Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAndy Probert's Enterprise NCC-1701-F

vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
edited May 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hi to all,

I am currently working on new Enterprise F model designed by Andy Probert and this is tribute modeling. Its still work in progress. Will need to add a lot of details, but main form and feeling is there.

PS -As far as Im consigned, Proberts design should be the only and final version of the Enterprise F. I always loved his designs -he managed to bring class and style to the Star Trek franchise in TNG and you got feeling that exploration of space could be on high/elite level (lol like a luxury liner as they ones said in series). I dont know what happened after Gene died, but it seems to me that everything's gone south after that. Ent-E is a great designed ship, but it has nothing to do with Star Trek -more with Star Wars (don't get me wrong, I love SW -original trilogy-but when somethings not right, its not right) :P lol

Enjoy ;)

V
103774.jpg
Post edited by vmblast on
Tagged:

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    This looks very interesting, and the model work is nice so far, but where is this concept from? I haven't seen it posted anywhere.
  • vmblastvmblast3 Posts: 0Member
    This looks very interesting, and the model work is nice so far, but where is this concept from? I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

Yes its tricky to find it ;) . Ive managed to find these two. Because they are still draft versions I had to combine from couple of designs to achieve good model concept -ofc following Proberts style and direction.

PS -btw, note the last sketch of new Starfleed Combadges Probert had in mind ;)
    96908.jpg96909.jpg96910.jpg
    Thanks for posting those! I was wondering what the ship looked like separated. Are you going to give it that ability, or model the ship as one unit?
    Thanks for posting those! I was wondering what the ship looked like separated. Are you going to give it that ability, or model the ship as one unit?

Yes, I made it in two parts, so it has separate saucer section (you can see cutting line that separates two sections in renders). Probert has some interesting ideas of putting two small retractable warp engines at the ends of saucer. I havent thought much about that separation process, because everything is still "working in progress", I just made two parts for starters. We'll see later, how overall picture is turn out to be. If I have time, I might make details in that section covered by saucer.
  • DesignRDesignR0 Posts: 0Member
    Wholly smokes,... what a nice job you've done there... congratulations on sketch-bashing up a nice version of the "F".

Andrew-
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I remember seeing this design on a blog a long time ago, and I always wished Mr. Probert would've made more progress towards a "finished" version.
    Anyway, you're doing a great work with it, and I'll definitively keep an eye on this thread. :thumb:
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • biotechbiotech171 Posts: 0Member
    I like your work on this, but I am not a fan of the design, just looks like someone left the D next to a fire.
    Maybe it's a Salvador Dali class ship? :p
  • Admiral DanevAdmiral Danev171 Posts: 0Member
    Nice model. Your model does it much better justice than the sketches.
  • Wishbone_AshWishbone_Ash325 Posts: 250Member
    very interesting design. I actually love it. Would be interested if Andy could shed any light on how big he thought this ship should be - my initial take when looking at the sketches is that its about the same size as the -D or maybe slightly bigger.
  • backsteptbackstept2073 Posts: 926Member
    I love the way the neck bends down. It's a departure from most other ships where the neck only seems to join the hull together, this ship seems to have a greater sense of continuity and structure.
    The only thing that seems out of place is the warp nacelles. Maybe see if there's a way to bring the feel of monolithic connection the neck brings and translate it to the nacelles in some way so they don't seem to be an afterthought.

Nice work!
    and it's always a plus when Mr Probert the DesignR himself shows up in your thread :D
  • rojrenrojren2304 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,971Member
    There are things I like about the design, and things I don't like. I like that the shape flows from one 'section' to another, but I don't like the sagging backbone look. Maybe a slight change in the contours? Also, were there any straight lines on the 'D' at all? The saucer and I'll call it 'spine' of this 'F' seems a bit flat and boxy - especially from the rear. Maybe the nacelles could flow more into the pylons as well?

Damn I sound picky. I do like it, but with a few tweaks I think it could be awesome.
    very interesting design. I actually love it. Would be interested if Andy could shed any light on how big he thought this ship should be - my initial take when looking at the sketches is that its about the same size as the -D or maybe slightly bigger.

