Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TNG on Blu-Ray...coming soon

• Chris2005Chris2005675 Posts: 3,096Member
    Last month, StarTrek.com presented a First Look at the first trailer for the Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event, a one-night-only, in-theater experience -- to be held on July 23 at select theaters nationwide -- celebrating the July 24 release of Star Trek: The Next Generation -- Season One on Blu-ray. Now, as those two big days approach, we're thrilled to give fans an exclusive First Look at the second, extended trailer for Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event.

As a reminder, the Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event will be presented by NCM Fathom Events, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution, and it will feature the popular TNG's episodes "Where No One Has Gone Before" and "Datalore," chosen by longtime Trek experts Mike and Denise Okuda, as well as snippets of some Star Trek: The Next Generation -- Season One Blu-ray special features. Those features will include never-before-seen footage, new interviews and details about the comprehensive restoration project. Fans will also be treated to an extended preview of Star Trek: The Next Generation -- Season Two, to be released later this year on Blu-ray.

For the U.S: Buy tickets now for Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event at FathomEvents.com.

For Australia: Buy tickets now for Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event at SharmillFilms.com.

For Canada: Buy tickets now for Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event at Cineplex.com.

Source:
    http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-tng-movie-event-extended-trailer
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Source: TrekCore
    We've got hold of a brand new exclusive today for everyone eagerly anticipating Season 1 of Star Trek: The Next Generation on Blu-Ray. As a fan I've been intensely curious about how the remastering team will improve upon the infamously low-resolution "bitmap" planet shots from the first season, especially the notorious "Green Planet #1" which cropped up first in the episode as Angel One in "Angel One", only to reoccur in "The Arsenal of Freedom" as Minos, "The Royale" as Theta 116 VII and in "Sarek" as Legara IV.

Today TrekCore can exclusively reveal the transformation done by the remastering team on one of these appearances - the orbital shot of the Enterprise approaching Minos in Season 1's "The Arsenal of Freedom".

EP121_02_PLANET_BEFORE.jpg

EP121_02_PLANET_AFTER.jpg
    The shear contrast in these two shots is simply mind-blowing. Perhaps it is worth pointing out that this beautiful comparison illustrates yet again the team's shear determination to remain as faithful to the original show as possible. The remastered Minos uses the same green-white colour, and the areas of continents/cloud cover seem to be roughly in agreement with the original... However, gone are the awful jagged-edges around the Enterprise, a result of compositing the original orbital shot of the ship onto the planet background. The planet truly comes alive in the remastered shot - we can see variations in the colour of the continents indicating mountain ranges, topped by realistic cloud cover and all surrounded by a new halo of an atmosphere! It remains to be seen whether or not there will be any differences with the stock shot of this planet in the other three episodes in which it appears.

But wait! There's More!! We couldn't just bring you one new remastered shot - so here's another brand new Exclusive to Trekcore remastered shot, this time from the episode "Where No One Has Gone Before", part of an intense scene on the bridge where the crew are confronting Kosinski about his modifications to the warp drive:

STNG_EP106_BEFORE.jpg

STNG_EP106_AFTER.jpg
    The comparison illustrates yet again the night-and-day difference between the original SD version and the new HD master. I never get bored of seeing these shots! "Where No One Has Gone Before" always came across to me as incredibly over-exposed and bright. This has clearly been corrected in the remastered edition - with natural colours and flesh tones coming through just beautifully.

Stay tuned to TrekCore for more exclusives as we approach the release date of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-Ray set!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Thanks for sharing these, Chris. I watched Farpoint from the taster pack the other day. It's certainly not my favourite episode, but it looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing Best of Both Worlds remastered. :cool:
    Comco wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing these, Chris. I watched Farpoint from the taster pack the other day. It's certainly not my favourite episode, but it looks fantastic. Looking forward to seeing Best of Both Worlds remastered. :cool:

I'm thrilled by the remastering, I'm dying to see the quality...

