Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Which would be a pain since there is very little reference of the deflector in warp state...
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Well, in the closing scene of the movie when the Enterprise is preparing to go to warp you can see the deflector open up, and there are one or two other times when you get a quick look at it...so I'm assuming HD bluray screen caps would be the way to go for that kind of reference.
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    Just out of curiosity. Tobias, you planning on doing any other ship from STXI? I haven't seen anyone take a stab at the Klingon Warbird yet. Would love to see your hand at it. Please and thank you. :p
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias,

Have you considered sending some of your images, or linking this forum posting to Ryan Church? I am certain that he would be interested in it, your work is amazing, considering we have never seen any officially released data from ILM except for the feature film and subsequent docos on the blueray edition. Just a thought.

Chris
  • halhal192 Posts: 157Member
    Just out of curiosity. Tobias, you planning on doing any other ship from STXI? I haven't seen anyone take a stab at the Klingon Warbird yet. Would love to see your hand at it. Please and thank you. :p

Tobias made an excellent model of the Kelvin.

Good work man, the model look fantastic. What are you actually using for references if your not using screen grabs?
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Minor update - I am still tweaking all over the ship... This time I corrected the area behind the dish. This was 100% guesswork before - and guess what - it was wrong :lol:.

Johnny - I do not plan to do any other ships of the movie. The Klingon would certainly be nice, but IA’ll stay away from any designs that I do not have sufficient reference to work with for the near future. Aside, after the E IA’ll go back to the Phase II effects shots.

Saulterian - if you have Ryans email, IA’d love to send him some pics when IA’m done.

Hal - I use all available data - screengrabs off the BluRay, the "Art of" book, and some other sources...
  • saulteniansaultenian331 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias,

I love your humility about "getting things wrong". That is what I love about your project, you are discovering things about the ship every day.

Ryan's Website: Ryan Church

Ryan's Email Address: [email protected]

Thanks for all of your efforts....

Chris
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Humm, you must know someone at ILM, otherwise I have no idea how you'd be able to tell what's behind the dish. :D
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for all your nice comments, always good to hear that!

Here are some orthos for those interested...

I think I have to clear up some space, so I might delete older pics in this thread soon.

Wiz - yes, thatA’s me. Team 17 - thatA’s quite some time ago, glad they are still around. In fact, I just recently had a short email conversation with Martyn after about 15 years :D

Cool! Yeah great to see Team17 are still going (many fond memories).

I was over there for a while back in the days of Worms on the PlayStation; actually that reminds me if you look at the screenshots on the back on the PS version you will see one of the worms is called Wiz :)
    Thanks for all your nice comments, always good to hear that!

Here are some orthos for those interested...

I think I have to clear up some space, so I might delete older pics in this thread soon.

Wiz - yes, thatA’s me. Team 17 - thatA’s quite some time ago, glad they are still around. In fact, I just recently had a short email conversation with Martyn after about 15 years :D

Cool! Yeah great to see Team17 are still going (many fond memories).

I was over there for a while back in the days of Worms on the PlayStation; actually that reminds me if you look at the screenshots on the back on the PS version you will see one of the worms is called Wiz :)

Edit: Great work on the update mate, how much further are you taking this model?
    BTW Tobias, since it's not quite final yet, I don't feel TOO bad about bringing this up. The Starfleet emblem on the pennant needs to be slightly more stylized. Also, your "font"(I don't know how you do registries, lol) on the bottom of the secondary hull is off. Your's seems to be the same as the saucer, but it needs to be the same as the nacelles with the angled edges. See attached image to see both. :D

Also, random note, but if you try to recreate the Enterprise above Titan image, your's will actually be more accurate than the movie. For some reason, despite that being one of the most impressive visuals with the Enterprise in the movie, ILM forgot to paint the NCC-1701 on the bottom of the secondary hull for that scene. :lol:
    77170.JPG
    For some reason, despite that being one of the most impressive visuals with the Enterprise in the movie, ILM forgot to paint the NCC-1701 on the bottom of the secondary hull for that scene. :lol:

No they didn't I just looked at the movie and it's there. It's hard to see, but it's there.
  • Jedi2016Jedi20160 Posts: 0Member
    Hate to disagree with you, PM, but I've got a BD screencap of that shot, as well as the original raw render that ILM released, and there is zero text on the bottom of the saucer.

Are we sure there's supposed to be text on the bottom? Are there shots of the saucer in the film that clearly show it?
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    Not the bottom of the saucer, the bottom of the secondary hull. There isn't any registry on the bottom of the saucer.
    PixelMagic is still correct.
    YouA’re right - IA’ve to change the font on the bottom. Thanks for watching out...

Again more updates/detail work. It doesnA’t seem to end - this thread is one year and 2 days old. :o

Reworked the docking ports and the hatches on the bottom side of the saucer near the neck (no idea what they are for...)

Also completely reworked the impulse engine - this time with much more detail. I like the look of the engine, real nice in closeup.

More to come...
    77197.jpg
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    The new impulse detail rocks Tobias!

Man this great; I look forward to seeing some more of your Phase 2 stuff latter on down the road as well.
    Beautiful work mate!
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Great modelling, as always.

But I think the bump maps are too much.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    Whoah that's just too awesome :D Amazing detail work !
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent work.
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    thumbs up! :thumb:
    Nice work on the impulse engine!

As to the hatches on the underside of the saucer...maybe they're ejection hatches for the fusion reactors?
  • Jedi2016Jedi20160 Posts: 0Member
    Not the bottom of the saucer, the bottom of the secondary hull. There isn't any registry on the bottom of the saucer.
    PixelMagic is still correct.
    Secondary, primary, whatever... oops. :) Sorry, Pixel. :(

Tobias, question for ya:

You're using Maya, if I'm not mistaken? How are you getting some of those lighting effects on the hull? Like along the top of the nacelles and the "spine" coming back from the bridge module? There's strips of lighting there, and your lighting for those spots is very smooth. Normally I "fake" that sort of thing in LW by using a series of point lights along edges like that, because linear lights take too long to render at high quality, but it doesn't look like that's what you're doing. Also, for the impulse lighting, do you have lights there, or are you just using reflections on that latticework? Almost looks like a combination of both.

I did a complete re-light of your Kelvin, and ended up with several hundred lights all over the ship, especially around the bussard collector.
    Hi there, some update - almost done with saucer detail (again :) )... Revisited the phaser bank. The phaser spheres are identical, just one of them is turned to the back. Changed also lots of details on the saucer surface and the bridge windows.

Jedi - the lighting effect is done all with real lights, for those longer areas (like the nacelle top or the bridge neck) with area lights. The impulse engine has 10 or 12 area lights in it, one for each row.

Just counted the lights - oooops - 280 by now :o - no wonder render times are slowing down... I could have gone with finalgather for some of the effects, but IA’d rather have control over the picture.

The Kelvin has also a lot of lights - somewhere between 100 and 200 if I remember correctly.
    77230.jpg
    Nothing to say really, other than looks great! :)
  • lennier1lennier1919 Posts: 1,287Member
    Great progress as usual.
    Will there be an animation on your company's portfolio page once you're finished with the improvements?
    Looks pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. The ONLY thing I notice is that the gridlines on the saucer are triangle shaped in their dip on yours, like 45 degrees, instead of having 90 degree walls like on the ILM model.

However, that would only be noticeable at close renders, far away it wouldn't matter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    speachless :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    PixelMagic wrote: »
    Looks pretty much perfect as far as I'm concerned. The ONLY thing I notice is that the gridlines on the saucer are triangle shaped in their dipped on yours, like 45 degrees, instead of having 90 degree walls like on the ILM model.

However, that would only be noticeable at close renders, far away it wouldn't matter.

Could you clarify or post a picture of what you mean?
    I dont quite understand but I'd like to!
  • StarshipStarship482 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,997Member
    Dear Lord! I donA’t have words!