Here is my rough scale estimate. The diameter of saucer section of the D, is roughly the same as F, but because it is a bit longer and robust, it may be larger in volume than the D ;)

But I guess, what ever Probert says on this theme is the final lol

PS -the model of Ent-D is not mine and I am using it only as a scale reference here.
    96924.jpg
    rojren wrote: »
    Also, were there any straight lines on the 'D' at all?

Read the text in this image carefully ;)

Cheers
    96908.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    For some reason, I think this ship looks ugly.... :/
  • oldmangregoldmangreg198 Woodland Hills, CAPosts: 1,339Member
    I guess even great designers have their days...
    Your right to an opinion does not make your opinion valid.
  • komarokomaro348 CanadaPosts: 752Member
    Very nice design. Although I don't like the engines. They seem out of place...they are pointy and sharp angle, while the rest of the design is round and fluid. I like that they are inward but I would change it in terms of shape.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    komaro wrote: »
    Very nice design. Although I don't like the engines. They seem out of place...they are pointy and sharp angle, while the rest of the design is round and fluid. I like that they are inward but I would change it in terms of shape.

IA’m with you. Maybe doing the naceles longer could give more equilibrium to the ship.
  • ryo80ryo800 Posts: 0Member
    I'm fascinated by this concept, especially the philosophy Mr. Probert uses to combine "D" and "E" designs. It kinda reminds me of the early TNG design sketches, where he was trying to turn the original galaxy class idea into something workable. I think it could definitely benefit from some revisions to balance the weight of the ship, as well as the slope of the top part of the saucer and the bussard collectors. That said, it is interesting to see where this concept goes as it takes shape.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The modeling is solid, but I'm not a fan of the design. (and I usually like Andy's stuff) To me, it looks too much like the Ent-D. Plus, the proportions are weird on it. The secondary hull and nacelles are small compared to the saucer and neck.
    vmblast wrote: »
    Ent-E is a great designed ship, but it has nothing to do with Star Trek -more with Star Wars

I'm curious as to the thought process on that one. In what way is the Ent-E not like a Trek ship? It has a saucer, secondary hull, pylons and nacelles. The overall look is essentially the same, it was just updated. Also, exactly what in Star Wars is it supposedly like? Bear in mind that, at the time the -E was designed, there were only 3 SW movies and they had each only been released in the theaters once. What in the original trilogy is the -E supposed to look like? I can't think of anything and I've been watching those movies since I was very young, longer than I've been watching Star Trek.
    komaro wrote: »

I agree on this one and as the matter in fact I was going to change them, but I've been in contact with Mr. Probert and he sent me some of his 3D work on the F. Ive modified my version and changed nacelles to accommodate his design. Believe me, its better looking now. Its more sleek and form follows the line flow way better now :D But unfortunately since I dont have permission from Probert, I cant post it here...or anywhere lol :p
    I'm curious as to the thought process on that one. In what way is the Ent-E not like a Trek ship? It has a saucer, secondary hull, pylons and nacelles. The overall look is essentially the same, it was just updated. Also, exactly what in Star Wars is it supposedly like? Bear in mind that, at the time the -E was designed, there were only 3 SW movies and they had each only been released in the theaters once. What in the original trilogy is the -E supposed to look like? I can't think of anything and I've been watching those movies since I was very young, longer than I've been watching Star Trek.

