Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

TNG on Blu-Ray...coming soon

• ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    lol, like the upside down Ent B on the st6 special features DVD.

upside+down+ship.jpg
    gotta admit though, it is one of those lol things where it is some sort of sad injoke for fans. >_<

I'm just amazed at the amount of incompetent people that walk this earth sometimes :p
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member

I decided to take the small preview in the trailer, and add the music from the first episode of TNG... and match it up the best I could... granted the blu-ray version will no doubt contain better versions of the music and sound FX... at least in quality...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Not that it's all that important but I'm wondering if they're going to try to fix any of the mistakes that were made on the show when they do all of this. Like the bussards being blue instead of red in certain shots in the first episode, or the phasers firing out of the photon tube or data saying, "releasing gas from bussard collectors" and then an energy beam firing out somewhere from the saucer section.

I imagine they'll probably see the problem that now you'll probably be able to see Geordi's black elastic band holding on his visor now too. Before in SD it was so crappy you couldn't see it. Also, i bet Brent Spiner's make up is not going to look so good now :O
    Yaric wrote: »
    Not that it's all that important but I'm wondering if they're going to try to fix any of the mistakes that were made on the show when they do all of this. Like the bussards being blue instead of red in certain shots in the first episode, or the phasers firing out of the photon tube or data saying, "releasing gas from bussard collectors" and then an energy beam firing out somewhere from the saucer section.

I imagine they'll probably see the problem that now you'll probably be able to see Geordi's black elastic band holding on his visor now too. Before in SD it was so crappy you couldn't see it. Also, i bet Brent Spiner's make up is not going to look so good now :O

I was talking to Andrew Probert about that problems they did, with the phasers firing out of the photon tube, etc.

From what I hear, the visual effects will be recompositioned, not up-scaled, because they're not good enough for 1080p... which you can see, the effects in the warp clip, the warp nacelle flash, and the warp flare, as well as the background stars, etc. are all new CG effects... not the original effects.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    When did the blue bussards thing happen...?

I ask because the way that model was filmed, they'd have to go out of their way to make that happen.
    NanoGator wrote: »
    When did the blue bussards thing happen...?

I ask because the way that model was filmed, they'd have to go out of their way to make that happen.

In some instances with the 4 foot model, I've noticed a slight bluish sliver show up around the nacelle housing on the bussard side...

bestofbothworldstwo627.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • YaricYaric0 Posts: 0Member
    Well don't ask me how they did it... but they did somehow. Here is my crappy screen shot from my phone, but you can clearly see they are blue. Looks like it might be the two footer.

photo.JPG
    91635.JPG
    Yaric wrote: »
    Well don't ask me how they did it... but they did somehow. Here is my crappy screen shot from my phone, but you can clearly see they are blue. Looks like it might be the two footer.

photo.JPG

lol, I completely forgot that shot... so I was looking all over to find a shot... here is that shot directly from the episode...

farpoint1_035.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    oh wow! How the heck did that happen?
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    I'm really looking forward to this!

The 6 foot model looks amazing, stilling to going to be interesting seeing the 4 foot model differences when it appears in the later seasons, the deflector shape on it is all kinds of wrong haha!
    I do hope they improve on the warp shot in "The Naked Now" as it looks terrible compared to the title credits, even though they're the same exact shot... minus the star chunk...

307817_227073774019563_100001508260548_663127_1480769065_n.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    I uploaded the new trailer, showing more improved shots:

http://www.startrek.com/article/the-next-generation-blu-rays-launch-in-2012
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Qo'noS has continents?! Since when? :p

What they showed looks good so far, definitely better than the CGI fest they did for TOS.
    Qo'noS has continents?! Since when? :p

What they showed looks good so far, definitely better than the CGI fest they did for TOS.

lol, I can't even find that shot in the screen caps of the SD episode on TrekCore... added shot anyone? :D

Yea, however, I'm not sure what they're going to do about the 2 foot model shots... it'll stand out like a sore thumb in 1080p...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow. I bet the VFX guys never dreamed that after being disappointed that all the effort they put into their models wasn't really able to be seen (check out those "aliens" from Encounter at Farpoint!) on tv, that 30 years later they would be rescanned and we'd be rescanning and seeing, for the first time, all their hard work paying off. :cool:
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they intentionally filmed the show this way so they could do precisely what they're doing now. Glad to see it actually happening!
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    If that's true, that's some pretty cool foresight. :)
    Comco wrote: »
    Wow. I bet the VFX guys never dreamed that after being disappointed that all the effort they put into their models wasn't really able to be seen (check out those "aliens" from Encounter at Farpoint!) on tv, that 30 years later they would be rescanned and we'd be rescanning and seeing, for the first time, all their hard work paying off. :cool:

