Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DX-Wing

• stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    I think I am in love with this model. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    He said let there be light, and there was, and it was good. Damned good in fact.

:lol:

Cool, I think you might need to shift the colour of that light across to a more red/magenta colour, but it isn't far off. looking forward to seeing it with the flares in place.

I'd watch out though, sounds like Stfanboy wants to do naughty things to your model, I'd keep an eye on that one.

:p
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It looks fantastic. I really like the way you did the engine lights.
    stfanboy wrote: »
    I think I am in love with this model. :D

Who isn't? :D
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    LOL thanks (I think)!

@TALON_UK: I was going to add the red with the flares - if you watch the original ANH Death Star Battle (pre-SE) you can see that the engines are incandescent (yellowish) when they don't add the glow (you can especially see it in the shots when you see the ships from the side where the illumination from the lights in the engines is visible, without the glow), I was going to do the same. :)
    Aaah cool, well I look forward to seeing the final results.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Beautiful! I know people(the old crew) like the red flares...but,..honestly.. I think I prefer the magenta in the SE. It just looks better? I don't know- I just like it.
    Beautiful! I know people(the old crew) like the red flares...but,..honestly.. I think I prefer the magenta in the SE. It just looks better? I don't know- I just like it.

I'm torn, sometimes I prefer the red, other times, the more magenta SE - depends on my mood I guess. :)

Here's R2 in his current state - he's not meant to be seen anywhere near this close:

R2.jpg

He'll turn into the other domes R2 units pretty easily, but maybe I'll do some of the other non-domed "astrodroids" (R5-, etc.) as well, for variety. I went so dirty so that he didn't stick out so much from the rest of the ship, and because I imagine that there's lots of grease, oil, and "space dirt" flying around out there. :lol:
    109330.jpg
    R2.jpg 241.9K
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work mate, loving the attention to detail :)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Again. This is beautiful work ,Terry.:)
    You know, for a droid that's not meant to be seen anywhere near that close, he looks closeup ready. :D
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    You know, for a droid that's not meant to be seen anywhere near that close, he looks closeup ready. :D

I agree. It's the same for the rest of the ship too. You can almost see the finger prints. JK :D
    Absolutely awesome work there fella.

:thumb:
    Wiz wrote: »
    Amazing work mate, loving the attention to detail :)

Thanks Wiz, much appreciated!
    Again. This is beautiful work ,Terry.:)

Too kind. :)

Haha thanks, still some things that I'd want to fix on him, might circle back after I get to some of the other things on the ship.
    stfanboy wrote: »
    I agree. It's the same for the rest of the ship too. You can almost see the finger prints. JK :D

That's because I was eating chicken wings while I was making it. :)
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Absolutely awesome work there fella.

Thank you, as always!

I'm almost finished with the styrene chips (wow, tedious :) ) and the non-mirrored details on the wings, I should have something to show soon.
  • ArmondikovArmondikov0 Posts: 0Member
    stonky wrote: »
    Haha thanks, still some things that I'd want to fix on him, might circle back after I get to some of the other things on the ship.

Getting in there with a sculpting tool and adding in the dings and paint chips, presumably? I can't see what else you could do with it!
    Yeah, among other things. :) There's some of that stuff going on already but it's not very apparent at the moment.
    In the interests of keeping the thread alive, a small update:

I've started to replace the mirrored wing details, added the styrene chips to the wings, and varied the canon textures so that they're not all striped. I still need to add the chips to the fuselage as well as making some other tweaks that I've been wanting to do:

xwing_styrene_chips.jpg

More to come!
    109583.jpg
    It's looking fantastic. It looks like you're close to being done. :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I guess the union rates for repainting the x-wings was more than the rebels could afford :p
    Great job!
    Awesome, loving it.

Thanks all! Yeah, the rebels don't spend a lot on paint these days. :) Outside of the updates to the fuselage there's a bunch of other stuff that I'd like to address, including additions to the cockpit, and a pilot obviously. :)
  • Greeble_GremlinGreeble_Gremlin331 Posts: 0Member
    WOW!

Just caught this thread, and quickly scanned thru it..
    I'm going to have go back and look at all this beautiful work in detail
    Been away for months (this time for all good reasons ..more on that after December)
    Leave it you you, Stonky ;for having a project that catches my eye on this board.

