Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TNG on Blu-Ray...coming soon

• Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Yaric wrote: »
    So I've been out for a couple months and just getting back to this thread and see that Tobias' model is being used for some shots and got to thinking. Will the 4 footer be used in any of the new HD editions in the later seasons or was all the 4 footer footage not shot on film because ILM didn't do those shots? That would be a shame if all the 4 footer shots were replaced by CG, the 4 footer is my favorite by far even if it is a little chunky... Paramount is still in possession of the 4 footer, they could just re-shoot the shots too :) That is I guess if anyone remembers how to run any of that old motion control equipment...

Personally, I don't care for the 4 foot model... I asked Andrew Probert why they made the 4 foot model, and to quote Probert verbatim, and mind you it's rather blunt:
    Rob Legato, the guy in charge of VFX, threw a tantrum over the fact that the Enterprise didn't have all the model-part crap "detailing" of the Battlestar: Galactica, or Nostromo from Alien, or the Discovery from 2001,... the list goes on. He said he couldn't film it because it was too smooth (stupidity). Well, duh... the Enterprise has always been smooth, dummy! He also said it was too big, so he insisted another model be built (ego) and the Producers did just that (stupidity). A smaller, thicker-scaled, model [4' vs. 6'] was built with all the over-scaled plating Legato said he 'needed' to create HIS Battlestar: Enterprise (stupidity & ego).

The 6 foot model has a much better streamlined look... which is why I'm glad they went with it in Generations and in later Trek series' even all the way to ST: Enterprise.

Out of remastered sampler, only one shot from "The Inner Light" was replaced with Tobias' CG model... that I saw... the rest is stock shots...

In "Encounter at Farpoint" the 4 foot model didn't exist then, so it's 99% the 6 foot model, with I think 3 total CG model shots... however, I'm not sure if the "alien vessel" is a CG element or not... in the old or remastered version...

Farpoint21.jpg

Only 1 shot in "Sins of the Father" is CG, the opening shot, all the other shots use 6 foot model stock shots...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Well if you get right down to it, I know for a fact that the 4 footer was built for more than just those reason's listed. In reading about filming the 4 footer vs the 6 footer, everything says it was WAY easier to handle, light, film, etc. As we are seeing, now especially, the resolution blowed hard with NTSC and to see any sort of paneling detail it did have to be exagerated to show up with 480 lines of resolution. Also, because of the decisions to build the 10-forward set, the only model that is in fact truely accurate is the 4 foot model which has the proper deck spacing and proper window configurations.

I agree the 6 footer is a bit more sleek looking and "streamlined" but hell, you're in space you don't necessarily need to be streamlined...

And aside from all that, the four footer is part of star trek, like it or not, and should be left in. The "egos", power trips, people, etc. are what made the show what it was whether for good or bad and if they don't like that they're gonna be no better than George Lucas in going back and rewritting history :(
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    yeah that quote contradicts things I've heard before, and sounds a little too bitchy to take literally

the main reason I heard time and time again was that they used to film with two models, a 2 foot for distance shots and a 6 foot for everything else, but they could get almost everything done with a single model somewhere in the middle, thus the 4 foot was born

and then like yaric says the reasons for the way it looked were to do with detail showing up at NTSC res and deck heights etc

I'm pretty sure I've already seen a screenshot with the 4 foot model, I doubt they would replace it unless they were missing footage
    Well if you get right down to it, I know for a fact that the 4 footer was built for more than just those reason's listed. In reading about filming the 4 footer vs the 6 footer, everything says it was WAY easier to handle, light, film, etc. As we are seeing, now especially, the resolution blowed hard with NTSC and to see any sort of paneling detail it did have to be exagerated to show up with 480 lines of resolution. Also, because of the decisions to build the 10-forward set, the only model that is in fact truely accurate is the 4 foot model which has the proper deck spacing and proper window configurations.

I agree the 6 footer is a bit more sleek looking and "streamlined" but hell, you're in space you don't necessarily need to be streamlined...

