Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDerelict ships

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,189Member
    It's looking good so far.
  • rojrenrojren2425 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,995Member
    Started on the drive unit, added bits and bobs.

build0228x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Bored. Bored. Bored.

Looks like a 1980's Vegas hotel.

Moving on.

build0303a_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Hm, now that you mention it. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it looks that bad. However, it's not your best by far.
    Tag: 0000 011581-3221223
    Type: small tug / ROV
    (Orion 001.94-22142.06)
    Culture: Purity
    Est. Age: 265,000 years
    Size: 40m
    Nickname: Sunfish

This ship operates in tandem with another remotely operated ship. This one has the two-person control cabin and life support. One pilot runs this ship, the other pilot operates the ROV. Shown is the basic layout for the tractor beam emitter, the cabin windows, and the location of the forward drive unit (the cylinder).

JES
    Added to the drive unit, airlock assembly, and power grapple unit and trolley.

build0310x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    I like it. The drive unit is particularly nice.
    Thanks.

Added a few bits, and some color.

build0312x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Cool. I like how that render gives us a better look at the drive section. Man, that's cool. Everything else looks great too. :)
    I probably should do an actual render of one of these things some day.

Added bow thrusters, maneuvering thrusters, access hatches, and some markings. Still needs some spotlights, and the interior.

build0314x_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Looking great. I really like the alien looking writing you put on there. That's a nice touch.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    Looking great. I really like the alien looking writing you put on there. That's a nice touch.

agreed
    Worked on one of the control stations

chair0319c_thumb.jpg
    JES
    rojren wrote: »
    Worked on one of the control stations

chair0319c_thumb.jpg
    i think this is the first time you have done any interior work. well done on trying some, it really improves the ,model in the end.
    It looks good, but I'm glad I don't have to sit in that chair. It looks uncomfortable. But, I'm assuming it's not built for humans.
    It's for low-g or zero-g. It's more of a place to be fastened to than a comfy chair. I figured the max acceleration would be capped at around 0.2g. I'm thinking, since it's a hazardous workplace, the operators might be required to wear environment suits.
    i think this is the first time you have done any interior work. well done on trying some, it really improves the ,model in the end.

I've done one or two partial interiors. Nothing very detailed. Not that I ever do that much detail.

Now: some silliness:

cabinview2_thumb.jpg
    JES
    Added the ROV.

build0321x_thumb.jpg build0321x1_thumb.jpg build0321x2_thumb.jpg

Next:

shard_thumb.jpg

Tag: 0000 200041-3314473
    Type: cruiser
    (Orion 030.11-00057.51)
    Culture: Coh
    Est. Age: 37 thoudand years
    Size: 915m
    Nickname: Shard
    JES
    That came out great. I'm looking forward to the next one. :)
    Started on it. And I'll probably start over tomorrow.

build0324_thumb.jpg
    So, I guess there's no point in commenting. :p

Right now, it reminds me of the boomerang emblem on the side of the original Enterprise on Star Trek.
    So, I guess there's no point in commenting. :p ...

Is that one of those 'logic loop' things? (We need a 'head blowing up' smiley.)

Anyway, that does seem to be most people's guess unless it's for something festooned with nacelles.
    I say that to MadKoiFish all the time when he shows us something and says he's going to rebuild it. I figure, why bother offering feedback on something that won't be there tomorrow? I'll simply wait for the new version to offer feedback. ;)
    So I survived a case of Jurassic Death Plague stomach virus. Gah.

I started over with the front end of the ship.

build0401x_thumb.jpg
    Progressing.

build0403a_thumb.jpg
    Some more stuff.

build0404c_thumb.jpg
    This design is starting to grow on me, though it looks more like a building than a space ship. However, it's good that you're not just sticking to conventional ideas of what space ships should look like. :)
    I've been working on this thread for all but two years. I was hoping for more input from people, since I think I get much better results when others make suggestions. It's been pretty disappointing, though. Only evil_genius_180 comments with any regularity, and a couple of others sporadically. (You all know who you are - at least I hope you do. :) )

Assuming the view counter works correctly (and I'm not very confident about that) I get a lot of views for this thread, but not much in the way of critiques.

This place is almost all Star Trek now. And although I like Star Trek - it's been done to death. I've gotten to a point that I don't comment much, anymore because it all seems to end up in a technobabble debate.

I'm bored with this one too.
    build0407_thumb.jpg build0407a_thumb.jpg
    JES
    must agree that latest design, the triangular one, is pretty dull. i agree with your point about so much star trek on here, it's probably that way because star trek is(i think) the sci fi for which the most hours of tv/film have been produced.

with your triangle i do like some of the red stripe features on it and i think they could look good recycled onto other ships. my advice for you is to try building some stuff that is slightly less alien to the eye, because your best designs have certainly been the ones which look vaguely of human origin. i would suggest trying some more shuttle like shapes and large truss structured ships(sort of like the ship at the very start of avatar) as those have been your strongest designs so far. would also suggest moving to software that can put textures of some kind on the models, but that is entirely up to you. another thought is if you upload all of the old drawings(you are still basing your models on old sketches of yours aren't you?) and ask viewers to select which ones are best to design a full 3d ship from, you might have some better starting points because some drawn shapes(everyone starting 3d experiences this at somepoint) just don't work in more than 2 dimensions. another tip is look at the sort of shapes used on aircraft, ships and other sci-fi craft and use those to suggest the sort of shapes to use for small elements of the designs, one of the main changes this would cause in your models would be less intersecting structures.

p.s. high views, low comments on here: probably because you are always producing something new and interesting but some designs are so strange no one really knows what to say.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    I agree on that it looks more like a building rather than a spaceship, but I think that's part of the charm of the design, it's different.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio