Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDaedalus Class starship

MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
edited September 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Taking liberties as per usual!
Mostly in size and ignoring those books about the ROM wars to some extent. I have been wanting to do one of these for some time now and given I am a bit miffed with that nx thing I decided some more TOS like work might get me motivated more.

Based off the doodles seen here:

One of the things that hurts my head is the size difference between these and a NX. 80 person crew on a 200+ m ship but the Daedalus is 230?! Canon is 105m yeah subs have heavy bunk counts but the difference is wtf. SO with this in mind I might be bumping mine off canon or speculative size (140m) to something like 250m. But I will start with 150m and see where that takes me girth wise in the sphere. I gotta have room fro the bridge and some ideas at the base of the bridge and if those wont fit the ship is going to grow.
Post edited by MadKoiFish on
Each day we draw closer to the end.
Tagged:

• PixelMagicPixelMagic471 Posts: 663Member
    Your ship designs/interpretations are some of the best I've ever seen. Can't wait to see this one.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Keep up the good work.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's nice to see you're finally doing one of these. It's definitely one of my favorite ships. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the design. :)
  • stephan_skastephan_ska171 Posts: 0Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Your ship designs/interpretations are some of the best I've ever seen. Can't wait to see this one.
    I second that ! Nothing more to say ;)

S.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    BTW, I like getting to see people's sketches.

I was trying to crack a Daed design myself after reading "Starfleet: Year One," I wanted to follow the design but make it look new and sleek instead of that 60s look. Make it look like a brand new contemporary design, streamlining the neck and wings and so on.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    This is awesome... I already love where this is going, and I just love seeing your concept sketches... very professional presentation!
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9830 Posts: 5,332Member
    Its a flying milk canteen. Those old metal ones.

Goofing with the bridge thinking maybe a start on a TOSish layout. The impulse on the ball I am not sure about atm, it would be part of a set though, likely not the only unit. Bussards are temp as much of the thing is atm, just working the ratios of all the bits and deciding if I really like where things join up.

It has bloated up to 540ft roughly 164m
    Beautiful! I never thought the Daedalus was all that big, until I saw your little scale figures on her.
    Well I have increased it to 164m over the 105 100 130 140 figures I saw online. Issues with most of these is cramming 230 crew onto it and space in areas of the ship just would not work without altering the shapes.

Updates from last night:

Biggest design issue at the moment is dealing with the neck join and the deflector clearance of the lower hull. Any higher up with the ball and itll start looking awkward. It is only the top maybe 1/4 of the dish that is obstructed. So the argument is to move it to the ball and just place a weapons array or other device here. I much prefer the deflector on the hull vs the ball but logic dictates the ball placement as optimal.
    Since I posted it elsewhere, alterations to the neck. It is a bit old now since I changed things about SOME. Also a front ortho showing what I mean about the deflector. I probably could lower those nacelles, many of the versions floating about as well as the original model had them very low.

HALF A MEG from max attachments so a PURGE will happen tonight, you are warned.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking good so far, Dan. I like what you're doing with the neck connection. :)
    Beautiful! I never thought the Daedalus was all that big, until I saw your little scale figures on her.

The exact size is one of those debated things. I've personally seen at least 3 or 4 different lengths, with each person who scaled it thinking they got it right. Bernd Schneider did an article debating the issue a few years ago.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    HALF A MEG from max attachments so a PURGE will happen tonight, you are warned.

Thanks... already saved. BTW, where are WIP images 3 and 4? I just noticed it skips from 2 to 5. :p
    They got outdated with new renders and never saw the light of day.

Here is a sample of the deflector in the ball. Ignore the material freakage it is due to all the chopping etc to get the hole in. Not sure how to deal with those docking ports atm so it is a fairly ugly cutout.
    Very nice. I kind of like the deflector on the ball. One option for the empty space where the deflector was before, would be to maybe make a thru-deck shuttlebay, but IDK... just throwing ideas out there.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    there's a heck of a lot of daedalus s on here at the moment, what is it a convention for starships with a ball at the front and some nacelles behind? the detail so far is quite good but the ship is a design i really do not like at all, spheres can make sense but if you have already defied physics enough to build an FTL,artificial gravity,seemingly reactionless drive craft then why bother with a sphere to make it plausible.
    there's a heck of a lot of daedalus s on here at the moment, what is it a convention for starships with a ball at the front and some nacelles behind? the detail so far is quite good but the ship is a design i really do not like at all, spheres can make sense but if you have already defied physics enough to build an FTL,artificial gravity,seemingly reactionless drive craft then why bother with a sphere to make it plausible.

