Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDescendants of Order 66 - Star Destroyer Hangar

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looking great!

that all reminds that there is a corridor I have here to finish :D
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Hehe, thanks matey and glad to be of service, and looking forward to seeing the finished corridor Chris :)

Here are the panels in situ :)
    101133.jpg
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Looking very nice! :)
    Thanks mate :) working on the texture decals now, so more soon :)
    Just trying some decals/symbols, hangar related bits and bobs so nothing major, but wondering what do you think?
    101137.jpg
    Hm, I have mixed feelings about those. They might fit the style better if they were black or gray instead of red, maybe?

Also, don't forget to use the ones that appear here, the "atmosphere substation" and "power substation" ones could be useful (on the cylinder-like things you have in the walls): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tantive_IV

Trying to find a screen capture of the film where those appear, I stumbled upon this, that might be a great source for new details to add on this part of the ship:
    NotIntheMainComputer.png
    Doing them ones right now :) and I chose red as this is a working hangar so wanted to have something to highlight its a dangerous area as it were :)
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    In the context of a hangar a bright high-contrast color makes sense, since some markings also have to be clearly readable for a shuttle with damaged windows or after it has been through a ton of (space) dirt and had to rely on instrument flight. Probably the same reason why Trek's Federation uses those fugly yellow markings.
    Exactly ;) (plus red is a pretty colour :P)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I like red for this, but think it is maybe a bit bright? How about a slightly deeper or darker red?
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,177Member
    Looking great. Red makes sense, as it was the color of the Repulic and the rebellion used it a lot because they were trying to restore the Republic.
    Yeah the red was the first choice for me, also I was thinking exactly like Evil where the exterior already has this as part of its decals (used this shot for reference http://b.vimeocdn.com/ts/358/658/358658543_640.jpg)

:)
    If you look at a movie screenshot the red looks a bit more subdued than that, though with the exterior you have to take into account dirt and wear.
    Also at the point of time in the movie DOO66 its still a fairly new ship, so the paint is less chipped ;) Plus as this is guidance elements for ships entering / exiting it has to be pretty visible :)
    The red looking different on film can be blamed on the lighting and 1970s cameras. ;)
    and dont get me started on the "special editions" :(

Well for arguments sake, here is a slightly dulled down red :)
    101139.jpg
    Special what? ;) Now that Disney owns the rights, I wish they'd release the original films on Blu-Ray. The DVD releases were a joke, they weren't even digitally remastered.
    Just don't forget that the colors will once again be modified during color grading of the final video footage.
    Wiz wrote: »
    Well for arguments sake, here is a slightly dulled down red :)

I like this one better :) But did you change it in post? The lighting looks different and the markings above the doors seem duller too when they shouldn't :S
    @Evil, I imagine Lucas added a clause to the contract about releasing the original versions... :(

@Lennier1, thanks for the heads up, and will be working close with the guys on PoodoFX on any corrections :)

@Dark, yeah its all post work (colour / lighting correction), and the render frame remains the same, although actually I did slightly alter the white balance on the wall colours, and added decals (as well as moved) the tanks :)
    Looks like the cylinders in the corners have been moved slightly too. I prefer the darker version of the red markings.
    Dark(er) versions it is :) (and edited my post as you must have been replying Talon lol) ;)

And actually when I say colour / lighting correction it is rather manipulation, as the original render renders correctly, but its easier to edit in post and get the look I am after :)
    Here is a cleaner render, with an AO pass :)
    101151.jpg
    Looking good! I'm even starting to like the squares pattern of the glowpanels in the ceiling :P

And are those cylinders all atmosphere substations? I guess it makes sense in the event of a decompression of the hangar, but not even a power or a deflector system one? :D
    Atmosphere sub stations yep, figured they would be found here :) (may add one of the others as well, just to make you happy ;)).

:)
    That new render looks good. It's less grainy, so it's easier to make out the details. :)
    @Evil, I imagine Lucas added a clause to the contract about releasing the original versions... :(

Yeah, probably. He's that much of a wiener. I don't know why he can't just give the people what they want. Who cares if the original films don't live up to his expectations? They were fine for the rest of us for 20 years, until he had to start all of this "special edition" nonsense. :rolleyes:
    Well many have asked that same question... :(

OK made a start of the floor girders, gonna look something like the below ;)

floorgirders.jpg
    101152.jpg
    Good idea! Reminiscent of the ceiling girders in Imperial hangars and still different enough.
    "Reminiscent of the ceiling girders in Imperial hangars" as well as my sons toy fire engine's ladder ;) and thanks :)
    OK made a start of the floor girders, gonna look something like the below ;)

I'm not sure I understand what we see here… Is this going to be under the floor of the hangar? But wasn't the hangar inside the Tantive IV, making those girders have to be in the *outside* of the ship? I'm confused, I think :-P