And aside from all that, the four footer is part of star trek, like it or not, and should be left in. The "egos", power trips, people, etc. are what made the show what it was whether for good or bad and if they don't like that they're gonna be no better than George Lucas in going back and rewritting history :(

Well, it's what Andrew told me... I can screen grab the email, if anyone doubts me... just saying. :)

Yes, and Andrew had this to say about the Lounge/Ten Foward:
    As for the lounge set,... Producer Berman, even though I provided multiple sets of huge windows meant for group areas all over the ship, insisted (ego) that there be a lounge [10-forward] in the saucer rim. Okay, that would be fine if they had honored the scale of the ship and the windows already designed into the rim which is about 10 feet high (exterior dimension) at that point, but a heavy saucer rim reenforcement plate would have made the interior maybe 7 feet high. Yes, that may be enough height for the lounge but the windows (at the rim) are divided by the rim's sensor strip. Instead of creating a lounge that had windows at the ceiling & floor corners,... they eluded that the rim is over twice that height by creating (a version of) the lower set of windows for the lounge (stupidity).

He also provided me his initial diagram of what the rim was designed to look like, from the inside... and told me that now that I know, spread the word.

Well, the design of the 6 foot model is nicer in my humble opinion.

Yes, it's part of Trek, unfortunately.

Which is why I was so adamant about getting accurate textures for Prologic9's Galaxy model... and JMoney came in and saved the day, for us all, since they weren't made specifically for me... as I'm going to use the that to replace all the 4 foot model shots... if I can, as the 4 foot model looks like it was squashed from the left and right sides, to make everything thicker in height... and my quality may not be as extravagant to others talented ways with eye candy effects... but that's another subject.
    IRML wrote: »
    yeah that quote contradicts things I've heard before, and sounds a little too bitchy to take literally

Well, that's what Probert sent me... because I was asking him questions about the 6 foot model, because I wanted to know some exact colors for certain objects like the deflector area, etc. He might be a little melodramatic... but I can understand his position...
    the main reason I heard time and time again was that they used to film with two models, a 2 foot for distance shots and a 6 foot for everything else, but they could get almost everything done with a single model somewhere in the middle, thus the 4 foot was born

and then like yaric says the reasons for the way it looked were to do with detail showing up at NTSC res and deck heights etc

Well, the quote is as is, when I got it in the email... so unless Andrew is lying... or he's telling the truth... and I bank on the latter...
    I'm pretty sure I've already seen a screenshot with the 4 foot model, I doubt they would replace it unless they were missing footage

Yes, out of the remastered sampler episodes, and the only 2 included, that were made at or after the 3rd season, which could of made use of the 4 foot model, Sins of the Father is part of Season 3, The Inner Light did use the original episode shots for the most part, only the opening shot used Tobias' CG model...

innerlight_hd_103.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I had forgot that the had already restored "the inner light" Yay, 4 footer!

At least on the CG they are using Tobias model and not that monstrosity that was made for the final episode of Enterprise. I don't remember who exactly made that on here but it was just not right in so many ways... One shot I'm curious to see how is redone is the shot in the episode "the wounded" when Maxwell and O'brien look out the window while on the Nebula class and see the Enterprise. I remember it looking REALLY blocky, basically a really badly lit shot of the 4 footer. I wonder if they'll keep that.
    I had forgot that the had already restored "the inner light" Yay, 4 footer!

At least on the CG they are using Tobias model and not that monstrosity that was made for the final episode of Enterprise. I don't remember who exactly made that on here but it was just not right in so many ways... One shot I'm curious to see how is redone is the shot in the episode "the wounded" when Maxwell and O'brien look out the window while on the Nebula class and see the Enterprise. I remember it looking REALLY blocky, basically a really badly lit shot of the 4 footer. I wonder if they'll keep that.

The CG Enterprise D model used in the final episode was made by Gabe Koerner I believe... it wasn't too bad, it seemed a bit too glossy... but what else was wrong with it?

I remember seeing that episode once, I need to re-watch it, lol.

