Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDaedalus Class starship

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    Over lit that 7assward but finally down with the lower windows just 3 rows up top and I can do something else that is if I do not go do something else to spite those windows. Slow day since I tore down all 3 systems today to rewire. AC keeps tripping breakers and the whole long cable thing irks me with the heat build up near the ends. RRRR

Really tempted to get started on the "other" project, but I will try to resist.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    The visible interiors really make a world of difference!

BTW: Is this a hoax or for real? http://togetter.com/li/530045
    Dunno about the winny creator thing. Could be a hoax given all these "sources" Like all the Akira Toriyama stuff that crops up every 5 yrs or so. I remember him being declared dead multiple times on futaba and some news blogs.

guess it is true, dunno how much to trust yahoo but eh
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130707-00000006-zdn_n-sci
  • greeblegreeble174 Posts: 0Member
    beautiful work! love this ship!
    Ball is done, well the window part of it.
    Fooling with the impulse and added these exhaust flows but dunno I think they are way to big.
  • shipfishershipfisher371 Posts: 115Member
    Call me an idiot (and many have), but by "exhaust flows", do you mean the rectangular apertures under the impulse engines? If so, does that mean something has to be physically vented from the impulse drive that isn't coming out of the, well, "glowy bits" already?

However it works, I'm lovin' this boat mate.
    Think the proper term is flush vents or flush valves for the plasma overflow or heat etc so on. Really is there a need people have to nit on something so inane?

Though maybe a radiator finish like the backside of a window AC unit might be more appropriate. The area under the impulse is where the plasma is turned into impulse and the fusion core is located.
    Different venty things but might go some other direction. Really it is just something to fill that blank area.
    I might try some vaney things instead.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I'd say keep 'm; they break the shape up nicely. But perhaps move them up just a little bit? Right now I think that if they flush anything it'll end up on the neck. If you'd put them halfway between impulse engines and neck I think that would be enough :)
    It was asked if there would be variant this is likely where they would stem from. I have decided the old hatches were to unique to each other due to the hull taper with this structure it allows all the hatches to be the same thing. With this set up it can become a module and be swapped out in a refit to say a sciences lab with tonnes of sensors and the like integrated into it or a large passenger compartment or even large cargo bays. etc.

NOW as to me modeling them I dunno. For this project I am only concerned with the module you see here blocked out.
    small update.
    Guess I overdid the settings for the bulbs, flares out too much and created reflection madness in the glass.
    More stuff on the warhead. Can carry one large device smaller devices or the tubes can house advanced probes or satellites.
    As configured here is a Nuclear device with conventional trust engines for propulsion and control and a single impulse drive for motivation.
    Maybe these things can carry some primitive war ability even 1c would be devastating tactically. I think avoiding detection is key with this sort of weapon. Being able to dump one in a fleet of enemy ships undetected would prove the use of weapons such as these in canon. Even ENT canon. Have to say a bank of open flaps with bits in is a lot more menacing than a pair of torp tubes. Even if the A/M torp has a higher yield.

Not sure how much more I will do with this thing that likely wont be seen so close up. If at all.
    A few renders of the warhead in it's bay that is mostly done I just have some mechanical bits like hinges to add. not sure if I will model any major mechanisms in this area since I do not want to rig it and well I dunno how much I will ever use it.
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    I read your description, had a glance at the images and you're right: imagening being on the opposing ship and seeing those flaps open would scare the living daylights out of me. On the other hand, it kind of defeats the whole 'stealth' approach... But still, I'd keep 'm; Would make one hell of a shot! Perhaps you could make two of these launchtubes on the sphere as well? Perhaps on the sides of the deflector, a pair of panels that split in the middle to launch a nuke?

If you don't mind, I want to incorporate this in carlg's Daedalus as well. You've got a pretty solid idea there!
    Hinges and merged in the upper bridge decks. Forgot to set smoothing groups before hitting render.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    launch tubes like a cruise missile submarine. great work, and wonderfully menacing.
    Not much progress today. Sort of scatterbrained with tearing the house apart looking for drive rails for the media PC's HDD bays. Damned fing tool less $hittery. About to swap the case for something else. I cannot even file and paint the stupid thing because of all the tool less rubbish in that case. Box of razorblades. ANYHOW marking out and cutting up of the main hull for hull plating. Not sure of yet if I will add any raised ribbing detail. I do need to think up something for that metallic cap, other than what I have there now. The blue boxes are to mark off the locations for the 80ft marks in the hull. The panel grids atm are 2" I have to narrow them to match the ball grids.
    Well, rings extruded doodads and racing stripes. Ignore the mesh error I just did not want to re-render the file.
  • captain_millscaptain_mills174 Posts: 0Member
    Stunning, as usual, MKF! Loving the look of the bay interior in post 109! Very pre-tos in appearance. :)
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Great progress, as always!