Yeah, the amount of detail on those aliens is amazing. I never would have known that if it hadn't been for the rescanned version. I wonder what other treats are in store for us as they get more episodes done. :)
    Yeah, the amount of detail on those aliens is amazing. I never would have known that if it hadn't been for the rescanned version.

Same here.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Yeah, the amount of detail on those aliens is amazing. I never would have known that if it hadn't been for the rescanned version.

Same here.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    It means we'll be able to see where Nomad and the ship's only toilet are every time the engineering MSD is put on screen. Not to mention all the other Okuda in jokes floating around, heh.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    Great. Now I have a mental image of a group of Trekkies sitting very close to a 60-inch HDTV staring at a paused frame showing an MSD and one of them shouting triumphantly: "See! I told you there was a dolphin there!" :lol:
    The remastering is looking incredible... O_O

The actually put the energy beam in the correct spot... :p

Farpoint22.jpg

There seems to be no windows around the saucer rim though... lol

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/index.html

Original:

farpoint2_208.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    That looks fantastic! Cool to see they fixed that also. I hope they fix a similar error that happens in another future episode. I can't remember the title but it Picard stuck in a planet with an alien captain trying to communicate. The phasers were fired from the torpedo bay!

I wonder if they redid this shot above with CGI...maybe it isn't finished which may explain the lack of windows on the saucer rim.
    TrekMD wrote: »
    That looks fantastic! Cool to see they fixed that also. I hope they fix a similar error that happens in another future episode. I can't remember the title but it Picard stuck in a planet with an alien captain trying to communicate. The phasers were fired from the torpedo bay!

I remember that facepalm moment too, it's from Season 5 Episode 2, titled "Darmok," and Andrew Probert talked about these problems when I asked him, what the blue windows behind the main shuttle bay were supposed to be, and he was like:
    To answer this question, the only blue-square-lights behind the main bay is a pair of rectangular window sets over a crew lounge... and if the FX department could lower themselves to asking questions about the Designer's intent, they wouldn't have lit it blue. That's why you have tractor beams coming from the Enterprise's main deflector and torpedoes firing out of the Klingon's deflector; they just don't get it.

darmok273.jpg
    TrekMD wrote: »
    I wonder if they redid this shot above with CGI...maybe it isn't finished which may explain the lack of windows on the saucer rim.

They'd be cutting it pretty close, considering the release date is just over a week away... especially since these shots are taken for reviews...

It looks like the studio model, the lit windows match from what I can tell so far...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    The remastering is looking incredible... O_O

The actually put the energy beam in the correct spot... :p

Farpoint22.jpg

There seems to be no windows around the saucer rim though... lol
    that one's looking really wierd tbh, I'm impressed with the rest of it but that one looks very odd
    It's odd that there'd be no lights around the rim, especially if they are using Tobias' model, Not to mention they've got a very weird lighting rig in that scene, almost like they're oversaturating some areas.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    I'm guessing it's not tobias's in this case - you can't just edit out modeled windows easily, so it must be a missing texture which would suggest a different model, also the neck looks wrong like there's too many windows on it, which could be a texture at the wrong scale (looks like there's poly errors all over it too)

the lighting is a bit mental yeah, the light they've added on the hull from that beam doesn't fit at all, plus there's something distorted looking about the ship, it looks like it's been rendered close to the camera and then shrunk to fit, taking the wrong perspective with it, either that or it's been warped, it just doesn't look right

pretty sloppy that one, I hope there's not many like that
    Is it my imaginatio or is the neck too fat as well? And it's almost like they're using built in renderer glows for the deflector (or they've done a sloppy paint job).
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    yeah could be, something looks distorted about it anyway

I didn't want to get too nitpicky about the glows, but I spotted this earlier

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/exclusive_images/Farpoint/Farpoint04.jpg

where they've tried to add warp glow, the bloom on the left is actually darker than the surroundings, which doesn't happen in real life, so that's a bit annoying