Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDescendants of Order 66 - Star Destroyer Hangar

• WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Stonky :)

@DarkSapiens, thanks and do you mean the external hangar? If so this will be behind a lot of action going on in the foreground so is not something the viewer will be concentrating on, so didn't spend much time there ;)

May post some sneak previews of the new hangar over the weekend, will see how I get on :)
  • DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Ahh okay. I thought we were gonna see a ship landing there or similar, with the hangar exterior view taking a good part of the shot.

Looking forward to the next hangar, and BTW, I loved the trailers for that fan film when I first saw them! :)
    thanks matey, yeah there is a great bunch of guys working on this doing some fantastic stuff :)
    OK here is a sneak peak at the WIP on the Tantive hangar, a colour & texture test; loads more planned, plus in the final shots the floor will be opened to outer space for the ship to exit through. :)

884467_10201014730481167_1803605640_o.jpg
    101002.jpg101003.jpg
    Looks nice!

But not sure about the ceiling, though… I think the style doesn't fit the rest of the environment. I was going to take a look at the one we see in Revenge of the Sith to see how they did that one, but I can't find an image anywhere :-/

With the ceiling I kept it in the same vain as the corridor setup :) and as for ROTS version, I am not a big fan of that style they went with, so preferred to keep it more like the molded panels style from the original trilogy :)
  • SeverusSeverus401 Posts: 254Member
    Wiz wrote: »
    With the ceiling I kept it in the same vain as the corridor setup :) and as for ROTS version, I am not a big fan of that style they went with, so preferred to keep it more like the molded panels style from the original trilogy :)

Beautiful work! I agree, the original trilogy should be the main reference, they did it right the first time.

True but… In the corridors you don't see that many squares, everything is much more… rectangular. Maybe changing the distance between "pillars" in two of the walls so the light panels are rectangular instead of square would do the trick? Perhaps making the pillar separation from three to two or four of those blocks that are usually in the walls of these Corellian ships :)
    Absolutely Severus :)

Also its not that it looks bad in ROTS, its just a preference thing for me :)

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5743/vlcsnap2013030121h18m17.png
    @DarkSapiens, thanks for the feedback, lots more little details to add so will take that into account :)

Plus it will be going out into my (version of the) corridor :), so trying to match as closely as possible (although actually I am not sure the shots of the Hangar in the film will be directly alongside the corridor...) ;)

376404_4374153402713_1416055722_n.jpg
    101004.jpg
    Also its not that it looks bad in ROTS, its just a preference thing for me :)

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/5743/vlcsnap2013030121h18m17.png

Wow, that doesn't match the style of the ship at all. I thought the shot in the film was directly from below, showing only the ceiling and just a bit of the walls, but it seems that my memory betrayed me there.

And I'm another Original Trilogy guy, so I wasn't saying I preferred the ROTS version at all, of course :lol:

That corridor is the one you posted here a few years ago, right? I still remember being mind-blown by it, since it looked like you just went to the actual sets in 1977 and took pictures of them, due to their realism :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, both on the corridor and the start of the hangar. Yeah, your version is a bit better than the ROTS version. Am actually quite surprised, when you mentioned a while back that you were doing another ship hangar this isn't the one I was thinking of. Cool to see where you go with it.
    @DarkSapiens; yeah it was one of the many (many) many (many) things that annoyed me (and the rest of the world) about the prequels ;), that being that they seemed to have created films that on so many levels ignored what the prequels had done (other than cameos and cheap connections). So wanted to do my own (that my still not hit the mark, but for me are truer to their source :)). The corridor render is from a few years ago, but did update this (and its currently under another update due to some other personal projects)).

@Talon; thanks mate for the very kind words, and hopefully I can do it justice :)
    Here is the full thing, so you can see its size... :)
    101019.jpg
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I'm gonna go out there and say IMO you're actually going about this from the wrong direction: The hangar is essentially an works/utility/engineering space, and those differ greatly from the main corridor/living space areas we saw both on the Tantive IV and the (Sundered Heart?) in RotS; both of which had the white molding style you used here.

Those other utility spaces were a whole lot of bare betal though (ignoring the RotS hangar, as I consider that to be a gross error on the production team's part), with none of the molded surfaces present. Likewise the Home One hangar in RotJ; it was all bare metal/plasteel/whathaveyou whereas the command centre was in bright, white/grey molded (comfortable) surfaces with nary a vent or access panel in sight.

As such I'd honestly suggest either some mods to the mesh to eliminate the majority of molded surfaces, or texturing to more adequately represent a hangar space....

It's nice though, and I do like it - it just looks to me more like a conference lounge or ballroom than a hangar ATM. Sorry to be contrary! :(
    Well, since the Tantive IV is a consular ship, maybe the hangar inside is relatively clean to receive shuttles and ambassadors appropriately? The hangars in the Death Star II where the Emperor and Vader arrive are very clean too, while the one they drag the Millennium Falcon into in A New Hope was darker and more dull…
    Haha each to their own I guess :)

I will however be busying this up, and also when I include the hangar door structure it should (hopefully) look less statesmen like; I am actually looking at aircraft carriers for some ideas for the raw metal parts as it were :) so more to come.

Plus this area will have literally a few seconds air time in the film, so not getting to hung up on it (even though I moaned about the ROTS version :P).

:)
    And to be put it in better context, a quick render with a rough (very rough) blocked out hangar door in an open state (which is how it will appear in the film, opened :)).

The shape is definitely going to change and more of the the mechanisms on show, so just trying some different things (and for scale reference Mister X's Xwing :)).
    101034.jpg
    That looks cool :)

I wonder how it actually opens. Do the doors just slide to the sides or go in an angle on those kind of "inclined rails" that we can see at the bottom part of the panels from the edges of the opening?
    Thanks, and I haven't decided yet, just going to try a few configurations, but as it will not animate or have to actually close or open I can cheat a little ;)
    A little update on the hangar, much happier with the lighting and shaders, and also some minor details added...

Not a whole lot to show, but at least there is some progression ;)

Wiz.
    101114.jpg
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804321 Posts: 11,046Member
    Great stuff. I love the rebel corridor. The shot with R2-D2 reminds me of the original movie. :) The hanger is also looking great so far.
    Thanks matey, another quick render below, with the floor in place (although in the final shots the floor will be rolled back to allow the ship to leave :)).
    101121.jpg
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Would give a nerdgasm to every nerd in school if that was design of their school gym!
    Beautiful work Wiz!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804321 Posts: 11,046Member
    I would never leave the gym. (which would be really odd, considering that I'm 34 years old :lol:)

It's looking great, Wiz. :thumb:
    Well I said it as I'm surrounded by nerdy (collectables...not toys) stuff, so I know looking like that,I would not have cut so many PE classes.
    :lol: thanks guys, and what a cool idea, you have inspired me, now if I only had a few million going spare, although I think my wife to be would divorce me as I know how our house would look ;)

Check out http://kotaku.com/this-restaurant-is-a-nerd-paradise-472395600

Table booked for next Valentine's, my woman is a lucky one ;)

Crap now I need to build more shelves and display cabinets!
    lol :)
    Some more panels configs done for the walls :)
    101132.jpg