Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DX-Wing

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Realistically, you wouldn't expect a big jet flame in space. Flames work entirely differently in zero gravity, to say nothing of no atmosphere. Flames are actually completely round in zero G, and they die out in seconds in no atmosphere. Also, there's no smoke in space. So, it seems to me that a simple light inside would actually create a realistic effect of an engine flame in space.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Works for me :)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    Realistically, you wouldn't expect a big jet flame in space. Flames work entirely differently in zero gravity, to say nothing of no atmosphere. Flames are actually completely round in zero G, and they die out in seconds in no atmosphere. Also, there's no smoke in space. So, it seems to me that a simple light inside would actually create a realistic effect of an engine flame in space.

Star Wars = realistic ... c'mon ...

it has to be looking good not "realistic" :P

I like the engineglow ILM did for the special edition ... thats the way I did mine :)
    ChrisGFX wrote: »
    Star Wars = realistic ... c'mon ...

it has to be looking good not "realistic" :P

I like the engineglow ILM did for the special edition ... thats the way I did mine :)

Well, even the glows they did for the Special Edition don't have a big flame coming out the back while it's in space. So, it's still realistic in that aspect. ;)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Whoa, wait! Star Wars isn't realistic?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, apparently you can't hear stuff in space and this chap called Newton did some physics stuff, but I don't believe it for a second.

:p
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    Did somebody say "variants?" :) Cuz I was just thinking this would look cool in Imperial markings. Not that it doesn't look cool as is; it does!
    I believe he just means markings for the different fighters in the squadron (different numbers of stripes on the 'S' Foils) and different dirt weathering and panel painting details to help differentiate between different ships so they don't all look identical. Though a CoreSec green one for fans of the EU Rogue Squadron books and comics would be nice for fans of that.
    He could also do a blue variant, as a nod to the original novel and script. Damn blue screen filming anyway. ;)
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    I believe he just means markings for the different fighters in the squadron (different numbers of stripes on the 'S' Foils) and different dirt weathering and panel painting details to help differentiate between different ships so they don't all look identical. Though a CoreSec green one for fans of the EU Rogue Squadron books and comics would be nice for fans of that.

What he said, except for the green EU stuff. :)

A "blue" would be cool, the original Red 2 paint job!
    He could also do a blue variant, as a nod to the original novel and script. Damn blue screen filming anyway. ;)

stonky wrote: »
    What he said, except for the green EU stuff. :)

A "blue" would be cool, the original Red 2 paint job!

Well The Force Awakens is correcting that wrong to some extent with their new blue Resistance X-Wing.
    Not much has changed here in terms of texturing (lots that I want to fix here), I just thought that this was a neat image:

buttplate2.jpg

I'm hoping to plow through a bunch of it this weekend.
    109233.jpg
    Gotta love that DOF. Really does a great job of highlighting that detail at your focal point. Excellent looking model man.

:thumb:
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Gotta love that DOF. Really does a great job of highlighting that detail at your focal point. Excellent looking model man.

Yeah, all of that. :)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Terry, now that you have achieved such incredible texturing skills will you be applying these same skills to some of your other stuff? I would love to see that scout walker completed.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    stonky wrote: »
    Not much has changed here in terms of texturing (lots that I want to fix here), I just thought that this was a neat image:
    Allow me to help eliminate any doubt. It is indeed a very neat image! Beautiful work!
    Thanks all!
    Terry, now that you have achieved such incredible texturing skills...

LOL I wish. :lol:

Yeah, maybe I'll come back to some of the older stuff - the AT-ST would require a lot of work but it'd be fun. :) The AT-AT would be a nice challenge too.

"Droid strip":

droid_strip_wip.jpg

droid_strip_wip2.jpg

I guess R2 is probably next (he's still clean in this image) or maybe the lit engines, before I start to circle back to fix and fine tune. The cockpit is still just a super simple version of the studio scale cockpit so that might deserve some love as well (illuminated lights, etc.).

Again, thanks all, far too kind. :notworthy:
    109249.jpg109250.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Dude. That is awesome.

Sort of makes me think you are cheating- taking pics of a physical model!:)
    Fantastic, the weathering you have on there is first rate, am really quite taken aback by how good this looks, great work.

• stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    Awesome work Stonky! Could you by chance put this bad boy into cruise mode with the strike foils closed? :D
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Loving the progress on this mate, fantastic!
    Thanks all!

@stfanboy: I'll post a closed wing version when I get the chance, although until I replace the mirrored wings with the real thing the details on the back under the engines are going to crash through each other :)

Not a lot has changed here, just those panel things that sit between the wings:

internal_wing_panels.jpg

More to come!
    109262.jpg
    It's looking fantastic. :thumb:
    Thanks!

Closed wings:

closed_wing.jpg

The wings are still mirrored, etc., etc.
    109278.jpg
  • stfanboystfanboy67 Posts: 388Member
    OMG DUDE! That looks awesome. :o I've always liked the wings closed. You going to do the cockpit too? I really think you should. :thumb:
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    What's actually wrong with mirrored wings?
    stfanboy wrote: »
    OMG DUDE! That looks awesome. :o I've always liked the wings closed. You going to do the cockpit too? I really think you should. :thumb:

Thank you! Yeah, I've always liked the wings closed too! I don't know about the cockpit yet - right now it's just a simplified version of what's in the studio model, we'll see how it goes. :) I might just finish the cockpit as it exists on the filming miniatures, not the life size cockpit (but who knows, maybe I'll change my mind). That said, I like the notion of illuminated cockpit screens, etc., which wasn't in the filming model. I'm working on a pilot as well.
    wibble wrote: »
    What's actually wrong with mirrored wings?

The wings aren't the same - the details beside the engines front and back are different/reversed. If I were to do a render of the back with the wings closed you'd see the parts crashing through each other. :lol: I modeled them, I just need to switch them out. There are also tubes from the Sealab III kit that straddle the interior wing engine insert details on the bottom wings only that I need to get into there as well. The large engine cans are mirrored too, and I need to switch out two of them for the slightly different variant.
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Looking pretty nice!
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This does look lovely! It certainly looks like a physical model.
    Thank you!

Some preliminary work on R2, and lighting the engines (no flares, just lights at the moment):

rear_view.jpg
    109325.jpg