LCARS colors going to change, or is this the scheme of choice?
    OK here's the dedication plaque again:

uss_galaxy_dedication_plaque_by_rusty0918-dbmtul3.jpg.

@BolianAdmiral - yes I do want the isolinear chip stuff on the Conn/Ops/Secondary console supports. I asked Rekkert specifically for these. And I chose the LCARS template based off of your choices.

@Rekkert - the port secondary command console should have Conn style LCARS, not Ops style LCARS.
    I don't know if I'd have a door button panel beside the emergency turbolift to the Battle Bridge, seeing as how I doubt anyone would need to "wait" for the emergency turbolift in a crisis situation. As always, just my own opinion. Everything looks good so far. :)
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    @BolianAdmiral - yes I do want the isolinear chip stuff on the Conn/Ops/Secondary console supports. I asked Rekkert specifically for these. And I chose the LCARS template based off of your choices.

Isolinear bays are never a bad thing :D

Honestly, IMHO (and beyond just my general distaste for the pink & oranges) the LCARS look both at odds with the overall color scheme, and with the timeframe. Early LCARS were more of a blue/green/desaturated mustard kinda combination in TNG, before brighter and more colorful variants were later introduced.

If you're going to stick with them though, can I suggest switching the mustard out for a lighter orange? That looks to be the element that least works, and no offense to BolianAdmiral but it's what makes the "vomit" effect to my mind. :)
    @Rekkert - the port secondary command console should have Conn style LCARS, not Ops style LCARS.

That is a Conn display, isn't it? Or have you swaped over the forward stations' functions?

Rekkert pfft, they could hold emergency medkits for all we know... :D Very intrigued as to where you'll be putting those lockers!
    Starscream wrote: »
    Isolinear bays are never a bad thing :D

Honestly, IMHO (and beyond just my general distaste for the pink & oranges) the LCARS look both at odds with the overall color scheme, and with the timeframe. Early LCARS were more of a blue/green/desaturated mustard kinda combination in TNG, before brighter and more colorful variants were later introduced.

If you're going to stick with them though, can I suggest switching the mustard out for a lighter orange? That looks to be the element that least works, and no offense to BolianAdmiral but it's what makes the "vomit" effect to my mind. :)

That is a Conn display, isn't it? Or have you swaped over the forward stations' functions?

Rekkert pfft, they could hold emergency medkits for all we know... :D Very intrigued as to where you'll be putting those lockers!

Starscream - I don't really have a problem with the LCARS myself. I did have the Conn/Ops swapped positions - somehow I have a thing for the Conn being on the port side as opposed to the starboard side (as often seen in TNG). I was talking about the console directly to the left of the command chair - both secondary command consoles have Ops-style LCARS, I was asking Rekkert to put Conn-style LCARS on the swing-out station right to the left of the command chair.
    Yes, I know - that's why I asked if the forward stations had been swapped over, as that's the only way what you were saying could have made sense :lol:
    Yes, I know - that's why I asked if the forward stations had been swapped over, as that's the only way what you were saying could have made sense :lol:

As with the LCARS, I mean, I had been thinking about what you said in regards to color schemes. Who is to say LCARS can't have color options like they do on Windows? I was thinking about TNG-style LCARS but using the okudagram color schemes used on the Enterprise-A bridges in Treks IV, V, and VI (which in turn have been used up to the mid-24th century). I'm not sure what Rekkert thinks of the idea. Might go better with the minty Galaxy bridge.
    Haha, yeah now I've changed the LCARS to use the Ops display, I just didn't got around to it before as it was just the mirrored console.

Here's the LCARS using the TMP style of colors, with blue for the borders and green for titles. I believe it's a little too much, at least without some heavy recoloring and using more opaque colors, not the exact same ones.

c1_06_by_rekkert-dbmx2zr.png
    c5_12_by_rekkert-dbmx307.png

Just for the sake of it, and given how quickly I can change these colors, I did a version using the early TNG palet. Given the opaque blues and yellowish greens here, it does fit in better with the design in my opinion, even though I agree with Rusty in that LCARS probably can be customized Windows style (ahem, more likely Linux DE style :lol:).

c1_07_by_rekkert-dbmx30v.pngc5_13_by_rekkert-dbmx31f.png
    Ok let's go with early TNG color template for LCARS.
    Rusty0918 wrote: »
    Ok let's go with early TNG color template for LCARS.

I agree, that looks best. The TMP colors were too much blue and green.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    (ahem, more likely Linux DE style :lol:).

You got that right. :)
  • BlobVanDamBlobVanDam0 Posts: 0Member
    It's amazing how much the LCARS colours can change the entire feel of the bridge, as much as the colours of the rest of the bridge. They all look good to me, it just depends on what feel you're going for.
    @Rusty0918: Will do! :)

@evil_genius_180: Yeah the TMP colors just by themselves were too much IMO.

@BlobVanDam: Yeah, a lot about the aesthetics of the design just come down to the LCARS colors, it's pretty cool to see a design completely transformed just by these.

I've changed the upper section of the aft consoles to use the more rounded light fixture featured in TNG since season 2. I've also started modifying the LCARS for the Engineering station as to integrate the side panel, notice that the title ENGINEERING is moved to the left side of the console.

c5_13_by_rekkert-dbmycz0.png
    Those early TNG LCARS definitely do the trick! :thumb: I suspected the TMP era ones would be a bit too bold; the only way you could get those too work would be to desaturated them substantially.
    Those early TNG LCARS definitely do the trick! :thumb: I suspected the TMP era ones would be a bit too bold; the only way you could get those too work would be to desaturated them substantially.

Agreed. When I saw it, it also just seemed a bit much, which is why I went with the early TNG LCARS.

On another note, Starscream and BolianAdmiral, have you two had the chance to look at "Sound of the Shiant" yet? (the first "TNG - The Galaxy Chronicles" installment)
    I did, though I've only gotten a fraction of the way through it. I've some notes on it so far though, so will drop you a msg when I get time to sit down properly at the computer! :)
    I've finished the LCARS on the aft consoles (that Engineering station gave a lot of work), and played around with the materials a bit. Nothing big, but the fabrics used (on walls of the door alcoves and the aft chairs and on the Captain's chair) are now a bit more realistic in the way they reflect light, and I did some minor modifications to the carpets as well.

c5_15_by_rekkert-dbn6elj.pngc1_05_by_rekkert-dbn6el8.png
    That looks awesome. The consoles I once thought were a bad idea are now perfectly placed, and the colors look fantastic. This is rapidly turning into one of my favorite bridges you've done.
    Beautiful! Really nice job there (as usual!).

The one thing I'd suggest is that the upper panels over the rear consoles be a little metallic (or was it only Generations that that was done?)
    I do have another request about this bridge and I forgot to mention it - if possible. In front of Conn and Ops, I was thinking along the lines of an emergency hatch that opens up to the deck below in case the crew need to flee the bridge (hull breach or whatnot) and the turbolifts don't work. Gotta think things through!
    @evil_genius_180: Thanks! The consoles do grow on you. We aren't used to them being there, but they do look good after a while.

@Starscream: Thanks! Yeah, those metallic bits were only on Generations.

@Rusty0918: Sure, there's no problem with that, it's pretty easy to add, I'll get to it. Regarding the 'think things through' bit, I find it that sometimes there's a balance to play there between 'adding functionality' and 'adding today's functionality', keeping in mind that this ship launches in more than 350 years. That's a long time for things to change shape or function, not to mention having completely new technologies we haven't even imagined come lo life and leave today's equipment obsolete. One of the main issues I have with Trek is when writers just imagine things as they are today, hence making the show/movie look dated just a few decades later. Sci-Fi not only means new worlds and new technologies on the macro level (such as FTL travel and transporter), but also on the small scale, less drastic level, on the details.

Anyway, back to the model at hand, the two lateral panels are now done:

c5_16_by_rekkert-dbn8e7z.pngc5_17_by_rekkert-dbn8e5z.png
    Nice work. Love the yellow Galaxy-Class profiles on the coffee dispenser. The only thing I would suggest is to increase the brightness of the commissioning plaque slightly, as it looks really dark as it now.
    Yep, it all looks great.
    A little something - a commission by Jetfreak-7 showing the USS Galaxy departing Seunta IV, this is from the end of the "Star Trek: The Next Geneartion - The Galaxy Chronicles" - "Sound of the Shiant."

galaxydeparts_by_jetfreak_7-dbna23l.png
    @BolianAdmiral: Thanks! Yeah, I still have to play a bit more with the plaque to make it look good with these light levels.

@evil_genius_180: :D

@Rusty0918: That looks great, I love his work! By the way, I've been experimenting a bit with the weapons lockers. Do you want them to be exactly the version seen in DS9, or can I create my own version? I want to take some inspiration from lockers we actually saw inside Starfleet vessels.

The Captain's chair LCARS are done!

c5_18_by_rekkert-dbnbijn.png
    Dude, I love those chair textures. It's nice to finally see those up close. :)