Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Etc.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Yes, I said I forgot to mention it.

I say, I am very lucky to have my head attached. At times.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    More Stalling!!

paneled the pod, top of it anyways... added the aft hole.. though can't tell in these renders......

and done some decaling (red things...) not to much
    better, and more renders tomorow!!
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice job. I really love it.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    It's really looking great!

I've always liked this little guy, though the way it was presented on TNG (when it wasn't shot up or otherwise obliterated :p) never quite looked as nice as in the movie, IMO.
    Thanks guys/girls!

yeah, almost every time an oberth was on TNG, it was either destroyed, wrecked.. or phased in an asteroid!! poor poor science ship!! there suppose to be the safe ones! hell the one in STIII was destroyed to!! how does a science ship become cannon fodder? The Red Shirt of star trek ships! if you serve on it.. better have your will in order!!

okay some better renders!!

having problems with rendering on differnet computers!! the pod goes wonky on any other computer other than my home one! so i had to go back a version for the pod, without the panel lines.. but the decals are still good.. owell, i'll figure it out somehow!!

show some of the aft hole! with light in the tunnel!!

so.. Pictures!
    The fact that you are having problems with doing renenders on different computers is no surprise.

Back in the early 1980's, Scientific American had on article on just this topic.

Got news. Big news.

Computers aren't perfect.

The problem is quite complex.

If you have a pocket calculator, take it out, and repeatily square 1.01, I think, it might be 1.001, instead. Don not use the y^x key.

Do this also on your computer. After say twenty or reps, of this, compare the numbers. The gadgets you do this on the better.

What you will encounter, is something called rounding errors. The purpose of this little exercise is to magnify, the results, to show a computer's limits.

Then you have another problem. The programmer... They may have taken short cuts, and therefore goofed up the works still further.

To expand a little bit.

An eight bit computer, is only accurate to eight bits. This means that one part in 512...

A current CPU is accurate to one part in 2^64 bits. Not counting double precision of course.

So what you are seeing, in your attempts, is the failure of your computers to be perfect.
    yeah but 2? its not the computer, its Maya, or my copy of maya at home doing something that other copys don't like.. or interpret differently and its just that 1 part that its craping out on.. so either A. redo it again, maybe on the other computer, or B. colapse the mesh into somethng else, delete history, duplicate a few dozen times.. I duplicate parts in there non smoothed mesh form, and save them in an extra's layer, incase i have problems .. the original base mesh is fine, so it doesn't like what i done when i made some panels.. so i'm back to A or B.. redo it or see if i can fix the problem..

i've had the problem a few times before where a mesh goes cookoo, and all i have to do is re open it.. but this time it looks totaly fragged!! Yay!! And i thought i was finished rebuilding the pod.. for the Nth time!!! GRRRRR..

yeah.. computers Are Perfect.. at what there programed to do.. its human error on the part of the programer that creates the problems! ... so there's a missing period or quotations somewhere in the mess of code... egh all 3D software is buggy anyways...!
  • Elokim-SupremeElokim-Supreme171 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work!!!!
    Can you show a wire?
    The point is you may not have done anything wrong at all.

Just keep trying.

but remember don't give the computer a boot, it will brake your foot...
    okay, some good progress last night! Booleans worked well for me (for once) and she has a name!

Von Braun... !

and the darn pod has decided to cooperate!! which is a good thing!

put some more decals and name, only part left is some text on the warp naccelle...

next is..................... windows.......

can't find a good place for a forward torpedo laucher... so using the 6 holes on the aft part as a probe, satalite, torpedo launcher then.. good enough!!

