Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TNG on Blu-Ray...coming soon

• IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    yeah just link that one, youtube compression is crap enough once, no one wants to see a video compressed twice
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    IRML wrote: »
    yeah just link that one, youtube compression is crap enough once, no one wants to see a video compressed twice

Well, here are 2 links:

Both were uploaded 10 hours ago, exact time, I don't know... however, the one I downloaded was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocqyDeIWOiU
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    A question I have, is how do they adequately map the motion of the backgrounds to match the motion of the camera/model... since there aren't any tracking points... for example, on the shot where the Enterprise is orbiting the planet at 0:42... or in some cases that shot was used to just show the Enterprise traveling at impulse against an empty starfield.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Good question. I'm actually not sure if the stars were digital back then or (more likely) just a curtain/drop in the same way they used for the starfields seen out windows. If it is a curtain, it might be filmed in a separate pass at the same time the model is being shot. If it is done completely separately, they might be able to pull the tracking data (x, y, z coordinates) out of the motion control camera rig and use them?
    I reckon on set with the actors it was a real backdrop, but for the model shots it would be CG, the motion control setup was surely animated on computer by then so it wouldn't be a stretch to use the same data to render a starfield, all they need is the rotation of the camera, movement wouldn't matter because the stars are supposed to be so far away
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    It's pretty fun seeing their lighting setups at :19 and :43. You see white cards and black cards.
    I got a hold of an original video as in pre-YT original, which has a bit rate is 8.9Mbps or 1.11MB/s whereas the previous video that was re-uploaded to YouTube is 2.6Mbps or 0.32MB/s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJi6ZdugIFw

I can upload the original MP4 video somewhere, but it's over 100MB in size...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • japetusjapetus2957 SeattlePosts: 1,399Member
    Why do you keep posting the video? We have the youtube link posted many times already.
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    IRML wrote: »
    I reckon on set with the actors it was a real backdrop, but for the model shots it would be CG, the motion control setup was surely animated on computer by then so it wouldn't be a stretch to use the same data to render a starfield, all they need is the rotation of the camera, movement wouldn't matter because the stars are supposed to be so far away

At one point I remember thinking that the stars in STNG were 2 dimensional, scrolling like the background of an old video game. My memory on why I think this is fuzzy but if you watch all CG shots from Enterprise or Voyager, you can see that when the stars move they don't shift with perspective. I remember trying to recreate that effect instead of using a sphere of stars because I thought it made the stars look bigger and further away.

Not sure if that's helpful to the topic or not, but if I'm right about it being 2d, then it'd really only take rotation info from the camera (as IRML said) to tell a computer program somewhere what to draw.
    japetus wrote: »
    Why do you keep posting the video? We have the youtube link posted many times already.

Well, the original one I posted was a re-upload from another YouTube video... so IRML wanted the original, well, there were 2 videos uploaded at the same time, so I gave him both videos to decide which one looked better, and then just now today, I got a hold of a video I know hasn't been put on YouTube, so I uploaded it to YouTube, which is the video I just posted above your reply just now... I'll put the others in spoiler tags, to make it less cluttered.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I think the question is more about why you'd re-upload anything instead of linking to the original source?
    NanoGator wrote: »
    I think the question is more about why you'd re-upload anything instead of linking to the original source?

Well, the higher quality upload to my YouTube channel was really for my subscribers... but I posted it here as well for those that may just want to see it, rather than wait for it to download, etc.

However, here is the link, of where I got the better bit rate version:
    http://downloads.scifinews.de/file_82234.html
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Season 1 Intro:

Someone uploaded it to YouTube in up to 4096p... granted it's only 1080p, but now I'm dying to see the episodes... :argh:
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Nice but they went a lil crazy on the bloom. Heh

Ahhh I should grab this.
    NanoGator wrote: »
    Nice but they went a lil crazy on the bloom. Heh

Ahhh I should grab this.