Here are some comparisons. :)

SD transfer being the top image of each comparison.
    Arsenal of Freedom
    ArsenalofFreedom.png

Lonely Among Us
    LonelyAmongUs.png

Datalore
    bl.jpg

Where No One Has Gone Before
    bl2.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Two episodes are Justice, and Symbiosis.
    Justice
    Justice.jpg

JusticeR.jpg

Symbiosis

symbiosis049.jpg

symremastered.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Nice. Green tractor beam? Always thought the Feds had blue. That's a big change...Dun dun duh!
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Nice. Green tractor beam? Always thought the Feds had blue. That's a big change...Dun dun duh!

Well, you see, earlier in the episode Wesley was remodulating the inverse freem generators after a prolonged game of Fine the Naninte. He thought it would make finding his escaped nanites easier--and it did, but it had the unfortunate side effect of shifting the spectral frequencies of the tractor emitters down several isowaves causing the tractor beam to become green rather than blue. It also had the unfortunate secondary effect of adding depilatory cream to all of the bridge crew's showers, resulting in a run on holographic wigs for the next three episodes.

Solar flares were interfering with the tractor beam, so in the episode it surges, etc. just this particular screenshot shows it as green, when it's probably one of the surge moments...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    So, will the magic of Hi-Def cause S1 to suck less in the writing and acting departments?
    Jedilaw wrote: »
    So, will the magic of Hi-Def cause S1 to suck less in the writing and acting departments?

I personally love many of the S1 episodes...

The ones I like most:

Encounter at Farpoint, The Naked Now, The Last Outpost, Where No One Has Gone Before, Lonely Among Us, The Battle, Datalore, 11001001, The Arsenal of Freedom, Skin of Evil, Conspiracy, and The Neutral Zone.

I can't wait to see the Romulan D'deridex class warbird in HD. :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »

The ones I like most:

Encounter at Farpoint, The Naked Now, The Last Outpost, Where No One Has Gone Before, Lonely Among Us, The Battle, Datalore, 11001001, The Arsenal of Freedom, Skin of Evil, Conspiracy, and The Neutral Zone.

Conspiracy should be fun in HD :p
    Melak wrote: »
    Conspiracy should be fun in HD :p

Yea, that exploding head, haha.

According to the interview TrekCore had with Mike and Denise Okuda, the Enterprise diagram that shows up in Data's search, I think in the episode "The Naked Now," showed the Connie Refit, however, they said that's been corrected with TOS Connie diagram...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member

The ones I like most:

I agree, S1 has some great episodes. There are only a couple I don't really like that well. Those are all great episodes. Haven and Heart of Glory are a couple more really good ones. I love the introduction of Lwaxana Troi in Haven and we got to see our first really good glimpses of the Klingon culture in Heart of Glory.

I'm looking forward to seeing ALL of the ships in HD. :D
    Some more screenies. :D
    Enterprise orbiting Earth
    EnterpriseEarth.jpg

Enterprise Fire Weapons
    EnterpriseFiring.jpg

Enterprise attacked by Crystalline Entity
    EntityAttacks.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    S2 and S3 are where it really got good, to me.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I'm that way with DS9. S1 is "meh" but it picked up in S2 and 3.
    SD
    wherenoone105.jpg
    HD
    wherenoone_hd.jpg
    SD
    arsenal_sd.jpg
    HD
    arsenal_hd.jpg
    SD
    vlcsnap-2012-07-14-15h48m13s192.png
    HD
    spacedocklarge.png
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • japetusjapetus2937 SeattlePosts: 1,397Member
    DAAAAAAAAYUM that spacestation looks incredible!!! :o
    Here: http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/star-trek-the-next-generation-season-one-blu-ray-review.html

Some stills:
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_04.jpg
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_12.jpg
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_13.jpg
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_14.jpg
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_15.jpg
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_18.jpg
    Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_26.jpg
    Unfortunately the site has given each still an ugly watermark and compressed the images so they don't represent the true quality of the HD transfer.