Truly nice version of this subject! , Looks Like Mike Verta's X-wing is going to have to share the spot-light.;)
    Refresh my memory, what Software app you're using on this project?? ( apart from UVLayout)
    (sorry if that's already been covered earlier in the the thread)

I may have missed it -curious what the poly count is?
    It shows that you have a lot of the original donor kits ( I know them all to well)
    If you're half as good with an airbrush as you are with a Stylus pen, I'd love to see you paint up one of Mike Salzo "Analog" X-wings

Keep up the good work!
    Hey there, good to see you again!

Wow, high praise, thank you! It's been a lot of fun, and still lots to do: adding more stuff, tweaking the work that's already there, switching out the mirrored engine intake cans, Red 5 variation, etc. You're right, it helps to have a bunch of the donor kits on hand for reference - luckily a lot of the parts are repeated (Saturn tubes/engine intake details, Sealab parts, etc.). A lot of caliper measurements and long-lens photographs went into modeling those parts, as rough as they might seem. :) That said, I tried not to go TOO nuts with details in the donor parts.

I honestly don't know what the polycount is - I'll check when I get home. For software I jumped in and out of a bunch of packages - maya, houdini, modo, photoshop, substance painter, substance designer, mari, uvlayout (obviously). Rendered in houdini using the native renderer, mantra.

I actually have one of the old CC kits in a box somewhere but never got around to building it - I'm very tempted to get a v4 now though. I got my start in practical models but it's been awhile now since I've picked up a brush to do anything other than a simple test or to measure a paint color against a macbeth chart. I do miss it getting my hands dirty!

Thanks again, you're too kind - I'm looking forward to hearing about what it is that has kept you so busy recently. Keep in touch!
    Looks like it's about 320 000 polys, give or take.

wire.jpg
    109589.jpg
    wire.jpg 355.3K
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Nice. I thought it would've been much higher given the detail, lol. But I guess with mostly flat surfaces, one can limit the amount of polys.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    That sounds about right, given the size of the ship and the details. Great model, as always. :thumb:
  • Greeble_GremlinGreeble_Gremlin331 Posts: 0Member
    hey,
    Thanks for the info, love the wireframe! ( always cool to see whats under the Hood)
    I always like to hear about ( and see) all behinds the scenes work that make up a final good CgI mesh.
    I also like seeing the build -up process in analog models too

I am little "relieved" to hear you used Maya & Modo for some of the modeling ( those I'm familiar with first_hand)
    I haven't yet played around with Houdini,(.. would like too) I know its a great package for SFX work, Fluid, Particle effects, dynamic kinetics etc.
    Also a powerful character rigging & animation tool set with it's node-based approach ( a lot like Soft Image was for character animation)
    of course that's your line o work! :cool:
    I hear however, Houdini is a "bear" for modeling, compared to other apps
    Mari is great for painting textures, using for (real-time) game-assets has really sped up my work flow

I noticed in some of the close-up shots, -it look like you're chamfer-ing the "hard" edges
    Are you doing that with the geometry? or are you doing it with a shader?
    Either way it really make those renders Pop! ..nice

Seeing these renders makes me want to sign up for that upcoming seminar on Houdini over at CGWorkshps
    Of course you make look easy

Sorry for the pesky questions

I always learn something new from your work... those tips on AGIsoft.. had opened up whole new set of tools in my arsenal..especially with all the reverse engineering 'been doing lately for Fabrication & 3D printing & prop gigs.
    Thank you, far too kind! Yes, EVERY edge is beveled/chamfered geometrically, including on all of the gack in the droidstrip, buttplate, R2, engines, wing details, styrene chips, etc. - that said, it reads as a hard corner in the closeup on R2, I'm going to fix the normals so that it shades as the smooth edge that it should. :) I think that, although it took forever, it makes a big difference in the final look.

More to come!
    Yeah, is definitely worth doing all that subtle chamfering, even if it doesn't register consciously that detail just tends to make things look more real and less CG, after all it is a very rare edge in the real world that is so perfect that there is no chamfered edge to soften it and catch the light. Cracking looking work as always.

Thank you!

Quick engine glow test (only 37 frames but you get the idea):

[video]

blink and you'll miss it. :)
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Very nice. Can't wait to see a squadron of these in an animation. :D

I highly recommend Real Glow, if you do your post effects in After Effects and want mathematically proper glow falloffs, without having to do the layered blur method. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro