Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• BartolomeusBartolomeus171 Posts: 0Member
    Outstanding model Tobias. Amazing work!
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    The detail on the nacelle is insane.
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    That's is just uber-cool and awesome building, my friend! :)

deg
  • BasajaunBasajaun183 Posts: 0Member
    I love the detail on those bussard collectors, this model looks fantastic so far.
  • fq340fq340171 Posts: 0Member
    Getting better and better with every update.
    I thought the model was finished when you released the video, how naive i was and how much passion you have :)

ps: A small question about lightning the scene: How many lights are there on the scene (apart from the ones on the E) i.e. the one where E follows K to the distant galaxy thingy, or the one with asteroids.
    I finished modeling (next to yours mine is a joke) but could not set the lights to resemble space scene without discoloring the ships texture or rendering its lights invisible.

thanx
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Looks better and better!

Going by the final scene of the movie when the Enterprise is going to warp, the nacelle fans spin away from the centerline of the ship. The starboard nacelle fan spins counterclockwise, the port fan spins clockwise. And I'd say they spin quite rapidly.
  • RAF-MXRAF-MX12 Posts: 0Member
    How you can get something perfect for what is already perfect? ...
    Tobiasritcher knows how to do it!
    Un trabajo absolutamente perfecto !!!
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    fq - the scene is lighted with 4 area lights. One main (sun) light, a light for the ambient occlusion and 2 dimmer lights for the rim lights.

Finished the nacelles today. Heavy remodelling on the back and a lot of detail changes in geometry and textures...

I might revisit the deflector dish once more, apart from that, geometry updates are done. Still have to rework some of the textures of the secondary hull and saucer. And of course refine that specular effect.

Polycount has risen quite a bit. From originally 450K up to 1.15 million polys. Lights count is now by around 350... :cool:

Still renders in a decent timeframe - 3-20 minutes, depending on antialias setting.
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, very nice.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    RAF-MX wrote: »
    How you can get something perfect for what is already perfect? ...
    Tobiasritcher knows how to do it!
    Un trabajo absolutamente perfecto !!!

Well said my friend, well said.:thumb:
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    wow! hmm.. i had to use 6 lights and 2 ambients to get mine right... though that was for the in process with labert shading... hmm.. might try some less lights :)

mine is bogging down when i render mine now... guess i have to many booleans or something >_< , does that ever happen to you with maya? long saving times? long render times, even at preview quality? just asking.. never gotten this far before on a model :)

Great work.. Insperation to us, and fellow maya modelers!
  • fq340fq340171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanx for the info tobias, ill try with your settings, however its not the count its how you use them, right ;)

oh, man, the detail on the nacelles..
    You are killing me..
  • EBOLIIEBOLII206 Posts: 364Member
    wow...speechless.......
  • tbowertbower0 Posts: 0Member
    As just your average fan who loves the ship, I can't wait to see some more HQ wallpapers of this wonderful art. This stuff rivals what the "pros" at ILM did, and probably includes more detail!
    As I said, got back to the deflector dish and did a complete rebuild and retexture. Before, it was a bit hacked with a glow added with an additional object. None of that anymore, although the glow pass will have to be added later. This is just directly from render, with a second picture without the internal lights and textures, cause itA’s hard to make out the detail with the textures on.

That should be it for geometry... (keeps fingers crossed). Will do some adjustments to textures next week.

Tobias

Valk - I try to use as few booleans as possible, and if I use them, I clean up the geometry right after. Render times on this one are pretty long, but that is to be expected for such a large model.
    77546.jpg
  • Jedi2016Jedi20160 Posts: 0Member
    As for the lighting scenario, I've had some pretty good results lately using only radiosity illumination. When I was fiddling with MadMan's Enterprise, I did a few test renders of the untextured model, and the glowy bits along the bridge tail and nacelles were illuminating properly, just based on the luminosity of the polygons. I think in the right situation, the only time you'd need lights would be when something is more directly illuminated, with a visible spotlight or something. I've actually been thinking of converting your Kelvin over to linear color space to take advantage of this.
    THat's just an all-'round amazing piece of work, my friend. Are those panels lines bump masks?

And, I assume you model this organic shape in subD and then freeze the mesh to then work in the details polygonally. Is that you work-flow?

Awesome work, dude. You are indeed a unique inspiration to the craft, eh. :)

deg
    yeah, Dimitri had a tut on how to do windows without booleans.. i'll go that rought next time :)

Looks excellent sir! and.. same question as Deg, whats ur work flow??

Thanks!
    Tobias, that deflector looks amazing!
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Tobias, that deflector looks amazing!

A master of understatement, I think that dish is about as perfect as it can get. I didn't think it could look better Tobias, you have proven me wrong.
    deg3D wrote: »
    THat's just an all-'round amazing piece of work, my friend. Are those panels lines bump masks?

And, I assume you model this organic shape in subD and then freeze the mesh to then work in the details polygonally. Is that you work-flow?

Awesome work, dude. You are indeed a unique inspiration to the craft, eh. :)

deg

Thanks a lot!

The panel lines on the secondary hull and nacelles are all bumps, the big ones on the saucer are modelled. Most of the ships was done using subD, and I try to keep them til the latest step possible, in case I have to make adjustments to the shape. The only thing added are the booled out windows in the secondary hull.

EDIT - did some work on the textures of the secondary hull - more detail and a new one for the recessed area on top of the secondary hull. Very subtle, but noticeable...

Tobias
    Hmmm...would that new detail happen to be those nice bits of panelling aft of those twin lights?
    Wow. And I thought your Kelvin had a lot of detail.
    Shadow - exactly, among other, even more subtle things :D

Back to the saucer, reworking the textures, especially the specular ones. The ILM model has some really strange spec map effects that I try to mimic. This should work pretty nice, have to do the same to secondary and nacelles as well.
    looks busy!.. guessing since it was hand made and welded! Great Job!
  • harry33harry33343 Posts: 0Member
    A masterpiece in CGI work!Respect!
    Man, you're really being a perfectionist on this one. I like it. :thumb:

Any thoughts about what you are going to do for SOTL?
    Thanks a lot!

The panel lines on the secondary hull and nacelles are all bumps, the big ones on the saucer are modelled. Most of the ships was done using subD, and I try to keep them til the latest step possible, in case I have to make adjustments to the shape. The only thing added are the booled out windows in the secondary hull.

EDIT - did some work on the textures of the secondary hull - more detail and a new one for the recessed area on top of the secondary hull. Very subtle, but noticeable...

Tobias

Thanks, dude, and yep, same as my work-flow, eh. New stuff looks AMAZING!
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Man, you're really being a perfectionist on this one. I like it. :thumb:

Any thoughts about what you are going to do for SOTL?

Best get crackin', due in less than two weeks! ;)

deg
    I just wish I could model as well as you guys. Perhaps in time. :)
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Yo, Pixel, give yourself more credit, man! You're one of the best modellers on the site. :)