This shot?
    thewounded244.jpg

Well, I still stand by my fondness of the 6 foot model... the only thing that really bothers me of the 4 foot is the over-sized paneling... it's supposed to be more advanced than any of Kirk's ships, yet the paneling on the 4 foot model's paneling makes it look like the Enterprise was made in our century...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Yeah, i guess that's the shot. I remember it looking worse though... The enterprise D in the final episode of Enterprise had the secondary hull and deflector dish all wrong. Looks to me like he modeled it after the scifi-art enterprise D, lol. The warp nacelles looked pretty bad also.
    Yeah, i guess that's the shot. I remember it looking worse though... The enterprise D in the final episode of Enterprise had the secondary hull and deflector dish all wrong. Looks to me like he modeled it after the scifi-art enterprise D, lol. The warp nacelles looked pretty bad also.

Here is a shot:

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x22/thesearethevoyages017.jpg

... and here is the 6 foot model:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IYihBiTh-cM/TUaHRXeGzBI/AAAAAAAAEyk/bxl0mi9Bj00/s1600/enterprise-d-6ft-4ft-fore.jpg

Seems close to me...

The only thing really off to me, is the main shuttle bay area

http://ent.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/4x22/thesearethevoyages016.jpg

As opposed to the 6 foot model:

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x01/farpoint_hd_038.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9797 Posts: 5,323Member
    lol nice shadow bias on that shuttle bay cowling. >_<

I think he is referring to the lack of pinch in the deflector housing and secondary hull.

BTW trekcore fails at linking due to some butthurt hotlink bs so for those having issues just open a new window and drag the link in.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,281Member
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    lol nice shadow bias on that shuttle bay cowling. >_<
    It's sort of a tradition. They screwed up the exact same thing in a shot of Voyager that was re-used to death throughout the show:
    Okay, did a little draft render real fast with prologic's enterprise to illustrate what's wrong with it... Matched the angle and size best I could and the deflector is just not right. Basically it's squished down far too much and the lines are to hard.

out1.jpg

out2.jpg
    95122.jpg95123.jpg
    lennier1 wrote: »
    It's sort of a tradition. They screwed up the exact same thing in a shot of Voyager that was re-used to death throughout the show:

yup, couldn't even render out the same shot from the opposite side, they just flopped this shot, so the red/green navigational lights go back and forth, lol.
    Okay, did a little draft render real fast with prologic's enterprise to illustrate what's wrong with it... Matched the angle and size best I could and the deflector is just not right. Basically it's squished down far too much and the lines are to hard.

out1.jpg

out2.jpg

Ah, ok.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    lol yeah I remember those Voyager ones I used to wonder wtf was going on in that area way back when those were still airing on tv. Did not know squat about 3d back then. Hahah Those scenes other than the odd wobbles in the mesh still hold up today though. I mean yeah it could be done better but eh.
    Interesting is the 4footer image Chris linked to further up shows some decent detail on the sensor pits where the larger model has nothing in that area. I do not think I have any ref images of the 4footer, or if any exist that are not so low rez as to be useless. Wonder what happened to that model anyhow. lol

I really hated that heavy paneling and the distorted hull on the 4 footer, the deflector being the worst of it all along with that sharp neck transition.
    Interesting is the 4footer image Chris linked to further up shows some decent detail on the sensor pits where the larger model has nothing in that area. I do not think I have any ref images of the 4footer, or if any exist that are not so low rez as to be useless. Wonder what happened to that model anyhow. lol

I really hated that heavy paneling and the distorted hull on the 4 footer, the deflector being the worst of it all along with that sharp neck transition.

I hear they still have a hold of the 4 foot model...

Yea, the only problem I have with the 4 foot is the design differences with the 6 foot model, and the heavy paneling... if they made the model similar in overall design to the 6 foot model, in terms of curves, shapes, etc. and then added the extra detail, short of that hull paneling, I'd have no complaints... but it's the design changes that bother me... because the 4 foot gives a different scale... as well as the Ten Forward set... here is the sketch Probert sent me, about the lounge design he initially drew...