Where's the ship's bowling alley?
    Most recent updates moved major bits about and more bits.
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This really looks fantastic!
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    That is one of the best looking Daedalus type ships I have seen. I think keeping the nacelles low like that really makes it look good.

(lol, it's an optical illusion, but it looks like there is an R2 unit between the nacelles in the side view of the ship)
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann695 Posts: 1,339Member
    sojourner wrote: »
    (lol, it's an optical illusion, but it looks like there is an R2 unit between the nacelles in the side view of the ship)

Imagine a shot of that ship passing by, then you see that little dome and hear R2's beeping.
    Update: Arguing with fonts. Fleet classic is to squishy. As you can see in the renders. Tempted to use the newer fonts but I think keeping in with the old TOS **** is the right way to go. The United crud I sorta squashed a bit to look most like the little resin model Jien made. I am following canon as much as possible here hence the ncc-129 reg over the ncc-150. Outside of all the issues with getting the font right is layout. The original model had the same thick over thin banner with the text like this BUT I am placing it on those inductor whatevers so it is looking a bit naff.

Anyhow anyone have a proper font that has the kerning and width to the text that the original studio model has, let me know. I am ignoring almost all illustrations and 3d models of the reg since NONE match up to the model photos. YES I could squash it and mutilate it but I would like to avoid this since consistency I would have to do the exact same percentage to all the ship text all over. Least in the larger reg. So I would like to locate a font that has it already done.

and yes I need to apply a better black material to the text.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    I always use Airborne II for my TOS ships. It's the most accurate font available as far as I can tell, as the creator, Charles Casimiro, had access to the original Enterprise model from the 60's. You can download the font on his website.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Not a huge update but this is it for me tonight.
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I always use Airborne II for my TOS ships. It's the most accurate font available as far as I can tell, as the creator, Charles Casimiro, had access to the original Enterprise model from the 60's. You can download the font on his website.

MMM that looks a lot like this other font I have. Just he has a bolder version. I have however found cleaner pics of that model and they had some other font cut in decals something similar to the TMP microgramma. So atm I dunno what I will do. Likely stick to tos fontsets.
    Yeah I said I wouldn't but I did. Had to move and adjust a mess of things to avoid collisions. ATM that tabletop thing is just that a rotating area no elevator atm since well the shuttle would rotate right into the torp launchers and some of the impulse generators. This bay will open into a cargo hold that thus connects to the upper shuttle bay. This bay is mostly for cargo. The other bay us where crew would arrive as well as other shuttle duties. I do not have the door bits showing it will likely cover some of the opening when fully open. I also have to adjust some of the floor grooves to deal with the door sections.

I need to add the alignment lights and such though granted with trek shuttles it is not like a aircraft carrier that they are coming in at speed, no trek flight deck is large enough to justify it in reality. BUT it is canon so. . . . . . . ;p

I kinda want to make a shuttle for this but time frame sort of justifies using the ENT shuttles still. Those wings are really annoying since they add a lot of width to them forcing wider doors and overall larger components. Still have not found one that is not a nightmare conversion of triangles and doubled faces. SO I guess I will be working on building one if fair
    Some more cargo crap. Mess of boxes and all the other crap that goes with these areas. I am not going whole detail of camera in room much for the same reasons I do not for the rooms. I tried fooling with SSS with the plastic containers but I do not think it is real SSS, rather physical so I do not think it is doing anything with the lum materials lighting things up. Probably if I replaced those light materials in the ceilings with photometrics would produce nicer results but photometrics lead to screwed up viewports IE whole ship is white or black and you can see $hit.

Now the huge BLUE reflection I think is coming from the green light being kicked off from those wall materials. I really do not get it but I might be yanking those texture off to remove that glare.
    I do need to sit down and look at logos to stick about in the bay etc.

Ok did a render of the containers with a ground plane. Those blue barrels really kick out light but I guess reality a plastic blue barrel does kick up a lot of blue light when I think about it exp those ones which let light through them to some slight extent. None of it is 100% but it is enough to work. Likely I should have just used simple rubbish materials and be done with it but eh. The SSS material treatments really only show up on those jugs atm and well they look empty since my settings are a bit off. Tempted to make those barrels yellow or some other horrible color.

oh yeah ignore the edge errors on the window frames.
This discussion has been closed.