I hadn't noticed the bloom, haha.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Here is the later version of the credits:

Uploaded by the same guy. :D
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    There's actually people visible walking around through the window of the briefing room (?) on the back of the bridge module! I wonder if that was added for the Blu-ray edition. Surely they wouldn't have gone to the trouble for the original tv release. Either way it looks great. :cool:
    Comco wrote: »
    There's actually people visible walking around through the window of the briefing room (?) on the back of the bridge module! I wonder if that was added for the Blu-ray edition. Surely they wouldn't have gone to the trouble for the original tv release. Either way it looks great. :cool:

It was in the original, but it was hard to see... and here is another clip... this one featuring I believe Tobias' model...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9802 Posts: 5,326Member
    Memory serves that was in the original version.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.

I'll also do the Saucer Sep Sequence if you want...

The stars don't appear to be new at least up until after the first Enterprise shot... just the original negative re-scanned...

Did the best matching, when you'd get one shot matched, the next shot will be off... so I just kind of tried to get the timings close...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    lol at the aliased titles on the first one
    Here is a few more screenshots:
    IMG1.jpg

IMG2.jpg

IMG3.jpg

IMG4.jpg

IMG5.png

IMG7.png

IMG8.png

I'll have a few more screenshots, and some clips soon. :D

Tobias' model... ;)

vlcsnap-2012-02-05-08h06m54s171.png

IMG00001.png

IMG00002.png
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    I really enjoyed the blu ray though the darkness of the ship shot's is a bit weird getting used to.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    damn, now i want to see it! is it to much to hope that CBS uploaded the remastered EaF to youtube? ;)
    Just a little oopsy, in 'The Inner Light'... :p

IMG00041.png
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    After watching these three episodes, I have to say that I'm quite ready for more! They really look fantastic.
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah I agree, looking forward to the detail on the exploding head alien guy at the end of Season 1 haha.

Does anyone know why the ship shots were made incredibly dark, especially against the very pale and vibrant blue of the deflector, it really makes the ship look like it's CG and not a physical model any more.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    "Apr 11, 2012: Missing footage from 'Sins of the Father' found?

Reports have surfaced that the missing 13 seconds of original film elements from Season 3's "Sins of the Father" has now been located. We originally reported on the missing footage back in November when the remastering team were forced to use upconverted SD material to fill the void in the episode which was featured on January's "Next Level" sampler release.

Answering a question on his Facebook page, Robert Meyer Burnett (responsible for creating documentaries on the 1st Season TNG Blu Ray set) has stated that the remastering team have now tracked down the missing elements which will be edited back into the episode for the release of the Season 3 Blu-Ray boxset. According to Burnett,

"It was indeed found and replaced. For the season three box set, SINS will be intact. We deal with this in a documentary for Season One."

This is indeed excellent news - we remain hopeful that any further missing elements will have a minimal impact on this project. We have been unable to validate Burnett's statements with CBS, but it would seem as though they are credible given the source.

We also have word that CBS are starting to prepare for pre-release publicity for the first season, so expect official news to start emerging soon!" - TrekCore

Also, Season 1 is expected July 23rd... so I decided, perhaps, I can use some of the shots from the sampler, and mesh them into this episode, granted, they're not the full clip or correct clip, but they're the same shot more or less, but that gives me the chance to blend them, to show the difference the shot may have... hopefully they fix that dismal warp out shot... I mean, it's the same shot as the credits, basically, yet in the episode it looks dismal in quality...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    So I've been out for a couple months and just getting back to this thread and see that Tobias' model is being used for some shots and got to thinking. Will the 4 footer be used in any of the new HD editions in the later seasons or was all the 4 footer footage not shot on film because ILM didn't do those shots? That would be a shame if all the 4 footer shots were replaced by CG, the 4 footer is my favorite by far even if it is a little chunky... Paramount is still in possession of the 4 footer, they could just re-shoot the shots too :) That is I guess if anyone remembers how to run any of that old motion control equipment...