TrekCore will, when they get the set, post full (unwatermarked!) HD screencap collections of the episodes.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    In their last interview with TrekMovie, Mike Okuda mentioned that they used Tobias Richter's CG model to replace one of the saucer separation shots. Interestingly enough, I found it was one of the shots they had re-scanned and used for Generations.
    SaucerSep.jpg
    Top: Farpoint Middle: Generations Bottom: TNGR

I wonder why they couldn't find they original. Did the VFX team for Generations not put it back where it belonged?
    96599.jpg
  • count23count23361 Posts: 779Member
    It's dissapointing really, Tobias does great work and his shots of that ship look much better then what CBS did there and with the later energy beam shot. What is it about CBS that makes them churn out lazy special effects shots like that? It's made worse when you know the quality is actually there!
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Nadesico wrote: »
    It's dissapointing really, Tobias does great work and his shots of that ship look much better then what CBS did there and with the later energy beam shot. What is it about CBS that makes them churn out lazy special effects shots like that? It's made worse when you know the quality is actually there!

It all comes down to budget, which is sad really, because I see some people do excellent stuff on no budget, aka done freely...

I don't believe the later shot with the energy beam from EaF was Tobias' model... nor did it look like the original stock shot in terms of lighting, etc... so it may be a different CG model...

I'm not sure why they couldn't use the original film element for the underside shot in the separation sequence either...

According to the Okuda's... the underside shot was one of the rare shots for which some of the film elements couldn't be located. CBS Digital used the digital model by Tobias and it was modified by Niel Wray for this shot.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Nadesico wrote: »
    It all comes down to budget, which is sad really, because I see some people do excellent stuff on no budget, aka done freely...
    I don't really believe it all comes down to budget, it doesn't take budget to light the models more brightley to match the show, or to get rid of that bloom that makes things look fuzzy, or to set a proper blending mode on the nacelle glows...

it seems like they're stuck in BSG mode where everything was grey and blurry, I always remembered the enterprise being bright white and clear
    I don't believe the later shot with the energy beam from EaF was Tobias' model... nor did it look like the original stock shot in terms of lighting, etc... so it may be a different CG model...
    you got a screen shot of this by any chance?
    IRML wrote: »
    I don't really believe it all comes down to budget, it doesn't take budget to light the models more brightley to match the show, or to get rid of that bloom that makes things look fuzzy, or to set a proper blending mode on the nacelle glows...

it seems like they're stuck in BSG mode where everything was grey and blurry, I always remembered the enterprise being bright white and clear

Budget is the most common response I get to the question of the quality of the visual effects... of course, I do know that according to the Okuda's as well, they (as in those doing the re-compositing) are adding a splash of color to shots, to help make the ships match their environment more...

Here for example:

Star-Trek-TNG-S1_BD_15.jpg
    you got a screen shot of this by any chance?

vlcsnap-2012-07-18-05h41m05s126.png
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    New images from "The Naked Now"

409676_474837432529049_905910135_n.jpg

576129_474837449195714_1531706254_n.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    oh that one, yeah I remember that, very strange looking
    oh that one, yeah I remember that, very strange looking

It looks a lot like a redressed version of the CG model seen later in Trek...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • doubleofivedoubleofive0 Posts: 0Member
    I think you're right. I overlayed the original and the remastered and have been flipping back and forth. The ring around the Captain's Yacht is the wrong shape, the inset windows on the underside of the saucer aren't inset but flush with the hull, the nacelle pylons are more thick, the saucer is a bit too elliptical.
    I think you're right. I overlayed the original and the remastered and have been flipping back and forth. The ring around the Captain's Yacht is the wrong shape, the inset windows on the underside of the saucer aren't inset but flush with the hull, the nacelle pylons are more thick, the saucer is a bit too elliptical.

Yea.

... and on another note...

The Season 2 Trailer... omg omg omg

Here's the video:

Due to a directive from CBS, video no longer available.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    if you're meaning the one used in generations, and then voyager and ds9, then no - I have this model and it's much more accurate than that

I would say it's cg, but it's not a model I recognise

season 2 trailer is very cool btw