NG_INT3.jpg

He also intended the bussards to be more in color like the TOS Enterprise, he said a frosty-bulb tan... not the cherry red color, he personally thinks that color looks stupid, he said he wanted to have as many details transferred from the TOS ship to the new 'D' as he could, in a subliminal way.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Yeah I seen that image on his old blog/website In some ways I would think the old observation room would have been more dramatic. Probably a hell of a lot more difficult to build though. That and justifying the oddities it would have created with the windows being like that and having to access other rooms to change out sensor hardware.

THe bussards shrug, back then in the 70s and 80s TOS enterprise looked like a orange red glowing balls of light all the fine detail was not seen on tv for some time later. So for me seeing the D on screen in the late 80s gave that impression of TOS details returning. It was not until the TOS transfers to dvd did I ever see the detail that was on the TOS studio model. Even print from those old days was horrible. What I did like about the bussards, least on the 8ft one was when off they had that frosted white finish.

Even with all the things I dislike about this or that though I am glad they are keeping this transfer as original as possible. I am still debating though if I will get this preview or spring whole hog for the entire series.

Ah I stand corrected Doug did post a few grainy pics of the 4footer. Mostly all full ship images though heh. Odd they used it for projecting textures on the 3d work instead of the larger model.
    I think the sampler could have had 2 better episodes... EaF was fine, series pilot... but the other 2 were less than exhilarating, and from what I've read weren't really fan favorites, many people think they were just trying to please critics, not fans with the sampler, but I can't wait to see some of Season 1's episodes remastered, especially the warp out shot in "The Naked Now" I still don't get why it look so dreadful, even though it was the same shot used in the opening credits... minus the star fragment...

Sins of the Father was meh, The Inner Light was touching at the end, when Picard finally realizes what's going on, but it was overall a modest episode.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I don't think it looked bad, but I did think it was a waste of time and money building it because it was so similar in quality and resolution to the generations model that had been used in lots of TV episodes already, if anything I think the generations model was slightly better
    Wasn't the 8footer repainted for generations?
    Wonder what happened to that model anyhow.

The official story that I have been able to find is that the 4 footer was stolen for several years and finally returned and was all broken and drilled and stained from sitting in a kitchen for years. Once it was returned to Paramount I guess they finally got around to restoring it/repairing it and now it's supposedly on tour with some various shows they are doing. I'd really like to find out exactly where it is and finally be able to take some detail pics of it like was done with the 6 footer. There was a star trek thing here at Nasa last year and I'm not sure if it was there or not. I went to Nasa about a week before the star trek thing came and just couldn't justify paying to go again about a week later to maybe see the 4 footer.
    It was the 6 footer, it had cracks and coffee stains all over it...
    B_MODELL_GALGENHQ_004.jpg

B_MODELL_GALGENHQ_005.jpg

B_MODELL_GALGENHQ_094.jpg

B_MODELL_GALGENHQ_109.jpg

However, it does appear the 4 foot model was used in Generations...

Click for larger image.
    generationshd1115.jpg

As the deflector shape matches that of the 4 foot model...

Click for larger image.
    B_MODELL_GALTNGHQ_009.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    in generations they reused as much tv fx as they could, so that's probably why it's there
    The six footer just has water damage from storage not coffee stains and a damaged nacelle from storage also from what I've read. The four footer was the one in the Chinese restaurant.

Here is a picture after it was returned
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Galaxy_Class_USS_Venture_4-foot_studio_model_upon_return_to_Paramount_Pictures.jpg

There is another picture I've seen somewhere that actually shows the nacelle almost completely broken off the four footer.

Edit: here it is.
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110604133015/memoryalpha/en/images/archive/1/13/20120106175119!Galaxy_Class_USS_Venture_4-foot_studio_model_upon_return_to_Paramount_Pictures.jpg
    The six footer just has water damage from storage not coffee stains and a damaged nacelle from storage also from what I've read. The four footer was the one in the Chinese restaurant.

