Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDescendants of Order 66 - Star Destroyer Hangar

WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
edited February 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hi all,

Wow been a while since I posted any work on here, so very very glad to finally have some stuff to show.

So first off starting with a quick shot of the Star Destroyer hangar I have completed for a fantastic Star Wars fan film in progress entitled;

'Descendants of Order 66'

http://www.banthapoodoo.de/

This hangar is for background plates for the live action, so there is going to be lots of that going on in here :)

So here you go, I will pop a few more images of the hangar up over the next few days. Remember this is an empty hangar for the live action, so its not fantastically exciting ;), it's merely a taste of what work is being done for this film (having the pleasure of working for a great bunch of guys who are doing some fantastic work on this film).

So hope you likes, and more to come!

:)

Wiz.
99367.jpg
Post edited by Wiz on
Tagged:

• kippakippa0 Posts: 0Member
    I look forward to seeing more of this! :)
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Kippa, and another shot from a different angle (added a Stormtrooper by JJ Palamo just for scale reference).

Also working on a Lambda shuttle to go with this hangar :)
    99370.jpg
  • meugen06meugen06334 Posts: 5Member
    Unbelievable just unbelievable work.
    Thanks Meugen06 :), if you haven't already check out the trailer, the guys are doing some great work!

A little information on the render, it is rendered with iray (in Max) with some colour correction in post.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Great work - the ground surface looks fantastic!
  • lennier1lennier1918 Posts: 1,286Member
    Amazing!

I think that's the first time that someone got the floor on one of these to look believable (and that includes the movies).
    Thanks guys, and yeah went back and forth a lot with the floor, really wanted to get across the panels with the skuff and buff from many a storm trooper rushing to get into lines for Vader's arrival ;)
  • hazendhazend171 Posts: 0Member
    FANTASTIC!

yes... i yelled.

Honestly though, great work. I am really impressed and will be keeping a very close eye on this.
    hehe, wow, thanks mate, more coming tomorrow, and then its back to getting the shots for the film :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice one Wiz, have been looking forward to seeing this since you first mentioned you were working on one when I was working on my Death Star II Hangar, interesting to compare and contrast, you've done a fantastic job on the floor there, and I see you've gone with that iRay lighting JMoney mentioned. Looks great, very nice work, I can't wait to see more fella.

Funny that you posted today, was out with a few of the old Warthog crew today (Jonesy, Zuby & Darren) Wetting the Baby's Head. You'll have to bob out for a drink with us all some time.
    Hey Talon,

Yeah been promising this for a while lol, but been busy getting the shots ready for the film, but now finally here it is :) a big open space ;) lol...

Yeah been using iray now for a while now, love its simplicity; although as environments go this is in essence a fairly bland blue box so for all the long shots I do some post in PS to add a little more feeling of depth and also some colour correction (you know yourself the original set was a matte blue walled environment, and the more interesting shots (the long shots) were matte paintings, so the 2 dont match up at all between shots and the more interesting versions are the paintings (as they take liberties ;))

Anyhoo, here is another shot, looking back into the hangar from the entrance :) I have to leave the central area clear as there is going to be spaceships, troopers and all sorts of shenanigans going on :)

As you wont really see a shot from this angle in the film (as far as I can tell), I haven't done any of the walkways etc. but once the film is done I may come back and add them in for my own gratification ;)

Yeah definitely need to get out for a drink, since having the boys I haven't really had a chance to get out with any of the old crew (these 2 little monsters are keeping me busy ;)) :(

Wiz.
    99411.jpg
    and just realized the back wall is missing column detailing, as you don't see this area in the shots I am creating for the film I never got around to this lol; well know what I am doing for the next 20 minutes :)
  • JMoneyJMoney189 Posts: 127Member
    Hey Wiz,

Very nice work. Love the renders! That floor texturing is excellent. :thumb:

I've been keeping an eye on Descendants of Order 66. I love watching these fanfilms come together. This one really has some excellent VFX work, and the trailers were done very well. Can't wait to see the finished product. It always amazes me what a small dedicated group can accomplish outside of a Hollywood studio. I wish I could take my project to that level.

How is iRay treating you? What kind of GPU are you running? I just ordered a new video card as my Quadro CX was really struggling with iRay (only 1.5GB and not enough CUDA).