Pictures (and wireframe!)
  • Elokim-SupremeElokim-Supreme171 Posts: 0Member
    excellent model! U did the panels after using a smooth modifier? are u using such modifier at all?
    used it after smoothing.. panels for me go all wonky if i smooth before, but sometimes i have to to get it right! need to get in to Sub d modeling though :) Thanks!
    okay, windows are in

added the shuttle bay And a Cargo bay on the side ( mirror for the other bay...) ..

used tng shuttle pods becasue i didn't have any movie era shuttles modeled..(well any small shuttles.. have the tmp shuttle modeled, but it would So not fit!) so just think that this ship lasted till 2360 :)

all the decaling is done, text is done, rcs thrusters are added (not included on the original model) running lights.. so about done! acctually can't think of anything else to do! (if you see anything let me know!)

going to make the trinity class next, but not starting that for abit.. not burned out but hand is kind of sore from finishing this.. need to give it a rest!!

so,, Pictures!!
    More Pictures and Ortho... for those Ortho Fetishists...:confused:
    ... and now for some use of Roliba's dock!!! .. which I Really need to redo the lights!!

but.. for now.. good enough!
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Good work my friend! One of the best Oberths out there!
  • BasillBasill172 Posts: 0Member
    Cargo bays! Weeeeeeee! :)

P.S. Edit: (Great work by the way. ;) )
    Hehe, sweet work. Nice to see her getting workmansship from them Corps of Engineers now as well.. ;) :P
  • admiral hortonadmiral horton201 Posts: 145Member
    great job i hope to see more of your work
    OKay, back to the Etc. page with a Romulan ship!!

D'Taka class, read in a book once, Lost Era, bout a D7/Ktinga romulan refit... been trying to think of how to do the nose forever, but came across some game designs that looked good.. don't know what timeframe the design was for, but i'm shooting for a 2290 - 2311 (when the tomed inccedent happened) so taking some cues from the game design, and adding some K'tinga styling and references to establish a family lineage.. and NO, i'm not adding the top naccelles.... just looks dumb....

so.. got so far as blocking out the major parts, and started in on the nose ( and yes, she'll have a bright painted bird on the bottom!!)

and yes.. an enemy ship for the Trinity!!

so pictures!
    not to much, smoothing things out, finalizing the wings and hull.. now to figure out where the weapons, vents, impulse, windows, etc. go, and figure in a length so i can scale properly.. so .. going forward!!

tried the idea of a swept back version... liked the fwd one better.. but keep it as an idea for latter!

Pictures!
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Simply awesome. ;)
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    I don't dislike the backswept version, but for obvious reasons it looks more klingon-related. I'd save the backswept wings for a "newer", smaller or faster ship :)
    I tend to agree with Melak, however, I think the backswept version shows the evolution that the Klingon-based Warships (TOS) were inflicting. Their design being incorporated and antered by time.
    Looks good, but I believe it can looks even better if you place smoothed wings (like the DA’deridex), without the "breaks". ;)
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah the rear-swept wings look too much Klingon. I like it so far, looking forward to seeing more :thumb:
    Yeah the rear-swept wings look too much Klingon. I like it so far, looking forward to seeing more :thumb:

Am going for a D7/K'tinga lineage.. refit maybe of the old D7 from TOS updated every 20 years or so, so in my mind the Romulan D7's were upgraded to the k'tinga variant in 2270's, then in 2290's was upgraded again to this version, or brand new design based off the old design.. but i like the idea of constantly upgrading every 20 years or so till the original frame gives out, like the B-52's or some aircraft carriers.. in my mind these were phased out after the Tomed Incedent in 2311.. being a dated design and all!
    ...like the B-52's or some aircraft carriers..

I got sidetracked.... When reading, in my mind I remembered a band named B-52A’s. :D Do you remember these ones?
    Private Idaho
    Summer Of Love
    Love Shack
    Roam

Back on topic, the upgrades sounds like an interesting route.
  • aylaa12aylaa120 Posts: 0Member
    nice can't wait to see more great work
    ... not much in modeling happening... guess taking a lull break

mustered enough strenght to clean up Roli's dock though, got rid of the horrible lights that got transfered over..! so just a quick comp of the dock and the Obe..