What I wanted to say is that Gene Roddenberry had one particular idea and aim for the Star Trek. It was more turned to humanism, explorations, endless possibilities, self improve and exploring the space with class and style. Andy Probert pulled that notions and tone flawlessly with TNG. That was Genes (and Proberts) vision of the future of humanity. After Gene died, everything went south. It became shooting and more shooting, and wars, and more wars. The Ent E, while a great design (as I said earlier) and in boundaries of ST starship design/style, it went more aggressive and robust. It became a warship. I think that Gene is turning in his grave now lol. While Star Wars were action adventure space opera and shooting and battles are in tone and point of that particular genre, Star Trek were never about shooting nor war :p By my opinion it was a horrible style, point and tone mismatch with the E, thats all ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Well, you can thank Gene Roddenberry's hand-picked successor Rick Berman for all of that. ;) However, you can also thank Gene. Under Gene's watch, they introduced species like the Borg and Cardassians to the Star Trek audiences and brought back the Romulans. When the Ent-D was designed, it was at a time of relative peace in the galaxy. The Klingons were our friends, the Romulans were (once again) tucked away behind their borders and the Cardassian war was over. However, in TNG, the Borg appeared for the first time and the Romulans made their grand reappearance. At the time of The Best of Both Worlds, Starfleet R&D was already working on more aggressive warships to fight the Borg, this was mentioned in the dialog. Gene was still alive at this time. Even though Rick had mostly taken over as executive producer by that time, I don't think he was doing much without at least a nod of approval from Gene. Then, in The Best of Both Worlds, the Federation got its butt handed to it by the Borg, who learned a lot about Starfleet's ships and defenses from Picard. This meant that Starfleet had to continue its evolution into more of a war-like entity and go even further with it. Plus, the Romulans were starting sh*t with the Federation and their ships were bigger and more powerful that Starfleet's finest, so that had to be taken into account. Now, after Gene died, they continued with the "more aggressive galaxy" routine by adding species like the Dominion and the Breen, as well as making the Cardassians (once again) our enemies. When the Ent-E was designed, there was the ever present threat of Borg attacks plus other bad stuff going on in the galaxy, including the existence of other hostile races to consider. The ship was simply designed for its time. So, you can say Gene would be rolling over in his grave about this stuff, but he kinda got the ball rolling. You can also thank the younger audiences who were watching TNG, DS9, etc. A lot of them wanted more action and fighting. I can guarantee you that DS9 wasn't doing so well before they added the Dominion into the mix and they started regularly getting into fights with them and (later) the Klingons, Cardassians, etc.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I have to say I disagree at least in part here. Yes, Star Trek is more about the peaceful exploration of space and the betterment of mankind and all that, but equally Star Trek, as is the case with most good sci-fi is a product and reflection of the time it was produced. With TOS it was a reflection of the cold war of that time with the Klingons and Romulans standing in for Communist states. And even though you never saw all out war in the show it was alluded to that at some time in the past there had been open conflict at least between the Federation and the Klingons if not the Romulans as well (I'll have to apologise for my lack of in depth knowledge of Trek lore, I'm primarily a Star Wars fan rather than Trek fan, so while I watch the shows, movies etc, I am not so well versed in the back stories, expanded universe etc of Trek), so even though primarily peaceful in nature Trek is more about the human condition and how interesting stories can be told in that futuristic setting that make you ask questions about society that may have been considered subversive if not for the sci-fi trappings of the show, such as having female, Japanese and Russian crew members, and TVs first interracial kiss. Thing is the human condition isn't just peaceful it is also about conflict, and so when TNG came out the world was a relatively peaceful place, and the show reflected this with quite 80's relatively comfortable sensibilities in the design of the ship and the stories that were told, but then towards the end of that shows run and when DS9 came out the world was changing and becoming a more violent and war torn place, and that is reflected in the tone of that show. I don't feel Trek went down hill there, I just feel it did what it always did so well, and that was to reflect the current state of the world and tell stories that are relevant and make you question what is going on in the world. I don't presume to know what would be going on in Gene Roddenberry's mind, but personally I would have thought he'd be more proud of his legacy that still continues to grow and evolve rather than be turning in his grave because things have changed so much since his watch.

Regarding the design of the Enterprise-F (Weird, I thought I commented on this earlier, but looks like I must have dreamt it), I'm in agreement with a lot of people regarding the strange proportions, it looks like with a bit of development it could become something of an interesting design, but I'm not too sold on it right now. A big part of this is due, as has been mentioned by others, to the disconnect between the highly ergonomic shapes of the hull and the comparatively sharp and angular warp nacelles, something has to be done there to allow the two elements to compliment each other better, be that making the nacelles more rounded or some other measure to make them work.

