Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DX-Wing

stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
edited May 2016 in Work in Progress #1
X-Wing Fighter, something else that I've been working on recently. Panel lines and other small details will be created with displacement maps and texture detail (I'm uv'ing it now). The cockpit is incredibly simple at the moment, and is based on the original studio model cockpit. R2 is simple flat color and the "blue" details are very close to black by design, to better match the original studio colors. The "butt plate" is based on the more common arrangement, not the slightly different Red 5 configuration. Other details specific to each individual build were chosen simply based on personal taste. :) No pilot - yet.

More to come soon.
110660.jpg
Post edited by stonky on
Tagged:

• Vortex5972Vortex5972321 Posts: 1,202Member
    Damn, that's nice.
  • Bug 2000Bug 2000171 Posts: 0Member
    Hi.

Great work... the renders are a bit too dark:D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice! Always good to see this classic receive some love. A cracking smooth mesh you have there.

:thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking fantastic so far. :thumb:

Yeah, I remember the good ol' days, when R2's dome was practically black in the X-Wing, so as not to disappear when they keyed out the blue from the blue screen. It didn't work on the close shots, though. It still disappeared. ;)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    fixed the title
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    nice work btw, excellent details
  • BinkermanBinkerman0 Posts: 0Member
    Great Job ! .. :thumb:

Don't be a slacker ... Model the panel lines ...

Jas
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Thank you IRML, much appreciated! :)

Thanks all for the kind words, still lots to do.

@Bug 2000: thank you! Too dark? Hmm... I could brighten them a bit, keeping in mind that it's not white.

@Binkerman: thanks! LOL modeling panel lines, I went back and forth for a while, but landed on the lazy option. :)
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Really nice, I wonder how different the original X Wing and the one from the new movie will be? Keep up the great work.
    Binkerman wrote: »
    Don't be a slacker ... Model the panel lines ...

I had the same thought, I just didn't say it. ;)
    LOL wow people around here REALLY like modeled panel lines. :)

Classic pose:

classic.jpg
    108926.jpg
    Eh, whatever method works for you. Knowing your work, it will still look fantastic. I can just never get textured lines to look good enough to my eye, even when I do really high rez maps, which is mainly why I do modeled lines. But, I know some people don't have that issue. ;)

I love the classic pose.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Oddly enough, I was looking forward to a new W-Wing design ... before the typo was changed.

Nice job on a class ship! I've seen many of these come and go on this site, and yours is in with the best so far.
  • JennyJenny2 Posts: 0Member
    Lock S-Foils in attack position and model your panel lines!
    Sanderlee wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I was looking forward to a new W-Wing design ... before the typo was changed.

I was ready to Google it, until I saw it was a typo. I was like, "Hm, haven't heard of that one."
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    stonky wrote: »
    LOL wow people around here REALLY like modeled panel lines. :)

Geometry renders quicker and nicer than textures for panel lines.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    Modelled the gridlines on my X-Wing because I intended it to be able to stand in for a full sized X-Wing prop. But if you're replicating one of the smaller studio models and just want it for action shots I'd say modelled grid lines are probably overkill.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, you did an amazing job on this model! Very impressive!
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    love it!
    Thanks all!

I'm doing a test with the textured panel lines - if it turns out to be a disaster, I'll model them. :) One of the reasons that I'm tending towards textures is just the headaches that they'll cause when it comes to uv'ing the thing.

Here's my embarrassingly simple R2 (never meant to be seen this close, lots of details missing or simplified):

R2_D2.jpg

I'll get the lights working on it at some point, but they'll be understated, under-saturated, and fairly monochromatic - I don't want it to be a Christmas tree, he's not really the main point. :)
    108939.jpg
    Nice job on R2. He's got enough details for as closely as he'll normally be seen.
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, I think the R2 looks good even that close :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Indeed, that does not look too shabby at all.

:thumb:
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    great stuff! and yes ... you should model the panel lines, hey its fun ... I know what I'm talking about ;)

can't wait to see more :)
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Great model. Can't wait to see it textured and lit! :thumb:
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • SamuraiSamurai185 Posts: 408Member
    Looks good, but I wonder if you've considered modelling the panel lines...? :shiner:

Seriously, looking good- likewise Artoo.
    "Perfect. Then that's the way it shall be."
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    Oh come on, it's 2015 :D. I bet the poly budget for the lines wouldn't even come close to what's on the model already.
    Hahaha thanks all :) It's true, the panel lines would be a drop in the bucket in terms of poly count. I'm already deep into the uv's - the fuselage is trickier than it looks. You'd think that you can do top and bottom with a cut at the equator and be done with it, but I've had to make more cuts than I expected in order to really get it to flatten nicely, it's deceptively complex - I guess they weren't thinking about uv's when they first carved the buck out of wood. :) I have a layout that I think will work now, although I might rough a couple of geo panel line's into it and see if it makes the uv's a total nightmare - who knows, maybe it won't be that bad afterall. The wings are easy(ish) either way. Can't wait to paint!

Again, thanks all for the kind words!
    Yeah, I wouldn't figure that the fuselage would be that difficult. Obviously, I would be wrong. That's good information to have, thanks for sharing that.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't figure that the fuselage would be that difficult. Obviously, I would be wrong. That's good information to have, thanks for sharing that.

the fuselage is very difficult because of its different shapes ... here is my solution I was happy with:

uv_fuselage.jpg

but hey ... don't wanted to hijack this thread :)

I am very curious for the next steps

Chris
    108951.jpg