Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDaedalus Class starship

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9842 Posts: 5,334Member
    1. Photometric WTF long ass 50min render.
    2. Standard "direct" gizmo no MR shader compatibility. 19min render
    3. Mental Ray spot light dorked up to attempt to project a rectangular light. Fails at 36min render and blochys everywhere.

so I dunno wot.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Is there enough room behind the observation room that you could possibly make the lift go up? Perhaps up to an area above where the shuttle could hang like on the NX-01 with a door into the observation area? That would also leave the deck space clear for other things like cargo on-/off-loading.

Love what you're doing with this so far. :)
    The shuttle could fly through and be stored in the forward bay. Main cargo stowage is behind that doorway.
    Ok enough of shuttle bays and SSS material foolery. Back to the ship and screwing with layout again and messing with the nacelles. Mostly cause I dunno what to do next on the secondary and the fact I do not want to layout and cut windows today. Rendering this out to a similar view of a earlier render so you can compare the changes.

The nacelles themselves I have dumped the ring things for now. Thought is to retain the large connection rings that make it look like the whole aft end of the nacelle can unbolt and slide off. I am right now having more issues of its proportions to the front and rear of the nacelle body. It just appears way to far back. As for the nacelle warp details I am tempted to cop out and do a TOS connie style detail. Just dunno atm, part of why I have been putting this off for all this time. There is a chance I will dump everything from the bussard cowling back. Dumping the idea of the visuals of the canon model and going with a NX style frame with panel design.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann641 Posts: 1,295Member
    You're really making me love the Daedalus, Fishy. I seriously need to finish thinking out my D design.
    More foolery, new torp tubes. They are not as exciting or as interesting as the tri arrangement from before but space just would not allow it. I also squished things down some more. I will likely redo the struts so they intersect the nacelles lower down. Though I did move them down to clear those brackets BUT I am thinking those brackets probably should just be shortened up or replaced altogether. Also considering getting rid of the taper on the struts and have them be more like the originals and be a constant width out.
  • trekkitrekki954 Posts: 1,407Member
    Fine work, i love this ship. The rooms inside are perfect.
    New struts, made them a while back but decided the rear edge needed a different treatment. Still mulling over what I will do with the nacelles.
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Man, if I ever win the lottery, I'm going to offer you a commission to design ships for me.
    More strut stuff and those cutouts int he hull. Doing all I can to avoid the nacelles. . . . . . ;p
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    lookin really good
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    great but the nacelles really need some surface details now to match the rest of the ship. i can understand what it's like trying to put off modelling a certain part. really liking the vents and hull ribbing on the first picture.
    great but the nacelles really need some surface details now to match the rest of the ship. i can understand what it's like trying to put off modelling a certain part. really liking the vents and hull ribbing on the first picture.

Do you EVER read what you're commenting on? MKF already said he's working on the nacelles. :rolleyes:
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    Juvat wrote: »
    Do you EVER read what you're commenting on? MKF already said he's working on the nacelles. :rolleyes:

^agreed.
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • theCommandertheCommander0 Posts: 0Member
    Loving this ship, MAD! I believe I have gained respect for a class I never really even looked at before. :cool:
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    This is some sweet work, bravo! :)
  • japetusjapetus2966 SeattlePosts: 1,401Member
    Wow, I'm loving the details! Keep it up!
    Nacelle crap. I am still messing about with the internals. Still not sure if I will add tos grills over it or not since those would be textures and they do cause some issues. Debating also if I shouldn't flatten out the dark inset instead of it having the nacelle curve in it. Again one of those TOS vs ENT things. Of course there are intercoolers jump links and all the other associated crap that go on these things. I will be going with pull off panels over the joined tube idea from earlier. I am likely not going to model them more than just panels on the hull IE no interiors though that would make for some fun renders but I think those will be tackled per scene basis vs all that poly mass in the hero model.
    So far the internals are looking good. I'd say to avoid the grills over that detail, personally. The lighting, even in your WIP images, still amazes me (more so due to my limited ability to recreate it :p). Excellent work. :thumb:
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Juvat wrote: »
    So far the internals are looking good. I'd say to avoid the grills over that detail, personally. The lighting, even in your WIP images, still amazes me (more so due to my limited ability to recreate it :p). Excellent work. :thumb:
    you know he has some tutorials on here how he does thos wip lightings and glow and all that
    colbmista wrote: »
    you know he has some tutorials on here how he does thos wip lightings and glow and all that

Yeah, but my limited time prevents me from either a) actually having time to finish said tutorials and b) using what I've learned repetitively enough to be good at it.
  • wibblewibble1153 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 519Member
    Well, you already got one contra vote, here is the pro: at the moment I feel there is something missing without the grills. The whole nacelle is already looking so TOS-ish that it seems just wrong without it.
    Emission guides and intercoolers. I plan to place large fin radiators on the first stage coils in a similar way that I did with the nx-13 model. Not sure wtf I am going to do with the back half of the nacelle. I am kind of not happy with the entire opening for the nacelle itself vs the space of the actual openings for the coils. Renders show 2 configs I am apt to go with the one large unit with the 2 smaller ones vs the 2 short 2 large.
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Renders show 2 configs I am apt to go with the one large unit with the 2 smaller ones vs the 2 short 2 large.

One large unit with the 2 smaller ones does look better. :thumb:

Really loving this ship.
    Ok,tried to make the openings less wasteful or odd but I think I cannot do anything but re-cut it all.
    New indent and related bits.
    laying out stuff and extruding bits and replacing bits. Reconsidering those tapered boxes behind the coils.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    nice work, those details are lovely.
    New thingies.
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    Gorgeous, the lighting and render looks spot on.
This discussion has been closed.