I also don't get the Star Wars / Enterprise-E design comment, you have elaborated on it a bit more now, but if you look at the Ent-E if anything it is more of a throwback to the design lines on the TMP Enterprise, just with slicker lines. Personally I much prefer the look of the Ent-E to the Ent-D, but seeing as I'm a Star Wars fan maybe you're on to something.

:p

Either way, I look forward to seeing your continuing work on this design and seeing where it goes.

[EDIT:] ^^And yeah, what he said.

:lol:
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    But unfortunately since I dont have permission from Probert, I cant post it here...or anywhere lol :p

:confused: So, this thread is dead? Or were you kidding?
    sojourner wrote: »
    :confused: So, this thread is dead? Or were you kidding?

No, I wouldn't say its dead, just maybe delayed. Mr. Probert said to me that he is still working on the Ent F and when he finishes it, he'll be maybe ready to post it. He didn't say anything else concerning publishing of my modified version of the F here, so I must assume that it wouldn't be such a good idea, at least for the time being. ;)
  • Admiral DanevAdmiral Danev171 Posts: 0Member
    Well, you can thank Gene Roddenberry's hand-picked successor Rick Berman for all of that. ;) However, you can also thank Gene. Under Gene's watch, they introduced species like the Borg and Cardassians to the Star Trek audiences and brought back the Romulans. When the Ent-D was designed, it was at a time of relative peace in the galaxy. The Klingons were our friends, the Romulans were (once again) tucked away behind their borders and the Cardassian war was over. However, in TNG, the Borg appeared for the first time and the Romulans made their grand reappearance. At the time of The Best of Both Worlds, Starfleet R&D was already working on more aggressive warships to fight the Borg, this was mentioned in the dialog. Gene was still alive at this time. Even though Rick had mostly taken over as executive producer by that time, I don't think he was doing much without at least a nod of approval from Gene. Then, in The Best of Both Worlds, the Federation got its butt handed to it by the Borg, who learned a lot about Starfleet's ships and defenses from Picard. This meant that Starfleet had to continue its evolution into more of a war-like entity and go even further with it. Plus, the Romulans were starting sh*t with the Federation and their ships were bigger and more powerful that Starfleet's finest, so that had to be taken into account. Now, after Gene died, they continued with the "more aggressive galaxy" routine by adding species like the Dominion and the Breen, as well as making the Cardassians (once again) our enemies. When the Ent-E was designed, there was the ever present threat of Borg attacks plus other bad stuff going on in the galaxy, including the existence of other hostile races to consider. The ship was simply designed for its time. So, you can say Gene would be rolling over in his grave about this stuff, but he kinda got the ball rolling. You can also thank the younger audiences who were watching TNG, DS9, etc. A lot of them wanted more action and fighting. I can guarantee you that DS9 wasn't doing so well before they added the Dominion into the mix and they started regularly getting into fights with them and (later) the Klingons, Cardassians, etc.

Good speech. Agreed TOTALLY.
    No, I wouldn't say its dead, just maybe delayed. Mr. Probert said to me that he is still working on the Ent F and when he finishes it, he'll be maybe ready to post it. He didn't say anything else concerning publishing of my modified version of the F here, so I must assume that it wouldn't be such a good idea, at least for the time being. ;)

No... this is probably my fault... I was the one who emailed Andy Probert with the link to this thread, because I figured he would enjoy seeing it, and he does... by all means, he wants you to continue with this, and is excited to see what you do with it... please do not think that just because his concept wasn't finished, that he doesn't want to see your model. If I'm wrong, Mr. Probert is sure to jump in and say so, but I'm sure that there's no issue with your continuing this model.
    No... this is probably my fault... I was the one who emailed Andy Probert with the link to this thread, because I figured he would enjoy seeing it, and he does... by all means, he wants you to continue with this, and is excited to see what you do with it... please do not think that just because his concept wasn't finished, that he doesn't want to see your model. If I'm wrong, Mr. Probert is sure to jump in and say so, but I'm sure that there's no issue with your continuing this model.

Ok, Ill try to post that new modifications and if Mr. Probert says something Ill just blame it on you lol :lol: