Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DUSS Unknown BG ship (JJ Trek)

• ParagonParagon0 Posts: 0Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's only 5 ships, and the fleet was 7 ships without the Enterprise, 8 in all.
  • universaltimuniversaltim0 Posts: 0Member
    As for their names, I distinctly remember hearing the name Mayflower, and in the wreckage there was a partially destroyed saucer with the name "...yflower". I don't know what the last one is named though.
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Right, we had already established that the Mayflower was one of the ships...sorry, I forgot to add it to my original post (which I have now corrected). Sorry about that! :(
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I'm sure it's not intentional but of course it makes perfect sense that there's a mystery to the identity of the seventh ship. Might as well be the final cylon.

Chris
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    Promus wrote: »
    Well, I really, REALLY like L-Gaim's classification definition ideas!! They REALLY make sense and the ignite that extra little spark of happiness within this ship junkie's heart. :lol:

In TOS, the dish was supposed to be a communications/sensor dish like the kind under the nose of an airplane (and Matt Jefferies' original design even had a "sensor cap" cover like an airplane, but it was removed in the final version to add more detail to the ship). Although the Movie's Enterprise has a "deflector" purpose for the dish, it would make sense that the older versions (Quad, Trike, Kelvin, etc) might not have the same purpose. Either way I'm sticking with what L-Gaim said because I like it a LOT. :D

EDIT: Some of the people over at Memory Alpha (The Star Trek Wiki) figured out the sixth ship's name - the USS Walcott. Which means that now we have:

USS Farragut
    USS Hood
    USS Truman
    USS Centaurus
    USS Walcott
    USS Mayflower

Unfortunately, not even the Memory Alpha people knew the name of the seventh ship, which shall remain a mystery...

What about the U.S.S. Antaries....or the Excelsior? (I read the novel version of the movie)
    I'm sure it's not intentional but of course it makes perfect sense that there's a mystery to the identity of the seventh ship. Might as well be the final cylon.

Chris

Haha, I like that...almost makes me not want to find out what "The Seventh Ship" (sounds like the title of a Dan Brown novel) is named. :lol:
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    Shot of the back of the Enterprise saucer, Iw as looking for this since I'd been thinking this shape would be on the back of the quad saucer at least and probably the other ships as well.

r2d2-a_01.jpg

Chris
  • L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, I really, REALLY like L-Gaim's classification definition ideas!! They REALLY make sense and the ignite that extra little spark of happiness within this ship junkie's heart. :lol:

In TOS, the dish was supposed to be a communications/sensor dish like the kind under the nose of an airplane (and Matt Jefferies' original design even had a "sensor cap" cover like an airplane, but it was removed in the final version to add more detail to the ship). Although the Movie's Enterprise has a "deflector" purpose for the dish, it would make sense that the older versions (Quad, Trike, Kelvin, etc) might not have the same purpose. Either way I'm sticking with what L-Gaim said because I like it a LOT. :D

EDIT: Some of the people over at Memory Alpha (The Star Trek Wiki) figured out the sixth ship's name - the USS Walcott. Which means that now we have:

USS Farragut
    USS Hood
    USS Truman
    USS Centaurus
    USS Walcott
    USS Mayflower

Unfortunately, not even the Memory Alpha people knew the name of the seventh ship, which shall remain a mystery...

:D *blushes*.

You answered my response about the dish, it's always seemed to me to be no different in purpose then those you see on a radio telescope. Big collector dish.

Yeah, I kept thinking, if your going to make a bunch of variants on the same design, there should be a reason in performance for them and thus the main mission purpose. The Enterprise seems to be the new generation of technology, while the rest is the more recent.

It's amazing how these ships have caught interest in so many of us. I think it shows that the "papa" design - The Kelvin, was just that good. :D

I'm also hoping that the four nacelle ships are/were The Hood and The Farragut. Just would seem to show some symmetry with the classic ones that bore the name.
    Shot of the back of the Enterprise saucer, Iw as looking for this since I'd been thinking this shape would be on the back of the quad saucer at least and probably the other ships as well.

r2d2-a_01.jpg

Chris

I think something like that is there, but as the days pass, I'm not recalling everything as clearly as I was. *embarrassed*
  • RekkertRekkert4046 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,304Member
    There is a new HQ picture with some ships here, maybe it can help a little.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ThinkPad760xdThinkPad760xd0 Posts: 0Member
    Ooh, nice clean image there. :)
    Sweet mercy, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw that!! THANKS for the link - I have no idea how you were able to find that!! :thumb:

You just gave us tons of fuel for our fan-driven fires...that single picture tells us a LOT about how the Quad and Trike are put together. It certainly helps more than just "a little!" :D

I've conveniently attached the picture to my post here.
    68572.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Fascinating... When I enlarge and brighten the image above, I can see that the Trike's saucer is cut like a 75% pie chart, with the opening facing backwards. There are two shuttle bays in that carved section, one on each side of the central support strut that houses the impulse engine. (At least they *appear* to be shuttle bays)

So it looks very much like a Miranda-class (Reliant) confiuration - complete with roll-bar. The only major difference is that it has three nacelles instead of two.

- As for the quad, it really only appears to have slightly more than half a saucer.

- The roll-bars on the trike and quad both have a the same thicker box in the center of the roll-bar, with two reddish holes facing backwards.
  • universaltimuniversaltim0 Posts: 0Member
    I was noticing that wedge shape piece in the Trike saucer too. I noted that on my iTrek thread with a blown up image of the Trike. And yep, it is very much like a Miranda class...only the Miranda has that larger block area on the aft end of the saucer, but that's okay. I can make do with this. As I said in my other thread, I will have to do some amending.

Now if they could just release the same kind of images for the rest of the ships.
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    OK with that new piccy in mind later on today i can actually get the right shape iin 3d

EDIT: If you look closely you can see the neck type thing on the TRIKE and QUAD similar to that on the enterprise and i have recently been thinking if someting like that had been there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I don't see the neck area being that similar to the Enterprise - beyond its basic form. The whole bridge area to the impulse engine looks like it is copied from the Kelvin.
    The roll-bar itself looks like it's shaped differently than on the Miranda class - for example, whereas the Miranda roll-bar formed a fairly "straight" bar when viewed from above, the Trike's roll-bar forms part of a circle when viewed from the top. You can see this better in the other (limited) pictures we've had of it...and the fact that the middle piece of the Trike's roll-bar is attached to the impulse pylon (which would be the back of a full saucer) confirms this. I hope I'm making sense!! :lol:
    The neck on the trike and quad is more like the enterprises on I mean from the bak end of the bridge to impulse beacsue don't forget that the kelvins neck has the secondary hull above it so actually it is more like the enterprises
    <:K.I.S:> wrote: »
    The neck on the trike and quad is more like the enterprises on I mean from the bak end of the bridge to impulse beacsue don't forget that the kelvins neck has the secondary hull above it so actually it is more like the enterprises

By "neck," do you mean that dorsal spine which runs along the top of the saucer, from the Bridge back to the impulse engine? It's visible on the top of the Enterprise's saucer, and underneath the secondary hull pylon of the Kelvin. That "spine" seems to be a crucial part to the construction of the Quad; on the Quad it's the only thing that sticks out from the half-saucer, and provides the anchor to which the secondary hull pylons are attached (and of course it's capped with the impulse engine).
    Hyperspace wrote: »
    I don't see the neck area being that similar to the Enterprise - beyond its basic form. The whole bridge area to the impulse engine looks like it is copied from the Kelvin.

Ahh yes sorry i ment on the QUAD not the trike aswell but yes on the trike it does have the same neck that loks as though its holding up the rollbar
    To me the Trike and Quad appear to have the same "neck" areas seem to be the same, with the exception of the connector between the Trike's neck and rollbar pod.
    Here, I took the image, brightened them and enlarged them as well. You can see the details mentioned on the Trike as well as some of the details of the Quad.

trike.jpg

quadj.jpg

trikebig.jpg

quadbig.jpg

It looks to me that the rollbar pod is a photon torpedo launcher with two aft tubes. You can also see that the saucer structure is almost the same if not. The spinal structures seem to be the same as the Impulse engine too. The center warp nacelle of the Trike seems elongated in the front and also, there looks like there could be a small strut coming up to the torpedo pod from the spine.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Sweet mercy, my eyes popped out of my head when I saw that!! THANKS for the link - I have no idea how you were able to find that!! :thumb:

You just gave us tons of fuel for our fan-driven fires...that single picture tells us a LOT about how the Quad and Trike are put together. It certainly helps more than just "a little!" :D

I've conveniently attached the picture to my post here.

Thank you muchly, for posting this screencap... I have to admit, I LOVE the look of that new ship in the upper right. Good to get a stable look at her.
    ^ No problem, BA!! Nice to see you join in the fun. :D

I like the Trike, too...I still can't figure out if I like the Trike or Quad more. :lol:
    I prefer the QUAD.
    You know, I was wondering where the deflector on the Trike was, when I decided to look at some similar designs for clues...

Where is the Miranda class's deflector? Are we sure they're really necessary?
    I always thoufht that the mirandas was on the block on the roll bar but just didnt glow like the others
    <:K.I.S:> wrote: »
    I always thoufht that the mirandas was on the block on the roll bar but just didnt glow like the others

It was, at least one of them.

With the Enterprise, the dish wasn't really the deflector, it was the mechanism to the sides and below, a total of three.

deflectorenterprise.gif

With the Reliant, they are the circled portions. Go look at your model kits and other pictures, they're the same design. Also, if they aren't the deflector system, what are they then, for those who'll say that they aren't the deflector system.

deflectorreliant1.gif

deflectorreliant2.gif
    So...what was the dish on the Enterprise then?
    Paragon wrote: »
    So...what was the dish on the Enterprise then?

A collector dish for passive and active signals from the sensors. Think radar dishes and radio astronomy.

The thing is, it was called the deflector dish at some point and it stuck. Then with at least the TNG Enterprise-D, it had the three deflectors added into the dish, same with the USS Voyager's.