Here is a picture after it was returned
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Galaxy_Class_USS_Venture_4-foot_studio_model_upon_return_to_Paramount_Pictures.jpg

There is another picture I've seen somewhere that actually shows the nacelle almost completely broken off the four footer.

Edit: here it is.
    http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110604133015/memoryalpha/en/images/archive/1/13/20120106175119!Galaxy_Class_USS_Venture_4-foot_studio_model_upon_return_to_Paramount_Pictures.jpg

ah, ok.

Dang, even though I don't care for the 4 foot model... that's terrible :/
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    It was appalling to see the condition of the 6-footer from the auction... like a grand old lady who'd been mistreated. :(
    Well none of the things were meant to last forever. The amounts of bondo and other crap that are very humidity sensitive when applied cause a lot of issues later. Not to mention some of the decals like the ENT C that looked like it used Avery price labels for the lifeboats. I have to say trek models suffered less than other shows models have. Some of the Aliens stuff was just left to rot in the weather. My disbelief is how someone could steal the ship display it and not get arrested for theft. Funny how I read it was over a grill in some bbq joint vs a Chinese place. Maybe it was one of those mongolian bbq places. I know how people like to merge up asians.

Odd to I could swear it was the larger ship too HAH goes to show how memory isn't all that in the end!
    It’s official. Star Trek: The Next Generation – The First Season will be available on Blu-ray beginning July 24, via CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Media Distribution. As readers of StarTrek.com know from our extensive coverage of The Next Level sampler set, The First Season is timed to the 25th anniversary of TNG and the footage has been transferred from film to high-definition, complete with superior visual effects and sound.

The First Season will be packaged as six-disc set, with all 26 episodes, from the two-hour “Encounter at Farpoint” to “The Neutral Zone.” Bonus material will include episodic promos, several documentaries (about TNG’s history, the HD transfer process, memorable missions and more), behind-the-scenes interviews and a gag reel.

Check out the Blu-ray images below and visit EW.com to see an exclusive clip from the episode “Where No One Has Gone Before.”

http://www.startrek.com/article/tng-the-first-season-blu-ray-arrives-on-july-24

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/30/star-trek-tng-blu-ray-season-1/#more-83963

The images are dismally small though. :/
    STTNG_S1_Still_PK_105-009-After.jpg

STTNG_S1_Still_PK_112-048-After.jpg

STTNG_S1_Still_PK_115-012-After.jpg

STTNG_S1_Still_PK_116-001-After.jpg

STTNG_S1_Still_PK_119-006-After.jpg

STTNG_S1_Still_PK_125-044-After.jpg

STTNG_S1_Still_PK_125-060-Before1.jpg

The video quality is alright, but not spectacular.

Or just go here:

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/#s1prevpic2

:D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    **NOT AN ADVERTISEMENT, JUST INFO**

2 TNG episodes are coming to the big screen! :D

NCM Fathom and CBS TV are coming together to present a special one night event to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
    Star Trek: The Next Generation 25th Anniversary Event
    In Select Movie Theaters Nationwide
    Monday, July 23rd at 7:00 PM (local time)
    Only One Night!

This summer A“boldly go where no one has gone beforeA” and donA’t miss the only opportunity to see two of the most popular Next Generation episodes, Ep. 106 A“Where No One Has Gone BeforeA” and Ep. 114 A“DataloreA” on the big screen.

http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/startrektng.aspx
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Those are good episodes, but it would be better if at least one of them had been one with some space battle scenes in it, IMO. That would be cool to see on the big screen. :) Though, Where No One Has Gone Before does have some spectacular special effects in it.
    Those are good episodes, but it would be better if at least one of them had been one with some space battle scenes in it, IMO. That would be cool to see on the big screen. :) Though, Where No One Has Gone Before does have some spectacular special effects in it.

The funny thing is, the whole of Season 1 will be released in the US the following day, the 24th... and on the same day, the 23rd, in the UK... from what I've read... so it'll be released over there on BR... so chances are, snippets will find their way online, via YouTube, etc. so, it seems like a waste of money to me... the closest theater around here is $12.50 a person... I might go with a friend of mine, if he can go too...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro