Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• firstangelfirstangel0 Posts: 0Member
    yeah i could see madkoifish could knock that right out of the park with some armed plating like on the enterprise- E in nemesis with some hints to jj abrams ship and that one know that would look hot.
    tobiasricher you should take a swing a that ship and make it look better you did a awesome job with this one.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    That design has some nice ideas, but the proportions are just way off. Compared to that, the JJPrise is a beauty :lol:

fq - Polycount is around 1.2million. I do not plan to make an extensive animation with the ship at the moment - just a couple of short tests. Render times largely depend on the size of the frame, the render quality, the shaders (the shaders on the E are a bit more complex then usual) and the render effects (e.g. motion blur). If you render just 720p instead of 1080, this alone will shave off around 50% of your rendering time. In the case of the E, the large amounts of small lights are a large factor - without the lights, it renders in 2-3 minutes, with lights on it takes 3-4 times longer. Finalgather would be slightly faster, but the results are not as good as with real lights.

Hope that helps
  • That post was a joke right? JJ has nothing to do with that ship at ALL.... Thats a fan made model from a couple of years ago it was even posted here...

(That youtube link)
  • It's okay now, first I send the guy a comment with a request to change the credits, he deleted it right away, so I send complaint to youtube, and they removed it.

Still have the model somewhere, but don't be bothered with it anymore! ) I'm completely out of business now... as I'm more into post apocalyptic stuff.... ohh ! By the way, everyone should pre order "Metro 2033" ;))
    Hey skykirk do a new take on it things have changed since then you should still be able too.
    i'm just asking since back then people in here use to make there own ships up based on trek now all they do is remake the same old ships over and over it seems like people forgot how to make plain out of left field ships. i say grab a ship break it down and come up with something new how many connies can a person look at already.
    lol hahaha but i do luv this one tobiasrichter awesome job you have some skills there.
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Tobias, Great work! Question, i work on maya as well, you seem to have 3 spec maps... how do you put that on to 1 object? just wondering! Thanks!
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work here. I'd also like to know the answer to what Val said may come in handy in the future.
    You can built very powerful shadertrees very easily in Maya. The easiest is just to use the "gain" and "offset"color attribute in the file node. I also often use the multiplydivide or blend color nodes - and of course remap ramps. Just grabbed the shader in the hypershade for the main saucer material. Top input is bummap, middle is specular, lower input is color. Most of the times a connection between one file node to another it goes into gain or offset.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    I use the computers in my studio to render animations - or do it overnight. Since this model requires a lot of ram for textures and shadowmaps, itA’s no good working on that computer when it renders :rolleyes: I plan to go to 64bit this year, then this wonA’t be such a problem (well, its not a big problem, just a nuisance at the moment)

I HAD to go to 64-bit to render my SOTL shot at print-rez size, as it just choked and screamed in 32. :argh:

deg
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    I'm jealous of you guys. I want to work on SOTL next time! :p
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    ^I used to feel the same way, but I've seen lots of bad judgement and now I don't care for it so much any more
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Thanks Tobias! the picture really helped!

yeah. i understand on the renders as well, my home one couldn't render my cheyenne at production quality... or at all! when the textures were on, so i had to use the work one, which is a good powerhouse 64bit unit.

Goodluck with the calender Tobias, Deg.. looking forward to it!
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    I'm jealous of you guys. I want to work on SOTL next time! :p

Maybe one day, my friend. ;)
    Goodluck with the calender Tobias, Deg.. looking forward to it!

Thank, VALKYRIE013. :)

And Tobias, you're doing two shots for 2011, correct?

deg
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful work mate, awesome.

The bump maps in the texure, do you have any plans to turn these into actual detail in the mesh? (I know, I know, "wtf, are you crazy!" ;))
  • count23count23368 Posts: 787Member
    Tobias, will you be updating your Mayflower, Newton, Armstrong and Kelvin class meshes too?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    deg - yes - one with the E and one with the Kelvin.

wiz - no, I guess I already have modelled in some places more then the ILM model has. The remaining bumpmaps are basically just minimal lines around the plates, it would make no sense to model those. It would just slow down renderings times and be a potential cause for aliasing. One of the challenges in building a good model is to know how deep to go with detail :)

nad - I have updated my Kelvin model a bit - just minor touchups, mostly for the windows and the back of the pylons. I will not update the other ships, as they are just very small in the final pic - you would not notice any changes there.
  • count23count23368 Posts: 787Member
    Where did you find the reference material for those ships anyway? I'm amazed that you got them and in such high details. I couldn't find them on my DVD set so i had originally assumed you simply used the little on-screen references you had to make them... but someone told me there was a special feature on the DVDs which showed their models up close?
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
  • Klavs81Klavs81224 Posts: 197Member
    Yii! Awesome work!
  • centuriancenturian331 Posts: 0Member
    I second that totally awsome job!!!
  • cockroagecockroage0 Posts: 0Member
    wow... that's so amazing...
  • dave55408dave554080 Posts: 0Member
    _________________ .
    |________________|) .-' `-.
    || /
    || /
    ___||_,--| _.--, |
    |_________|______/_.-. | |
    |______ | _`-' | |
    || `--| `--' |
    || /
    ____________||___ /
    |________________|) `-. .-'
    `
    '
  • Lol Dave worked when i viewed it in my email program.... not here :D
  • Beda of BorgBeda of Borg0 Posts: 0Member
    dave55408 wrote: »
    _________________ .
    |________________|) .-' `-.
    || /
    || /
    ___||_,--| _.--, |
    |_________|______/_.-. | |
    |______ | _`-' | |
    || `--| `--' |
    || /
    ____________||___ /
    |________________|) `-. .-'
    `
    '

wtf... oO
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Yes, it worked on e-mail but not here for whatever reason.
  • Voyager1Voyager1331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow! This is definitely the best STXI model I have seen to date.:thumb:
  • Shellhead1Shellhead10 Posts: 0Member
    Is this Enterprise model available yet? I've loved Tobias' work for years (right down to the old Amiga game), and am thrilled to see his JJ-prise model!!
  • Jonny BoyJonny Boy1 Posts: 0Member
    Shellhead1...

Unfortunately, Tobias has stated previously that, due to the time and effort, not to mention the considerable difficulty and the amazing results, he probably won't be releasing this model, though he does plan on rendering many different shots to satiate us.