JMoney
    Thanks matey :)

I am currently running a Geforce GTX 460 v2 (1GB), and so far seems to be handling it OK (although can be sluggish in the viewports at times when all layers are active). The above render was about 30 minutes. Initially the columns were turbosmoothed meshes, which was killing me so had to strip them back and chamfer everything ;) although was glad I did as there was not any real need to have these as high poly meshes.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Terrific! I think you nailed the floor.
    Thanks Stonky, yeah the floor seems popular :)

I spent an age trying composite materials etc. (getting giddy with over complex maps, layers, blends etc.) before I went back to being simple, just stick a (hi res) specular dirt map in 'Glossiness' and mid range strength on the reflection colour and bang there you go, job done :) turned out really nice :)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,177Member
    Dude, quit posting set photos and claiming they're your work. ;)

Seriously, that's how freakin' good this looks. Wow. I can't believe the level of realism, and I've seen some damn realistic looking stuff around here. Like Tobias said, the floor surface is fantastic.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    looks great mate!!! You hit the nail with the ground textures. Is it possible to show us your secret?
    Haha, thanks evil_genius (shhhh don't tell everyone my secret ;))

Hey ChrisGFX, and sure more than happy to share what I did; take a ganders at the attached (the reflection strength etc. was a lot of experimentation).

I brought in the base render (iray rendered) into PS and duplicated the base layer as an 'overlay' (to increase the depth/contrast), and then I also added a gradient layer (again as an 'overlay', you can also use softlight, depending on your preference), the gradient went from white to light blue across the image bringing out the floor details and also adding some depth/variation to the blue colour in the walls :)

Hope this helps :)

Wiz.
    99579.jpg
    Wiz wrote: »
    Haha, thanks evil_genius (shhhh don't tell everyone my secret ;))

Hey ChrisGFX, and sure more than happy to share what I did; take a ganders at the attached (the reflection strength etc. was a lot of experimentation).

I brought in the base render (iray rendered) into PS and duplicated the base layer as an 'overlay' (to increase the depth/contrast), and then I also added a gradient layer (again as an 'overlay', you can also use softlight, depending on your preference), the gradient went from white to light blue across the image bringing out the floor details and also adding some depth/variation to the blue colour in the walls :)

Hope this helps :)

Wiz.

WOW, thanks ... thats really cool!
    You're very welcome buddy, and that gradient overlay trick adds a lot to an otherwise plain image (really helped me out) :)
    How do,

OK here is what should be a quick little project to complete, its a corridor for the hangar; this may or may not actually be used in the fan film 'Descendants of Order 66'. I did this as its a quick build as most of the pieces are already done from the hangar itself :)

I based it on one of the shots from the deleted scenes on the blu ray.

:)

Wiz.
    99794.jpg
    Fantastic work. Everything looks very good and realistic, though I still can't get over how great that floor looks. :D
    haha thanks mate, the floor is such a simple material as well lol...
    Wiz wrote: »
    haha thanks mate, the floor is such a simple material as well lol...

man ... this materials look simple and easy. I expectet much more from a master like you!

*kidding* :D

looks great! :notworthy:

Chris_
    :lol: thanks buddy :)
    A quick update, additional detailing done :)
    99799.jpg
    Outstanding. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, be interested in seeing the ref for this corridor, so where does it come out? Into those entrance ways in the hangar? I just put some standard blast doors and a Death Star I style corridor behind it, but be good to see what they really had in mind, you can see that they had a practical full size entrance, but you can't really see any detail in the shots I've seen, so if the extras really go in there and explore that area? Well that would be really interesting to see.

Curse the new Blu-Ray for stealing all the extras that us poor old DVD users will never see.

:argh:
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nice, be interested in seeing the ref for this corridor, so where does it come out? Into those entrance ways in the hangar? I just put some standard blast doors and a Death Star I style corridor behind it, but be good to see what they really had in mind, you can see that they had a practical full size entrance, but you can't really see any detail in the shots I've seen, so if the extras really go in there and explore that area? Well that would be really interesting to see.

Curse the new Blu-Ray for stealing all the extras that us poor old DVD users will never see.

:argh:

its time to upgrade to BluRay, isn't it?