Yeah 2 makes for a lot. If you do not like fed ships or the design why view the thread. I am not wasting my time to justify a canon design. There are plenty of articles and that sort of crap online that do it just as well. Nor will I just drop what I am doing to pander to your needs, wishes, and wants.

Now if you have crits based on the design take of the original concept I will be pleased to take it into consideration and interact with the comments/crits.
    Decided I will move forward with the central deflector. Sorta finished with house things just gotta do some installing of some crap and the evening is free, that or I put it off till tomorrow :flippy

The little nubs are where some missile tubes will be see these either as missiles torps or whatever depending on which history you want to follow. IE photonic torps, nukes, etc. I am considering some side facing tubes too on this "cap" But I am not sure what other doodads to add here. A large phaser turret would be cool just would have a fairly large blind spot. I could add a fusion crystal here or probably better a docking ring. Someone mentioned a fly through shuttle opening but I dunno if I have the room not to mention shifting the turbolift and internal conduits to allow this would be problematic. Not to mention the worst if that piolet is a moron they could fly right into the sensor cluster on the ball.

I do plan to have a fusion reactor central to the ball between the sensor cluster and the main computer core. All of which run centrally to the ball vertically. Labs and quarters will ring these in the outer hull. I will have labs and other rooms in the secondary but most of that will be the A/M core and sundries related to the ship itself. I have no plans to mount any torp or missile facilities in the ball just energy weapons. Idea behind this is on naval battleships weapons stores etc are all away from command structures. EXP if you follow the history that this thing is equipped with nukes and conventional weapons. A/M torps are relatively harmless until it is filled with its payload. According to the tech manuals it is not fueled until prior to being offered to the launch bay.

All a bunch of horse**** really since well you do not see any of this crap outside the ship. :p
    Here I have some massive windows. Very un-ENT like. I remember those large windows in some of the TMP studies and thought this space would be great for it. Just inverted. BUT I am not happy with the corner curves on the windows (hoped to use the existing geo to build the windows, it means the lines are spot on vs placing objects. I am sure some would cringe at a "warship" or ship used as a fleet filler. SO I dunno Design over logic? lol Also thinking it is making it a bit tight for the bridge. Which is "SORT OF" a deck above. Anyhow your looking at 2 command offices and centrally the Ops lounge/briefing room and 4 quarters or aux rooms.

So sadly a mornings work down the toilet. I think I might curve that area below the bridge more and try shorter windows and make the aux room windows much smaller.
    no offence meant, your modelling is very good.
    I really love those big windows under the bridge. IMO, it'd be a shame to get rid of them, but it's your baby... you'll do what works best for you. Loving it so far.
    delayed update had to delete attachments HAH

Well here are the smaller windows, they are still big though. I need to readdress my glass material, it just does not show up all that well as something there. Going to have to get unrealistic with it I guess. That or do solid geo for it which I really do not want to do.
    the positioning of the windows around the centre of he bridge and the small tower behind the centre of the bridge are nice features, also like the ribbing and pipe along the "neck" area, pipe below reminds me of a klingon BOP.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Hey Dan, your version of that old bridge rocks! :thumb:
    More perforations.
    Very nice... loving the details.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I like the observation dome but all you can see from there is a wing or the back of the ball or that glowing blue thing.
    That is the point.
    Placing RCS crap, third go or the like and still unsure about it I flattened the face of the RCS here mostly if I did not it would get odd smoothing issues. I am not that happy with the results though so I might be redoing it all.
    Update of some ideas with the impulse. Ignore the color since it will be BLUE not orange red. The milk can ones would be cut intop and inset into the hull. I think they are a bit large atm for the rear end. BUT I really want to retain the same object for the ball drives and the can drives. To give a feeling of modular construction. Because of this I cannot just easily scale them. Other though would be is I could scale both locations down but house the ball drives in a much smaller housing.
    updates
This discussion has been closed.